PDA

View Full Version : Washington in talks with Tennessee

mesaSteeler
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Washington in talks with Tennessee
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-167/Washington-in-talks-with-Tennessee.html

March 1, 2009 1:36 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

Here is an interesting development with free agent receiver Nate Washington: The former Pittsburgh Steeler is in Nashville today and having discussions with the Tennessee Titans.

Washington told the AFC North blog during Super Bowl week that it would be hard for him to leave the Steelers. But, to my knowledge, Pittsburgh has not made a push to keep Washington during the first 48 hours of free agency.

It's possible the Steelers are letting Washington test the market before opening the door for him to return. On the flip side, Pittsburgh did invest a second-round pick in Limas Sweed last year and may feel he's ready to step into the No. 3 receiver role.

Washington and the Titans seem like a good fit. After covering Washington a lot this season, I think playing for a winner will play a factor for him. Tennessee, which can use receiver help, could provide a good scenario where Washington gets the type of money he's searching for while also playing for a playoff contender.

Pittsburgh Steelers, 09 free agency, Nate Washington, Tennessee Titans, Limas Sweed

Give It To Abercrombie
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I want to wish the guy well if he leaves, which I expect. However going to that friggin team will make it hard if not impossible. Between being a contender who he could give a better chance of beating us and the whole 'towel thing', I have developed a whole new level of distaste for Tennessee.

:tt03:

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I want to wish the guy well if he leaves, which I expect. However going to that friggin team will make it hard if not impossible. Between being a contender who he could give a better chance of beating us and the whole 'towel thing', I have developed a whole new level of distaste for Tennessee.

Good for your team is that they seem to draft WRs consistently well-of course, this position is very hard to evaluate. Seems like alot of Pitt's WRs that go elsewhere end up having alot of success(i.e. Burress and Randle-El).

steelerdave1969
03-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Nate can make some great plays and then drop some easy ones that should be big plays. I wish him luck as long as he is not playing the Steelers.

HometownGal
03-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Ughhh - just the thought of Nate going to those TT trampers makes me want to :puke:, but I still would wish him well.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I hope Nate realizes its only about getting paid in Tenn. As they don't have a QB that can pass the ball. He certainly is not going to shine there.

I do wish him well, but rather he goes to a team with a qb. :hatsoff:

steelreserve
03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Whatever. It's not like he's the magic ingredient that's suddenly going to put them over the top. In fact, it seems more likely that Collins has an off year, their defense won't be as good as it was, their schedule is tougher and they have a few key injuries and miss the playoffs.

Dino 6 Rings
03-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Isn't that the same Tennessee team that just let their number 1 defensive player leave on the free agent market? The same team that has an aging "never was" QB running the offense and a Head Case as their backup? The same Tennessee team that wants to run the ball first and plays in the same division as the Colts?

Yeah, have fun counting your money, cause you aren't going to be counting Rings if you go to Tennessee.

iceman000123
03-01-2009, 05:14 PM

There are teams i Dislike... Teams I really don't care about, and teams I love or actually Team... and after seeing the TT disrespect the Terrible Towel They have dropped to the dislike category. I wish Nate the best of luck but I seriously hope he doesn't become a Titan this season

Steel_Bus_24
03-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I like Nate but I couldn't wish him well if he goes to those losers. I mean I hope he stays healthy and all but Tenn jumped back up into my most hated list after fat boy Whites antics. They're right there with the Pats,Ratbirds, Jags

BlastFurnace
03-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I wish we would have atleast talked to him. We don't know what we have with Sweed...although it might be good...we simply don't know.

IMO, after Holmes, there is a huge dropoff with our WR corps.

AllD
03-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Isn't that the same Tennessee team that just let their number 1 defensive player leave on the free agent market? The same team that has an aging "never was" QB running the offense and a Head Case as their backup? The same Tennessee team that wants to run the ball first and plays in the same division as the Colts?

Yeah, have fun counting your money, cause you aren't going to be counting Rings if you go to Tennessee.

This post pretty much covers the entire spectrum of logic of why you want to remain with a winner as long as you are fairly compensated- which Washington is for his skill set and inconsistant hands.

However, he lacks wisdom and doesn't realize what an emotional struggle it is going to be knowing that at best it's a longshot. He could do a lot worse and sell out completely by going to Detroit.

I worked for a poorly managed company for 18 years and saw it deteriorate even while I provided sound marketing and management advice. They just chose to do things differently and not pay attention to the competition or their clients. In the end they lost 75% of their annual revenues. I have been away from them for almost 4 years and understand what a waste of time it is to work with losers. You hate going to work and no amolunt of money compensates for it. Maybe if Washington can get Powerball money he can psych himself into showing up for a few games, but he will fade away into obscurity just like Thigpen who went to TN too.

slashsteel
03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I think if Nate goes the FO will find a WR either through the draft or free agency. This is I hear, a strong year for WRs in the draft.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Good for your team is that they seem to draft WRs consistently well-of course, this position is very hard to evaluate. Seems like alot of Pitt's WRs that go elsewhere end up having alot of success(i.e. Burress and Randle-El).if your calling randel el's time in washington ,"alot of success", then you've got the bar set pretty low for receivers. ya might wanna go look at his stats, then you'll see why the skin fans are so disappointed. most of em on thier board wanted to see him cut this year, but it woulda cost more to cut him, then to keep him to put it mildley...the skins just aren't getting the bang for thier buck.....:chuckle:

cubanstogie
03-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Receivers like Nate are a dime a dozen. Although he did contribute last year, he did nothing out of the ordinary. If he can get more dough elsewhere then good for him. Don't get me wrong I appreciate what he did for us last year but am not in the least worried about replacing him. Plaxico, Randle El, Porter, Fanceca all bolted for more cash and look what it got them. Plax did get one ring but thats it. Steelers find a way to win with who they got. Our O line was the epitome of that.

cubanstogie
03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
The Titans will be like the Jags of last year IMO. I think they shot their wad and won't return to the playoffs.

lilyoder6
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
nate the great to the titans....

i think evryone knew them winning so much and winning the division was basically a fluke...

the titans will fall back to there old spot as either 3rd or last in the division

Steelman16
03-01-2009, 08:57 PM
nate the great to the titans....

i think evryone knew them winning so much and winning the division was basically a fluke...

the titans will fall back to there old spot as either 3rd or last in the division

Which is interesting, considering their division. Is this the year Houston finally breaks through the top?

Fearless Vampire Killer
03-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Nate reminds me of Dwight Stone, fast as heck but.... too many drop opportunities.

I also wish him the best but I really want to see Limas Sweed develop into something special.

So best wishes to Sweed - Step UP !

SteelShooter
03-01-2009, 11:23 PM
If he goes, then he goes and it would show that he is only in it for the money. I never really saw a lot of heart in him. He, as someone stated earlier, had flashes of talent....and then the drops-ies set in.

If he decides to leave for money....then I will not miss him.

lilyoder6
03-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Which is interesting, considering their division. Is this the year Houston finally breaks through the top?

i think that this could be the yr the texans have there coming out party.. they got someone opposite of mario williams.. steve slaton will only get better, and of course andre johnson is amazing

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 11:53 PM

Houston was much better than their 8-8 record last year. Didn't they finish winning 8 out of their last 12? Wasn't one of their 0-4 losses a total meltdown in the last 2 minutes? Wasn't their starting QB hurt in the first month?

I still think Indy wins that division, but Houston should easily finish 2nd, especially with Tennessee and Jax having problems, problems, problems.

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Receivers like Nate are a dime a dozen. Although he did contribute last year, he did nothing out of the ordinary. If he can get more dough elsewhere then good for him. Don't get me wrong I appreciate what he did for us last year but am not in the least worried about replacing him. Plaxico, Randle El, Porter, Fanceca all bolted for more cash and look what it got them. Plax did get one ring but thats it. Steelers find a way to win with who they got. Our O line was the epitome of that.

If Plax comes back to the Giants this year AND keeps his head straight, the Giants should win the NFCE. His value to that offense is just tremendous.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Nate is a good fit in Tennesee. They need a guy that can get vertical and stretch the field. He can do that and hope for his sake he gets paid.

See ya Nate.

Steelers & I
03-02-2009, 02:12 AM
I don't know that Nate will be very successful as a #1 or #2 WR if the Titans do indeed use him in that role, I'm guessing that they will. Oh well, no big loss. We as fans have to expect to lose 4 or 5 players every off-season.

The Tiatns seem to like former-Steelers players. Just off the top of my head, Yancy Thigpen, Neil O'Donnell, Chris Hope. How many ex-Titans players do you suppose that the Steelers have signed? Without using the Google option, I can't think of any.

paw-n-maul-u
03-02-2009, 03:51 AM
I don't think Washington is worth the money he'll get elsewhere ... but at the same time, if an injury happens to Ward or Holmes ... that leaves us with only sweed and I assume Dallas Baker will jump back on the active roster.

With our FA signings and keeping the O-line in tact ... coupled with the potential of us losing mcfadden and washington ... i think WR and CB jump out on the list of high potential draft picks if the price isnt right for a D or O-line player at 32.

Rick5895
03-02-2009, 05:20 AM
Without Nate, Sweed will get loads of opportunities to play, hope he is ready for it. Remeber we still have heath who can go in the slot as well.

Galax Steeler
03-02-2009, 05:47 AM
If he goes, then he goes and it would show that he is only in it for the money. I never really saw a lot of heart in him. He, as someone stated earlier, had flashes of talent....and then the drops-ies set in.

If he decides to leave for money....then I will not miss him.

I don't know if he is in it for the money or not Pittsburgh has not made him an offer so the question is does Pittsburgh want him and will they make him an offer.

KeiselPower99
03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
i think that this could be the yr the texans have there coming out party.. they got someone opposite of mario williams.. steve slaton will only get better, and of course andre johnson is amazing

They have been 8-8 the last 2 seasons and I think that with Indy going through a coaching change and Jacksonville rebuilding itll be between Houston and Tennessee.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
i'd rather see pittsburgh let him go and then pick up ike hilliard cheap...he is a DEPENDABLE third down receiver with excellent hands.

lilyoder6
03-02-2009, 09:57 AM
They have been 8-8 the last 2 seasons and I think that with Indy going through a coaching change and Jacksonville rebuilding itll be between Houston and Tennessee.

even tho the colts are going thru coaching changes and what not.. u still have peyton manning as ur qb and a productive offense..

but i am hoping for the texans to be either 1st or 2nd

tony hipchest
03-02-2009, 11:05 AM
its reported that the bungles, ravens, and tampa bay are also showing interrest.

4xSBChamps
03-02-2009, 11:13 AM
i'd rather see pittsburgh let him go and then pick up ike hilliard cheap...he is a DEPENDABLE third down receiver with excellent hands.

+ tax..... every team in the League claims they want a guy who'll make the key catch on 3rd down, and the Yucs like this guy go.
:doh:

Steeldude
03-02-2009, 11:34 AM
As they don't have a QB that can pass the ball

i think collins is fine as a passer. he's not marino, but he is no kordell either. he did pretty well against the steelers #1 pass defense. as long as the titans keep young on the bench, they will be fine.

steelreserve
03-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Receivers like Nate are a dime a dozen.

You are correct, sir. There are probably 100 guys in the league who you could plug in to that spot without missing a beat. If someone starts offering him $4 million a year for that job, then fine, let them overpay him, and no hard feelings.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
03-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I Hope The Ravens Or Bengals or titans get him im ok wit the bucs tho!

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
03-02-2009, 01:06 PM
By the way i think its time to let sweedddd !!!!!shine and i kant wait to c wat mendenhall kan do he is my favorite steelers runningback

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
You are correct, sir. There are probably 100 guys in the league who you could plug in to that spot without missing a beat. If someone starts offering him $4 million a year for that job, then fine, let them overpay him, and no hard feelings.

This I don't exactly agree with. Washington is probably the best deep threat that we had and its widely regarded that he is the fastest guy on the team in the first 10 yards off the ball. The #3 guy in Pittsburgh is gonna get fewer footballs than the Steelers TE and Nate will be better somewhere else as a starter.

I think Washington has a similar skill set as Bernard Berrian, but he would always be the #3 guy here as long as Ward and Holmes are around.........so no need to overpay him.

ben2hines=6
03-02-2009, 01:26 PM
nate washington did more for this offense than some here realize. He stretched the field for us opening holes in the defense especially for hines to catch the 10yrd ball. If we lose him i dont think its a big deal but he will be missed

Vincent
03-02-2009, 02:04 PM
He stretched the field for us opening holes in the defense especially for hines to catch the 10yrd ball. If we lose him i dont think its a big deal but he will be missed

That's why they drafted Sweed. Now they need to familiarize him with the football so he doesn't go into shock when one is thrown to him. :doh:

BlastFurnace
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
That's why they drafted Sweed. Now they need to familiarize him with the football so he doesn't go into shock when one is thrown to him. :doh:

That's the problem with Sweed. So far, he can get open and he's fast, but we have no evidence that he can catch or play under pressure. Basically, right now he is the equivilant of Lee Mays. Atleast he has nowhere to go but up.

SC Steeler Steve
03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
I like Nate but I couldn't wish him well if he goes to those losers. I mean I hope he stays healthy and all but Tenn jumped back up into my most hated list after fat boy Whites antics. They're right there with the Pats,Ratbirds, Jags

Here Here, I second that!!!

SteelMember
03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
SWEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

I think we'll be drafting another WR in rounds 4-7. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
SWEEEEEEED! :chuckle:

I think we'll be drafting another WR in rounds 4-7. :noidea:

My hope is Quan Cosby from Texas in the 4th, but he only measured in at 5'9" 196 lbs at the combine, so I doubt we look at him. The upside is he has great hands, is a good route runner and ran a 4.44 -40 in the combine.

ShutDown24
03-02-2009, 03:28 PM
My feelings about this surprise me. I generally don't get upset over players leaving. I never miss them too much because I never really get attached to individual players; simply the team. I wasn't upset in the least when players such as Plaxico Burress, Joey Porter or Faneca left. But for some reason, I feel really attached to Nate and I really don't want to see him go. If he does leave, I'll definitely follow him and cheer him on wherever he is and I hope he proves those people who say he's nothing special wrong.

steelreserve
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
This I don't exactly agree with. Washington is probably the best deep threat that we had and its widely regarded that he is the fastest guy on the team in the first 10 yards off the ball. The #3 guy in Pittsburgh is gonna get fewer footballs than the Steelers TE and Nate will be better somewhere else as a starter.

I think Washington has a similar skill set as Bernard Berrian, but he would always be the #3 guy here as long as Ward and Holmes are around.........so no need to overpay him.

Well, he was the best deep threat out of the three, that's for sure. However, half the time our "deep threats" were Ben scrambling around like a guy chasing a bus, then just randomly chucking the ball as far as he could. Seemed like when he calmed down and started mixing in more short throws, we did a lot better.

I don't know whether that means Washington was being limited by our offense and his position as the No. 3 guy, or whether he's just not a superstar talent. Whichever one is the case, it looks obvious that he's not going to be a star if he stays here, which means it's not worth us paying him big $$$ to stay here. If he does better in someone else's system, then more power to him. Unless it's with the Patriots.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Holmes is a deep threat, so is Washington. Kind of tough to have 2 FL in the starting lineup and no SE to work the inside.

SWEEEEEEEEDDDD!