PDA

View Full Version : If there is NO OL worth 1st rd

devilsdancefloor
02-28-2009, 06:55 PM
If there is NO OL worth 1st rd pick do we BPA? if hakeem Hicks or Clint Sintim are available do you forsee the steelers drating either or maybe someone else besides a OL or DL?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2009, 07:16 PM
There will be all kinds of OL worthy of the #32 pick. The question is if all the OT's are gone, will the Steelers go interior line like Alex Mack, Duke Robinson.......or D line.

They will go best available and could pick from a bunch of guys like Mack, Gilbert, Moala or maybe a CB like Darius Butler will be there.

I really cant see them picking a WR at #32, but its happened before.

St33lersguy
02-28-2009, 08:22 PM
What about trading down? That way the Steelers can get more picks to address their need and get better value rather than completely wasting a pick getting a guy the Steelers don't need.

MasterOfPuppets
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
if they don't feel they're gonna be able to lock up harrison long term, an OLB'er may creep into the picture. i like sintim.....:thumbsup:

Texasteel
02-28-2009, 11:02 PM
if they don't feel they're gonna be able to lock up harrison long term, an OLB'er may creep into the picture. i like sintim.....:thumbsup:

He is a pass rushing machine, and could go anyplace in the last 1/4 of the 1st round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 01:27 AM
I think take the best available D lineman or trade down for extra pick in the 2nd if possible.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 01:47 AM
I think take the best available D lineman or trade down for extra pick in the 2nd if possible.that would be thier best move, but i'd like to see em stay above the 42nd pick, just to stay ahead of some of the other 3-4 teams,( SF,miami,denver,) that could beat us to better D prospects.

Preacher
03-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Thing is, we can look for a ILB in teh second or third round.

Don't forget, Timmons was drafted to be the other OLB. He can fill that role.

Then you draft to build over the next year or two again.

First and second round should probably go to the trenches.

Texasteel
03-01-2009, 06:31 AM
that would be thier best move, but i'd like to see em stay above the 42nd pick, just to stay ahead of some of the other 3-4 teams,( SF,miami,denver,) that could beat us to better D prospects.

About 8 spots would be just about right. That should keep one of the 3 players we've talked about, Hood, Gilbert, and Wood, in play for us.

Texasteel
03-01-2009, 06:38 AM
I think take the best available D lineman or trade down for extra pick in the 2nd if possible.

How about moving down about 8 to 10 picks, then using the extra pick to moving our 2nd rounder up. We could end up with both Gilbert and Wood. Then maybe take the best RT left in the 3rd.

Of course a lot of this depends on what they think Hill will do for us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 12:49 PM
How about moving down about 8 to 10 picks, then using the extra pick to moving our 2nd rounder up. We could end up with both Gilbert and Wood. Then maybe take the best RT left in the 3rd.

Of course a lot of this depends on what they think Hill will do for us.

I believe the thought is that Hills will backup at LT and maybe compete for a RT spot. The Steelers basically have the same O line returning from last year (like it or not). I think they will still consider Colon as the starter at RT and look to bolster the interior with guys like Wood, Mack, Robinson, Urbik, Feinga, Vasquez, etc. I think they will also look for OT depth in somebody like Meridith, Loadholt, Boone, Parrish, Fulton, etc.

Gilbert and Wood would be nice. I just want them to address both the D line and O line like they said they would last year.........but did not.

As for a LB. We drafted Timmons, Woodley, Bruce Davis with high picks in the past 2 years. I hope they dont further ignore the lines by selecting a LB in the 1st. I'd rather see them look at the 2nd tier of guys like Jasper Brinkley or Scott McKillop as ILB's and consider our OLB corps solid.

Texasteel
03-01-2009, 02:46 PM
We can only hope.

steelerdave1969
03-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I really dont see the Steelers trading their #1 pick at all. I think the Steelers stay where they are at and take the best available player just like they did last year when they selected RB Rashard Mendenhall. He was not a necessary need, but he will be a good weapon in his 2nd season and the future of being our no.1 RB in a couple years or sooner.
I wouldnt mind at all seeing the Steelers go OL, DL or DB/S in the 1st round, but WR Hakeem Nicks would not hurt my feelings either.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 06:24 PM
I believe the thought is that Hills will backup at LT and maybe compete for a RT spot. The Steelers basically have the same O line returning from last year (like it or not). I think they will still consider Colon as the starter at RT and look to bolster the interior with guys like Wood, Mack, Robinson, Urbik, Feinga, Vasquez, etc. I think they will also look for OT depth in somebody like Meridith, Loadholt, Boone, Parrish, Fulton, etc.

Gilbert and Wood would be nice. I just want them to address both the D line and O line like they said they would last year.........but did not.

As for a LB. We drafted Timmons, Woodley, Bruce Davis with high picks in the past 2 years. I hope they dont further ignore the lines by selecting a LB in the 1st. I'd rather see them look at the 2nd tier of guys like Jasper Brinkley or Scott McKillop as ILB's and consider our OLB corps solid. ok, picture this....bruce davis ends up being a bust......harrison wants crazy money......woodley has 20 sacks next year and also wants the monster contract....now we need 2 OLB'S.....:noidea: i think timmons has more value as an ILB'ER than outside.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 06:30 PM
ok, picture this....bruce davis ends up being a bust......harrison wants crazy money......woodley has 20 sacks next year and also wants the monster contract....now we need 2 OLB'S.....:noidea: i think timmons has more value as an ILB'ER than outside.

When the stars line up like that.......let me know. :wink:

Otherwise, we should address the D and O line. Just think, last year we could have had
#1 Philip Merling DE
#2 Jeremy Zuttah OG
#3 Anthony Collins OT
#4 Carl Nicks OG/OT

Then, we could draft all the LB's, RB's and WR's you want this season. :thumbsup: Cant rewrite history, so the next best thing is to make new history this year in the draft.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 08:29 PM
When the stars line up like that.......let me know. :wink:

Otherwise, we should address the D and O line. Just think, last year we could have had
#1 Philip Merling DE
#2 Jeremy Zuttah OG
#3 Anthony Collins OT
#4 Carl Nicks OG/OT

Then, we could draft all the LB's, RB's and WR's you want this season. :thumbsup: Cant rewrite history, so the next best thing is to make new history this year in the draft.
it's actually a very realistic scenerio. davis couldn't even get on the field to help out on special teams, and from what i've read they've been pretty unhappy with his developement thus far. apparently contract talks with harrison , haven't been favorable so far. hainsworth's deal, surely isn't gonna help things. he probably wants to see what ware gets, and we all know thats not gonna work in the steelers favor. another good year out of woodley, and factor in his age will most likely result in a huge payday for him, so either way, i don't see the steelers being able to pay both ransoms, especially when you factor in , heath, holmes and hine's pending deals.....:noidea:

lilyoder6
03-01-2009, 08:41 PM
since having the last pick in the 1st rd.. i wouldn't mind the steelers trading down and getting an extra pick to help both lines and depth at wr and sec

St33lersguy
03-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I really dont see the Steelers trading their #1 pick at all. I think the Steelers stay where they are at and take the best available player just like they did last year when they selected RB Rashard Mendenhall. He was not a necessary need, but he will be a good weapon in his 2nd season and the future of being our no.1 RB in a couple years or sooner.
I wouldnt mind at all seeing the Steelers go OL, DL or DB/S in the 1st round, but WR Hakeem Nicks would not hurt my feelings either.

Then I guess they don't realize that instead of wasting a pick on a guy the Steelers don't need and be a backup if there is tons of depth at that position rather than gain more picks and pick up guys the Steelers need at better value

BKAnthem
03-12-2009, 03:02 AM
It seems the Steelers won it all in spite of the draft and O line.....they will not get away with that this year....don't be a fool Colbert...don't be a fool...

Steeldude
03-12-2009, 10:33 AM
i have said a few times already, don't be surprised of the steelers take a WR in the 1st. if they pick a WR in the first this draft, then don't be surprised if they pick a WR in the first again next draft.

my personal priority lists goes like this...

OL
DL
CB
LB..then whatever else

Galax Steeler
03-13-2009, 05:01 AM
I would rather see them take a good corner in the first rather then a reciever.