PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys SS Roy Williams asks to be cut or traded

BrandonCarr39
03-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm willing to bet Belichick will offer him a second chance...any takers?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/030309dnspocowbrief.1def5915.html

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News
tarcher@dallasnews.com / The Dallas Morning News

Roy Williams wants to know what his future holds immediately, so his agent, Jordan Woy, has asked the Dallas Cowboys to either cut or trade the strong safety by today.

The Cowboys have made Williams available for trade but the market has been slow, largely because teams believe the club will eventually release him. Williams is scheduled to count $6.6 million against the 2009 salary cap.

If the Cowboys trade or cut Williams, they will save roughly $2 million against the cap. His 2008 season was cut short by a twice-fractured right forearm that limited him to three games. He finished with nine tackles.

xfl2001fan
03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
He wouldn't be a bad weakside linebacker for the right price.

stlrtruck
03-03-2009, 01:21 PM
He wouldn't be a bad weakside linebacker for the right price.

Holy smoke! Finally a thread that has, "He wouldn't look bad in brown for the right prce!" :rofl:

But let's face it - no one looks good in brown!!! :toofunny:

xfl2001fan
03-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Holy smoke! Finally a thread that has, "He wouldn't look bad in brown for the right prce!" :rofl:

But let's face it - no one looks good in brown!!! :toofunny:

Actually, I wasn't implying that, though I could see where you would guess that. I was making fun of the fact that he's still labeled as a Safety...when his coverage skills are about as good as Shaun Rogers or Albert Haynesworth's.

revefsreleets
03-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Actually, with the way the Browns secondary looks, just about ANY player is going to be an upgrade. Isn't Sean Jones on his way out?

lilyoder6
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
poor roy.. if he is going to play anymore it will have to be at a lb pos.. or he won't play on passing downs

Fire Haley
03-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Cleaning house

Cowboys | Safety Roy Williams released
Thu, 05 Mar 2009 07:43:24 -0800

Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys have released S Roy L. Williams after not being able to trade him. Williams confirmed his release Thursday, March 5. His release will save the team about $2 million against the salary cap.

BrandonCarr39
03-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Cleaning house

Cowboys | Safety Roy Williams released
Thu, 05 Mar 2009 07:43:24 -0800

Todd Archer, of The Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys have released S Roy L. Williams after not being able to trade him. Williams confirmed his release Thursday, March 5. His release will save the team about $2 million against the salary cap.

As much as I'm relieved about TO being cut, I'm not exactly too thrilled about SS Roy being cut.

He may be the hugest liability in coverage, and one of the league's biggest underachievers, but our run D took a hit after he went down last year. He's done an excellent job in providing run support for us, I'll give him that. Remember the Ravens game last year(i.e. last TX Stadium game)-if Roy had been in there, those 2 long TD runs at the end prolly wouldn't have happened.

xfl2001fan
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Actually, with the way the Browns secondary looks, just about ANY player is going to be an upgrade. Isn't Sean Jones on his way out?

He's a FA, but he's not generating a lot of interest (that I'm aware of.) Of course, he's not getting much from the Browns FO either...

I think losing Sean Jones will hurt a lot more than my new FO is aware of. Then again, I don't know that there is a lot of difference between my old FO and the new regime. I'm not sold...especially with Mangini.

DoubleSh0t
03-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Williams couldn't cover anyway. He just brought people down with horsecollars all game.

xfl2001fan
03-06-2009, 05:15 AM
Aaand, he's gone.

BrandonCarr39
03-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Aaand, he's gone.

Not to get off topic, but I hear Sean Jones is visiting the Eagles tomorrow.

From what I've read, Jones is a good, but not a great SS. Is this correct? If so, I won't be surprised if he signs with the Eagles b/c of the lowball contracts they give out. They get what they pay for, I guess.

revefsreleets
03-06-2009, 08:34 AM
He's underperformed a bit, but he's had a bunch of nagging issues like injuries and the like. I think his INT's are top 3 or 4 though over the last few years.

The Eagles would be a nice fit for him...but that opens up even more holes in an already porous Browns secondary...

steelerbuckeye
03-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I would love to see him in Houston actually.

BrandonCarr39
03-07-2009, 12:14 AM
He's underperformed a bit, but he's had a bunch of nagging issues like injuries and the like. I think his INT's are top 3 or 4 though over the last few years.

The Eagles would be a nice fit for him...but that opens up even more holes in an already porous Browns secondary...

I was surprised that he only got a 1 year deal by them today. I know Jones had a good season or 2, but I thought he would generate much more interest than getting a 1 year deal by no more than 1 team.