PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich still out there

joeyssteelcurtain
03-02-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm somewhat surprised someone hasn't jumped on Pittsburgh's Byron Leftwich yet. I know the former Jaguars first-round pick is looking for an opportunity to compete for a starting opportunity, and those are few and far between in the league at the moment. But I thought Leftwich really played well for the Steelers when he had to last season and would have some early suitors in this market. I was looking at teams like the Jets, Bucs and maybe Lions to come after him. From what I understand, Leftwich was expecting some first-weekend interest as well.

fansince'76
03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I've been surprised by this too. However, if teams continue to ignore Byron, it's cool with me. I'd love for the Steelers to be able to keep him. :thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
03-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Two Steelers that I thought would be picked up quickly with deals the Steelers wouldn't / couldn't match were Leftwich and BMAC.

BMAC must be asking for the moon or teams are scared he is one of our system guys.

Leftwich, I thought, would have been scooped up by Chicago, Minnesota, Kansas City (before the Cassel trade), TB, and others.

Who knows, perhaps the lack of offers to each of them has the Steelers ear's perked up.

HometownGal
03-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm shocked that he's still on the board, but quite happy about it! :hope:

Preacher
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm shocked that he's still on the board, but quite happy about it! :hope:

Absolutely. BRING HIM BACK.

And if B-mac is still swinging in the wind, then bring him back for a good price too.

Phoenixus
03-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree,

I cannot understand why this guy is being overlooked. He never sucked when he was on the Jags, and he's played pretty well here too.

There's literally nothing wrong with this guy, but I was talking to a friend about the possibillity of Minnesota picking him up and his first reaction was "no way he's got no abillity to run".

I was like... What?

Like it's doing anything for Tarvaris???

The guy can run but he can't complete a pass to save his life. Leftwich is at least a real quarterback. Tarvaris is just a pretender.

steelreserve
03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Two Steelers that I thought would be picked up quickly with deals the Steelers wouldn't / couldn't match were Leftwich and BMAC.

BMAC must be asking for the moon or teams are scared he is one of our system guys.

I wonder if this is because so much "stupid money" is off the table now that the Redskins and Raiders have completed their annual binges, and no one's left that's willing to pay $8 million a year for a cornerback.

Leftwich I would've expected to be gone regardless; even if he gets a couple million and a chance to start, it's a huge improvement for him in both areas.

tucker6
03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I wonder if this is because so much "stupid money" is off the table now that the Redskins and Raiders have completed their annual binges, and no one's left that's willing to pay $8 million a year for a cornerback.

Leftwich I would've expected to be gone regardless; even if he gets a couple million and a chance to start, it's a huge improvement for him in both areas.
Does Byron want the "chance" or is he insisting that he be the starter? Maybe it's not about the money, but the opportunity that is leaving him on the board. If he feels he won't be the starter, why leave the Steelers? He has a great job here as he waits for the job where he IS the starter. Just sayin'.

4xSBChamps
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
..... Leftwich, I thought, would have been scooped up by Chicago, Minnesota, Kansas City (before the Cassel trade), TB, and others.....

..... deep behind enemy-lines, in central Floriduh.....

..... the Pewter Pirates Forums are distraught that they Bucs didn't pick-up Cutler, and wanna throw the new GM & Head Coach into the Bay before they hold their first practice.....
:blah:

no-word on interest in Leftwich down-here (yet), so it's all-quiet on the Southern-front.....

:helmet:

Texasteel
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I would love having Leftwich back, but still don't think it's going to happen.

Hope I'm wrong.

T&B fan
03-02-2009, 05:26 PM
heard on the radio I think it was huston that is going to pay a backup QB 3 mil a yr .. sorry about no link just the radio dan patrick show .
and as for lefty hell lets keep him but not at that kind of $$ .

steelreserve
03-02-2009, 05:38 PM
heard on the radio I think it was huston that is going to pay a backup QB 3 mil a yr .. sorry about no link just the radio dan patrick show .
and as for lefty hell lets keep him but not at that kind of $$ .

I don't think we have to worry about outbidding other teams for his services as a backup as long as we give him some kind of a raise. It's more like, if any other team promises him a starting job, that probably beats us hands-down.

Besides, we could always just give him the million or two we were paying Batch. Though now that we made the huge cap mistakes with Starks, Kemo and Simmons, we'll probably need every penny of that elsewhere. It would be a shame if Leftwich was the first casualty of those bloated contracts, but I doubt he'd be the last.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-02-2009, 06:02 PM
byron is nothing more than a backup...his throwing motion is like that of paul byrd's, so no one really wants him. i, for one, am not surprised he's still unsigned as most teams probably see him as nothing more than a backup as well.

i hope he comes back and believe he will once he find there's no interest in him. he appears to be a good locker room guy and i'm hopeful that we go to camp with ben, byron, and dixon as our qb's...

SteelCityKing
03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
byron is nothing more than a backup...his throwing motion is like that of paul byrd's, so no one really wants him. i, for one, am not surprised he's still unsigned as most teams probably see him as nothing more than a backup as well.

i hope he comes back and believe he will once he find there's no interest in him. he appears to be a good locker room guy and i'm hopeful that we go to camp with ben, byron, and dixon as our qb's...

i don't mind Leftwich. i never did. so, i hope he stays. he's a good back up, but like you said, that's all he'll ever be. if he has to go...i hope he can run free on a farm with all of the other back up qbs...they can be safe and loved, and most of all...taken care of. =)

KeiselPower99
03-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Byron will be either a Jet or be back here. Im hoping for the latter.

The Duke
03-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Byron will be either a Jet or be back here. Im hoping for the latter.

he SHOULD be a jet

I mean common, kellen clemens? if a GM believes this guy is a franchise QB he should be fired

lefty will find a job a some point. look how long it took him last year

devilsdancefloor
03-02-2009, 07:22 PM
im shocked bmac is stil out there! im hoping lefty gets over looked and he stays!

CPanther95
03-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Great backup, but he runs like Herman Munster.

rich4eagle
03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Steelers should resign Leftwich............great backup to Ben

KeiselPower99
03-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Great backup, but he runs like Herman Munster.

Herman Munster should kick a football.

Phoenixus
03-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I cannot believe how many boneheads there are in the NFL.

What kind of idiot takes a running quarterback as opposed to a throwing one?

Running quarterbacks are worthless in the grand scheme of things. Kordell showed that pretty well.

You want a quarterback, you need one thats more interested in throwing and learning how to read a defense.

That's Leftwich.

Steelman16
03-03-2009, 01:17 AM
I cannot believe how many boneheads there are in the NFL.

What kind of idiot takes a running quarterback as opposed to a throwing one?

Running quarterbacks are worthless in the grand scheme of things. Kordell showed that pretty well.

You want a quarterback, you need one thats more interested in throwing and learning how to read a defense.

That's Leftwich.

Besides, Lefty can run if he wants. You just might have to shut your eyes though, cuz it ain't pretty. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
03-03-2009, 04:37 AM
Hang in there Leftwich and hopefully you will return to the steelers.

tucker6
03-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Herman Munster should kick a football.
Not sure about kicking a football, but I do recall him batting a ball a country mile once. Yeah, I know. I'm showing my age. :doh:

lilyoder6
03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
when lefty runs,... he has 2 left feet.. it rly hurts 2 watch him run...

what happens w/ lefty will affect batch... i think thats y the steelers are waiting to decide on batch, if they do want 2 re-sign him they will wait til lefty signs.. b/c there is still the poss of lefty returning and u don't want 4 qb's on the roster

KeiselPower99
03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Not sure about kicking a football, but I do recall him batting a ball a country mile once. Yeah, I know. I'm showing my age. :doh:

In one episode he was helping Eddie kick Field Goals and kicked one and it hit the L.A. Rams Gm 2 miles away. Damn I love that show.

KeiselPower99
03-03-2009, 09:44 AM
when lefty runs,... he has 2 left feet.. it rly hurts 2 watch him run...

what happens w/ lefty will affect batch... i think thats y the steelers are waiting to decide on batch, if they do want 2 re-sign him they will wait til lefty signs.. b/c there is still the poss of lefty returning and u don't want 4 qb's on the roster

Ask Cleveland about Byron running. I would like to know if he is getting any looks though. If not Id give him a 2 yr 6 million deal without thinking twice.

iceman000123
03-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Besides, Lefty can run if he wants. You just might have to shut your eyes though, cuz it ain't pretty. :chuckle:

Boy you ain't kidding . He can throw and I'm comfortable with him backing up Big Ben. Hopefully we will keep him. If trades like Cassel and Vrabel keep happening

T&B fan
03-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Ask Cleveland about Byron running. I would like to know if he is getting any looks though. If not Id give him a 2 yr 6 million deal without thinking twice.

no way ....I like lefty and hope he stays with us but in no way for that kind of cash I say lock him up for 4yrs at 1.3 or 1.5 tops

AllD
03-03-2009, 05:10 PM
no way ....I like lefty and hope he stays with us but in no way for that kind of cash I say lock him up for 4yrs at 1.3 or 1.5 tops

A 4 year contract would be Christmas for us. At best a 2 year for $5m.

WeegiesWarriors
03-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Batch use to hand off to Barry Sanders. That seems like a lifetime ago.

Backup QBs with game experience like Batch and Lefty are not an easily found commodity. Steelers need to hold on to one or the other. God forbid if Dixon is called upon.

Iron Gut
03-03-2009, 06:32 PM
I would expect Lefty to be available until after the draft. Teams will know where they stand at that point and some will be looking for a QB to "compete" for the starting job. Frankly, I wouldn't be at all suprised if Lefty doesn't get a gig until June timeframe. Most likley as a backup with potential to "compete".

As for the Steelers, Lefty is better than Batch at this point. Especially since we have no idea what Batch's physical status is after his injury last season. That said, I wouldn't whine at all if they give Charlie another year or two at vet minimum.