PDA

View Full Version : Rams make Brown the highest paid center in the NFL.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2009, 12:26 AM
5-year, $37.5million deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80efe0a4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I thought the guy might get a $5-6mil a year deal, but $7.5mil a season. Isnt there a recession going on? :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 12:32 AM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80efe0a4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I thought the guy might get a $5-6mil a year deal, but $7.5mil a season. Isnt there a recession going on? :noidea: i think the ravens offered him 5.5, from what i read, he wanted top guard money...:noidea:

devilsdancefloor
03-01-2009, 12:34 AM
i can belevie he is getting that much! But maybe it is extra to go play for the pitiful rams:noidea:

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 12:38 AM

I thought the guy might get a $5-6mil a year deal, but $7.5mil a season. Isnt there a recession going on? :noidea:

I read the Eagles wanted him-However, I think them getting Stacey Andrews instead had alot to do with joining, and looking out for his brother Shawn.

Overall-great start for the new Rams HC Steve Spagnuola.

OneForTheToe
03-01-2009, 01:38 AM
Suddenly, Kemo's contract is looking better and better, huh? It is riduculous to pay "Starks' type money" :wink02: to a guard or center. I mean Brown is a better center than Kemo is a guard ... but he isn't 3.5 million a year better, IMO.

Galax Steeler
03-01-2009, 06:39 AM
I was wanting to see Brown as a steeler but I knew we wouldn't be able to afford him.

lilyoder6
03-01-2009, 11:52 AM
good signing by the rams.. they need to get there running game back in check.. and brown is still young and what not

steelreserve
03-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Guess that means we weren't ever going to have a chance at him.

Still, he's $1 million cheaper than Starks. For that much money, I would've rather seen us pick him up and put the extra $1 million toward a washed-up veteran or an unreliable journeyman at tackle. That way, we'd have a good player in the middle and about the same level of quality at tackle.

OneForTheToe
03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Guess that means we weren't ever going to have a chance at him.

Still, he's $1 million cheaper than Starks. For that much money, I would've rather seen us pick him up and put the extra $1 million toward a washed-up veteran or an unreliable journeyman at tackle. That way, we'd have a good player in the middle and about the same level of quality at tackle.

I agree he is a better player than Starks, but I am glad we didn't sign him. Paying a new center/guard 7 million a year would only have compounded our problems. Kemo at 4 million and drafting a center to eventually take Hartwigs job, is actually better for the long run of the O'line than Brown at 7 million. At least Starks salary only binds us for one season. So we can move on in 2010 ... maybe.

steelreserve
03-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I agree he is a better player than Starks, but I am glad we didn't sign him. Paying a new center/guard 7 million a year would only have compounded our problems. Kemo at 4 million and drafting a center to eventually take Hartwigs job, is actually better for the long run of the O'line than Brown at 7 million. At least Starks salary only binds us for one season. So we can move on in 2010 ... maybe.

The way I look at it, between Kemo and Starks, we blew $12.5 million. I'd rather have spend $7 million on Brown, $3-$5 million on a so-so tackle (which is all Starks is) as a stopgap for one year, and draft a couple of linemen for the future both inside and outside.

I guess the main thing I'm pissed about is wasting all that money on Starks again. If we're going to keep giving him one-year deals and make him the highest-paid guy on the team, for that amount of money we could sign plenty of other guys to short-term deals and have a lot left over. If we're STILL not sure whether Starks is worth it in the long term, we ought just sack up and cut him loose by now.

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 05:45 PM
The way I look at it, between Kemo and Starks, we blew $12.5 million. I'd rather have spend $7 million on Brown, $3-$5 million on a so-so tackle (which is all Starks is) as a stopgap for one year, and draft a couple of linemen for the future both inside and outside.

I guess the main thing I'm pissed about is wasting all that money on Starks again. If we're going to keep giving him one-year deals and make him the highest-paid guy on the team, for that amount of money we could sign plenty of other guys to short-term deals and have a lot left over. If we're STILL not sure whether Starks is worth it in the long term, we ought just sack up and cut him loose by now.

Isn't that LT position the 2nd most important one on the offense?(with it being the QB's blindside et al)

LTs just don't grow on trees-which is why Dallas had no choice but to overpay Flozell Adams last year, despite him being 35 years old. Sure-he's a bonehead b/c of his abundance of false starts/game, but nonetheless he's done an excellent job being Romo's bodyguard.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Isn't that LT position the 2nd most important one on the offense?(with it being the QB's blindside et al)

LTs just don't grow on trees-which is why Dallas had no choice but to overpay Flozell Adams last year, despite him being 35 years old. Sure-he's a bonehead b/c of his abundance of false starts/game, but nonetheless he's done an excellent job being Romo's bodyguard. adams gave up 6.5 sacks last year.....:popcorn:

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
adams gave up 6.5 sacks last year.....:popcorn:

For the most part-he's been very good(in previous years that is). Tas true though-he really **** the bed last year. Although to be fair, 3/4 of the team did so as well.

Steelman16
03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Harrison enjoyed him for lunch. :flap: