PDA

View Full Version : Browns Looking to Rebuild....

Justano
02-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Free agency was going to be a good litmus test for the new regime with the Cleveland Browns. It would indicate whether the team would try to start over under new head coach Eric Mangini or try to duplicate the success of 2007.

It turns out Cleveland is going in the direction of rebuilding as the team worked out a deal to trade tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for undisclosed draft picks. Winslow was arguably the team's most reliable offensive weapon the past three years, which included back-to-back 80-catch seasons in 2006 and 2007.

The Browns have been an enigma lately as they surprised the entire NFL by going 10-6 two years ago, then disappointed amid high expectations last season with a 4-12 finish. One of the first assignments for Mangini and first-year GM George Kokinis was to figure out whether the team is closer to its '07 finish or '08.

After spending the past month reviewing game tape, it appears the pair reached the conclusion that it's time to turnover the roster, starting with this blockbuster deal on the first day of free agency.

The Browns likely aren't done moving veterans. Quarterback Derek Anderson also could be on the move in the coming weeks.

Stay tuned.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-156/Mangini--Browns-looking-to-rebuild.html

jjpro11
02-27-2009, 01:45 PM
they rebuild every year.. what a shocker.

KeiselPower99
02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns have traded talented and troublesome tight end Kellen Winslow to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for undisclosed draft picks.

Winslow's five years in Cleveland were marked by injuries and controversy. He missed most of his first two seasons with injuries, but made the Pro Bowl in 2007 after making 82 catches for 1,106 yards. He demanded a new contract after the '07 season.

Last season, he was briefly suspended by the Browns after being hospitalized with a staph infection.

Winslow was the sixth overall pick in the NFL 2004 Draft. The son of Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow Sr., he had 219 receptions for 2,459 yards and 11 touchdowns in 44 games.

steelerbuckeye
02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
They are retarded. Who on earth trades their "star" tight end for undisclosed picks? I bet they got some good cap relief and probably a conditional pick for next year but still..

Justano
02-27-2009, 02:08 PM
lol try to rebuild you meen

lilyoder6
02-27-2009, 03:23 PM
if u are trying 2 rebuild.. then y do u trade away 1 of ur best offensive weapons who is still young

xfl2001fan
02-27-2009, 03:30 PM
1 - 11 Touchdowns in 44 games...that's an average of 4 per season.

2 - While he plays hurt, he's also a prima donna.

3 - He also might not fit in with the offensive scheme that Mangini wants to implement. Maybe Mangini wants a TE who can block in the run game (primarily) and catch passes (secondary).

Steeler in Carolina
02-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Why would they rebuild. They are going to go to the Super Bowl with Mangenius.:sofunny:

Edman
02-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Mangina is looking for an excuse to fall back on should the Browns fail again.

lilyoder6
02-27-2009, 07:38 PM
1 - 11 Touchdowns in 44 games...that's an average of 4 per season.

2 - While he plays hurt, he's also a prima donna.

3 - He also might not fit in with the offensive scheme that Mangini wants to implement. Maybe Mangini wants a TE who can block in the run game (primarily) and catch passes (secondary).

true true..

they do have rucker who could fill in.. he was in a passing offense at mizzu.. and depending on how many draft picks they get.. if they think rucker is not the answer.. there is a chase coffman in the draft

St33lersguy
02-27-2009, 08:03 PM
the only reason they went 10-6 in '07 was due to an inferior schedule. Wait?? The Clowns are still in the NFL?? They haven't been kicked out of the league for being a s*** team yet??

xfl2001fan
02-27-2009, 09:11 PM
true true..

they do have rucker who could fill in.. he was in a passing offense at mizzu.. and depending on how many draft picks they get.. if they think rucker is not the answer.. there is a chase coffman in the draft

It looks as if they're getting a 2nd rounder and (potentially) a 5th rounder next year for him. That will give us three first day pics...one of which (I suspect) will be a big WR to play opposite BE (if he doesn't get himself traded as well.)

Stlrs4Life
02-27-2009, 10:49 PM
This was a good deal for the Browns, wish they would of kept the loser.

lilyoder6
02-27-2009, 11:12 PM
It looks as if they're getting a 2nd rounder and (potentially) a 5th rounder next year for him. That will give us three first day pics...one of which (I suspect) will be a big WR to play opposite BE (if he doesn't get himself traded as well.)

they do draft high enough to get a real good player in the 1st rd.. i doubt they draft a wr at 12 or w/e they select.. i think rd 2 would be when they draft a wr

devilsdancefloor
02-27-2009, 11:46 PM
when are they NOT rebuilding?

KeiselPower99
02-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Maybe Mangini can convince Favre to come in and qb the Browns. That way he dont have to play Quinn.

xfl2001fan
02-28-2009, 11:46 AM
they do draft high enough to get a real good player in the 1st rd.. i doubt they draft a wr at 12 or w/e they select.. i think rd 2 would be when they draft a wr

If Curry is available at 5 (in the first round) we draft him. If not, then we likely draft Jenkins at CB...with the intent to have him play NB til he get's his feet wet...or possibly to play FS.

Then we have two 2nd round draft picks. If we don't get Curry, then we'll go LB/WR in this round. If we do get Curry, I see HB/WR in this round.

revefsreleets
02-28-2009, 03:29 PM
I think they are trying to stop going backwards. This kind of reverses the deal they made last year for Rucker. So they have a TE who is NOT a showboating idiot ho also poisons the locker roomand they pick back up a draft spot, which they DESPERATELY need.

I think Rucker isn't the receiver souljah is, but he's a better blocker (let's be honest...it'd be hard NOT to be better blocker). So this is a net gain for the Browns I'd say.

hindes204
02-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Who cares what the browns do, we will still own them every year.

lilyoder6
02-28-2009, 03:54 PM
If Curry is available at 5 (in the first round) we draft him. If not, then we likely draft Jenkins at CB...with the intent to have him play NB til he get's his feet wet...or possibly to play FS.

Then we have two 2nd round draft picks. If we don't get Curry, then we'll go LB/WR in this round. If we do get Curry, I see HB/WR in this round.

with cassell becoming a chief.. curry is a nice fit for them switching 2 a 3-4