BlastFurnace
02-26-2009, 03:13 PM
1st round level for Colon
none for A. Smith
low level for McHugh and Madison
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg.../951905-100.stm

FacemeIke
02-26-2009, 03:24 PM
So the way I understand it is that we offered Colon $2.1 mill for 1 yr. If someone comes along and offers him more money then we can either match their offer or let him go for a first round pick. Is my understanding correct?

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Bye Bye Anthony Smith!

BlastFurnace
02-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Bye Bye Anthony Smith!

IF the kid gets his head on straight, he is going to be good. It's up to him.

Watch him end up in Baltimore.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-26-2009, 03:47 PM
^ Exactly Which Y I wish We Kept HIm But Yea HIs Head Is On Wrong So We Did The Right Thing Wit Him! Who Is Goin To Replace Him?

steelersfanman92
02-26-2009, 03:48 PM
IF the kid gets his head on straight, he is going to be good. It's up to him.

Watch him end up in Baltimore.

He would certainly fit in in Baltimore

Steely McSmash
02-26-2009, 03:50 PM
^ Exactly Which Y I wish We Kept HIm But Yea HIs Head Is On Wrong So We Did The Right Thing Wit Him! Who Is Goin To Replace Him?

Ryan Mundy perhaps

I've always thought Deshea would make a good FS to extend his career since he's such a brainy player.

Steelman16
02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Ryan Mundy perhaps

I've always thought Deshea would make a good FS to extend his career since he's such a brainy player.

I'm still hoping Mundy pans out for us. I loved that pick.

Be nice to keep McHugh. If we do, Davis needs to be cut.

BlastFurnace
02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
He would certainly fit in in Baltimore

Say what you want about Ray Lewis. If Ray stays, he's the type of personality that can get to a kid like Smith.

mopit55
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
i prefer ryan mundy over smith maybe the next free safety? he's physically strong.

KeiselPower99
02-26-2009, 04:24 PM
So the way I understand it is that we offered Colon $2.1 mill for 1 yr. If someone comes along and offers him more money then we can either match their offer or let him go for a first round pick. Is my understanding correct?

You are correct. Actually we get a 1st and a 3rd. Maybe they are gonna move him inside to replace Simmons now?? As for Smith ever since he made that statement against the Pats he has been in Tomlins doghouse.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
I'll take a 1st for Colon, less aggravtion and a starter on the oline this year.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-26-2009, 04:45 PM
I wud Take A 1st for Colon to!

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Wow!!!!!Cool I Not A Waterboy Anymore Cool Lol!

lilyoder6
02-26-2009, 04:49 PM
if some team would come in and take colon and give us a 1st.. i bet we could draft a rookie and start him at rt and he would be better than colon.. lol

ajs8207
02-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I dont get how tenders work. So we can trade Willie Colon for a 1st round pick??? :screwy:

If someone signs him to a contract, we have I think 7 days to match. If we choose not to match, we receive a first round pick.

steelreserve
02-26-2009, 05:39 PM
I dont get how tenders work. So we can trade Willie Colon for a 1st round pick??? :screwy:

Yeah, I wish.

More like if some team decides on their own that they want to sign him away from us, they can do that, but they have to give us a first-round pick. Also, we get a chance to match their offer if we want. I don't know of any team that would be that dumb. If they need a lineman that bad, why not just use their draft pick on one; there are going to be plenty.

steelerdave1969
02-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Ryan Mundy of course is an option, but I really look for the Steelers to draft a safety around the 3rd or 4th round.

StainlessStill
02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY will give us a first round draft pick for Willie Colon! I like Willie, but to say he is worth a first rounder.. someone would need their head to be examined and if anyone DOES offer us the bid, then they need to be put in jail for eternity for a strong level of stupidity. Lets get real, noone is going to offer us a #1 for Willie Colon. He's here to stay.

steelerdave1969
02-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I wish.

More like if some team decides on their own that they want to sign him away from us, they can do that, but they have to give us a first-round pick. Also, we get a chance to match their offer if we want. I don't know of any team that would be that dumb. If they need a lineman that bad, why not just use their draft pick on one; there are going to be plenty.

If someone out there is dumb enough to give us a #1 pick for him I will run through our neighborhood naked singing whatever song that everyone here wants to me to sing...
:rofl:

Galax Steeler
02-26-2009, 06:16 PM
If someone out there is dumb enough to give us a #1 pick for him I will run through our neighborhood naked singing whatever song that everyone here wants to me to sing...

Just let me know what neighbor hood you live in so I know where not to be.

StainlessStill
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Boy George: "Do you really want to hurt me"

..and if it does happen, do the people in your neighborhood a favor and do this via night time, so it'll be dark and the blackness of the night will hide unsecured features. :coffee:

NEPAsteeler
02-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Is there even any team out there that needs an O-lineman THAT badly that they would be willing to risk a first round pick for Colon?

HometownGal
02-26-2009, 06:53 PM
A first rounder for Colon? :rofl::toofunny::rofl::laughing::rofl::toofunny:

Face it folks - we're stuck with that big oaf.

devilsdancefloor
02-26-2009, 06:58 PM

but but but teams are interestedin him :rolleyes:

SaskSteeler
02-26-2009, 07:08 PM
heres hoping that al davis likes willie colon :thumbsup:

Vincent
02-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Anthony Smith is a world class bonehead.

http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/bc4e291da4_Anthony_smith.jpg http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/7ca2e608be_smith_12102007.jpg

That is all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2009, 07:23 PM

I said we would be. I am happy we kept Colon and will hopefully see his 4 year extension signed before September. When he signs the extension, I will change my avatar to Colon. :tt02:

Here is what Scouts Inc said about him in the super bowl and I think its pretty decent assessment.

OT Willie Colon -- Steelers
He is an experienced, versatile player who can play guard and tackle. His technique is raw and he can improve his awareness of picking up blitzers and stunts. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3849137

tony hipchest
02-26-2009, 07:58 PM
I said we would be. I am happy we kept Colon and will hopefully see his 4 year extension signed before September. When he signs the extension, I will change my avatar to Colon. :tt02:

Here is what Scouts Inc said about him in the super bowl and I think its pretty decent assessment.

OT Willie Colon -- Steelers
He is an experienced, versatile player who can play guard and tackle. His technique is raw and he can improve his awareness of picking up blitzers and stunts. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3849137is it just you and i on this entire boeard who thinks he can excel at guard?

MasterOfPuppets
02-26-2009, 08:08 PM
is it just you and i on this entire boeard who thinks he can excel at guard?
nope, i'd like to see him move inside. his time spent at tackle should actually improve his chances at guard as far as quickness goes. robert gallery was huge bust at tackle, but has become a solid guard.

Give It To Abercrombie
02-26-2009, 08:20 PM

I've been saying (in all 12 of my posts, hehe) that he should be kicked inside and he'd do just fine. Besides, wasn't he drafted as a guard and got slid out to tackle when he bumped Starks?

fansince'76
02-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Nope.

The sooner we get rid of Willie Colon the better.

He needs to be moved inside to guard.

LVSteelersfan
02-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Is there even any team out there that needs an O-lineman THAT badly that they would be willing to risk a first round pick for Colon?

Hey, he's on the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. If he was good enough to be on a championship team as a starter, he must be good. :rofl: :joker:

Anthony Smith will probably end up on the Patriots. They need all the help they can get back there. Wouldn't that be a riot?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2009, 10:19 PM

Honestly, Colon is a pretty decent RT. He just gets a bad rap from fans that see an average of 1 flag thown on him a game. Watch him in the Super Bowl or against Dallas.........Colon was a strong run blocker and good in pass pro.

You and I are 2 of probably a dozen on the board that think Colon would be a good guard. I am probably the only one (except the Steelers front office) that thinks he is a good offensive lineman that works hard and is getting better every season.

tony hipchest
02-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Honestly, Colon is a pretty decent RT. He just gets a bad rap from fans that see an average of 1 flag thown on him a game. Watch him in the Super Bowl or against Dallas.........Colon was a strong run blocker and good in pass pro.

You and I are 2 of probably a dozen on the board that think Colon would be a good guard. I am probably the only one (except the Steelers front office) that thinks he is a good offensive lineman that works hard and is getting better every season.atleast we arent on an island.

cowher camp loved him. tomlin camp loved him enough they booted starks out of a starting position and still gave the back-up 7 mil. to stay.

i agree with the bolded statement. i was a bit shocked simmons was shown the door. but its really looking like one of the final steps of totaly ridding ourselves of the russ grimm "hold" and influence of our linemen.

i dont know whats in store for marvel smith, but i definitely thought he would be gone sooner. of course im not gonna discount how injuries and paychecks were an obvious influence on these moves. (we can easilly pay an offensive line $17 million to suck as opposed to $23-24 mil)

BikeHelmets4All
02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Colon needs to stop the penalties -- when he does that, I'll be happy.

I think Marvel is as good as gone.

Rhee Rhee
02-26-2009, 10:35 PM
robert gallery was huge bust at tackle, but has become a solid guard.

i don't think he's anywhere near earning his paycheck yet though....

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2009, 12:18 AM
atleast we arent on an island.

cowher camp loved him. tomlin camp loved him enough they booted starks out of a starting position and still gave the back-up 7 mil. to stay.

i agree with the bolded statement. i was a bit shocked simmons was shown the door. but its really looking like one of the final steps of totaly ridding ourselves of the russ grimm "hold" and influence of our linemen.

i dont know whats in store for marvel smith, but i definitely thought he would be gone sooner. of course im not gonna discount how injuries and paychecks were an obvious influence on these moves. (we can easilly pay an offensive line $17 million to suck as opposed to $23-24 mil)

Tony I agree with you on the bolded statement big time. I said that in the preseason. When Colon and his 6'3" frame and short arms is confronted with a speed rusher......he works his a$$ off to compensate and fights like its life and death to keep that guy from getting the corner on him.

Conversely, when the 6'8" Max Starks and his long arms sees the same speed rusher across from him, he loafs, doesnt kick slide, but rather sets up his feet wide and lunges as the guy to use the long arms and ride him out, instead of moving his feet like an athlete would.

If you could put Willie Colon's hustle, effort, attitude and determination into Max Starks body......you have a Hall of Fame OT. I'd rather goto war with a guy with all effort and little talent, than a guy with all talent and little effort.............THAT IS WHY COLON BEAT OUT STARKS AT RT FOR 2 SEASONS !!!!

Blitzburgh_Fever
02-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't understand this talk of how Colon is by any means a good tackle. He works hard, fantastic, he's still not a good RT. He definitely has the body for a guard, and if he kept that determination he'd be damn good, but you have to look at things as they are.

This talk of "he isn't that bad" is being far too relative to our line (where above average = super star), and not to the average NFL tackle. Colon is simply servicable at the moment. He's still young and has lots of experience for his age, and blocking for someone who buys time like Ben does is hard, so there is upshot. If we sign him to a 3-4+ year deal, hopefully it's with the realization he still needs a lot of work.

How awesome would it be to draft Mack, move Hartwig to LG, and Colon to RG? We'd finally have an interior with some power. All we'd have to do is not play with a RT!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't understand this talk of how Colon is by any means a good tackle. He works hard, fantastic, he's still not a good RT. He definitely has the body for a guard, and if he kept that determination he'd be damn good, but you have to look at things as they are.

This talk of "he isn't that bad" is being far too relative to our line (where above average = super star), and not to the average NFL tackle. Colon is simply servicable at the moment. He's still young and has lots of experience for his age, and blocking for someone who buys time like Ben does is hard, so there is upshot. If we sign him to a 3-4+ year deal, hopefully it's with the realization he still needs a lot of work.

How awesome would it be to draft Mack, move Hartwig to LG, and Colon to RG? We'd finally have an interior with some power. All we'd have to do is not play with a RT!

You have said repeatedly that Colon is not a good RT. That he is simply serviceable. What about his game is it that you do not like?? This is the one thing I do not understand about the Colon haters. Specifically, why is he bad?