PDA

View Full Version : Cap Numbers-Running Thread

Preacher
02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
So I figured as F.A. progresses, it might be a good idea to keep one central thread to keep track of cap numbers.

Supposedly, here is where we are at.

Here is an early look at the Steelers 2009 salary cap situation. These numbers are not exact, but to the best of my research are close. Listed is the 2009 base salary of players under contract and the estimated 2009 cap charge. The 2009 NFL salary cap is set to be 127 million dollars per team and my best estimation, the Steelers are right at about 100 million. This means they are roughly 27 million under the cap at this time. I will break down who will likely be a cap casualty in future post, but as of right now, I could see Larry Foote and Kendall Simmons as possible cap casualties. Please note these numbers are estimations.
Edited on 2/25/09 to reflect Max Starks franchise tag number which leaves the Steelers around $18,757,000.00 of cap room.

Now, he has Simmons as released, but has 4.7 Mill hitting the cap this year. I don't know if that is true or not.

Here is the link.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/02/early-2009-steelers-salary-cap-numbers/

So as we debate FA signings and the like... Lets keep a central source to reference the cap...

or not!

TruckedBy86
02-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't know what the actual cap number is but the same Web site you posted also posted this today after we offered Tenders to a few players. It says we are only under the cap by 7.4 million

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/02/steelers-down-to-74-million-in-salary-cap-room/

I hope this is wrong

Preacher
02-26-2009, 09:13 PM
See... This is why I want to have this thread!

Thanks

NJarhead
02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I was hearing "around $10 million" on the radio a few weeks ago. That's not too shabby these days.

soggy
02-26-2009, 09:38 PM
The Simmons cap number of $4,670,000.00 is the remaining signing bonus that is escalated because of the cut. He received a $7.85 million dollar signing bonus in 2007 which was stretched out over the length of the 5 year deal. Only 2 years of that had been paid and now the rest is due in the 2009 cap because he was released.

I also just found 2.4 million in dead money left over from center Sean Mahan signing bonus. and that puts the Steelers at or around $119,923,720.00 or $7,076,280 under the 127 million salary cap and I am sure there are a few more errors on my part, so realistically the Steelers are around only 5-6 million under the cap at this time.

lilyoder6
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
on nfl network, with the additional 4 mill this yr.. the steelers have an estimated 7.4 mill left...

hopefully we have more

Preacher
02-27-2009, 04:58 PM
The Steelers signed FB Sean McHugh to a three year, $2.57 million contract on Friday. The Steelers had tendered $1.01 million for one year on Thursday to McHugh, but he opted for a longer contract instead of the tender. The signing bonus was reportedly $390,000. McHugh took over the starting job fullback from Carey Davis late in the season and will be the starter in 2009.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/blog/2009/02/steelers-sign-mchugh-three-year-contract/

2.5 over 3 years... figure a slight backload.

figure 790,000 the first year. 829,000 second year, and say 900,000 the third (guesstimating, numbers probably don't match up).

That means this year, 790,000 + 130,000 for SB=

6.6 Mill under the cap still.

Preacher
02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Kemoeatu's contract is worth $20 million over five seasons and pays him a signing bonus of nearly $4 million, which is believed to be less than the Jets were offering.

http://www.sltrib.com/utahutes/ci_11801583

Ok.

Again, this is an average of 5 Mill a year, but it again is probably backloaded like all contracts. I would guess what, 3 mill the first year building to 7 the last year.

To keep the numbers simple, we will go with 3 Mill, 4 Mill 5 Mill 6 Mill 7 Mill. ( I know, it could never be as prosaic as that).

Signing bonus is averaged to 800,000 a year.

That means we look, if this is at all accurate, to be 3.8 Mill this year against the cap here.

So. . . 6.6 - 3.8 =

2.8 Mill left under the cap.

Steelman16
02-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Hmmm, kinda tight. Unless we cut Foote or someone else, I don't see us making any more signings in FA.

Preacher
02-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Hmmm, kinda tight. Unless we cut Foote or someone else, I don't see us making any more signings in FA.

I'm thinking we will see a contract with Starks which will give us probably another 3-5 mill under the cap.

Ward could restructure which would give us probably another 1-2 mil under the cap.

Steelman16
02-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I used to be under the impression that rookies didn't count toward their first cap year? Is this true?

Obviously we're picking pretty low, so it probably won't matter much, but I wasn't sure of how that worked.

Preacher
02-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I used to be under the impression that rookies didn't count toward their first cap year? Is this true?

Obviously we're picking pretty low, so it probably won't matter much, but I wasn't sure of how that worked.

Funny, I was wondering about the draft as well.

Picking 32 is nice because we will slot in pretty low.

steelreserve
02-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Ward could restructure which would give us probably another 1-2 mil under the cap.

Do you really think he'll do that? I seem to remember he went through a pretty acrimonious holdout to get that money in the first place, and if so, I doubt he'd just give it back.

tony hipchest
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
Do you really think he'll do that? I seem to remember he went through a pretty acrimonious holdout to get that money in the first place, and if so, I doubt he'd just give it back.im sure he wants an extension and would like to remain a steeler. he will not get 9 million per year next year on the open market.

as for cutting simmons, only this years portion of his signing bonus is counted. next year all the remaining is amortized. (same case as when we cut duce staley- and this season i think we still took a small hit for cutting okolbi)

Preacher
02-27-2009, 05:46 PM
im sure he wants an extension and would like to remain a steeler. he will not get 9 million per year next year on the open market.

as for cutting simmons, only this years portion of his signing bonus is counted. next year all the remaining is amortized. (same case as when we cut duce staley- and this season i think we still took a small hit for cutting okolbi)

Exactly. . . AND his holdout was more for GUARANTEED money if I remember right.

86WARD
02-27-2009, 06:14 PM
They need about $6 Million to sign draft picks.

They can extend Starks and need Ward to restructure and as a last resort, they can hit up the Bank of Roethlisberger for a loan if need be. I doubt we'll see much as far as signings go.

I'm not sure that Kendall Simmons number is right...

lilyoder6
02-27-2009, 06:18 PM
well ward has 1 yr left on his deal.. so they could re-do his contract and extend a few more yrs..

Preacher
02-27-2009, 06:25 PM
well ward has 1 yr left on his deal.. so they could re-do his contract and extend a few more yrs..

Dang I didn't think about Ward only having 1 year left.

Yeah, give him three years, extend the bonus out over that time.. he HAD to know that he would be dealing with the FO before this contract is up.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-27-2009, 06:33 PM
I See LIke This IS Ben Want 2 Be Protected Better Give Up Some Of His MOney And The FO Cud Sign More Olinemen For Him!

Preacher
02-28-2009, 10:34 PM
I read reports today that we are actually, somehow, about

6 Million

under the cap.

That leaves enough room to maneuver for a OL still hopefully, and sign our draft picks.

Steelman16
02-28-2009, 11:17 PM
I read reports today that we are actually, somehow, about

6 Million

under the cap.

That leaves enough room to maneuver for a OL still hopefully, and sign our draft picks.

I guess the FO isn't as stupid as we thought. :chuckle:

devilsdancefloor
02-28-2009, 11:43 PM
I See LIke This IS Ben Want 2 Be Protected Better Give Up Some Of His MOney And The FO Cud Sign More Olinemen For Him!

could you please put the leet keyboard away when posting you might have some of the greatest info in your posts, but it gives me a headache when i try to read it :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-28-2009, 11:44 PM
lol ok

Preacher
02-28-2009, 11:49 PM
could you please put the leet keyboard away when posting you might have some of the greatest info in your posts, but it gives me a headache when i try to read it :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I gotta concur...

and thanks for agreeing!
:thumbsup:

Preacher
02-28-2009, 11:52 PM
I guess the FO isn't as stupid as we thought. :chuckle:

Nope.... never thought they were...

Guess I am one of those "trust the FO" guys.

Oh darn!

:wink02:

Though I REALLY WANT them to go get Brown from teh Ravens.

But he and the Rams cut a deal.

drew102e
03-03-2009, 12:31 PM
i dont think it takes 6 million against the cap to sign draft picks does it? i was thinking 4 since we draft at the end of the round

Indo
03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Don't forget (how could we?!!) about Harrison

steelreserve
03-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Yeah, but not Harrison.

Or Holmes. Or Ward. Or Miller.

But at least we've got Starks!

Preacher
03-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, but not Harrison.

Or Holmes. Or Ward. Or Miller.

But at least we've got Starks!

Ward is what, 7 or 8 against the cap this year. Starks is 8 + against the cap this year. 4 Mill will drop off from Simmons dead money. Mahan dead money = 2.4 million.

So that is 6.4 mill in dead money and 16 mill in contract money that goes away next year,

for a total of 22.5 million in cap space opened up. Ward I beleive is in his last year of a contract, and will NOT get a big contract again. He will take the Bettis route. Starks will probably be signed long term, which gives a couple mill less than his cap hit now. that means we will probably be sitting about 15-17 under the cap, Foote also has a 4 mill cap hit this year. He may be a cap casualty next year, which is fine. that puts us back to 19 mill.

We'll get our guys back.

BTW... you STILL haven't answered how you expect to get better players at a cheaper rate than Kemo... since he is being paid UNDER what the AVERAGE Left guard was paid two years ago this coming year.

tony hipchest
03-03-2009, 01:52 PM
ward- 8.75 mil

we have 2 years to eat simmons dead money (this year and next- thats why we're still paying on mayhan).

steelreserve
03-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Ward is what, 7 or 8 against the cap this year. Starks is 8 + against the cap this year. 4 Mill will drop off from Simmons dead money. Mahan dead money = 2.4 million.

So that is 6.4 mill in dead money and 16 mill in contract money that goes away next year,

for a total of 22.5 million in cap space opened up.

Yeah -- in an uncapped year.

This is why I worry about what's happening this year. We don't sign some of these guys now, and some dumbass will just outbid us for them next year. If Al Davis offers Harrison $25 million a year and Snyder offers Holmes $15 million, do you really think we'll be able to keep them both? If we don't get it done now, we won't get it done.

BTW... you STILL haven't answered how you expect to get better players at a cheaper rate than Kemo... since he is being paid UNDER what the AVERAGE Left guard was paid two years ago this coming year.

Easy -- you don't need a better player. Just a cheaper one. It's debatable whether Kemo was even average or not. Again, with both him and Starks, the bar was low enough to begin with that we could've replaced them with basically anyone and I wouldn't be worried that we'd do any worse.

Obviously, the market was too expensive for us to upgrade the line much in free agency. So our other option is to just concentrate on not getting any worse, save the money for something else, and draft some guys who can help us improve down the road. We didn't need to waste that kind of money to maintain our performance, when our performance wasn't very good in the first place.