PDA

View Full Version : Ratbirds interested in Marvel

devilsdancefloor
03-01-2009, 11:44 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.ravens01mar01,0,7168957.story?page=2

Note:
The Ravens continued talks with free-agent offensive tackle Marvel Smith, 30, the Pittsburgh Steelers' starting left tackle for nine seasons. If the Ravens sign Smith, it could lead to the release of Willie Anderson, which would free up $2.9million of salarycap space. ... Jason Brown, the Ravens' starting center last season, officially signed his five-year, $37.5million contract with St.Louis. "To tell you the truth, I was hoping to stay at home with the Ravens," Brown said at his Rams news conference. "Many players would like to stay with the team that drafted them and would like to finish their careers there. ... Unfortunately, there's a separation between business and the personal side of football, and they had to make a business decision."

thbis is nto the whole article is is mostly about ray ray.

BrandonCarr39
03-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Wow-the Ravens are really getting hit hard in FA.

If there's anything good for them in '09, is that at least they finally have a QB for the long term.

Galax Steeler
03-02-2009, 06:01 AM
Let them have him.:wave:

lilyoder6
03-02-2009, 09:03 AM
let the ravens have the lt who has back problems.. then we know where 2 atk when we play the ravens

kmsteelerwr15
03-02-2009, 09:06 AM
haha if they want him let them have him. damn can you see it James Harrison vs. Marvel Smith, i LOVE that match-up

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
haha if they want him let them have him. damn can you see it James Harrison vs. Marvel Smith, i LOVE that match-up

James Harrison gets handled pretty well by Jared Gathier. They will not move Gathier from LT. The idea would be to start Smith at RT, so it would be Woodley vs. Smith a couple times a year.

kmsteelerwr15
03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
James Harrison gets handled pretty well by Jared Gathier. They will not move Gathier from LT. The idea would be to start Smith at RT, so it would be Woodley vs. Smith a couple times a year.

haha true, but thats not a bad match-up either :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
03-02-2009, 09:59 AM
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the MAJOR reason the Steelers let Smith go is his injury. So the Rats are foolish to chase this deal...

But that's a good thing, IMO. 8-8 Rats next year...

The Duke
03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
First willie anderson now marvel

maybe the rats can make it work....

I doubt it though, this back problems only seem fine by smith's own standards. if not the steelers would have at least attempted to resign him

BrandonCarr39
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
First willie anderson now marvel

maybe the rats can make it work....

I doubt it though, this back problems only seem fine by smith's own standards. if not the steelers would have at least attempted to resign him

For some reason-back problems just never go away. That's exactly what short-circuited Charles Barkley's and Larry Bird's careers.

fansince'76
03-02-2009, 11:08 AM
For some reason-back problems just never go away. That's exactly what short-circuited Charles Barkley's and Larry Bird's careers.

Yep. Bird's was so bad that he needed surgery to have a couple of vertebrae fused together - of course, once that operation took place, he could never play again professionally afterwards. Marvel is damaged goods at this point, unfortunately.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I wouldnt count him out just yet. All he had was a discectomy which is removal of a disc and from what I understand it was pinching on a nerve.

What '76 is describing with Bird (Posterior lumbar intervertebral fusion) is more invasive that clipping out some pieces of a disc. Its like ACL repair vs. scoping a knee to clean it out.