PDA

View Full Version : Market for McFadden likely will determine whether he returns to Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Market for McFadden likely will determine whether he returns to Steelers
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2009/wwhi022609.htm
By Mike Wilkening
Feb. 26, 2009

From all indications, the market for unrestricted free-agent CB Bryant McFadden likely will tell the tale on whether he will return to the Steelers. “He is a priority, but we know we can’t keep this whole team together,” Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “We understand that.” McFadden, 27, is regarded as one of the top players available at his position in free agency. McFadden, who has 18 career starts and seven interceptions in four NFL seasons, could hold appeal to teams favoring zone coverages.

Should McFadden depart, third-year CB William Gay is likely to step into the starting lineup, with dependable veteran Deshea Townsend as insurance. Gay started four games last season, all when McFadden was out of the lineup with a broken arm. In 16 regular-season games he notched 41 tackles, defended seven passes and made his first career interception.

Preacher
02-28-2009, 12:16 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2009/wwhi022609.htm
By Mike Wilkening
Feb. 26, 2009

From all indications, the market for unrestricted free-agent CB Bryant McFadden likely will tell the tale on whether he will return to the Steelers. “He is a priority, but we know we can’t keep this whole team together,” Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “We understand that.” McFadden, 27, is regarded as one of the top players available at his position in free agency. McFadden, who has 18 career starts and seven interceptions in four NFL seasons, could hold appeal to teams favoring zone coverages.

Should McFadden depart, third-year CB William Gay is likely to step into the starting lineup, with dependable veteran Deshea Townsend as insurance. Gay started four games last season, all when McFadden was out of the lineup with a broken arm. In 16 regular-season games he notched 41 tackles, defended seven passes and made his first career interception.

I forgot about him starting.

Yeah, I am a lot more comfortable remembering that even. Heck, let McF go and pick up a guy in the draft.

lilyoder6
02-28-2009, 01:21 AM
i thought that deshea started again when b-mac went down.. but at least gay has some starting exp

The Duke
02-28-2009, 03:44 AM
Gay will be fine as a starter

and he could even develop as a better player in the end....

But they still need to draft at least one CB early to replace deshea. unless they sign miller or carr, which I doubt happens

steelerdave1969
02-28-2009, 05:49 AM
I would love to see the Steelers keep Bryant McFadden, but I really dont see it happening either. I think in the end that McFadden will end up somewhere that will suprise us all. A bad team, lots of money $$$$$

Galax Steeler
02-28-2009, 05:52 AM
I would love to see the Steelers keep Bryant McFadden, but I really dont see it happening either. I think in the end that McFadden will end up somewhere that will suprise us all. A bad team, lots of money $$$$$

Someone will overpay him it happens everytime.

KeiselPower99
02-28-2009, 09:14 AM
With Tomlin and LeBeau both being former DB coaches Gay should develop quite nicely. Hell he already as.

CPanther95
02-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Someone will overpay him it happens everytime.

No question. If he doesn't go to a team who deliberately has a plan for him - he'll go to one of those teams that did nothing during free agency and need to put something together to look like they are doing something.

SteelShooter
02-28-2009, 09:46 AM

:iagree: what he said

Blitzburgh_Fever
02-28-2009, 01:32 PM
From what I remember, Gay didn't play that much last year. 41 tackles is impressive if he had as little play time as I remember. 7 deflected passes is nice too. Keep in mind Gay was covering the slot man, and we played some teams who had some pretty good guys in the slot. Usually high tackle numbers = bad CB (DeAngelo Fall, anyone?), but when playing slot it's not quite as cut-and-dry.

iceman000123
02-28-2009, 03:51 PM
I do feel safe with Gay backing us up however i would still like to see Mcfadden stay with us. Although I doubt that will happen cause he probably will end up getting overpayed by another team. shoot the redskins have already set the bar.

The Duke
02-28-2009, 05:35 PM
From what I remember, Gay didn't play that much last year. 41 tackles is impressive if he had as little play time as I remember. 7 deflected passes is nice too. Keep in mind Gay was covering the slot man, and we played some teams who had some pretty good guys in the slot. Usually high tackle numbers = bad CB (DeAngelo Fall, anyone?), but when playing slot it's not quite as cut-and-dry.

Well, he actually did play a lot. Starting in games against the bolts, bengals, pats and cowboys. plus he alternated with bryant a lot down the stretch

I have complete confidence that he can start

gotta get myself a william gay sig, lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2009, 06:23 PM
I expect to see Taylor, Townsend start camp as the starting corners, with Gay pushing to see if he can take the #2 job.....but not winning it.

I think we will see a draft pick, Roy Lewis and maybe a veteran compete for depth on the roster. Leigh Bodden might be too big of a name, but another CB like him.

rbryan
02-28-2009, 07:22 PM
BMac.....it's been nice to know you, but I can't help but feel like I hardly knew ya....good luck with (insert name of mediocre team here)

BrandonCarr39
02-28-2009, 07:38 PM
By Mike Wilkening
Feb. 26, 2009

FYI-we just traded Anthony Henry to the Lions for Jon Kitna today(to shore up our backup QB spot).

Yeah, if anything, we need a starting CB. Do you think McFadden could fit into Wade Phillips' 3-4 system? Can he play press coverage OK?

TasmanianTroy271
03-01-2009, 10:14 AM
In response to the name of this thread, what is the market for McFadden?

I've been checking Rotoworld daily ever since the off-season started, and the only mentions of teams being interested is a visit with the Cards today and a 2 "reports" that the Lions and Broncos are "interested", but no visits. They even remark on the fact that if he were to sign with the Cards, he'd probably have to compete with Rod Hood to be a starter. With Dominique Foxworth, Deangelo Hall, Lito Sheppard, and Anthony Henry all being moved around or signing long deals, and Bryant's only interview as a "potential" starter, is there less of a market for McFadden then we thought?

Or, am I just thinking about things way too much since we're only 3 days into Free Agency? lol that could be true, too...

P.S. Now that I realize it, The Lions were the ones who were supposedly "Very Interested" in Bryant, and he was "leaning towards" signing with them. Then they trade for Henry? Hmmm...

lilyoder6
03-01-2009, 11:43 AM
FYI-we just traded Anthony Henry to the Lions for Jon Kitna today(to shore up our backup QB spot).

Yeah, if anything, we need a starting CB. Do you think McFadden could fit into Wade Phillips' 3-4 system? Can he play press coverage OK?

i think that the cowboys should find a better covering safety to start than trying to bring in b-mac...

i think the 2 draft picks last yr deal a good job... and would fill in nicely...

Havik
03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I hope McFadden returns, he was outstanding last year. I'd prefer to see Townsend and William Gay as nickel and dime backs, not starters. If we lose McFadden we'll need a corner in April.

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 03:11 PM
i think that the cowboys should find a better covering safety to start than trying to bring in b-mac...

i think the 2 draft picks last yr deal a good job... and would fill in nicely...

Our SS, Roy Williams, may be cut. Of course, as you guys know, he's notorious for his horrible coverage skills. Plus since they banned the horse-collar rule, his poor tackling techniques have shown their true colors.

We were hoping Anthony Henry could emerge as our FS-but looks like it didn't pan out, plus he didn't play S since college.

Who knows? If you guys get SS Roy, maybe Lebeau can utilize him better?:coffee:

Vincent
03-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Our SS, Roy Williams, may be cut.

If you folks need a safety, young Anthony Smith is available. He's quite a hitter. And really smart too. :rofl:

lilyoder6
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Our SS, Roy Williams, may be cut. Of course, as you guys know, he's notorious for his horrible coverage skills. Plus since they banned the horse-collar rule, his poor tackling techniques have shown their true colors.

We were hoping Anthony Henry could emerge as our FS-but looks like it didn't pan out, plus he didn't play S since college.

Who knows? If you guys get SS Roy, maybe Lebeau can utilize him better?:coffee:

i thought anthony henry was traded 2 the lions

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
i thought anthony henry was traded 2 the lions

That's why we were going to cut him, b/c he wasn't panning out, and he wasn't getting any younger either(he's too slow to be a shutdown corner). But instead, we ended up dumping him elsewhere(to the Lions for Kitna).

Good for us b/c if he had been released, he likely would have been picked up by one of our NFCE rivals.

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
If you folks need a safety, young Anthony Smith is available. He's quite a hitter. And really smart too. :rofl:

LOL - we already have too many talkers on our team to boot!

tony hipchest
03-01-2009, 04:08 PM
LOL - we already have too many talkers on our team to boot!actually a. smith would be perfect for you guys as SS. i said 2 years ago that he could be a starter for the cowboys, no problem.

b-mac would be a fine compliment to t. newman on the other side too. id hate to see either of this happen cause personally i hate to see the cowboys upgrade in any fashion.

both steelers would be an upgrade (as wouldve adding larry foote.)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Tony, I agree that Anthony Smith would be a good fit in Dallas.

Personally, I think he will end up as a SS candidate in Baltimore to replace Jim Leonard.

tony hipchest
03-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Tony, I agree that Anthony Smith would be a good fit in Dallas.

Personally, I think he will end up as a SS candidate in Baltimore to replace Jim Leonard.damn. i havent even thought about that. i'd hate to see him excel there (as im sure he would).

i guess it might make up for us taking harrison offa their hands.