02-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Just got my NFL update text.

"Colts reach agreement with C Jeff Saturday on three-year deal"

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-26-2009, 08:08 PM
U Are Right!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2009, 08:08 PM
THANK YOU !!!! PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE !!!!!!

:banana:

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-26-2009, 08:09 PM
It Is True!

KeiselPower99
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Well damn.

HometownGal
02-26-2009, 09:56 PM
I knew that dream wouldn't come true. It would have been awesome to have Saturday centering the Steelers line. He would have been a HUGE improvement over our current C (sorry Gonz - I know you're big on Hartwig but I honestly didn't see him as much of an improvement over what's his name :wink: And no - my feelings about Hartwig aren't based on my feeling that Mahan was unfairly scapegoated :wink:).

LVSteelersfan
02-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Mahan was not unfairly scapegoated. He just flat out sucked. But that is pretty much the whole O-line for the last two years so I guess it isn't saying much. We need some more road graders out there to set up the run. I still think Kemo is salvageable as long as we get someone else to play beside him on both sides. Hartwig is not great, but he is not the worst we have ever had there.

StainlessStill
02-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Saturday would of been a helluva pick up. But, of course, the name is appealing. Reality is, is that he's 34 years old coming off of injury, and looking for a nice little pay day to go along with his new team if a deal could have been reached. The Rooney's are better than this, and laughed it off once he was interested and went about business to lock up their own players.

lilyoder6
02-26-2009, 11:06 PM
oh well... it was fun 2 talk about while it lasted

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I knew that dream wouldn't come true. It would have been awesome to have Saturday centering the Steelers line. He would have been a HUGE improvement over our current C (sorry Gonz - I know you're big on Hartwig but I honestly didn't see him as much of an improvement over what's his name :wink: And no - my feelings about Hartwig aren't based on my feeling that Mahan was unfairly scapegoated :wink:).

HTG, I am not really "big" on Hartwig. I fairly evaluated him and Mahan in each of the 4 preseason games and it was pretty obvious by the 3rd game that he was better suited to play center than Mahan.

I am a big fan of Alex Mack or Eric Wood to play center and replace Hartwig in 2010. I think Hartwig is a better than average center and adequate for the offense the Steelers run. I view Saturday very much in the same light as the #1 center taken in last years draft (Mike Pollack) and Max Unger in this years draft. All 3 are lighter guys that are quick technicians and will struggle with strong NT's like we face.

Hartwig is a good option as we transition to a younger guy to play center in the future. Jeff Saturday was a bad option, unless we hired Hudson Houk, Alex Gibbs as O line coaches to run a pure zone blocking system.

Jeff Saturday would struggle in our offense, just as much as Ben Roethlisberger would struggle in a pure West Coast offense.

Rhee Rhee
02-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I am a big fan of Alex Mack or Eric Wood to play center and replace Hartwig in 2010.

i would LOVE to see Alex Mack start out at guard... and then move to center... (jeff hartings)

BikeHelmets4All
02-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm fine that Saturday isn't here... I feel like he'd be a dead weight.

steelwall
02-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I don't think Hartwig should be our biggest o-line concern right now. His play is par level. We need to focus on the players on the o-line who are hitting double bogeys....for the golfers out there;)

Preacher
02-27-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't think Hartwig should be our biggest o-line concern right now. His play is par level. We need to focus on the players on the o-line who are hitting double bogeys....for the golfers out there;)

I think the idea was that if we could get a big upgrade at center, such as Brown or Mack in teh draft, that we can let Hartwig slide to guard and upgrade that position AS WELL.

Galax Steeler
02-27-2009, 04:27 AM
I think the idea was that if we could get a big upgrade at center, such as Brown or Mack in teh draft, that we can let Hartwig slide to guard and upgrade that position AS WELL.

Agreed, I think Brown would want to much I don't see him being a steeler so I am pulling for Mack right now.