PDA

View Full Version : Holmes' home cooking

mesaSteeler
03-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Holmes' home cooking
BAY AREA NEWS GROUP
Posted: 02/28/2009 05:26:11 PM PST
http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_11809618?source=rss

It doesn't appear Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes has much of a chance for a fair trial on his marijuana possession charge. Lucky for him.

At Holmes' arraignment last week in Pittsburgh Municipal Court, district judge Gene Ricciardi told the Pittsburgh Steelers receiver: "I want to commend you for donating your receiver gloves to charity. It shows you have a strong character."

Doesn't sound like a guy who is eager to find Holmes guilty.

Holmes received a hero's welcome when he arrived at the downtown courtroom Thursday. Deputy district attorney Christopher Avetta caught up to him and said: "That was a good catch," referring to Holmes' touchdown reception that lifted the Steelers to a 27-23 win over the Arizona Cardinals.

After heaping praise on the defendant, Ricciardi proceeded to arraign Holmes and release him on his own recognizance.

Holmes' attorney, Robert Del Greco, said his client will challenge the validity of the traffic stop that led to the charge. Holmes was arrested in October after police found three marijuana-fiilled cigars in his sport utility vehicle. Police said they were searching for a similar vehicle in an unrelated incident.

That apparently doesn't bother Ricciardi, who must have been watching closely when Congressman Elijah Cummings called Roger Clemens his hero during steroid hearings.

(Good thing he didn't get busted in Cleveland or they would have locked him up and thrown away the key. Still I hope he learns from the incident and that Tomlin, Ward, and Mr. Rooney can straighten him out. - mesa)

stillers4me
03-01-2009, 08:07 AM
I bet we'll either skate or get off very easy. Either way, I hope he realizes how much he has to lose.

Here's to an uneventful off season. :drink: (that means you, Ben. :wink02:)

Galax Steeler
03-01-2009, 08:10 AM
That was a great thing Holmes done for charity I don't know what he got for the gloves,but I bet it wasn't cheap.

stillers4me
03-01-2009, 08:16 AM
That was a great thing Holmes done for charity I don't know what he got for the gloves,but I bet it wasn't cheap.

The final bid was over $70,000.

mesaSteeler
03-01-2009, 08:17 AM

In answer to you question.

Santonio Holmes' Super Bowl Gloves Fetch Big Bucks For Charity
Proceeds To Benefit Sickle Cell Charity Funds
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/18655686/detail.html
UPDATED: 2:49 pm EST February 17, 2009

PITTSBURGH -- Someone will soon be the proud new owner of the gloves that caught the biggest pass in Pittsburgh Steelers history.

Santonio Holmes, the Most Valuable Player of Super Bowl XLIII, auctioned the gloves he wore when he grabbed Ben Roethlisberger's late touchdown toss in that game.

The auction raised a total of $70,200. The winning bidder's name is not yet known.

All proceeds from the auction will benefit the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Inc.

Holmes' 6-year-old son has sickle cell disease, a disorder that affects red blood cells.

HometownGal
03-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Knowing Bob Del Greco as I do, he will find a way to either get Santo off completely or with a slap on the wrist. I hope either way, we don't hear Santo's name again until mini-camp. :drink:

mesaSteeler
03-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Knowing Bob Del Greco as I do, he will find a way to either get Santo off completely or with a slap on the wrist. I hope either way, we don't hear Santo's name again until mini-camp. :drink:

I have mixed feeling about letting him off completely. How about some community service? The young man need to learn from the experience and to straighten up and fly right.

Cops in Ohio will be gunning for Holmes now.

Texasteel
03-01-2009, 08:34 AM
I have mixed feeling about letting him off completely. How about some community service? The young man need to learn from the experience and to straighten up and fly right.

Community Service is a safe bet, but really meaningless. I figure he was scheduled for a his share of charity work this off season anyway.

stillers4me
03-01-2009, 08:38 AM

Tomlin already got the point across.

4xSBChamps
03-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Tomlin already got the point across.

..... we can only-hope!!!!!

:drink:

HometownGal
03-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Oh I wasn't saying at all that Santo should get off scott free, but simply saying that Del Greco is one helluva criminal attorney and will do the best possible job for his client.

I totally agree that Santo should have to account for his mistakes here. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

iceman000123
03-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Oh I wasn't saying at all that Santo should get off scott free, but simply saying that Del Greco is one helluva criminal attorney and will do the best possible job for his client.

I totally agree that Santo should have to account for his mistakes here. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Hopefully Holmes will straighten out and this will fade away as the new season begins once he makes up for his mistake.

devilsdancefloor
03-01-2009, 04:29 PM
I thkn he is already changing his ways. Since he hung out watching movies with his kids during super bowl week instead of hanging out with jeff reed:wink02::chuckle:

fansince'76
03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Holmes was arrested in October after police found three marijuana-filled cigars in his sport utility vehicle. Police said they were searching for a similar vehicle in an unrelated incident.

That apparently doesn't bother Ricciardi, who must have been watching closely when Congressman Elijah Cummings called Roger Clemens his hero during steroid hearings.

Ummm, has Holmes ever lied through his teeth under oath about it? Talk about a reach of a comparison. Who the hell wrote this tripe, a Bungles fan? :coffee:

tony hipchest
03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
tomlin and the rooneys have already taken action and addressed this immediately. its in the past (just as tomlin said).

santonio has already felt his punishmnet, shown remorese and atoned (see his late season surge).

as for his community service... i applaud him putting his neck on the line by admitting he walked down the wrong path as a youth (to the press before the superbowl) and then put his money where his mouth is by showing he could overcome past mistakes and be the sb mvp.

stillers4me
03-01-2009, 04:43 PM
tomlin and the rooneys have already taken action and addressed this immediately. its in the past (just as tomlin said).

santonio has already felt his punishmnet, shown remorese and atoned (see his late season surge).

as for his community service... i applaud him putting his neck on the line by admitting he walked down the wrong path as a youth (to the press before the superbowl) and then put his money where his mouth is by showing he could overcome past mistakes and be the sb mvp.

And there ya go. :drink:

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 07:00 PM
geesh....the title of this thread is very misleading....i thought holmes got busted for having a meth lab in his house...:doh:

jev7452
03-01-2009, 09:04 PM
in regards to him auctioning his gloves for the sickle cell charity, i know his son has sickle cell but doesnt ryan clark have a dorminant form of that too??

AllD
03-02-2009, 01:56 PM
He could ask for a jury trial and most likely walk away to a standing ovation. However, that would portray everybody negatively. Plea it down to some anti-drug commercials- considering that marijuana is about to be decriminalized on a federal level.