Former Giants, Raiders safety Wilson signs with Dolphins
Associated Press

Gibril Wilson, S
Miami Dolphins

2008 Statistics
Tackles: 129
Sacks: 1.5
Interceptions: 2
MIAMI -- Safety Gibril Wilson has signed a multiyear contract with the Miami Dolphins, who are on the verge of losing three defensive backs to free agency.

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the five-year, $27.5 million contract includes $8 million guaranteed and $16.5 million in the dealís first three years.

Wilson, a five-year NFL veteran, signed Thursday after being released last week by the Oakland Raiders. He spent four seasons with the New York Giants and started at free safety for their 2007 Super Bowl championship team.

The signing signals the likely departure of Yeremiah Bell or Renaldo Hill, the Dolphins' starting safeties. Barring last-minute deals, Bell and Hill were to become unrestricted free agents Friday, as was cornerback Andre Goodman.

Wilson has 66 career starts, including 15 last season, when he played strong safety and made 129 tackles with two interceptions.

lilyoder6
02-26-2009, 01:18 PM
i thought FA didn't start til midnight today???

tony hipchest
02-26-2009, 01:21 PM
i thought FA didn't start til midnight today???he wasnt a free agent signed from another team, he was a cut player signed off the street.

KeiselPower99
02-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Guys that have been released can sign as soon as they have been let go.

steelerdave1969
02-26-2009, 05:57 PM
For him to be released by the Raiders and picked up by the Dolphins who actually have a brite future he must feel like he just hit the lotto!!
But I wouldnt want the guy

tony hipchest
02-26-2009, 06:17 PM
For him to be released by the Raiders and picked up by the Dolphins who actually have a brite future he must feel like he just hit the lotto!!
But I wouldnt want the guyto cash in on an $8 mil guaranteed signing bonus from the dolphins a year after cashing in on a multi million dollar guaranteed signing bonus from the raiders, he must feel like he hit the lotto.

...infact, he did.

The Duke
02-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Looks like yeremiah bell isnt going to return as a dolphin?

He was resigned today actually

fins secondary is looking good. Wilson wasn't bad in oakland at all, he'll definitely help them

but he's not an elite safety either....

XxKnightxX
02-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Hopefully he learned his lesson not to sell your soul after winning a Super Bowl, hes one hell of a lucky man

NJarhead
02-26-2009, 06:44 PM
That's a good signing for both the player and the team IMO. Gerbal began with ball hawking skills. Somehow he developed a rep for big hits. Either way, he's a quality player (not a superstar mind you) and I think he'll improve that defense. I'm sure Peezy is happy.