PDA

View Full Version : History Shows Good Things for Second-Year Steelers Receivers

Shoes
02-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Sweeeeeeeeed :chuckle:

He's going to be a good one

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/2/28/775198/story-title

STEELAMANIA
02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Just throw the ball to SWEED....he'll score automatically fo sho

Vincent
02-28-2009, 02:51 PM
I think Sweed will pan out. But with reservations.

I have a Sweed McFarlane that doesn't have a head yet. Would have had it until that drop in the AFCCG. And it ain't getting a head til he starts catching TDs :helmet:

OX1947
02-28-2009, 03:06 PM
That hit on Ivy showed me where his head was. His head was, I screwed up and now this mofo is going to pay. That is the kind of football player you want on a team. Sweed gets open, which is the hardest transition for a receiver from college to pros. So all he has to do is relax and play and he will be a money player.

Texasteel
02-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Sweed has proved he can run a rout. His problem was not getting open. His problem was concentration catching the ball. I fully expect him to be much better next year and spend a lot more time on the field.

devilsdancefloor
02-28-2009, 03:33 PM
He is gonna be a good one. You can almost feel it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Crushzilla
02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
No laughing here. He's learning under some of the best. He can be one of them too. I dont know why people mock him so much. Give him time.

I think we only laugh because there were some last year who were convinced that he was the answer to our offensive woes around mid-season.

tony hipchest
02-28-2009, 04:28 PM
he just needs a pair of nike vision contacts like santonio and he'll be fine.

GBMelBlount
02-28-2009, 04:37 PM

So do I. Rookie jitters, learning the system, gaining confidence, etc. Lots of good pro players (like Troy) need a year or two to transition from college ball. I'm certainly not worried yet.

iceman000123
02-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Uh, didnt he prove he could run a route by GETTING open? Hehe, conflicting statements anyone? :wink:

I think he meant to say that getting open wasn't the problem and that the problem was just his lack of focus when going for the catch. Or... Maybe he said what he meant :noidea:

LukesDad88
02-28-2009, 06:00 PM
He said that Sweed's problem was not getting open... IE, no problem there. It could have been read either way, though.

I notice the article doesn't mention Reid's second year... How did Fred Gibson's second year go?

HometownGal
02-28-2009, 06:16 PM
I dont know why people mock him so much. Give him time.

Because a lot of Steelers fans are impatient and don't get it that every player needs time to develop and adjust to playing at the NFL level. It doesn't happen overnight folks!

I really believe Sweed is going to develop into a damned good WR and become a nice target for Ben in the upcoming season. I believe in SWEEEEEEEED! :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
02-28-2009, 09:32 PM

I have a Sweed McFarlane that doesn't have a head yet. Would have had it until that drop in the AFCCG. And it ain't getting a head til he starts catching TDs :helmet: :pde: ........to easy....:chuckle:

Preacher
02-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Sweed has proved he can run a rout. His problem was not getting open. His problem was concentration catching the ball. I fully expect him to be much better next year and spend a lot more time on the field.

Nope. I don't think concentration was his problem either.

It was, pure and simple, game speed.

Watch on that play where he drops the TD pass. about a second before he reaches out for the ball, he has to speed up and stretch to get to the ball. He got completely out of rhythm. Why? Because he isn't used to the ball getting to him so fast. Was he looking elsewhere? I don't think so, I think he wasn't used to tracking a ball moving that fast.

Remember, the game speeds up tremendously coming out of college into the NFL.

Then, as the season progresses, it speeds up even more.

Playoffs? A whole NEW level.

Sweed basically was thrown in to the playoffs with minimal exposure to the game speed.

He will be fine once he gets a season or two at this level under his belt.

iceman000123
03-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Watch on that play where he drops the TD pass. about a second before he reaches out for the ball, he has to speed up and stretch to get to the ball. He got completely out of rhythm. Why? Because he isn't used to the ball getting to him so fast. Was he looking elsewhere? I don't think so, I think he wasn't used to tracking a ball moving that fast.

Sweed basically was thrown in to the playoffs with minimal exposure to the game speed.

Now that you mention. I agree that would make a whole lot of since. He hasn't had much Play time during the regular season so when he got in then things might have just been moving to fast for him.

rich4eagle
03-01-2009, 06:05 PM
My gut say Sweed will become a top notch NFL receiver just as my gut felt the same about Santanio Holmes when he was drafted and subsequently looked down upon for some time

AllD
03-01-2009, 07:33 PM
There was a second year WR receiver back in 1975 whose name was Lynn something. He did pretty well in SB X against that over rated team from Texas.

I am not saying Sweed will ever compare to #88, but he still has a couple of years to prove himself.

Rookie WRs generally have little impact on their teams in that position. They ususally end up on KOs and punt returns.

If Sweed shows growth with better hands, we already know he has speed. He might improve the receiving corps and show that Washington is really an average #3 receiver on a good team.

Shoes
03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm excited for the young man.....its all there. Remember how many times Santonio Holmes fumbled his first year.

Pi Kapp Steeler
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I really hope that they keep Washington and let McFadden go. McFadden only started what like 18 games total?? He is not going to be the worth the big money.

As of right now Washington has been at most a slot WR and deep threat guy. But hes a damn good one! I feel that in time that Sweed will pass him on the Depth chart. and our WRs could look something like this.

Holmes
Sweed
Washington

and ya Miller

I dont mention Hines because i feel like he is going to walk. 2 superbowl rings, hes body isnt responding to injury as well as he wants it to. Dont get me wrong i dont want him to but come 2010 i would understand if he wanted to hang em up.

But if im wrong ... he will be a huge asset to the offense in the future to.

lilyoder6
03-01-2009, 08:52 PM
like ppl has said.. a rookie is like a redshirt freshman.. getting used to the playbook and adjusting to the game speed... and i do beleive that being thrown into the fire that was the AFCCG he should be well adjusted to game speed b/c only thing bigger than that is the SB..

Pi Kapp Steeler
03-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Hines Ward is by far. BY FAR the best wide receiver on this team. There's very little question about it. He didnt finish up the playoffs with a bang, but that's no reason to forget what he gives this team. And i cant imagine a scenario where Hines Ward hangs it up after 2010. Im sure im not the only one. Hines Ward has played in 170 games in his black and gold career, starting 150 of them, setting numerous franchise record sin the process. I think he has more than proven that he's ridiculously durable. He'll be around for a while. He's at the age of 31 i believe right now. He's one of those receivers that keep going and going. He's an energizer bunny. Hanging it up in two years? Ha.....dont count on it! :tt02:

Hey Im with ya buddy. I think Hines is the ultimate steeler. Always playing witha chip on his shoulder. The post was all about IF scenarios . I love hines just as much as you. :drink:

paw-n-maul-u
03-02-2009, 02:33 AM
I do not think there is any reason for Hines to leave right now. Ben is coming into the prime of his career ... the defense alone could carry this team as well.

I think he has 2-3 more decently productive seasons ... Sometimes less is more when vets start winding down and I really liked how tomlin rest hines. More of that will surely prolong his career. Ha now I'm not saying ever to sit him out a game, even against the browns or lions, (like the suns do with the big diesel every few games) ... but he needs a healthy body the way he plays.

Plax had a great year for the giants playing with an injury only really doing anything on game days. that might be extreme too, but keep hines healthy for atleast another 2 years

Preacher
03-02-2009, 03:25 AM
Hines Ward is by far. BY FAR the best wide receiver on this team. There's very little question about it. He didnt finish up the playoffs with a bang, but that's no reason to forget what he gives this team. And i cant imagine a scenario where Hines Ward hangs it up after 2010. Im sure im not the only one. Hines Ward has played in 170 games in his black and gold career, starting 150 of them, setting numerous franchise record sin the process. I think he has more than proven that he's ridiculously durable. He'll be around for a while. He's at the age of 31 i believe right now. He's one of those receivers that keep going and going. He's an energizer bunny. Hanging it up in two years? Ha.....dont count on it! :tt02:

The best? I gotta disagree, not by far the best. Hines has turned into an excellent position receiver. He is someone we can depend on. But he is becoming an old man in football years. He can't stretch the field (not that he did a great job ever stretching it) anymore. He dropped a whole lot of balls this year as well.

I think sometime next year, HOlmes will become the best receiver on the team, and possibly the best receiver in teh AFCN.

Now, if you are talking about the best PLAYER on the team, including lockeroom leadership, then it goes to Ward, just like it went to Bettis in 2001-2005. Because in all honesty, I think we are starting to see Ward move into that realm of his career. Luckily, as a WR, that part of the career doesn't see the same drop off as a RB does.

I say it is 50-50 whether Ward continues after this contract is up.

OX1947
03-02-2009, 03:51 AM
Hines Ward is one of the most clutch players I have ever seen. He always seems to make the back breaking catch that lets the life out of the opponent.

Hines will be finishing his 12th season next year. I believe he has 2 years left after that which would make it a 14 yr career. If he can play the way he did this year for 3 more seasons, he will have over 1,000 catches, over 12,000 yards and around 90 TD's. That's with 90% of his career in a run first, don't pass the entire 4th quarter when up by 11 or more type offense. And revolutionized the receiver position by actually being a complete package and being and ambassador of the Steelers and the NFL. And of course, at least a 2 time world champ and SB MVP. That's hall of fame material if there ever was one.....

Galax Steeler
03-02-2009, 06:20 AM
The best? I gotta disagree, not by far the best. Hines has turned into an excellent position receiver. He is someone we can depend on. But he is becoming an old man in football years. He can't stretch the field (not that he did a great job ever stretching it) anymore. He dropped a whole lot of balls this year as well.

I think sometime next year, HOlmes will become the best receiver on the team, and possibly the best receiver in teh AFCN.

If Ward aint the best and Holmes is going to be the best sometime next year then who is the best right now.:noidea:

Sorry preacher I just had to ask this.:chuckle:

Preacher
03-02-2009, 06:24 AM
If Ward aint the best and Holmes is going to be the best sometime next year then who is the best right now.:noidea:

Sorry preacher I just had to ask this.:chuckle:

Your Momma!

:buttkick:

:rofl:

(good catch, right now, I have to say they are even. I am hoping Holmes will turn into a double threat. . . someone who can be a possession receiver AND a big play receiver depending on the time left in the game. Funny, I always think of Steve Largent when it comes to that kind of guy, Ward was like that as well in his prime... and can still flash it.

Interesting... I wonder how many comparisons can be made between Largent and Ward? Both were guys who got to where they were by hard work as much or more than by skill. . .

And yeah, Largent could HIT. . . though he only did it once or twice.

0un51WFVrUI

And notice... it was a form tackle too. . . until he let the guy go flying.

Glace
03-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, we gotta give Sweed some time.

Holmes' first year...I was ready to call him a bust..... Pretty much my same feelings toward Sweed this season after some of his rediculous drops.

Santo has come around big time, and I expect the same from Sweed eventually. Sooner rather than later, I hope.

We'll need him to step up if Washington leaves, but I've never been high on Washington either.

Indo
03-02-2009, 06:16 PM

I completely agree with this.
You can read about this phenomenon just about anywhere...the QBs (including Ben) talk about how the game "slows down" in the 2nd year.
It's not that the game actually slows, but that the player steps up and becomes accustomed to the speed of the game at the Pro level.

The game will slow down for Sweed

and we will all be yelling (in a GOOD way),

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

Galax Steeler
03-03-2009, 05:05 AM
[QUOTE=Preacher;573217]Your Momma![/QUOTE

:buttkick:

:rofl:
She plays some good football had 4 touchdowns last year. :flap:

lilyoder6
03-03-2009, 09:38 AM
if the steelers don't pick up a wr after they let the FA cool down.. they draft a wr 4/5th rd area