PDA

View Full Version : Nate is now a Titan

BlastFurnace
03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=66496

tucker6
03-02-2009, 04:27 PM
meh. I liked Nate, but at the same time, I'm not grief stricken either. Third WR's are available in the market place and in the draft. Good luck Nate.

NEPAsteeler
Whyyy the Titans, Nate? Why?! Well.. best of luck.

TailgateMel
next!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Good for Nate. Steve Wyche on NFL.com called that a couple weeks ago as a good fit.

My guess was 4 years-$15million contract with $6mil up front. Can see if I was high or low on the WR market.

Dino 6 Rings
03-02-2009, 04:29 PM
good, now he can drop balls on 3rd down for them instead of us.

He's got good hands on 1st down, not so much when it really counts.

Later Nate! Look forward to knocking your teeth down your throat when we play you next year in our Towell Revenge Game.

T&B fan
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
good luck getting another ring :tt02:

steelreserve
03-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Third WR's are available in the market place and in the draft.

Not to mention sitting on our own bench already. We shouldn't even miss a beat because of this.

Texasteel
03-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I like Washington and all, but remember this time last year some of us were wondering if he would ever actually catch the ball.

Good luck Nate. Just a word, look out for Troy after you catch the ball.

SteelCityKing
03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
enjoy the ride Nate. =)

just like i enjoyed your time with our team.

renatus
03-02-2009, 04:44 PM
I liked him also but i dont see him getting better than he is now...

no more than a 2nd WR capable of a couple big plays and a couple of "how did he drop that one" plays. having said that, Sweed will have to show a lot more to even be at Nate´s level next year!

4xSBChamps
03-02-2009, 04:56 PM
..... Sweed will have to show a lot more to even be at Nate´s level next year!

"..... and now you know.....

http://media.wktv.com/images/Paul%20Harvey.jpg

the REST of the story....."

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-02-2009, 04:56 PM
good riddance...he won't be missed and probably just got overpaid.

touchdownward
03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
The Steelers are known for replacing parts to the system. I look for Sweed to step up into that role.

stillers4me
03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Good luck, Nate.

HometownGal
03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Ughhh. All we can do at this point is to wish him all the best. :drink:

Edman
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Welp, Nate is a Tennesee Titty. That means the Steelers will be playing him next season.

Steel_Bus_24
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM

I mean I don't wish any injuries on him or anything....and Im thankful for what he did for us as well....but he makes it hard for me to look at him the same way after joining that classless bunch. I really want us to kick the living crap out of every single one their players in our rematch.

I cannot deny my already surging feelings for him to get laid out when we play them this season(again no injuries)..........just a little reminder about what he left.:helmet:

BlastFurnace
03-02-2009, 05:20 PM
good riddance...he won't be missed and probably just got overpaid.

You're completely wrong on this. The 3rd receiver plays a big role in our offense and Nate did this quite well. He will be missed.

Watch the 2nd Baltimore game again where he had Ed Reed all twisted around. Watch the Dallas game again. There are plenty of examples where he stood out.

mesaSteeler
03-02-2009, 05:31 PM

I agree. I can't fault Nate for going for the money at this point.

Let the Sweed era begin.

Perhaps this will give Limas more motivation in learning how to hang on to the ball and not to fake injuries.

JEFF4i
03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm going to laugh is Ward puts a hit on him. Nothing against Nate, it'd just be funny.

jjpro11
03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
no hard feelings here.. he was part of two super bowl winning teams for the steelers. any player that helped us win a super bowl is ok in my book.

i dont think we even offered him a contract, so he did what he had to do and what any of us would have done. good luck to nate.

SteelMember
03-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I feel the need...the need for Sweeeeeeed!

tucker6
03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I feel the need...the need for Sweeeeeeed!
I feel the need for Sweed to pick up his game.

KeiselPower99
03-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I hope when we play them next year he remembers to watch for #'s 25 and 43.

SteelMember
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I feel the need for Sweed to pick up his game.

:huh: Yes. yes he does. :doh:

He needs to be Sweeeeeeedtastic! :chuckle:

kingkulsteel
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
farewell nate and good luck. Kerry collins can't throw deep and vince young can't throw accurately

Fire Haley
03-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Titans | Washington contract details
Mon, 02 Mar 2009 15:52:42 -0800

Updating a previous report, John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Tennessee Titans have signed unrestricted free-agent WR Nate Washington (Steelers) to a a six-year deal worth $27 million. The contract includes $9 million in guarantees.

devilsdancefloor
03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm going to laugh is Ward puts a hit on him. Nothing against Nate, it'd just be funny.

Did i miss a story that hines was gonna play DB next year?:noidea:

good luck nate!

tony hipchest
03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
great deal for nate and i think it will prove to be a good deal for the titans.

i still think if he went to a team with a john elway type qb and he was thrust into the #1 wr role he could turn into the next rod smith.

i bet he has 65-70 rec/ 1100-1200 yds/ 9-12 td next year.

solid investment.

(that spells fantasy sleeper for all you geeks out there).

fansince'76
03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Best of luck to Nate. :drink:

The Duke
03-02-2009, 06:41 PM
great deal for nate and i think it will prove to be a good deal for the titans.

i still think if he went to a team with a john elway type qb and he was thrust into the #1 wr role he could turn into the next rod smith.

i bet he has 65-70 rec/ 1100-1200 yds/ 9-12 td next year.

solid investment.

(that spells fantasy sleeper for all you geeks out there).

Had he gone to the lions yeah. but with the titans I'd lower those numbers a bit, they are still a run first offense

but still, he'll do pretty good. at many points last season we were saying nate was outplaying holmes. of course that changed during the playoffs :wink02:

good luck nate

CPanther95
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Got a great contract from a contender - hard to blame him for anything.

Good luck to him, and I hope he does well - just not against us.

Preacher
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Best of luck to Nate...

I think Kerry Collins is a decent QB. I would take him over ANY Steeler QB in the intervening years between Bradshaw and BR.

SC Steeler Steve
03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for being a Steeler Nate... Good luck.
And thanks for the first down on the SB winning drive...

Vincent
03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
but still, he'll do pretty good. at many points last season we were saying nate was outplaying holmes. of course that changed during the playoffs :wink02:

Had Holmes not stepped up in the playoffs, I'd be concerned here. While I like Nate, he is unreliable to this point. he drops way to much stuff he should catch, and yet makes an occasional stellar grab.

Glad he isn't in our division. Wish him well except when we play the Tuxedos.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sweed in Nate's role next year.

joeyssteelcurtain
03-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Yea he was a good deep threat but sweed will have to step it up

Hapa
03-02-2009, 07:05 PM
bb Nateboy.
Your welcome for the rings.

JEFF4i
03-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Did i miss a story that hines was gonna play DB next year?:noidea:

good luck nate!

Kind of a joke, obviously a little off base. Yes, I know they both are offensive players. I was making the very subtle jest that the Titans are too stupid to know where to put Nate.

:noidea:

M1JAM
03-02-2009, 07:15 PM
May God help Limas Sweed

In 2006 we lost our # 3 receiver because Washington wanted to pay Randel El as if he was a #2. Now we lose our #3 Nate, because the Titans want to pay him as a #2.
The Steelers are smart-- why pay more when all we need to buy is a #3. Thats probably all lSweed is worth anyway. If he proves to be better than a #3, so much the better.

BlastFurnace
03-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Nate got $27 Million over 6 Years with $9 Million Guaranteed.

www.rotoworld.com

That's more than I ever imagined him getting. Good grief...what are we going to have to pay to extend Miller, Holmes, and Ward?

No matter how you slice it, I don't blame Nate one bit for taking this deal.

steelpride12
Good Riddance Nate, Def. was a fan of him and I like him as a deep threat this season when he held onto the puck.
Good for him moving on making the money he wants, and i hope for the best.
Looks like our WR set is:
1. Ward
2.Holmes
3.Sweed
4.? Draft or FA

scsteeler
I like Nate and wish him the best. I can't understand the hate on a guy that wants to be a starter and maybe get more money. How many of you would turn down a higher paying job? I think he probably wanted to stay with the Steelers but just like owners make decisions on what is best for the team, I think players do what they think is best for them.

steelpride12
03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah, that and....did we even make him an offer?

He was not worth the money he wanted, and our main concern is the talk of Harrison's contract at this point.

tony hipchest
03-02-2009, 08:42 PM
nate had 3 td's this year. they all came in consecutive weeks. they all were 48+ yd bombs. he had a 4th bomb called back vs. the giants (a game where he started for santonio and shoulda had a career game).

the potential is definitely there. i hope hines takes into consideration that he was kept and nate let go when it comes time to restructure or extend the final year of his $8.75 mil. contract.

Yeah, that and....did we even make him an offer? i think it was a "why waste our breath" situation.

Preacher
03-02-2009, 08:50 PM
nate had 3 td's this year. they all came in consecutive weeks. they all were 48+ yd bombs. he had a 4th bomb called back vs. the giants (a game where he started for santonio and shoulda had a career game).

the potential is definitely there. i hope hines takes into consideration that he was kept and nate let go when it comes time to restructure or extend the final year of his $8.75 mil. contract.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner!'

Loyalty deserves loyalty. Ward staying showed loyalty, especially with his LARGE salary cap number this year.

WWIIOwheelz
03-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I wish Nate the absolute best.

Never before has a player so confounded me about the probability of him catching the ball. He would drop balls a high school starter would catch 8 out of 10 times, but then he'd catch one he had no business at all coming down with.

He caught some big ones this year, that's for sure.

LVSteelersfan
03-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Nate's sense of worth was too much considering all of the major players on this team that we need to get signed. He was definitely expendable. I hate players who drop every third or fourth pass and that is the kind of player he was for us. Sweed will at worst be the same as Nate as reliability but hopefully better.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I understated Nate a bit. I thought he would get around $4million a season......but he got $4.5million.

Good for him. Time to move on.

SteelShooter
03-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Dime a dozen..........

tyler289
03-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Good luck to Nate.

Keep your head up when coming near Ryan Clark.

paw-n-maul-u
03-02-2009, 10:50 PM
It's a shame to see nate go only because he CAN fill that #2 role. And has done well at times when asked to do so. Sure he got overpayed, but one injury to Ward or Holmes and we are looking at Sweed in the lineup with Dallas Baker coming off the bench (I assume anyways).

lets roll the dice and see what happens. The rooneys built this house and the house always wins. I have faith.

If there is no value at all for OT or DL ... or CB ... y not take someone like Heyward Bay or Harvin if they drop?

Do you know the kind of space that percy harvin would open up ... He automatically changes the defensive scheme because a corner has to be on the field at all times to cover him.

If the draft goes something like last year, and the steelers have no viable options that make any sense value wise. Why not take percy harvin and have a game plan for him? Or Darius heyward bay? or Hakeem Nicks ... a guy with great size and impecable character.

For some reason I just keep smelling CB or WR early this draft

tyler289
03-02-2009, 10:51 PM
I we take Heyward-Bey I will crap myself. Seriously.

Guy is a stud, I have watched him at Maryland. He and Holmes starting in 2 years would be one of the best duos in the league.

I just can't see us doing that, though. Maybe in the 3rd or 4th.

tyler289
03-02-2009, 10:59 PM
double post

Phoenixus
03-02-2009, 11:23 PM
“We were concerned about him as an opponent, and we’re glad now to have him running down the field and catching passes for us,” Fisher said.

Translation: We had to arrange our defense to account for him or he'd burn us. Glad he's on our side now.

I still am not sure he is a #1 Receiver, but I do believe he's going to find success in this league. And with more playing time, He may very well turn into something pretty good.

Playing time is something he's never going to see on the Steelers with Ward and Holms in the way.

MaidenIndiana
03-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Hey he got more money than the Steelers were ever going to give him so I don't begrudge him. He helped us get two rings so I say thanks and best of luck. However if Sweed doesn't step it up next year, the people on this board saying that Nate dropped too many balls will be the same one's wishing he was still on the team

Steelman16
03-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Take care, Nate. Watch out for Ryan or Troy.

Steel_12
03-03-2009, 12:47 AM
I don't see how people can say good riddance when Sweed is trash! Nate showed promise in Tomlin's first season and got better last season. Sweed hasn't shown anything besides the FACT that he can't catch!

Preacher
03-03-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't see how people can say good riddance when Sweed is trash! Nate showed promise in Tomlin's first season and got better last season. Sweed hasn't shown anything besides the FACT that he can't catch!

:rolleyes:

Much like Troy was a bust after his first year, Holmes was a fumbling machine his first year, and Timmons was a bust his first year right?

Or do you expect Sweed to be able to catch like Jerry Rice his first year? Oh wait...

In 1985, breaking in as an NFL rookie, Rice admitted he was scared and dropped the ball more than usual. "I was thinking through every step of a complicated offense," he said, "instead of using natural reactions."

No, I am not saying he si the next Rice. I AM saying that MANY receivers look pretty dang bad their first year. Mainly it is because they probably relied so much on talent in college, and now they have to adjust because everyone else has the talent and speed too.

So they have to adjust the game speed, and then work on the skills to go with the talent.

It is VERY PREMATURE to call him a bust.

The Duke
03-03-2009, 01:17 AM

yeah, he's trash after just his 1st season :rolleyes:

he was a ROOKIE!!

nate had trouble holding onto passes at first too, and still does at times, yet he developed into a very good #3 receiver and possibly #1 now

Give him time. If for some reason he can't beat out baker or any other rookie they bring in this season then call sweed trash

though I still think they should bring a veteran receiver in FA

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-03-2009, 01:38 AM
I wonder what kind of production they're asking of him. I don't think Washington is good enough to go up against any of the Top 15 CBs in the league for the deep ball, and he doesn't have the hands to dink and dunk. I really liked that Nate stepped up for us this year, and wish him nothing but the best (something like Nate gets 1 TD, 5 catches, 70 yards a game and the Titans lose 7-38).

Steel_12
03-03-2009, 01:39 AM
:rolleyes:

Much like Troy was a bust after his first year, Holmes was a fumbling machine his first year, and Timmons was a bust his first year right?

Or do you expect Sweed to be able to catch like Jerry Rice his first year? Oh wait...

No, I am not saying he si the next Rice. I AM saying that MANY receivers look pretty dang bad their first year. Mainly it is because they probably relied so much on talent in college, and now they have to adjust because everyone else has the talent and speed too.

So they have to adjust the game speed, and then work on the skills to go with the talent.

It is VERY PREMATURE to call him a bust.

I expect him to catch passes when he is wide open! I can't call him a bust because he hasn't been in the league long but I can call him trash because that's what he is now. Rice was trash his first year from what you posted. I call it like I see it. I can't tell the future and didn't try to either.

Steel_12
03-03-2009, 01:43 AM
yeah, he's trash after just his 1st season :rolleyes:

he was a ROOKIE!!

nate had trouble holding onto passes at first too, and still does at times, yet he developed into a very good #3 receiver and possibly #1 now

Give him time. If for some reason he can't beat out baker or any other rookie they bring in this season then call sweed trash

though I still think they should bring a veteran receiver in FA

Maybe in his sophomore season he won't be trash but RIGHT NOW, he is trash. I agree we need a vet in to compete.

Benzzo
03-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Holla back Nate. Good luck... but not too good

Galax Steeler
03-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Nate showed flashes of being a good reciever last year,but nothing you could depend on. All I can say is good luck with the Titans.

Rick5895
03-03-2009, 04:42 AM
Sweed is learning from one of the best in Ward. He will do a very good job this season as a #3.
It's good to see a receiver from a very little college do well, way to go Nate, good luck!!

Benzbrother
03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Shit.....I guess we all knew it was coming though. Its aiight, I have faith that Sweed will develop into a great young star just like the rest of the players that come through our system. Only time will tell....

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Who's going to be throwing the ball to Nate again? Who's the #1 and #2 receivers on that team that will allow Nate to be in one on one coverage on the early downs?

Yeah...Good Luck with that Nate. I suggest Stickum and a second chin strap when you play the Steelers next year.

stlrtruck
03-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Who's going to be throwing the ball to Nate again? Who's the #1 and #2 receivers on that team that will allow Nate to be in one on one coverage on the early downs?

Yeah...Good Luck with that Nate. I suggest Stickum and a second chin strap when you play the Steelers next year.

I'm sure Nate will be reminded of players like Wes Welker and Willis McGahee who got the wrath of Ryan Clark!!

I'm sure there will be plenty of :hug: before and after the game but between the lines - Nate you are about to find out what it means to actually play against the most vicious defense in the league!

I can't say Good Luck (sorry HTG) because you went to a team that disrespected the towel, the legend of Cope, and you in turn become guilty by association now!

4xSBChamps
03-03-2009, 07:43 AM
..... you went to a team that disrespected the towel, the legend of Cope, and you in turn become guilty by association now!

"..... did we just give-up.....

http://pro.corbis.com/images/U1933748B.jpg?size=67&uid=%7B8EBB1F8C-62BA-4906-ACCF-530D68AA0A00%7D

when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

stlrtruck
03-03-2009, 08:14 AM
"..... did we just give-up.....

http://pro.corbis.com/images/U1933748B.jpg?size=67&uid=%7B8EBB1F8C-62BA-4906-ACCF-530D68AA0A00%7D

when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

I have no idea what this had to do with what you quoted from me but it certainly made me laugh! :rofl:

And no, I'm not giving up, I believe in Sweed - but I did give up on Washington for he is no longer a Steeler!

lilyoder6
03-03-2009, 08:16 AM
i still think that the titans need to get a wr in the 1st rd if there is a good enough wr there... u don't know how nate will do as the 1 or 2 wr..

4xSBChamps
03-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I have no idea what this had to do with what you quoted from me

"DEATH TO NEIDEMEYER

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/features/cars/37.jpg

and all who bear-arms against the Steeler Nation!"

Michael Keller
03-03-2009, 08:58 AM
This sets the table for Sweed who has much more upside. I sit here every year and watch this insanity for success during FA signing. These Front Offices just do not get it.

Dino 6 Rings
03-03-2009, 09:12 AM
I hope Sweed does work out. I'm pretty sure most of us had hesitations about Holmes after his Rookie season as well. I just haven't seen much in the way of excellent performances and great play from most of the kids that come out of Texas the last 5 years or so. I worry that those kids get away with so much at Texas that they don't understand what kind of real hard work it takes at the NFL Level. We'll see what we see.

iceman000123
03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Out of all of the teams Nate..really? Well now Limas Sweed gets to step up now and I can't wait to see what he produces on the field this season. I have Faith in you SWEEEEEEED

CanadianSteel
03-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Time for Sweed to step and and contribute besides blocks.... Kind of looking forward to him getting a chance. He has motivation as he will be slotted as the # 3 guy initially and can play himself into a contract down the road once Hines decides to depart... I will think postive and say that Sweed will post nore TD's than Nate's 3 last year !

LukesDad88
03-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Contract seemed a little long, money a bit high. I hope it's not too backloaded...

T Bradshaw
03-03-2009, 10:41 AM
I wont miss a WR who dropped a ton of balls
He will never be a starter in the NFL
I am happy he is gone
Doesnt take a lot to replace that clown

steelreserve
03-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Nate got $27 Million over 6 Years with $9 Million Guaranteed.

Well, that's definitely more than it makes sense to pay him. I think we've found this offseason's Guy Who It Was The Right Decision To Let Walk Away For That Ungodly Amount Of Money. I wonder how many years it takes before you're supposed to stop talking about "potential"? Some guys make a career out of it these days, I guess.

Good luck Nate, but I doubt you'll be worth it.

drew102e
03-03-2009, 11:58 AM
with nate getting 4.5 mil a year, how on earth will the FO extend holmes, miller, ward

we better get lombardi #7 this year cause next year might be a problem

Morgan
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
And like Yancy Thigpen before him, he will now slip into obscurity.

steelreserve
03-03-2009, 12:05 PM
with nate getting 4.5 mil a year, how on earth will the FO extend holmes, miller, ward

By not being stupid and giving big contracts to unproven guys who don't deserve it.

Guys like Starks, or Kemo, or ...

... wait. Ahh, crap.

AllD
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
And like Yancy Thigpen before him, he will now slip into obscurity.

Exactly.

His best game was against Dallas last year. We play TN this upcoming season. He better keep one eye open for Ryan Clark.

lilyoder6
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
nate got his rings and helped us get #6... hopefully he can find some kind of success in ten

rbryan
03-03-2009, 03:34 PM
At the midgets big press conference everyone was all smiles..........kinda like they just signed Jerry Rice about 15 years ago.....lol

I never liked him.....I knew he was no good the minute I laid eyes on him..........Wallstreet

St33lersguy
03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I believe the Titans overpayed. of course that's not hard to overpay butterfingers Washington who's not worth $1 million.
All I can say to the Titans is good luck because they're gonna need it

JackHammer
03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
at many points last season we were saying nate was outplaying holmes. of course that changed during the playoffs :wink02:

Not to mention 3rd downs......

SteelersTilIDie
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
he absolutely isn't worth what they paid him so in that regard i'd wrather him be gone than us pay him that kind of $

lilyoder6
03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
i don't think he will be that affective... if he will be the 1 or 2 wr... he will get dif cov than he did when he was the 3 or 4 wr...