PDA

View Full Version : Past draft picks

Steeler in Carolina
03-01-2009, 06:50 PM
I love looking at past drafts and see how these "smart" GM's screw up so bad. Here are a couple of good examples:

2003 Drafted before Anquan Boldin are these fine WR's:
Charles Rogers, Bryant Johnson, Taylor Jacobs, and Bethel Johnson.

2001 Drafted before Reggie Wayne in the first round:
David Terrell, Koren Robinson, Rod Gardner, Santana Moss,and Freddie Mitchell

lilyoder6
03-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I love looking at past drafts and see how these "smart" GM's screw up so bad. Here are a couple of good examples:

johnson has been decent but no where near boldin... and on the reggie wayne ordeal.. i think that santana moss is even with wayne.. even tho the stats may not say so

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 10:43 PM

WR is one of the hardest, if not the hardest position to evaluate. People seem to forget that even they, like with QBs and RBs, have to learn how to read blitzes, and then run routes according to what they read from the D. Yes-they have to run proper and crisp routes, but learning to read D's takes time and experience as well.

As for Boldin-I wouldn't put him in the top tier...on talent and production alone, yes, but he IS injury prone.

As for Wayne-the Colts have proven time and time again they have one of the best FOs-remember once upon a time ago, everyone thought they would draft Ryan Leaf and Ricky Williams instead of Manning and James in those respective drafts. Otherwise, they would have continued to be the laughing stock of the league.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2009, 11:01 PM
1998 receivers drafted ahead of hines ward.....
rd 1
Kevin dyson
Randy Moss
Marcus Nash
rd2
Jerome Pathon - colts
Jacquez Green
Patrick Johnson
Joe Jurevicius
rd3
Brian Alford
E. G. Green - colts
Jammi German
Larry Shannon
Hines Ward - last player taken in the 3rd rd....was the steelers 2nd 3rd rd pick

i guess 1 outta 3 ain't bad.....

devilsdancefloor
03-01-2009, 11:10 PM
rd 1
Kevin dyson
Randy Moss
Marcus Nash
rd2
Jerome Pathon
Jacquez Green
Patrick Johnson
Joe Jurevicius
rd3
Brian Alford
E. G. Green
Jammi German
Larry Shannon
Hines Ward - last player taken in the 3rd rd....was the steelers 2nd 3rd rd pick

if i remember right his stock fell because they found out he didnt have a ACL But i am glad it did!

Steelman16
03-01-2009, 11:36 PM
rd 1
Kevin dyson
Randy Moss
Marcus Nash
rd2
Jerome Pathon
Jacquez Green
Patrick Johnson
Joe Jurevicius
rd3
Brian Alford
E. G. Green
Jammi German
Larry Shannon

And out of those, only Randy Moss has a career anything like Ward. Dyson had his short stint, but he didn't last long. Jurevicius...well, if you end up with the Browns at the end of your career...it doesn't bode well.

Man, Hines Ward was a beautiful catch in round three. :tt03:

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 11:49 PM
And out of those, only Randy Moss has a career anything like Ward. Dyson had his short stint, but he didn't last long. Jurevicius...well, if you end up with the Browns at the end of your career...it doesn't bode well.

Man, Hines Ward was a beautiful catch in round three. :tt03:

FYI-you should have seen Mike Ditka's drafts with the Saints from 97-98...I mean he botched ALMOST EVERY single round, and just about every single round in these 2 years produced at least a few impact players, some of whom are still playing.

No-not trying to imply that Ditka botched the Saints' chances to become a dynasty, but OTOH, when you look back and reflect, he really had a golden opportunity to build a very competitive team for years to come.

KeiselPower99
03-02-2009, 12:55 AM
It aint so much the guy cant play but the team he goes to.

MasterOfPuppets
03-02-2009, 01:21 AM
FYI-you should have seen Mike Ditka's drafts with the Saints from 97-98...I mean he botched ALMOST EVERY single round, and just about every single round in these 2 years produced at least a few impact players, some of whom are still playing.

No-not trying to imply that Ditka botched the Saints' chances to become a dynasty, but OTOH, when you look back and reflect, he really had a golden opportunity to build a very competitive team for years to come.
Rnd Name College Note
1 Ricky Williams Texas

Rnd Name College Note
1 Kyle Turley San Diego State
2 Cameron Cleeland Washington
4 Fred Weary Florida
4 Julian Pittman Florida State
5 Wilmont Perry Livingstone College
6 Chris Bordano Southern Methodist
7 Andy McCullough Tennessee
7 Ron Warner Kansas

Rnd Name College Note
1 Chris Naeole Colorado
2 Rob Kelly Ohio State
2 Jared Tomich Nebraska
3 Troy Davis Iowa State
4 Danny Wuerffel Florida
4 Keith Poole Arizona State
6 Nicky Savoie Louisiana State

BrandonCarr39
03-02-2009, 01:41 AM
Rnd Name College Note
1 Ricky Williams Texas

Rnd Name College Note
4 Fred Weary Florida
7 Ron Warner Kansas

Rnd Name College Note
1 Chris Naeole Colorado
2 Rob Kelly Ohio State
2 Jared Tomich Nebraska
3 Troy Davis Iowa State
4 Danny Wuerffel Florida

Was re-reading my post again...just to clarify on a pt I wasn't clear about-the 1997 draft, in particular, produced alot of impact players(i.e. Corey Dillon in the 2nd among many) in this league, some of whom are still playing at a high level.

I know you can't 2nd guess what any of these FOs do, but it was clear the game had passed Ditka by.

BTW-the Redskins had a golden opportunity to build a dynasty with all those draft picks the Saints gave them for Ricky Williams on a silver platter, but somehow, Snyder blew it.

MasterOfPuppets
03-02-2009, 02:08 AM
Was re-reading my post again...just to clarify on a pt I wasn't clear about-the 1997 draft, in particular, produced alot of impact players(i.e. Corey Dillon in the 2nd among many) in this league, some of whom are still playing at a high level.

I know you can't 2nd guess what any of these FOs do, but it was clear the game had passed Ditka by.

BTW-the Redskins had a golden opportunity to build a dynasty with all those draft picks the Saints gave them for Ricky Williams on a silver platter, but somehow, Snyder blew it.
i think ditkas's ricky williams deal was the dumbest move EVER in nfl history. even if williams would've turned out to be a good consistent back for 12 years for the ain'ts , i'd still call it the dumbest move EVER.

revefsreleets
03-02-2009, 09:52 AM
The WORST way to pick a WR in the NFL is by combine numbers. Jerry Rice was slow, but does anyone now doubt his game speed?

YPC is a decent indicator, but still shows nothing about ability to seperate. That can be a combination of speed, size, physicality, good route running, etc, etc...it helps if you find a WR who plays against top CB competition every week, but makes selecting guys from smaller conferences REALLY dicey.

St33lersguy
03-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Rnd Name College Note
1 Ricky Williams Texas

Rnd Name College Note
4 Fred Weary Florida
7 Ron Warner Kansas

Rnd Name College Note
1 Chris Naeole Colorado
2 Rob Kelly Ohio State
2 Jared Tomich Nebraska
3 Troy Davis Iowa State
4 Danny Wuerffel Florida

it's a shame that Ditka blew the chance to draft so many stars for this 3 year run of crap. The only people on that list to create any noise in the NFL was Kyle Turley and his temper tantrums and Ricky Williams for being a pot smoking recitivist

BrandonCarr39
03-02-2009, 08:44 PM
it's a shame that Ditka blew the chance to draft so many stars for this 3 year run of crap. The only people on that list to create any noise in the NFL was Kyle Turley and his temper tantrums and Ricky Williams for being a pot smoking recitivist

His coaching staff was a monstrous joke too-his OC largely had HIGH SCHOOL(literally) experience(Danny Abramowitz-he spent most of his career coaching at one of the local high schools in the city), and his DC came from some country where their national pastime is cricket.

Godfather
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
It aint so much the guy cant play but the team he goes to.

That's a good point. Maybe some of the major busts like Charles Rogers would be stars if they'd been picked by Indy or New England. And maybe Peyton would have been a bust (or more likely a Vinny Testaverde/Jeff George) if he'd gone to Arizona.