PDA

View Full Version : McHugh signed to a long term deal....

CargoJon
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
3 years / $2+ million.

Bye bye Cary Davis.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

:tt:

SteelMember
02-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I thought the guy played pretty well as the H back.

Bye bye Cary Davis.
We can only hope.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah!!!!!!!! I LIke Sean Mchugh as our blocking fb!

rbryan
02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Dan Kreider reincarnated !!!

StainlessStill
02-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Dan Kreider reincarnated !!!

Lets sure hope so..:helmet:

OX1947
02-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Man, Steelers are really setting a new standard in "Keeping our own". Carey Davis isn't bad in certain spots. But McHugh in front of Mendenhall should improve our 3rd/4th and 1 issue a little.

Steelman16
02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Great move! If this means Davis is expendable, then all the better. Davis is the proverbial jack of trades but a master of none. McHugh is a much better block and pass catcher.

CargoJon
02-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Great move! If this means Davis is expendable, then all the better. Davis is the proverbial jack of trades but a master of none. McHugh is a much better block and pass catcher.

I just get tired of watching Caery Davis returns kicks. Who in their right mind has their fullback returning kicks?

steelerdave1969
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
I hope that McHugh proves me wrong in thinking that the Steelers need to draft a FB in this upcoming draft..

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2009, 07:16 PM
The only hope that Davis is gone will be if the UFA fullback from USC replaces him or if another rookie from the draft replaces him. McHugh is the #3 TE.

I still expect them to have a FB that can catch the football on the roster.

The Duke
02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Great!!

but to fix 3rd and shorts they gotta start with the oline

still, extending mchugh is a step forward. thanks lions

devilsdancefloor
02-27-2009, 08:44 PM
The only hope that Davis is gone will be if the UFA fullback from USC replaces him or if another rookie from the draft replaces him. McHugh is the #3 TE.

I still expect them to have a FB that can catch the football on the roster.

If my memory is correct he played FB in college?

Stlrs4Life
02-27-2009, 10:40 PM
I thought the guy played pretty well as the H back.

We can only hope.

+1, I'm saying my prayers!

Galax Steeler
02-28-2009, 07:07 AM
We can only hope that Davis is gone this year.I just don't feel comfortable with him in the backfield.

HometownGal
02-28-2009, 09:24 AM
We can only hope that Davis is gone this year.I just don't feel comfortable with him in the backfield.

I really don't think he played all that badly, Galax, for the limited time he was utilized. He is most likely gone after McHugh's signing, but we'll have to wait and see what develops. I am a huge believer in having a FB in the backfield and can only hope Arians runs more O schemes utilizing whichever FB makes the cut.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2009, 11:14 AM
If my memory is correct he played FB in college?

Your memory is excellent!!!! He didn play FB in college.

Ask yourself this question. Who would you rather have lead blocking in short yardage situations?? McHugh, Lorenzo Neal, Leonard Weaver, Terrelle Smith??

I will take any of the 3 besides McHugh. I like McHugh as the best lead blocker we have, but he really is too tall and stands too upright in lead blocking. A true FB/RB that is shorter like Tim Lester, FU, or Peyton Hilis has a better pad level and is able to get under defensive LB's to make the block.

I know we dont use a true blocking FB any more, but would like to see a guy that can block in short yardage situations and catch the football out of the backfield. Ryan Powdrell from USC, 5'11"- 254 lbs , that was signed in the offseason might be that guy!! :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I really don't think he played all that badly, Galax, for the limited time he was utilized. He is most likely gone after McHugh's signing, but we'll have to wait and see what develops. I am a huge believer in having a FB in the backfield and can only hope Arians runs more O schemes utilizing whichever FB makes the cut.

HTG, I disagree. Think back how many times this season we ran that fake handoff left and then Ben bootlegs right to throw the FB to Carey Davis coming out of the backfield in the right flat. I guess 10 times.

I only saw him make positive yardage on one of them and its because he is too slow to get to the right flat, doesnt sell the fake well and takes his time getting into pattern. Its a good play, but having a guy with limited talent run it makes it look terrible. Carey Davis makes BA look bad on that one. He cant block for anybody either because he weighs less than Mendenhall.

I never wish ill of anybody, but wished Carey Davis was not on the roster last year and hope they upgrade him this year. Its best for the team.

LukesDad88
02-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I just get tired of watching Caery Davis returns kicks. Who in their right mind has their fullback returning kicks?

I was going to say the Redskins, but then I noticed your qualifier of "In their right minds", and that eliminates them...

Vincent
02-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I watched the second rats game last night. McHugh tagged the murderer a few times. We're not missing anything with him at FB. 6'5" / 265 - we could do a LOT worse. Plus the fact that he can play FB, H-B, and TE. The kind of versatility we love. A brilliant signing.

steelpride12
02-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Im just hoping this upcoming season the Steelers run out of an I formation and use the running back to run behind the full back unlike they did last season. I feel the run game produced less due to that fact. Good sign, prove yourself Mchugh.

OneForTheToe
02-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I would like to see how the Steelers O would look with McHugh playing more often on first and second down (with a full preseason to work him in). Not only will he give us the lead blocking, but I imagine we could sneak him out of the backfield on favorable match-ups more often.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 01:29 AM
I would like to see how the Steelers O would look with McHugh playing more often on first and second down (with a full preseason to work him in). Not only will he give us the lead blocking, but I imagine we could sneak him out of the backfield on favorable match-ups more often.

I'd like to see McHugh on the line more instead of Spaeth and a FB lead blocking. Watched the SB again and some playoff games.........man is Spaeth a really bad blocker:banging:

Preacher
03-01-2009, 01:46 AM
I'd like to see McHugh on the line more instead of Spaeth and a FB lead blocking. Watched the SB again and some playoff games.........man is Spaeth a really bad blocker:banging:

I always thought Spaeth was brought in more to be the big 2nd tight end that catches the short to medium ball. Never really thought about him as a true blocker on the line.

Preacher
03-01-2009, 01:48 AM

I was actually pretty happy to see us go with 1 back for a while this year.

However, with our line, we just don't have the blocking to utilize any advantage we may get out of it. So yeah, I think we need to go in the I more often...

I would however, like to see split backs utilized quite a bit more.

OneForTheToe
03-01-2009, 02:51 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing us use a traditional FB either, El-Gonzo Jackson. However, using that traditional FB is not the preference of our O'coordinator. Moreover, it would seem unlikely that Tomlin or someone in the FO is going to force his hand the year following a Super Bowl win.

If we would just use a tradition FB with two TEs in short-yardage/goal line situations I would be happy. Unfortunately, even if we draft a stud FB he is unlikely to make the 53 man roster (or even if he does, be activated for game days). Along with three TEs, we have Parker, Menndy, Moore and probably Russell. Add to that, the possibilityof keeping the new Canadian League player for Special Teams, I don't see a roster spot for a traditional FB.

What I like about McHugh is that at least we get a hybrid FB - which is better than none at all.

Preacher
03-01-2009, 03:47 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us use a traditional FB either, El-Gonzo Jackson. However, using that traditional FB is not the preference of our O'coordinator. Moreover, it would seem unlikely that Tomlin or someone in the FO is going to force his hand the year following a Super Bowl win.

If we would just use a tradition FB with two TEs in short-yardage/goal line situations I would be happy. Unfortunately, even if we draft a stud FB he is unlikely to make the 53 man roster (or even if he does, be activated for game days). Along with three TEs, we have Parker, Menndy, Moore and probably Russell. Add to that, the possibilityof keeping the new Canadian League player for Special Teams, I don't see a roster spot for a traditional FB.

What I like about McHugh is that at least we get a hybrid FB - which is better than none at all.

Yep... and makes some sense.

It does seem that what is HIGHLY coveted on at least the offensive side of the ball is the ability to shift to multiple positions.