PDA

View Full Version : Ken-Doll Simmons Go Bye-Bye!

RJC
02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09057/951915-100.stm

Steelman16
02-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Does this mean we can sign Kemo?

No surprises with Humpal though.

BlastFurnace
02-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Does this mean we can sign Kemo?

No surprises with Humpal though.

I'm sure Simmons is a good guy, but as a fan...I won't miss him and his revolving door at RG.

Thanks for your contributions Kendall. Good luck.

steelreserve
02-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Ooh. Now this could be exciting. Doesn't he count something like $4-$5 million against the cap? I wonder if this was done to make room for bringing in a decent veteran on the line. Or maybe to make room for Harrison or Holmes' big jackpot. Which admittedly would be less exciting.

BlastFurnace
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
This is only 2 years after he signed a pretty big deal with us.

This is about the fastest bailout of a big contract the Steelers have made since the Jason Gildon contract.

This is why I don't blame players for going for what they can get...when they can get it. Go get'em BMAC and Nate.

Perhaps we will see another signing here in the next 8 hours...Kemo?

SaskSteeler
02-26-2009, 05:16 PM
maybe theyre gonna sign a guy like chris canty or jeff saturday?

mopit55
02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
i think kemo gone and colon sign a new contract but signing saturday don't be good he's 33 and has injury.i hope bmac stay.

BlastFurnace
02-26-2009, 05:19 PM

No way they sign Canty. He's going to cost too much. Not the Steeler way.

I hope that Kendall's exit means that Kemo is about to be signed.

We need to remember....we won the Super Bowl with the guys we had. Kemo was a first year starter. He's only going to get better.

KeiselPower99
02-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Its the official rebuliding of the offensive line. The 2 guard postions are now officially open for the taking. Maybe we are keeping Kemo and let Stapleton be the RG??? I hope not on the latter but we will wait and see. As for Humpal I wish the young man good luck and maybe we will see ya down the road in the USFL or UFL. And to Kendall its been a pleasure having you at RG and heres to you finding a new employment oppurtunity.

The Duke
02-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm actually shocked. Maybe his injury is worse than thought

sucks, I liked him

too bad about humpal too. I thought he might replace foote next year....

as for Canty he'll never come to Pittsburgh. he's asking for a lot!!

Galax Steeler
02-26-2009, 06:05 PM
This is no surprise I figured Simmons would be gone but I didn't see Humpal being realesed.

Preacher
02-26-2009, 06:08 PM
I say fix the line with the found money. . .

Then if we have to, cut Foote for the extra money to sign Harrison.

Steelman16
02-26-2009, 06:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/transactions?transactionMonth=&transactionYear=&transactionTeamAbbr=PIT&prevTransactionTeamAbbr=&prevTransactionMonth=0&prevTransactionYear=0

It's on nfl.com, so I guess that makes it official.

Da Steeler Soprano
02-26-2009, 06:16 PM
YES! this just paved the road for Jeff Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I think its a clear sign that they want to clear cap space to either sign Kemo or maybe even another free agent interior lineman like Brown, Goff, Evans or Birk.

Man, I hope they sign Jason Brown. He is a much better young prospect than Kemoateu. I really hope they are not committed to keeping the same O line together as last season, but just paying Starks, Kemo, Colon more money. That would be the definition of insanity:banging:

Preacher
02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I think its a clear sign that they want to clear cap space to either sign Kemo or maybe even another free agent interior lineman like Brown, Goff, Evans or Birk.

Man, I hope they sign Jason Brown. He is a much better young prospect than Kemoateu. I really hope they are not committed to keeping the same O line together as last season, but just paying Starks, Kemo, Colon more money. That would be the definition of insanity:banging:

Yep.. I think for us, Brown would be the future anchor which a person could build this OL around.

Funny, you and I agreeing on a center like this. :laughing:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Yep.. I think for us, Brown would be the future anchor which a person could build this OL around.

Funny, you and I agreeing on a center like this. :laughing: I can agree on a center as long as you stop pimping an old guy like Jeff Saturday that is a zone block suited guy.

The last think I would want to have, is a weaker guy that cant handle big NT's getting scapegoated again. :wink:

steelerdave1969
02-26-2009, 06:28 PM

I think that Jeff Saturday makes a lot of sense coming to the Steelers, and maybe that is what they are getting ready for. I just about fell out of my seat when I saw that the Steelers had released Simmons and it is still suprising me very much.

Phoenixus
02-26-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm actually shocked. Maybe his injury is worse than thought

I'd have to agree, there was a time when he was pretty decent, but that injury must have been more severe than anyone let on.

Preacher
02-26-2009, 06:32 PM
I can agree on a center as long as you stop pimping an old guy like Jeff Saturday that is a zone block suited guy.

The last think I would want to have, is a weaker guy that cant handle big NT's getting scapegoated again. :wink:

http://images.paraorkut.com/img/pics/glitters/s/slap-7372.gif

:rofl:

Edman
02-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Kendall isn't exactly a bust, but he wasn't very good. Dude was always thrown around by upper tier and even the above average D-Linemen.

The first step toward improvement on the Offensive Line.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
The Second Step Dnt Resign Kemo!

Preacher
02-26-2009, 06:55 PM
I think the bigger problem with Simmons was his diabetes.

He just never seemed to have it all together after that and then his knee problem the next year.

VTsteel
02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
WOW - I love this stuff . . .

Everybody seems to have wildly varying opinions on the offensive line. And yes they were offensive. I was hard on them the last two years. However, after winning the Superbowl I found it hard to criticize them. Now, it's back to reality . . . Our offensive line stunk for the vast majority of 2008.

My take:

I am glad we let Simmons go. Though I never thought he was that bad - He certainly is not good enough for that kind of money and my guess is that he declined a pay-cut.

Hartwig did well enough. Jeff Saturday would be a step-down. Don't sign him (even as a guard).

Kemo? Re-sign his ass. He will develop and mature. He's a keeper.

Colon? 50/50 with this guy. His dumb mistakes KILLED me last season. He has the potential though. I'd like to see him and Kemo at Guard.

Starks? It's a shame we didn't address the Offensive Tackle issue 2 years ago. Starks was not, is not and will not be worth the kind of money we'll be paying him. We'll pay him the kind of money we should be paying Harrison (though Harrisons contract isn't up until 2010). Am I glad we are keeping Starks? Yup. Just frustrates me that a 2nd tier tackle is getting top $ from us. Max should be our Right Tackle.

LT? Draft a 1st round Left Tackle.

Just my 2 cents.

Fire Haley
02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
He was a lumbering bear before the Achilles tear.

Buh-bye!

SaskSteeler
02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
what we need to do now is sign starks to a reasonable contract because right now he is overpaid and then hopefully we can pick up a guy like jason brown who would give us options in the draft. if there is a quality tackle available we can take him or we could take a corner cause we would be able to get a quality guard in the 2nd or 3rd

Preacher
02-26-2009, 08:01 PM
WOW - I love this stuff . . .

Everybody seems to have wildly varying opinions on the offensive line. And yes they were offensive. I was hard on them the last two years. However, after winning the Superbowl I found it hard to criticize them. Now, it's back to reality . . . Our offensive line stunk for the vast majority of 2008.

My take:

I am glad we let Simmons go. Though I never thought he was that bad - He certainly is not good enough for that kind of money and my guess is that he declined a pay-cut.

Hartwig did well enough. Jeff Saturday would be a step-down. Don't sign him (even as a guard).

Kemo? Re-sign his ass. He will develop and mature. He's a keeper.

Colon? 50/50 with this guy. His dumb mistakes KILLED me last season. He has the potential though. I'd like to see him and Kemo at Guard.

Starks? It's a shame we didn't address the Offensive Tackle issue 2 years ago. Starks was not, is not and will not be worth the kind of money we'll be paying him. We'll pay him the kind of money we should be paying Harrison (though Harrisons contract isn't up until 2010). Am I glad we are keeping Starks? Yup. Just frustrates me that a 2nd tier tackle is getting top $ from us. Max should be our Right Tackle.

LT? Draft a 1st round Left Tackle.

Just my 2 cents.

Really?

Of all the lineman, you think Starks is the weak link?

Hmm. First, we have to draft to fill the RG position, unless we can pick up a player to take it (which is what I am think about Hartwig if we can get Brown at Center.

I think as we sit now, the STRONGEST position is LT. Of course, that isn't saying much. But think about how little push we got up the middle this year. I am willing to give Hartwig another years chance, but not at center. See if he can explode out from Guard without having to hike the ball and then come back up.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Really?

Hmm. First, we have to draft to fill the RG position, unless we can pick up a player to take it (which is what I am think about Hartwig if we can get Brown at Center.

I think as we sit now, the STRONGEST position is LT. Of course, that isn't saying much. But think about how little push we got up the middle this year. I am willing to give Hartwig another years chance, but not at center. See if he can explode out from Guard without having to hike the ball and then come back up.

I think Stapleton is the weakest link.

Max Starks is 5 year veteran with "potential". Its pretty much what they said 5 years into Rick Mirer's career. Even Scouts Inc. says Starks is a young guy with potential, that is inconsistent and has limited lateral movement in pass protection".........hardly a guy that I would say is the STRONGEST position.

Starks is a guy they need to sign because they have nobody younger to replace him because they ignored drafting a LT or were not able to. Despite all the Colon haters, I bet if you put the 2 of them head to head in a blocking drill, that Colon pushes Starks around.

Preacher, you are still hating on Hartwig because you think Mahan was unfairly scapegoated. If you look at the line objectively and break down games on film, you will see that Hartwig did a very good job of handling guys like Jamaal Williams, Shaun Rogers, Ty Warren..............but Haloti Ngata gave everybody troubles.

ShutDown24
02-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Simmons was a good guard. We better be getting ready to sign Saturday now. I don't want Chris K over Simmons.

VTsteel
02-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Really?

No you misunderstood. I think Colon is the weakest link. Starks is an O.K. (second tier) Tackle. He is not a top 5 tackle no way no how. I think he could be serviceable at RT. I would like LT addressed in the 1st round.

KeiselPower99
02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
After thinking about it I remember someone saying his achilles injury was really severe and with his diabetes it was taking longer for it to heal. I believe it was Ed Bouchette.

Preacher
02-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I think Stapleton is the weakest link.

Max Starks is 5 year veteran with "potential". Its pretty much what they said 5 years into Rick Mirer's career. Even Scouts Inc. says Starks is a young guy with potential, that is inconsistent and has limited lateral movement in pass protection".........hardly a guy that I would say is the STRONGEST position.

Starks is a guy they need to sign because they have nobody younger to replace him because they ignored drafting a LT or were not able to. Despite all the Colon haters, I bet if you put the 2 of them head to head in a blocking drill, that Colon pushes Starks around.

Preacher, you are still hating on Hartwig because you think Mahan was unfairly scapegoated. If you look at the line objectively and break down games on film, you will see that Hartwig did a very good job of handling guys like Jamaal Williams, Shaun Rogers, Ty Warren..............but Haloti Ngata gave everybody troubles.

No, this really has nothing to do witih Mahan.

It has everything to do with the fact that I did not see my middle three lineman get any push at the goal line all year. I figure we have to start SOME place in making that change. Now, I DO think that Hartwig would be better than Stapleton, and maybe better than Kemo. So THAT is why I want to move out of center and bring in a very good center in Brown. Give Hartwig a year to prove himself at the guard position. In essence, by the time we line up over the football in 2010, I want a complete new set of interior lineman. . . unless Hartwig proves he has push at Guard.

Preacher
02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
No you misunderstood. I think Colon is the weakest link. Starks is an O.K. (second tier) Tackle. He is not a top 5 tackle no way no how. I think he could be serviceable at RT. I would like LT addressed in the 1st round.

Oh, I see. You wanna move Starks back.

I don't know, I think Starks is actually better at the left side then he was at the right side.

iceman000123
02-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Yes Colon is the weakest link. I do not take anything away from him but his lack of focus has dug us into some holes this seasons with false starts and what not. And we DO need a strong LT in the 1st round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
No, this really has nothing to do witih Mahan.

It has everything to do with the fact that I did not see my middle three lineman get any push at the goal line all year. I figure we have to start SOME place in making that change. Now, I DO think that Hartwig would be better than Stapleton, and maybe better than Kemo. So THAT is why I want to move out of center and bring in a very good center in Brown. Give Hartwig a year to prove himself at the guard position. In essence, by the time we line up over the football in 2010, I want a complete new set of interior lineman. . . unless Hartwig proves he has push at Guard.

Just the way you said you were willing to give Hartwig another chance to prove himself is what makes me think that you were still hating on him. Basic physics is that a 300 lb center isnt gonna get any push on 325 lb NT's. Hartwig actually played very well.........it was the inconsistency of Kemoateu and Stapleton that really hurt.

That was very evident in the regular season games vs the Colts and Chargers where undersized Colts DT's or Charger LB's were making plays in the hole on short yardage. From what I saw, Hartwig was solid, Kemo was either dominant or absent and Stapleton largely got stalemated.

mulldog24
02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I think we could possibly move colon to guard then sign a guard like kemo,Dockery from the Bills,or Moore from the Jets. then draft a right tackle.

BozMan
02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Seems like every off season there is a consensus to move Colon to Guard (and I am no one to disagree). I wonder why it has yet to happen?

BlastFurnace
02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
I know there are some Kendall supporters on this board. Where is the outrage?

I thought he was our worst O'lineman for the past 4 years.

BozMan
02-26-2009, 09:51 PM
How does the release of Simmons affect the Steelers from a salary cap perspective? Are we still hit with some of his salary/bonus??

LVSteelersfan
02-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Thank GOD Simmons is finally gone. We actually got a little better on the line (not great but better) after he went down. Colon is just not built for his position and he needs to get his head out and quit getting all of those false start penalties. I really do not like him. We need to draft to replace him, if not this year, for the year after that. Not sure Stapleton is the answer, but I think he did a better job than Simmons did.

vindrow
02-26-2009, 11:18 PM
How does the release of Simmons affect the Steelers from a salary cap perspective? Are we still hit with some of his salary/bonus??

Actually, Simmons costs money. He had a salary of $3.1M but since he is released, his bonus money accelerates into this season. He had money allocated over the 2010 and 2011 seasons for a total of $3.14M. He costs the Steelers $40,000 to release him.

Look for an injury settlement.

Oh and hello, eveyone:tt:

soggy
02-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Actually, Simmons costs money. He had a salary of $3.1M but since he is released, his bonus money accelerates into this season. He had money allocated over the 2010 and 2011 seasons for a total of $3.14M. He costs the Steelers $40,000 to release him.

Look for an injury settlement.

Oh and hello, eveyone:tt:

dont forget the 2009 portion as well as that needs to be figured in, which makes his cap number this year equaling $4.67 (3 years outstanding signing bonus). His base was scheduled to be $3.40 so in essence he cost $1.27 million to cut if you choose to look at it that way. But you still have $4.67 on the books this year regadless.

Rhee Rhee
02-26-2009, 11:37 PM
too bad about humpal too. I thought he might replace foote next year....

idk. i never saw him as anything more than a special teamer for us... especially with all the depth we have at ILB

vindrow
02-26-2009, 11:49 PM
dont forget the 2009 portion as well as that needs to be figured in, which makes his cap number this year equaling $4.67 (3 years outstanding signing bonus). His base was scheduled to be $3.40 so in essence he cost $1.27 million to cut if you choose to look at it that way. But you still have $4.67 on the books this year regadless.

Oh sure, get me for a lousy million:chuckle:

At least after this he will be off teh books, and teh Steelers wont have to carry him anymore.

I wonder if they might take a look at Stacey Andrews, even though he is coming off an injury he might be worth a look.

Preacher
02-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Just the way you said you were willing to give Hartwig another chance to prove himself is what makes me think that you were still hating on him. Basic physics is that a 300 lb center isnt gonna get any push on 325 lb NT's. Hartwig actually played very well.........it was the inconsistency of Kemoateu and Stapleton that really hurt.

That was very evident in the regular season games vs the Colts and Chargers where undersized Colts DT's or Charger LB's were making plays in the hole on short yardage. From what I saw, Hartwig was solid, Kemo was either dominant or absent and Stapleton largely got stalemated.

Ahh...

I was talking more about the interior three not getting the push. I was willing to give him another shot as a guard, because the mechanics are going to be different.

MasterOfPuppets
02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
i still think they should give foote the axe. sure it'd be nice to keep him, and it looks like they intend to do so, but at 3 million ? , thats kinda steep for a guy thats now a role player. foote is now just a luxery player, but is it wise to have luxerys, when you have huge needs elsewhere? :noidea:

Steel_Bus_24
02-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Clayton just said on ESPN that our FO has contacted Kemo:coffee:

They better not over pay again for a mediocre player

Preacher
02-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Clayton just said on ESPN that our FO has contacted Kemo:coffee:

They better not over pay again for a mediocre player

We need to keep him and develop him some more.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2009, 01:23 AM
We need to keep him and develop him some more.

I disagree. The guy is a 4 year pro and is hugely inconsistent. He should dominate his defender every play and yet it looks like he takes plays off and lets 265lb DT's from the Colts stuff him on 4th and goal. If he continues to block Gabe Watson in the Super Bowl on the QB draw..........Ben scores a TD.

If you are a 4th year pro and cannot stay focused and motivated enough to give a maximum effort on 4th and goal, or 3rd and goal in the SUPER BOWL...........move on and make room for somebody that can give that effort.

Steel_Bus_24
02-27-2009, 01:26 AM
I disagree. The guy is a 4 year pro and is hugely inconsistent. He should dominate his defender every play and yet it looks like he takes plays off and lets 265lb DT's from the Colts stuff him on 4th and goal. If he continues to block Gabe Watson in the Super Bowl on the QB draw..........Ben scores a TD.

If you are a 4th year pro and cannot stay focused and motivated enough to give a maximum effort on 4th and goal, or 3rd and goal in the SUPER BOWL...........move on and make room for somebody that can give that effort.

I agree...though Im not totatly against resigning him....but no big money for play that nearly obliterated our Franchise QB and produced one of the worst Steelers rushing attack in recent memory

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2009, 01:31 AM
Ahh...

I was talking more about the interior three not getting the push. I was willing to give him another shot as a guard, because the mechanics are going to be different.

Preacher, you are generalizing that because we couldnt convert on 3rd and short that there was no push from the "front 3". I on the other hand replayed those key short yardage plays and evaluated each lineman individually.

In almost all of those cases I could attribute our failure to one or more of these things:

1. There was no decent block by the FB on the LB making the tackle.
2. There was no push by Darnell Stapleton as he was stood up.
3. Kemo should dominate his man who he outweights by 35 lbs, but he never got under the defender.
4. Defenders penetrated thru gaps and got lower than the Steelers O lineman (that is a coaching/technique breakdown)

In most cases Hartwig did his job. There were a few where the DT shot between he and Kemo. I dont know the call and can only blame both. Hartwig was clearly the Steelers most consistent O lineman.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2009, 01:35 AM
I agree...though Im not totatly against resigning him....but no big money for play that nearly obliterated our Franchise QB and produced one of the worst Steelers rushing attack in recent memory

I am not totally against resigning him. But I think spending too much on Kemoateu is like spending $5000 to fix up my 1978 AMC Gremlin. Why not just spend that money on a 1999 F-150 instead. Same dollar value........much better option.

MasterOfPuppets
02-27-2009, 01:39 AM
I am not totally against resigning him. But I think spending too much on Kemoateu is like spending $5000 to fix up my 1978 AMC Gremlin. Why not just spend that money on a 1999 F-150 instead. Same dollar value........much better option. you have a gremlin ??? SWEEEET...:thumbsup:

Preacher
02-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Preacher, you are generalizing that because we couldnt convert on 3rd and short that there was no push from the "front 3". I on the other hand replayed those key short yardage plays and evaluated each lineman individually.

In almost all of those cases I could attribute our failure to one or more of these things:

1. There was no decent block by the FB on the LB making the tackle.
2. There was no push by Darnell Stapleton as he was stood up.
3. Kemo should dominate his man who he outweights by 35 lbs, but he never got under the defender.
4. Defenders penetrated thru gaps and got lower than the Steelers O lineman (that is a coaching/technique breakdown)

In most cases Hartwig did his job. There were a few where the DT shot between he and Kemo. I dont know the call and can only blame both. Hartwig was clearly the Steelers most consistent O lineman.

As opposed to the good centers of the league, he really doesn't measure up. That again, is why I want bring in a good center that can start for years to come. However, Hartwig, again, shows that he can play a bit, though I watched for push from him and seldom if ever saw any. However, he is the best bet we have at RG. So move him over, bring in Brown, put Kemo (who started for the first time last year) at LG. Now, from there, we can try to upgrade throught the draft.

tony hipchest
02-27-2009, 01:54 AM
As opposed to the good centers of the league, he really doesn't measure up. That again, is why I want bring in a good center that can start for years to come. However, Hartwig, again, shows that he can play a bit, .
this all might carry just a bit more weight if it werent coming from a die hard mahan supporter.

MasterOfPuppets
02-27-2009, 01:58 AM
this all might carry just a bit more weight if it werent coming from a die hard mahan supporter.
OHHHHHHH....SNAP !!! :laughing:

Preacher
02-27-2009, 02:08 AM

I could really care less about Mahan. I did care about people being ignorant and scapegoating one player instead of realizing the entire line sucked. Mahan is gone, and we STILL have as many sacks.
____

So are you telling me that Hartwig is one of GOOD centers in the league? Or is he just average?

pour your knowledge out, but don't break the teacup.

MasterOfPuppets
02-27-2009, 02:23 AM
pour your knowledge out, but don't break the teacup.

:applaudit: .......beautiful backhand preacher........is that in the st. james version ? :noidea:

Preacher
02-27-2009, 02:29 AM
:applaudit: .......beautiful backhand preacher........is that in the st. james version ? :noidea:

No, its in the "dealing with methodists 101" handbook! :chuckle:

(and yes, I picked methodist out of the blue. No intent on a specific denom. intended!)

OneForTheToe
02-27-2009, 02:51 AM
I am shocked about this really .... especially since we have to count so much of his pro rated signing bonus as accelerated cap. I have to believe that Simmons' injury is career threatening. He wasn't an all star, but he was a solid player, IMO. My hope is that the Steelers believe that Tony Hills can play RT.

I would be ok with:

LT - Starks (choice was already made)
LG- Kemo (for the right price)
C - Hartwig (I thought he was pretty solid)
RG - Colon (could be good here)
RT - Hills (maybe)

With some draft picks to develop for future years.

Not that big on free agents, unless we let Kemo go or have little faith in Hills. Remember that 30% rule is going to be a bear with any big time FA signing,

Steelers Since '75
02-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Saturday has resigned with the Colts so thank goodness that option is off the table... I believe that if the Steelers can get a couple of these guys in the draft we will be going in the right direction:

Mack/Robinson/Wood/Luigs/Vasquez/Urbik/Boone

SteelMember
02-27-2009, 08:23 AM

By releasing him, Simmons will count $4.71 million against their 2009 salary cap instead of the $4.67 million he would have counted had he remained on their roster. While they rid themselves of his $3.1 million salary, the annual $1.57 million amortization of his signing bonus through 2011 now comes due in full and counts against their 2009 cap.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09058/952047-66.stm

Fire Haley
02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Giving up on Simmons doesn't surprise me at all - he was a lumbering bear even before the Achilles tear.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I did care about people being ignorant and scapegoating one player instead of realizing the entire line sucked. Mahan is gone, and we STILL have as many sacks.

Preacher, while I have always agreed with you that Mahan took more than his share of the blame for the O-line problems in 2007, the truth is that he was just not a good fit for that position on this team. I find it kind of ironic that you refer to people as being "ignorant", when I honestly find you ignorant of the facts that :

1. Jeff Saturday is a weaker blocker at the point of attack than Justin Hartwig and would not have been good for the Steelers offense.
2. Max Starks gives inconsistent effort in the run block and has poor lateral footwork in pass protection.
3. Colon is probably the Steelers best run blocker and hardest working O lineman, but is just playing out of position.

I think you are a guy that explores great ideas and has valid opinions (much better than .....insert name here sucks), but you look at the O line as a whole or the interior 3 as a group and make judgements without looking at the individual performances of the players. That to me is ignoring the individual players strengths and weaknesses and by definition (regrettably)ignorant of those strengths and weakensses.

steelreserve
02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
By releasing him, Simmons will count $4.71 million against their 2009 salary cap instead of the $4.67 million he would have counted had he remained on their roster. While they rid themselves of his $3.1 million salary, the annual $1.57 million amortization of his signing bonus through 2011 now comes due in full and counts against their 2009 cap.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09058/952047-66.stm

Wow, in hindsight, this was pretty stupid. We didn't help our financial position at all; we just took the same cap hit and ended up with no player on the roster. What with 2010 being an uncapped year, it would've been a lot smarter to cut him after the end of next season when it wouldn't matter.

Sure, we'd be paying his salary in 2009 and he may or may not help us, but so what? We spend the same amount of money (i.e. right at the cap) every year, so it doesn't affect anything. At least we'd actually have someone on the roster who might be capable of playing. Unless his injury really turned out to be career-ending, this was a bad move.

Preacher
02-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Preacher, while I have always agreed with you that Mahan took more than his share of the blame for the O-line problems in 2007, the truth is that he was just not a good fit for that position on this team. I find it kind of ironic that you refer to people as being "ignorant", when I honestly find you ignorant of the facts that :

1. Jeff Saturday is a weaker blocker at the point of attack than Justin Hartwig and would not have been good for the Steelers offense.
2. Max Starks gives inconsistent effort in the run block and has poor lateral footwork in pass protection.
3. Colon is probably the Steelers best run blocker and hardest working O lineman, but is just playing out of position.

I think you are a guy that explores great ideas and has valid opinions (much better than .....insert name here sucks), but you look at the O line as a whole or the interior 3 as a group and make judgements without looking at the individual performances of the players. That to me is ignoring the individual players strengths and weaknesses and by definition (regrettably)ignorant of those strengths and weakensses.

:chuckle:

Actually, I wasn't refering to you when I posted that. I was refering to the what seemed like a general feeling on this board that if we replaced the center, most of our problems would be fixed. -f go back to the early spring of last year and look, I was actually excited about Hartwig. Not as much when I first watched him play however.

I do want him replaced because we need more push. However, We have 3 other positions on the line that should be addressed first.

That was behind my thought of bringing in Brown as center and moving Hartwig over to RG. I am hoping he will get more push coming straight off the ball.

revefsreleets
03-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Again, I have to wonder if this isn't yet another case of the Steelers knowing something about the nature and seriousness of his injury that others don't.

They generally don't make this kind of gaffe in FA.

tony hipchest
03-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Again, I have to wonder if this isn't yet another case of the Steelers knowing something about the nature and seriousness of his injury that others don't.

They generally don't make this kind of gaffe in FA.i think youre right. he's done. he may have 1 farewell year left in him like kreider, gildon, tuman, haggans etc. but he's had a long career and the ship has sailed.

i gotta question the conditioning of grimms guys and how much they were allowed to slide by in the past. with exception to faneca who was a freak and HOFer, they all seemed to have problems.

steelreserve
03-03-2009, 12:00 PM

They generally don't make this kind of gaffe in FA.

It's either that, or Tomlin and Colbert have been doing nothing bit sit around smoking weed all offseason so far. It would've actually saved us money against the cap to just carry him on IR all season and cut him after that. Course, that means they'd have to pay him a couple million extra TOTAL, but the cap hit would be smaller. Maybe they figure they really need that $2 million in cash for 2010? If so, I'm a lot more worried about the financial health of the team than I was before.