PDA

View Full Version : NY Jets Release WR Laveranues Coles

steelerdave1969
02-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Anyone else suprised ? I Am
Also on ESPNNews right now they say the Rams just released QB Trent Green and WR Drew Bennett...

revefsreleets
02-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm beginning to think we will actually be able to UPGRADE at #3 WR this season if Nate goes buh-bye...

steelerbuckeye
02-25-2009, 06:12 PM
I wonder if St Louis also released Green's on-site ambulence

Galax Steeler
02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Wow I didn't see that one a coming he will make a good one for someone this year.

steelerbuckeye
02-25-2009, 06:56 PM
A couple of weeks ago, Mangini was saying that he wanted a WR from the Jets. I wonder if this is who he was referring to.

Also, there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity. Coles gave up 6 million in guaranteed money in search of even more so now the Jets owe him nothing.

MasterOfPuppets
02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
wow....the jets have been needing a legit 3rd receiver for awhile to go with coles and cotchery.....now they need two.....:doh:

lilyoder6
02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
the jets are morons..

as for coles.. i would think he would like to be re-united with chad pennington down in miami..

tony hipchest
02-25-2009, 08:56 PM
the jets are morons..

as for coles.. i would think he would like to be re-united with chad pennington down in miami..

:tap: good call. (did parcells draft coles too?)

CantStop85
02-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Also, there is a fine line between bravery and stupidity. Coles gave up 6 million in guaranteed money in search of even more so now the Jets owe him nothing.

The Jets cut Coles...they still owe him 6 million regardless. If anything it's a stupid move by the Jets...they're going to have pay his salary anyway and they'll probably have to pay for someone to replace him on top of that.

MasterOfPuppets
02-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Coles, 31, was heading into the final year of his contract, but was looking for a long-term deal. Because of the compromise between the sides, the Jets are off the hook for the guaranteed $6 million Coles was due this upcoming season.

Before last season, Coles threatened to sit out during the offseason program because he wanted a long-term deal, but coach Eric Mangini - during a trip to the receiver's home - convinced him to back off his demands after expressing that he was an invaluable part of the team. The Jets then had the final two years of Coles' contract - about $11 million - guaranteed in a good-faith move.

That would've put the Jets on the hook for his salary this season if not for the compromise.

Coles told The Star-Ledger of Newark that he could still end up re-signing with the Jets.

"We didn't leave on bad terms," Coles told the newspaper. "It's not out of the question that I could come back."

Coles, from Jacksonville, could possibly seek a reunion with Pennington and try to sign with the Dolphins. Also, Bill Parcells, the man who drafted Coles when he was with the Jets as general manager, is currently the Dolphins' executive vice president of football operations.http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9265556/Jets-WR-Coles-to-become-free-agent

devilsdancefloor
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
wow the jets are so disfunctional when i see this kind of crap i thank the football gods we have such a great owner and FO!