PDA

View Full Version : Ravens cut off talks with C Jason Brown

Fire Haley
02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
And the first domino has fallen.

According to an NFL source, the club has informed center Jason Brown that he is not in their plans for the 2009 season.

Brown, who turns 26 in June, is expected to garner immediate, strong interest from four or five clubs when the NFL’s free-agency period opens at 12:01 a.m. Friday. Brown started in '06 and '07 at guard for the Ravens, before moving to center to replace Mike Flynn last season.

The move to let Brown leave allows Baltimore to focus on its two free-agent linebackers, Bart Scott and Ray Lewis.

Negotiations are ongoing with both players -- with the expectation that the Ravens will be able re-sign one, but not both -- and are expected to run up to midnight, when the club will lose exclusive negotiating rights.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/real_scouts/entry/view/17462/ravens_cut_off_talks_with_c_jason_brown

---------------------------------

Gutting their O-line to try and keep RayRay?

ha ha!

devilsdancefloor
02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
that is pretty funny that would take ray ray over a guy who is just coming into his own!

lilyoder6
02-26-2009, 02:12 PM
that is suprising.. there starting center and young at that.. ravens are gonna miss him

OneForTheToe
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM
that is pretty funny that would take ray ray over a guy who is just coming into his own!

Yes, if the Steelers had to chose between a 35+ former great linebacker and 25 year-old future great, they would probably plug in the linebacker's replacement and move on. If the Ravens keep their three linebakers they will be a Super Bowl contender next season. However, with or without cap, they are mortgaging their future.

KeiselPower99
02-26-2009, 02:26 PM
I hope Lewis and Scott bolt as soon as the clock reads 12:01. They are getting rid of so many guys their is no way they will challenge us next year

Edman
02-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Getting rid of the protection for your young franchise QB to sign an aging LB who dances a lot and another LB who talks just as much and only claim to fame is a blindside hit on a Quarterback?

Keep it going, Baltimore.

The_WARDen
02-26-2009, 04:15 PM

maybe they were afraid that Ray Ray would stab them?

Preacher
02-26-2009, 05:07 PM
OK... I know I can't be the first one to think this. . .

But of all the problems we have had. Does ANYONE think that it wouldn't be a SERIOUS upgrade to make an attempt at this guy? Hartwig could then be moved to left or right guard to try and get one of those positions. . . or cut, saving more cap space (though he doesn't take up a lot of cap space anyways).

Then we pick up one more OL in the draft. I LIKE starks at LT. Sign him long term, and we are 60 percent home on retooling our line.

Steelman16
02-26-2009, 05:24 PM
OK... I know I can't be the first one to think this. . .

But of all the problems we have had. Does ANYONE think that it wouldn't be a SERIOUS upgrade to make an attempt at this guy? Hartwig could then be moved to left or right guard to try and get one of those positions. . . or cut, saving more cap space (though he doesn't take up a lot of cap space anyways).

Then we pick up one more OL in the draft. I LIKE starks at LT. Sign him long term, and we are 60 percent home on retooling our line.

Actually, I think that idea might work. I like Starks at LT too, but we need a RT extremely bad. Colon ain't the answer, and I find it hard to believe we'd resign him.

Did Hartwig ever play either guard position?

KeiselPower99
02-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Actually, I think that idea might work. I like Starks at LT too, but we need a RT extremely bad. Colon ain't the answer, and I find it hard to believe we'd resign him.

Maybe he did for Tennessee I cant remember. I do know he refused a move to guard for Carolina hence the reason he was cut by them.

Preacher
02-26-2009, 05:31 PM

With talk of Saturday coming and wanting to play for us, even at Guard, heck, cut Hartwig and put this kid in. Move Saturday right Guard and make Simmons fight Kemo for LG. Draft for LT if possible.

Steelman16
02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
So now with Simmons being cut, perhaps this whole deal is actually feasible.

Starks/Kemo/Brown/Saturday/Colon or drafted T

I think I'd go for that lineup. (minus Colon :chuckle: )

steelerdave1969
02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I think that C Jason Brown being signed and letting Hartwig move on would be the only way they could/would do this. I think that way then they can sign Jeff Saturday to take over at RG.

NEPAsteeler
02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Count Jeff Saturday out, he signed a 3-year contract with the Colts today.

Preacher
02-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Count Jeff Saturday out, he signed a 3-year contract with the Colts today.

Colts C Saturday agrees to 3-year-deal

By MICHAEL MAROT 36 minutes ago
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday has agreed to a three-year deal hours before he was expected to become a free agent.
Saturday's agent, Ralph Cindrich, confirmed the deal to The Associated Press on Thursday night. He didn't disclose financial details but says the deal will make the three-time Pro Bowler one of the highest-paid centers in the NFL.
The move came a day after the NFL salary cap increased from $123 million to $127 million. It was also a day after the Colts officially released Marvin Harrison, freeing up $6 million under the salary cap.
Several key Colts players were slated to become free agents Friday.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iyQ4gNfmXW8BM3LiMe2rilsW23uAD96JJEFG0

MasterOfPuppets
02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
everybody was ignoring the fact that saturday has been in a zone blocking system his entire carrear.... he wouldn't have worked out to well on the steelers line. Brown on the other hand would be a great addition....: he practices against the fat bastards on the ratbirds, and could supply valuable insight into thier players and D. :thumbsup: