PDA

View Full Version : Did Chiefs rob Patriots with 34th pick?

mesaSteeler
03-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Did Chiefs rob Patriots with 34th pick?
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-5-147/Did-Chiefs-rob-Patriots-with-34th-pick-.html
February 28, 2009 2:58 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

The 34th overall selection in this year's draft sure sounds like a bargain for the Kansas City Chiefs. That's all they gave the New England Patriots to obtain quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel.

Sound a little cheap to you?

About seven weeks ago, I explored Cassel's trade value with a pair of analysts who've been around the NFL block a time or two.

Floyd Reese was one of them. The former Tennessee Titans general manager was working for ESPN at the time.

Now he's senior football adviser with the Patriots, coming aboard when Scott Pioli left to accept the Chiefs' GM job.

Here's what Reese said back then: "It would have to be multiple choices and very high choices to get Cassel. Two first-rounders, or a one and a two and a three ... It'll be something very, very expensive."

Cassel hadn't been franchised yet, but it was common knowledge the tag was coming. So the element of unloading $14.65 million in guaranteed money was considered in the responses.

I also spoke with Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post.

Lombardi has a strong relationship with many in Patriots management, including coach Bill Belichick, from their days together with the Cleveland Browns. Lombardi was the first to report the Patriots were going to place the franchise tag on Cassel.

Lombardi claimed Cassel's starting price -- not including Vrabel -- should be the draft choices the San Diego Chargers received for Eli Manning.

At the 2004 draft, the New York Giants acquired Manning's rights for Philip Rivers' rights along with a third-round pick that year and their first- and fifth-round picks in 2005.

"Whatever the Giants gave up for Eli has to be the market," Lombardi said. "It's got to be a first-rounder, and not the 22nd or 24th pick in the draft. It has to be a substantial one and one that keeps on giving."

Galax Steeler
03-01-2009, 09:43 AM
I think the chiefs came out of this one smelling like a rose. They gave up a second round draft pick and got them a quarterback to build there team around.

rbryan
03-01-2009, 09:50 AM
You could trade them the goldenboy before the blown knee and they would still suck.

KC hasn't made a good move since they hired Hank Stram. It will take years to recover from Herm (I can't coach to save my ass but I'm always good for a soundbite) Edwards.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2009, 10:10 AM
I have been saying this since the story broke.

The Patriot hater in me would like to step back and laugh at the Pats for making such an obviously short-changed trade.

HOWEVER...

There is the SUSPICIOUS Patriot hater in me that doesnt trust the Chiefs GM Scott Pioli & the Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

Scott Pioli was the GM of the Patriots and Belichick the coach of the Patriots when the team was caught cheating by stealing/video-taping opposing teams defensive signals. They were also declaring players as "injured" instead of putting them on the practice squad but still using them in practice. This was done to keep other teams from grabbing them and still getting them reps to make them better.

Both are cheaters....proven cheaters.

So, I ask myself this...how big of an advantage would it be if two teams made a pact to show each other favoritism. If they excluded other teams from bargaining for players by promising each other "discounts" in regards to trades...inside information on players being placed on the waiver wire...etc. The two teams would have all the advantages of Free Agency while excluding the other teams from that same ability.

Right now I think..."Wow, the Chiefs got one heck of a deal"!! But I am going to keep my eyes open to any future trades or interactions between these two teams to see if the Patriots end up being the recipient of a lop-sided bargain regarding the Chiefs.

You know, to return the "favor"

Stlrs4Life
03-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I think the Chiefs made a good deal.

Dino 6 Rings
03-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Not to mention the Chiefs got a solid veteran leader now on their defense to call the signals and teach by example. Not saying Vrabel is the best in the league at this point by any means, but he is going to help that defense in KC. Interesting trade to say the least.

fansince'76
03-01-2009, 11:32 AM

The Patriot hater in me would like to step back and laugh at the Pats for making such an obviously short-changed trade.

HOWEVER...

There is the SUSPICIOUS Patriot hater in me that doesnt trust the Chiefs GM Scott Pioli & the Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

Scott Pioli was the GM of the Patriots and Belichick the coach of the Patriots when the team was caught cheating by stealing/video-taping opposing teams defensive signals. They were also declaring players as "injured" instead of putting them on the practice squad but still using them in practice. This was done to keep other teams from grabbing them and still getting them reps to make them better.

So, I ask myself this...how big of an advantage would it be if two teams made a pact to show each other favoritism. If they excluded other teams from bargaining for players by promising each other "discounts" in regards to trades...inside information on players being placed on the waiver wire...etc. The two teams would have all the advantages of Free Agency while excluding the other teams from that same ability.

Right now I think..."Wow, the Chiefs got one heck of a deal"!! But I am going to keep my eyes open to any future trades or interactions between these two teams to see if the Patriots end up being the recipient of a lop-sided bargain regarding the Chiefs.

Good points, LLT. I certainly wouldn't put a little collusion past either of the parties involved. I'll be keeping my eyes on the Broncos from here on out as well for the same reason.

KeiselPower99
03-01-2009, 11:34 AM
I think it was a hey I know somethings about you give me something to shut up.

Dino 6 Rings
03-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I think it was a hey I know somethings about you give me something to shut up.

:rofl::rofl:

devilsdancefloor
03-01-2009, 12:09 PM

HOWEVER...

im gertting the nudge nudge wink wink feeling! there is something goin on that we are not seeing. The whole cheating thing with players 8injured and taping i still think they got off way to damn easy. It should have been like the death penalty that SMU recieved in college. to me it was a slap and oh dont get caught next time please.

lilyoder6
03-01-2009, 12:29 PM
well if cassell ends up actually being good and not a 1 hit wonder or the product of the pats scheme.. then the chiefs got a good deal.. and switching 2 a 3-4 they needed someone who played in the 3-4 2 lead by example, and vrabel will do that

SteelShooter
03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
All valid points, but one would also think (in the interest of fairness.....something alien to Belichick) that they knew they would not be able to tie up 1/5 of their cap on only two personnel. Instead of just letting Cassel go, they picked up a decent draft pick....pretty much for free. They made it to where they knew that someone would pick him up and they would not get stuck holding him for an extended period of time. Did it help the deal with Pioli being on the other side of the table...no doubt in my mind at all. But I believe the biggest factor was to get him out the door with something...pretty much anything, in return.

Godfather
03-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Good deal for both sides. The Pats* unloaded a $14M backup and an old guy they didn't need. The Chiefs got a good quarterback and a veteran defensive leader dirt cheap.

stillers4me
03-01-2009, 01:05 PM
If anyone thinks that Belicreep is involved in any deal that doesn't screw someone else, I got a some land for ya to look at.