PDA

View Full Version : Best FA Match for the Steelers: OT Khalif Barnes

mesaSteeler
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
From ESPN AFC North blog
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-172/Best-Match--AFC-North.html
Best Match: OT Khalif Barnes

The Steelers are rarely big players in free agency, so there are no obvious matches for the defending Super Bowl champions. But former Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Khalif Barnes would be a nice addition.

In terms of age and production Barnes, 26, is arguably the best tackle remaining on the market. Pittsburgh's offensive line could use help in keeping quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright next season.

Would the Steelers pay top dollar for a free agent like Barnes? It doesn't appear likely. But if they decide to spend this offseason, Barnes would be a good investment. Otherwise, April's NFL draft cannot come soon enough for Pittsburgh.

jasonhightower
03-02-2009, 05:38 PM
From ESPN AFC North blog
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-172/Best-Match--AFC-North.html
Best Match: OT Khalif Barnes

The Steelers are rarely big players in free agency, so there are no obvious matches for the defending Super Bowl champions. But former Jacksonville Jaguars offensive tackle Khalif Barnes would be a nice addition.

In terms of age and production Barnes, 26, is arguably the best tackle remaining on the market. Pittsburgh's offensive line could use help in keeping quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright next season.

Would the Steelers pay top dollar for a free agent like Barnes? It doesn't appear likely. But if they decide to spend this offseason, Barnes would be a good investment. Otherwise, April's NFL draft cannot come soon enough for Pittsburgh.

Any ideas what kind of contract he's be looking for?

The Duke
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Pittsburgh's offensive line could use help in keeping quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright next season.

yeah, and barnes wouldn't help that at all

he's a hell of a run blocker though. But I'd pass on him

Fire Haley
03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
He's an average stiff playing LT - if we moved him to RT he might be OK.

devilsdancefloor
03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
we can get the same talent level in the draft IMHO

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Barnes will probably get 5.5-$6mil a season somewhere if somebody has the $$.

The Steelers dont have that kind of cap room, so very doubtful its gonna happen. Could have instead of looked at Ray willis of the Seahawks to play RT, but that too is doubtful.

Preacher
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I think we will bring someone in, but it won't be for another week or two. It will also be someone that few of us have ever really heard of.

Galax Steeler
03-03-2009, 03:54 AM
I think we will bring someone in, but it won't be for another week or two. It will also be someone that few of us have ever really heard of.

Yea it is just a matter of time before we do bring someone in. I think we are just waiting on the dust to settle.

MasterOfPuppets
03-03-2009, 04:07 AM
there's a reason why jacksonville ain't tryin to resign him......:coffee:

Rick5895
03-03-2009, 05:13 AM
They can draft an OT with the 32nd pick. William Beatty of U Conn should be available, then Colon can move inside to guard, where he should be.

KeiselPower99
03-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Barnes has signed with the Raiders.

MasterOfPuppets
03-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Barnes has signed with the Raiders.

thank god....there's a reason why barnes was available this long......HE SUCKS !!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2009, 01:41 PM
That means Al Davis will be probably looking at Crabtree or Maclin with their 1st round pick and not an OT.

MasterOfPuppets
03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
That means Al Davis will be probably looking at Crabtree or Maclin with their 1st round pick and not an OT.or orakpo if he's still there....maybe even raji.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2009, 01:46 PM
or orakpo if he's still there....maybe even raji.

Maybe. I really dont think Orakpo will fall that far, but you never know. I honestly see Orakpo as being the 2nd coming of Derrick Thomas...........he's got that kind of quickness off the ball and is a pass rush machine.

KeiselPower99
03-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Actually the deal fell through according to theredzone.org

slashsteel
03-08-2009, 12:14 AM
April's NFL draft cannot come soon enough for Pittsburgh.

Yes because our team struggled so much. This writer is a f-in tool.........