PDA

View Full Version : AFC North mailbag: Steelers draft plans

mesaSteeler
02-28-2009, 12:59 AM
AFC North mailbag: Steelers draft plans
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-161/AFC-North-mailbag--Steelers-draft-plans.html
February 27, 2009 6:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Let's get right into it.

Jon from Fombell, PA writes: James, love your column! In addition to being a die hard Steelers fan, I'm a huge Alabama football fan. I've been reading a lot about how Andre Smith is messing up his draft stock from skipping the combine, and other things. I can't help but be a little excited though, at the hope his stock might drop enough to be the 32nd pick! Do you think there's a realistic chance of him wearing Black & Gold?

James Walker: Don't count on it, Jon. Smith's stock has taken a dip, but it hasn't completely tanked to the last pick of the first round. Smith will have a chance to improve his stock somewhat at his pro day.

Joshua from Blacksburg, VA writes: I know that from rumors that the Steelers are looking for a center/guard in the first round (Alex Mack or Max Unger), is there any thought as to whether or not they're interested in any defensive linemen?

James Walker: Joshua, the age on the defensive line is a concern but it's not a primary concern. Players such as Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are very good players as long as they're healthy. The Steelers, with the exception of Keisel, got lucky with the unit's health on their way to winning another Super Bowl. Last year's starters also will be this year's starters, so I don't see Pittsburgh addressing this need until after the first round.

steelerdave1969
02-28-2009, 07:03 AM
I would like to see the Steelers address their defensive line need for youth and depth. They need to do this for sure for the future, cause they need time to work them into the 3-4 defensive style the Steelers employ.

Galax Steeler
02-28-2009, 07:10 AM
There is no way that Andre Smith will fall to the 32nd pick nice thinking but it won't happen.

GodofGridiron
02-28-2009, 11:27 AM
We might not go Olineman first round. I think we might go Best Available outside Running back,Quarterback and Tight end.

Wouldnt surprise me if its a DB as our #1.

KeiselPower99
02-28-2009, 11:53 AM
In my best Kevin Colbert voice. The only postions were are not gonna draft first is QB Rb Te and maybe LB.

Vincent
02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
In my best Kevin Colbert voice. The only postions were are not gonna draft first is QB Rb Te and maybe LB.

Its a luxury to be in that position that they bought by tying up Max and Kemo. Now they pick the best available. I'd still like to see us get Mack.

georgedejungle
02-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Yes, I think the Steelers will be able to continue fine this year with their starting front three DLinemen.

No need to draft a DLineman in round one, especially since he would probably sit most of the season and we have dire needs on the OLine getting worse each year because it has not been properly addressed.

DLineman in a later round for sure.