mesaSteeler
02-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Steelers laying it on this line again
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_613834.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 28, 2009

With the Steelers, you never know.

That's because we want the Steelers to be something they're not: spontaneous, impulsive, predictable.

That's never going to happen.

The Steelers are methodical, patient and unpredictable.

Until Friday, I had no idea what the Steelers were thinking about free agency, even though the answer was staring me in the face.

Offensive line, offensive line, offensive line.

All of the key moves made by the Steelers since winning Super Bowl XLIII have been fixated on maintaining and improving the offensive line with in-house candidates.

Maybe the most scrutinized offensive line in franchise history.

Count me among those not excited about keeping this offensive line intact for the 2009 season.

A little change never hurt. But the Steelers make their own rules.

In the Steelers' case, different is better.

So, different it is.

Yesterday's announcement regarding left guard Chris Kemoeatu wasn't a free-agent signing as much as it was a trade Kemoeatu for Kendall Simmons.

A day after releasing Simmons, who signed a four-year, $24 million extension prior to the 2007 season, the Steelers re-signed Kemoeatu to a five-year, $20 million deal.

Kemoeatu, who nearly replaced Simmons in the lineup a year ago, just turned 26.

Right guard Darnell Stapleton, who will earn $460,000 next season, is 23.

Right tackle Willie Colon, who signed a one-year, $2.198 million contract as a restricted free agent Wednesday, turns 26 in April.

Left tackle Max Starks, who will receive $8.451 million as the team's franchise player, turned 27 last month.

Center Justin Hartwig, who will earn $1.75 million next season in the final year of his contract, is 30.

Like it or not and some Steelers fans don't like it at all this is a young offensive line with plenty of room for improvement and thumbs-up approval from the front office and coaching staff.

Like it or not, the Steelers will defend their Super Bowl title with the same offensive line.

Ben Roethlisberger had no comment.

Try looking at this from the Steelers' perspective.

It's an offensive line that helped win Super Bowl XLIII, featuring three new starters (Hartwig, Stapleton and Kemoeatu) and two first-time starters (Kemoeatu and Stapleton).

If 2008 was the lowest point for an offensive line still getting to know each other, what's ahead for 2009?

The offensive line, surprisingly young and cost effective, should get better with another year of playing together.

That's the Steelers for you.

Patient, never impulsive.

Thirty-one other teams wouldn't mind having the Steelers' so-called problem.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

MasterOfPuppets
02-28-2009, 01:01 AM
If 2008 was the lowest point for an offensive line still getting to know each other, what's ahead for 2009? 50 sacks and another 20 + ranking in rushing....:doh:

msafford
02-28-2009, 01:13 AM
50 sacks and another 20 + ranking in rushing....:doh:

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/14576471/330295574.jpg

calm down....they know what they're doing better than we do.

Galax Steeler
02-28-2009, 06:56 AM
I can't help but to believe that we will see atleast one new face on the line this year either from the draft or free agency.

LukesDad88
02-28-2009, 07:29 AM
They are young, for the most part, and continuity is important. We'll see.

GBMelBlount
02-28-2009, 07:38 AM

50 sacks? You're dreaming!

With an extra year of chemistry and grossly overpaying them, I can't imagine Ben being sacked more than 47 times in 2009.

Galax Steeler
02-28-2009, 07:40 AM
50 sacks? You're dreaming!

With an extra year of chemistry and grossly overpaying them, I can't imagine Ben being sacked more than 47 times in 2009.

:toofunny:

GBMelBlount
02-28-2009, 07:45 AM

But seriously, I can live with the FO decision to at least keep what we have as long as they make a committed effort to upgrade our line through the draft this year.

Steeldude
02-28-2009, 07:48 AM
hopefully the O-line won't be worse than 2003.

St33lersguy
02-28-2009, 07:51 AM
For those of you who think that the OL had no chemistry and improved during the postseason lets consider this
Ravens: poor performance, allows Ben under a lot of heat and even allows T. Thugs who was questionable for whether he was going to play gets 2 sacks.
Cardinals XLIII: Although they did good on the game winning drive but beforehand they allowed so much heat and DT Darnell Dockett to record 3 sacks.
Yes I know the Steelers won both games I am just pointing out how the OL really had it's low point when they "pulled together" and "improved". My point is the Steelers need more talent

Rick5895
02-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Sometimes the hype with the poor line play is with the media. The line seemed to play better down the stretch, when we had some consistancy. Can Kemo be a guard like faneca, no, but he can be a good player and he is only 26. I saw some potential in Stapleton, Starks is a proven vet who has started on to SB teams, so he is decent although not worth the money paid him, lets hope a longer deal gets done there. Hartwig is a good center, the only question mark is Colon. This group of players might surprise you next season and add a lineman in the draft we could be very good. I am interested to see what Hills can do. e was a very good college player. We just won our 6th title going for a 7th next season, so this line can't be as bad as every one says.
IMO

HometownGal
02-28-2009, 08:46 AM
But seriously, I can live with the FO decision to at least keep what we have as long as they make a committed effort to upgrade our line through the draft this year.

That's where I'm at. I'm going to do what I've done for years and trust the Steelers FO that they know better than I what their needs are for the present and future.

Give It To Abercrombie
02-28-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm not going to posture to the point where I think I know more than the front office, or more than certain people on this site for that matter. However, I don't care if we pick up anyone in free agency. My hopes (realistically) hinge on two things:

1. Hills is ready and healthy, takes over at RT, Colon slides to RG and Stapleton becomes a young, cheap back-up with great experience now.

2. We add re-sign Essex (depth), add a tackle and someone who can play both guard and center in the draft (perhaps Mack or Wood).

Not dream scenario type stuff, but I think realistic and would be a step in the right direction, cost effective and would allow draft picks to be made in other areas as well for improvement or depth.

I am beginning to think more and more draft pick number one maybe not be an offensive lineman.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-28-2009, 09:03 AM
I do believe chemstry ccurred to some point. But you can not discount the fact that the OLine was 100% called out on the carpet by the naitonal media at the superbowl. They were pounded directly, indriectly in every QnA session.

Hopefully this continues to occur,and Ben demands protection and doesn't take the blame anymore. Put the fault on those who don't perform.

KeiselPower99
02-28-2009, 10:21 AM
When the season started here was our line.
Smith-Kemo-Hartwig-Simmons-Colon

At the Super Bowl here it is
Starks-Kemo-Hartwig-Stapleton-Colon

Wanna go back farther look at 07
Smith-Faneca-Mahan-Simmons-Colon

Having the same 5 guys play together will only improve the line. I think a name to look at and follow as a potential starter at C or RG is Doug Legurksy. Lets face it thats the Steeler way. Groom guys to become starters. We did just win a Super Bowl with a "crappy" line.

LukesDad88
02-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Fact is, there isn't a whole lot of quality O-Line help in free agency out there this year. Moore may have been an upgrade. I think he has a little more talent than Kemo, but there is something to be said for familiarity and continuity.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2009, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I hope to see 2 guys drafted in the top 3 rounds........but I hoped that last year. :doh:

Said it before. Anthony Collins, Carl Nicks.

mesaSteeler
02-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I hope to see 2 guys drafted in the top 3 rounds........but I hoped that last year. :doh:

Said it before. Anthony Collins, Carl Nicks.

What we draft will depend on what is available. We do not want to reach for a pick.

GBMelBlount
02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
What we draft will depend on what is available. We do not want to reach for a pick.

I understand your point Mesa, but it is not always best to overlook need solely for best available.

If the best value the first 3 picks is running back, wide receiver and Line backer, it may not necessarily make the most sense to pick them. Even if we have to "reach" a little for a lineman, it still worthy of STRONG consideration imo.

We also have the option to move up or down if it makes sense. Our need at line is great enough I think that is worthy of consideration as well. Just sayin.

Steel_Bus_24
02-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Ya know I can almost live with the way those guys pass block.

Ben isn't the easiest QB to protect....................however their god awful run blocking is inexcusable and it'll drive me insane if we stink it up again in 09:banging:

How many times were we beaten back like pansies last year in short yardage situations???:mad:

They were manhandled by the Titans who were without Van den Bosch and Haynesworth and We struggled against the Bengals 3rd and 4th string D-line

Maybe it won't happen in 09 or 10 but Ben is slowly being beaten to death back there

We need to be able to pound the rock and take the pressure off of Ben.....or he'll wind up in the hospital for the rest of his life

SC Steeler Steve
02-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I will take that SB championship

JUST WIN BABY!!! I dont care how we do it.

What we did last year beats the hell out of anything we did in 27 out of the last 29 seasons...

The line will be improved this coming season. These people know what they are doing, thats why we are carrying a six pack around with us and no body else is.

GBMelBlount
02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I will take that SB championship

JUST WIN BABY!!! I dont care how we do it.

What we did last year beats the hell out of anything we did in 27 out of the last 29 seasons...

The line will be improved this coming season. These people know what they are doing, thats why we are carrying a six pack around with us and no body else is.

....sounds like someone just drank a six pack. :chuckle:

(j/k SC )

Steely McSmash
02-28-2009, 01:25 PM
.....Lets face it thats the Steeler way. Groom guys to become starters. We did just win a Super Bowl with a "crappy" line.

If the line was not "crappy" this superbowl would not have been close. As it was, absolute heroics were needed to pull out the win.

This grooming policy is limited by the starting talent in my opinion. Lately the FO is trying to get by with UDFA players. The Steelers have had some gem UDFA picks but you can't expect to get that kind of result reliably for all positons.

We've got Capizzi, Legursky, Parquet and Stapleton that were UDFA acquisitons.

I think these guys are going to develop to average players for the most part in about 3 years. In the last few years we've drafted Colon, Essex and Hills only. 3rd-4th round all.

The FO knew full well what the UFA situation would be this year when they were picking talent to develop last year, and they took a pass on the better talent thinking that they could roll the dice with the UDFA picks. I'd love to see 1 or 2 top shelf talents added to the line this coming year. Of course this has been my wish for the past 2 years.

I think the Steelers typically carry 8 or 9 guys on the 53 man roster. With the current starters that leaves Capizzi, Hills, Legursky, and Parquet + draft picks to fill those 3 or 4 Backup spots. Since we have no idea how well those guys are doing it's hard to saw how the staff is evaluating the needs for the draft.

mesaSteeler
02-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I understand your point Mesa, but it is not always best to overlook need solely for best available.

If the best value the first 3 picks is running back, wide receiver and Line backer, it may not necessarily make the most sense to pick them. Even if we have to "reach" a little for a lineman, it still worthy of STRONG consideration imo.

We also have the option to move up or down if it makes sense. Our need at line is great enough I think that is worthy of consideration as well. Just sayin.

I hear what you are saying but if there is a first round worthy CB and no first round worthy O - Linemen do you go with the CB which we also need or trade down? Of course that will depend if we can find someone to trade with that will make a reasonable trade.

Other teams know our need on the O-Line and hold us up for ransom if they can. Still to keep Ben healthy and to be able to punch in it in from the three yard line we have to upgrade our line somehow. Colbert will be earning his pay this off season.

GBMelBlount
02-28-2009, 02:10 PM
I hear what you are saying but if there is a first round worthy CB and no first round worthy O - Linemen do you go with the CB which we also need or trade down? Of course that will depend if we can find someone to trade with that will make a reasonable trade.

Other teams know our need on the O-Line and hold us up for ransom if they can. Still to keep Ben healthy and to be able to punch in it in from the three yard line we have to upgrade our line somehow. Colbert will be earning his pay this off season.

Good question. If there were no linemen left even close to 1st round worthy, I could understand possibly pulling the trigger on a top shelf CB in the first round I guess. I'm sure most would agree we REALLY need to upgrade our line and it's such a crap shoot after the 2nd and 3rd round.

georgedejungle
02-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Bottom-line is that a Steeler fan should not ignore the numbers (stats) and this OLine has been so maligned it's not funny anymore.

One-hundred fifty sacks, a couple of Big Ben concussions with assorted injuries and three seasons later, the Steelers are poised for yet another draft.

For the past two NFL Drafts, the Steelers have not been too serious concerning the OLine needs.

What was gained by impact players from last year's draft 2008? Well, Mendenhall will eventually get a chance to make an impact and WR Limas Sweed will need to step it up and make some key catches if he is to be successful in Nate Washington's shoes. The remainder of last year's draftees are either gone or about to be.

georgedejungle
02-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Where's the beef?

GBMelBlount
02-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Where's the beef?

Beef? We need a tree, George.

devilsdancefloor
02-28-2009, 03:20 PM
well as bad as they where we won the super bowl. I really think colon slides over to RG and hills takes up RT this coming year. We will draft a few Oline and stick them in the weight room for a season (that seems to be the steeler way). As much as it pains me to say this, but i think starks really had a decent year. He is only gonna get better. And if he doesnt hopefuly they have a yong stud fromthe draft to step up. I have to trust the FO they seem to know what they are doing!:tt03::tt03:

Edman
02-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Here's to getting stuffed at the Goal Line in 2009.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2009, 04:24 PM

Exactly my point. Last year, Anthony Collins, OT from Kansas was drafted in the 4th round by Cincinatti (we took Bruce Davis in the 3rd) and Carl Nicks was taken in the 5th by the Saints(we took Tony Hills in the 4th).

-Anthony Collins started at LT for the Bengals and kept James Harrison without a sack in that game.

-Carl Nicks started at RG for the Saints, played well and has the nickname IHOP for the amount of pancake blocks he delivers.

We could have drafted Anthony Collins, LT in the 3rd round(instead of Bruce Davis) and Carl Nicks OG in the 4th round (instead of Tony Hills) and had 2 successful starting calibre linemen..........without reaching.

Steelman16
02-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Don't remind me! :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
02-28-2009, 11:46 PM
If Kemo was so horrible then why did the Jets want him over the guy that they released then resigned? Obviously Rex Ryan saw something he liked when we beat his old Ravens team 3 times.

LukesDad88
02-28-2009, 11:53 PM
What about Khalif Barnes for RT instead of Colon? He's been a starter at LT for Jaguars for a few years now. Young guy, no injury problems that I know of.

kingkulsteel
03-01-2009, 12:17 AM
We won the superbowl with that line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 01:20 AM
If Kemo was so horrible then why did the Jets want him over the guy that they released then resigned? Obviously Rex Ryan saw something he liked when we beat his old Ravens team 3 times.

Kemo was one of the better rated guards in free agency, because the rest of the market consists of guys that are too old and the other good players are under contract with other teams.

Also, the Jets last year overpaid for the services of Faneca ($8mil), Calvin Pace ($7mil), Brett Favre ($12mil), Vernon Gholston ($8mil)........ $4mil for an inconsistent, average guard that has 1 year experience is a drop in the bucket for the JETS.

I would have rather gone with Colon, Stapleton, Parquet and a draft pick like Kraig Urbik from Wisconsin at guard.

KeiselPower99
03-01-2009, 01:34 AM
I know alot of you guys are saying draft a guy to replace. Well its not that easy remember.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 01:45 AM
I know alot of you guys are saying draft a guy to replace. Well its not that easy remember.

It is actually very easy. It should have been done starting 2 or 3 years ago. On draft day I suggested a scenario that would really have worked out well. Others have said instead of Mendenhall and Sweed, take Merling and Zuttah, then we would not need as many young linemen.

To stay with the same mediocre linemen that the entire fan base, national and local media verbally abuse for poor play is the EASY thing to do. Two years ago the Ravens went with young guys like Jared Gathier and Ben Grubbs.......worked out pretty well.

I would have rather seen a core of Colon, Hartwig, Stapleton, Hills, Essex, Tra Thomas, Parquet, William Beatty and Louis Vasquez make up the O line. Trade up to get Beatty around #20 and then get Vasquez in the 3rd round. There will even be veterans released in August to fill another roster spot, just like Willie Anderson was last year.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 02:11 AM
for a second rd pick they coulda had........

Harvey Dahl (RFA), Falcons. Age: 28.
Tendered by Falcons (2nd round)

A monstrous run-blocker. Michael Turner should buy Harvey Dahl and Tyson Clabo new homes for the lanes they opened up this season.

# Tyson Clabo (RFA), Falcons. Age: 27.
Tendered by Falcons (2nd round)

Tyson Clabo really stepped up and emerged as a solid right tackle for the Falcons this year.

for TWO 2ND RD , they coulda had dahl and clabo ......what are the chances of getting 2 solid starters, T & G ,who can start right away? ... willie parker would still be jerkin off over that move.

mesaSteeler
03-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Well I know in hindsight we could have this or that player and didn't draft them.

Hopefully Tomlin will have his say and we will get a good third or fourth pick. We need to draft like we did in 1974.

Still I don't want to reach since the last time we really reached we ended up Troy Edwards who was not worth a number 1 pick.

Steely McSmash
03-01-2009, 09:37 AM

And your point is what? That the line is awesome? We could say that everything is awesome since we won the superbowl. Should we shut down the forums until someone else wins the superbowl? Apparently there's nothing to discuss.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Well I know in hindsight we could have this or that player and didn't draft them.

Hopefully Tomlin will have his say and we will get a good third or fourth pick. We need to draft like we did in 1974.

Still I don't want to reach since the last time we really reached we ended up Troy Edwards who was not worth a number 1 pick.

You are right. Hindsight is easy to use and we all make mistakes. I thought Javon Kearse would be a bust and Robert Gallery a cant miss.

But, with that being said, for years now I have been advocating drafting O linemen, because it was no secret that our guys contracts were coming up and they were getting older. I used the names Ben Grubbs, Nick Mangold, Ryan Kalil, Sampson Setele, Justin Blaylock, Tony Ugoh, Joe Staley, Jeremy Zuttah, Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins, Oneil Cousins, Corey Lichtenstiger.

None of those players was ever drafted before we had a pick. Any one or more of them could be Pittsburgh Steelers this very moment................all we had to do was pick 2, but we ignored the O line in the draft. It was foresight for some (Master of Puppets and Steeldude are 2 I can think of), not hindsight.

Steelers & I
03-02-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm sure that the Steelers will draft at least 2 offensive linemen this year. The line is what it is, it's the best that we can do for now so we'll have to live with them.

If the Steelers start spending millions to upgrade their offensive line, then expect to see other areas of the Steelers roster begin to DOWNGRADE! I don't believe that I want to see that type of exchange. With the salary cap, no team can have it all. Every team has a weakness, the Steelers just happen to be weak in the area of offensive linemen. That's fine with me, just keep that defense intact. Lets see what happens in the draft, I think that everything will turn out just fine.

paw-n-maul-u
03-02-2009, 02:21 AM
You are right. Hindsight is easy to use and we all make mistakes. I thought Javon Kearse would be a bust and Robert Gallery a cant miss.

But, with that being said, for years now I have been advocating drafting O linemen, because it was no secret that our guys contracts were coming up and they were getting older. I used the names Ben Grubbs, Nick Mangold, Ryan Kalil, Sampson Setele, Justin Blaylock, Tony Ugoh, Joe Staley, Jeremy Zuttah, Carl Nicks, Anthony Collins, Oneil Cousins, Corey Lichtenstiger.

None of those players was ever drafted before we had a pick. Any one or more of them could be Pittsburgh Steelers this very moment................all we had to do was pick 2, but we ignored the O line in the draft. It was foresight for some (Master of Puppets and Steeldude are 2 I can think of), not hindsight.

I agree with mesa. Sure we need to draft some linemen ... but the ones we have now are young, capable, and have proven they are able to take this team to the Superbowl ... for some of them, twice (starks).

Am I in love with the idea? no. But I think Tomlin wants to try and find some continuity ... itll be their third season under Z ... and for the first time (baring injuries or a player taking over another ... we will have the same line two years in a row. .... they got better as the season went on, and only have room to improve.

Players like Tony H. will be a factor ... maybe legursky ... bring in someone to compete with colon and/or Stapleton ... draft an interion lineman and a tackle, groom them and hope that competition will eventually bring out the best, but for now, this is what we have to live with and its pointless to complain about what could have been when we should just be drooling over the draft right now.

Just another thing, I feel like maybe the board shuold turn more into a draft board after all this FA shennanigans gets taken over. Not many people go into the warroom it seems like, or atleast it takes doubly as long to hear responses, but most draft articles posted in the main forum get bumped over there. I just feel it would bring a lot of good discussion to allow more draft articles in the main forum.

OneForTheToe
03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
It would be really great if Legursky or Cappizzi could pull a Harrison. Not saying that is likely, but it would really great. Really it really would.:thumbsup:

steelreserve
03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/14576471/330295574.jpg

calm down....they know what they're doing better than we do.

Ahh, the old go-to argument when the team makes an unpopular move.

No, the coaches and front office are not immune from criticism just because they're closer to the situation and therefore "in the know." Pro teams make moves that backfire all the time, even though they ostensibly know more about football than the average fan. Just like there are players who aren't good in the NFL even though they're better athletes than the average fan. Saying basically, "oh, come on, what do you know, you're just a fan" doesn't really do anything except make noise and frustrate people.

steelreserve
03-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Not because of it. In spite of it. We weren't perfect this year, and that and RB were our weaknesses.

Also, unrelated, but in the original article, it said we basically "traded Simmons for Kemoeatu," which I have to point out is bullshit. We let Simmons go, yet took a cap hit for MORE than what he was scheduled to count. Whoops. We basically traded Simmons for nothing and gave Kemo a huge raise, was what we did.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Not because of it. In spite of it. We weren't perfect this year, and that and RB were our weaknesses.

Also, unrelated, but in the original article, it said we basically "traded Simmons for Kemoeatu," which I have to point out is bullshit. We let Simmons go, yet took a cap hit for MORE than what he was scheduled to count. Whoops. We basically traded Simmons for nothing and gave Kemo a huge raise, was what we did.

:applaudit:

Very true. The only thing that you forgot to mention that our offensive philosophy is now "you can gain 4 yards just as easy passing the football as running the football". That is what this line will be asked to do again.

ben2hines=6
03-02-2009, 01:19 PM
This is garbage, bens career is getting shorter and shorter with this crap o line...we invested 100,000,000 in this guy and hes getting killed every game. Oline should have been a huge priority this offseason

KeiselPower99
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
It is actually very easy. It should have been done starting 2 or 3 years ago. On draft day I suggested a scenario that would really have worked out well. Others have said instead of Mendenhall and Sweed, take Merling and Zuttah, then we would not need as many young linemen.

To stay with the same mediocre linemen that the entire fan base, national and local media verbally abuse for poor play is the EASY thing to do. Two years ago the Ravens went with young guys like Jared Gathier and Ben Grubbs.......worked out pretty well.

I would have rather seen a core of Colon, Hartwig, Stapleton, Hills, Essex, Tra Thomas, Parquet, William Beatty and Louis Vasquez make up the O line. Trade up to get Beatty around #20 and then get Vasquez in the 3rd round. There will even be veterans released in August to fill another roster spot, just like Willie Anderson was last year.

Every mock and draft expert had the Steelers taking an O linemen with the top 2 picks last year. What happened?? Sitting at 23 there was a run on them. Cherilus,Otah,Brown and Baker all guys that were projected laste 1st early 2nd was drafted before we got on the board. The 07 draft is where they hd the oppurtunity to get good linemen. Had we not gone for Spaeth we could have had at least 1 guy.

scsteeler
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
I am hoping that we will see a more improved line and we can complain about something else. We had special teams issues and now that has improved. I am banking on seeing improvement in this upcoming years line and don't quote me on this but at least 1 or 2 picks for O-lineman in the draft.

WitchKing701
03-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I really didn't expect them to turn over the entire line. Frankly, that would lead to a worse situation in 2009-2010. I agree with the original poster that there's tremendous upside here, with Stapleton and Kemoeatu getting significant playing time. It's possible this line becomes a force together, but I still see that FO getting at least one top tier draft pick to help push this line competitively.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 03:25 PM
I really didn't expect them to turn over the entire line. Frankly, that would lead to a worse situation in 2009-2010. I agree with the original poster that there's tremendous upside here, with Stapleton and Kemoeatu getting significant playing time. It's possible this line becomes a force together, but I still see that FO getting at least one top tier draft pick to help push this line competitively.

If the Steelers spend the 1st round pick on a guard/Center..........I bet Stapleton will be backing up. Heck, if we spend it on a tackle I can see Colon moving inside to RG.

MasterOfPuppets
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
If the Steelers spend the 1st round pick on a guard/Center..........I bet Stapleton will be backing up. Heck, if we spend it on a tackle I can see Colon moving inside to RG. and this is what i wanna see happen. takes care of 2 positions with one pick. plus it gives em a look to see if colons worth giving a long term deal. if he's no better at guard then tackle....then adios willie....:wave:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 04:39 PM
and this is what i wanna see happen. takes care of 2 positions with one pick. plus it gives em a look to see if colons worth giving a long term deal. if he's no better at guard then tackle....then adios willie....:wave:

Did you see Kirwin's latest mock?? He has William Beatty not being taken in the 1st. I would love to see Beatty taken at #32 and either he or Hills can play RT, so Colon can move inside. :thumbsup:

We could go Canfield, Vasquez, Caldwell or Feinga in the 3rd and have a nice draft of OT, OG, D-line in the first 3 rounds.

FredScott
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
I have faith in my guys and for the most part they are still young so lets giev them a chance. I say we give up no more then 35 sacks this year and with mendenhall back and a truly healthy parker we will be back in the top 10 in rushing for sure. WIshful thinking?, Maybe...but like I said I have faith in these guys but we will find out soon enough.

Preacher
03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Funniest thing talking about the draft. . .

NONE of us have a CLUE what is going to happen.

We thought "Why in the WORLD draft Timmons" Well, he is poised to have a monster season.

We thought, "Why draft ANOTHER LB in Woodley now?" He DID have a monster season.

We thought, "Why draft a punter?" Well, how many of us now are BEGGING for him to be fully healthy next year.

Last year, Who would have EVER thought we would draft Mendy? Or Limas?

Fact is, this FO and coaching staff does what they think is right, and what they think is right DEFINITELY does not follow conventional wisdom.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I am hoping we draft Alex Mack to take over at C next year anf Phil Loadholt falls to us in the second round to challenge Colon for the RT spot and at least take over next season.

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I like beer.

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/08/26/PH2008082600890.jpg

Sharkissle29
03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Funniest thing talking about the draft. . .

NONE of us have a CLUE what is going to happen.

We thought "Why in the WORLD draft Timmons" Well, he is poised to have a monster season.

We thought, "Why draft ANOTHER LB in Woodley now?" He DID have a monster season.

We thought, "Why draft a punter?" Well, how many of us now are BEGGING for him to be fully healthy next year.

Last year, Who would have EVER thought we would draft Mendy? Or Limas?

Fact is, this FO and coaching staff does what they think is right, and what they think is right DEFINITELY does not follow conventional wisdom.

couldnt have said it any better. for all we know we could draft a WR or CB in the first round. you never know with the pittsburgh steelers which makes draft day that much more exciting.

KeiselPower99
03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
It would be really great if Legursky or Cappizzi could pull a Harrison. Not saying that is likely, but it would really great. Really it really would.:thumbsup:

This is year 3 for Capizzi and I wouldnt be suprised to see him push Colon. As for Legursky, I believe he is the next center after Hartwig.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 09:22 PM
couldnt have said it any better. for all we know we could draft a WR or CB in the first round. you never know with the pittsburgh steelers which makes draft day that much more exciting.

Very true that we never know what the Steelers will do on draft day.

-But, I was pimping Woodley as a college sr. and thought he would be Merriman lite.
-I was scratching my head why the steelers took a guy that is a 4-3 Will LB(Timmons) when they run a 3-4 and would have rather they traded down and taken Ben Grubbs or Joe Staley.
-trading up for a punter in the 4th made perfect sense. Especially when he was a 2-time Ray Guy award winner. Still better than Fred Gibson, Orien Harris and others.
-Mendenhall pick I loved, but I would have rather seen Jeremy Zuttah or Anthony Collins instead of Sweed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
This is year 3 for Capizzi and I wouldnt be suprised to see him push Colon. As for Legursky, I believe he is the next center after Hartwig.

Capizzi is becoming the Walter Young of the O line.

Legursky might be here as a backup C and a long snapper.

The Definiti0n
03-04-2009, 10:09 PM
After reading that article my mind has changed. IntialIy I wanted us to draft a O-lineman. But do we really want to add another young and inexperienced guard or tackle to our already young and inexperienced line? Not to mention I dont think there will be any lineman available at the 32nd pick that will be a upgrade over anyone in the group we have.