PDA

View Full Version : Warner wants to remain with the Cardinals

jev7452
03-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Kurt Warner apparently didn't leave his heart in San Francisco after a successful visit with the 49ers on Monday that could net him a rich two-year contract. Warner's heart is still with the Arizona Cardinals.

While he's pondering a more lucrative offer by the 49ers, Warner reached out to the Cardinals to give them a chance to sign him at a "hometown" discount.

On Tuesday, Warner instructed his agent, Mark Bartelstein, to make a two-year, $23 million proposal to stay with the Cardinals. According to Bartelstein, Warner's proposal would include $12 million in guarantees, $6 million each season.

To further sweeten the deal to the Cardinals, Warner, through Bartelstein, is willing to reduce his contract by $1 million a year if they can successfully renegotiate the contract of wide receiver Anquan Boldin.

According to a source, the Cardinals improved their proposal to Warner that had been stalled for more than a week at two years and $20 million. The Cardinals are willing to give him $23 million over the next two seasons, but they are making up the difference with incentives.

NFL.com Video

Highlights of the best moments from Kurt Warner in 2008.
On Monday, the 49ers made him an offer that is much higher than the $23 million. Though financial terms weren't available, the 49ers came closer to Warner's request to be paid among the top five quarterbacks in the league. He had been asking for a contract between $14 million and $16 million a year.

Warner is awaiting an answer from the Cardinals. He returned from his 49ers trip Monday night.

The trip to San Francisco insured that Warner could make more money by going to the 49ers or another team, but Warner wants to give the team he helped take to the Super Bowl the chance to keep him around for two more seasons.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

BrandonCarr39
03-03-2009, 10:20 PM
To further sweeten the deal to the Cardinals, Warner, through Bartelstein, is willing to reduce his contract by $1 million a year if they can successfully renegotiate the contract of wide receiver Anquan Boldin.

It's been reported that Eagles CB Sheldon Brown is unhappy with his current contract. Sirius radio reported today that Philly is entertaining the idea of trading him to Zona for Boldin. Shawn Springs is in Philly tonight, and rumors are flying that a contract will be signed no later than tomorrow(when he'll meet with the media).

The next couple of weeks will be interesting in the entire league, that's for sure!

jev7452
03-03-2009, 10:54 PM
oh most definitely!.. i'll be very interested to see what happens with springs

NEPAsteeler
03-03-2009, 11:55 PM
I love the offseason and all of its juicy storylines.

XxKnightxX
03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Its amazing how the offseason of free agency and the draft gets more attention than the NBA and Baseball lol.

revefsreleets
03-04-2009, 10:31 AM
This makes the most sense for both the Cards and Warner. It gives them both their best chance at trying to recreate the success of this past year (although they almost certainly won't anyway).

Boy, Warner sure looks pretty douchey, now, though doesn't he?

SCSTILLER
03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
I can't beleive that Warner even entertained the thought of going to the 49ers. He has a good thing going in AZ and should stay there. They are somewhat established and are the strongest team in their division, and up there in the conference. 49ers are rebuilding and his age would limit what he could do for them.

If he did go to the niners, I see him being benched by the end of the season, just like when he was with the Giants.

lilyoder6
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
i thought kurt loved arizona... geez.. the man is going to be 38.. that would be a lot of investment u putting in...

revefsreleets
03-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, to be honest, he'll be a young 40 years old at the end of the deal. How much damage did he really take while bagging groceries? Playing Arena Ball? Was he ever even HIT in the AFL?

BrandonCarr39
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, to be honest, he'll be a young 40 years old at the end of the deal. How much damage did he really take while bagging groceries? Playing Arena Ball? Was he ever even HIT in the AFL?

Until the Pats figured out how to exploit Martz's pass-happy schemes in that 2001 Super Bowl(i.e. knocking their receivers around silly), ANYONE could have QB'd that Rams offense. I mean ANYONE with all that speed AND Marshall Faulk. He just happened to have an opporunity b/c their prized FA(Trent Green) went down in that 1999 preseason. Otherwise, who knows? To this day, Green could very well be ranked among the elite QBs.

steelreserve
03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I can't beleive that Warner even entertained the thought of going to the 49ers.

Why? He's a fricking mercenary, and taking that little trip to SF probably earned him at least a couple million dollars whether he was actually serious about the 49ers or not. Just trying to pit one team against another to bid up your price.

I just hope this doesn't mean the 49ers focus their attention on Leftwich now, because lord knows they still need a quarterback.

BrandonCarr39
03-04-2009, 01:08 PM
FWIW-Niners will be good next year. Mike Singletary really put his rubber stamp on this team at year's end(winning 4 of their last 5). I'm surprised he didn't get a HC gig previously.

Shaun Hill showed promise at QB-not saying he's the next Montana, but nonetheless he improved nicely at season's end.

The_WARDen
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Maybe Warner liked entertaining the thought of taking 3 NFL teams to the SB?
:noidea:

Before you laugh about the prospect of the 49ers being in the SB, how many of you had the Cardinals penciled in the big game at this time last year?

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
No surprise here

Cardinals | Warner re-signed for two years
Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:44:43 -0800

ESPNews reports the Arizona Cardinals have re-signed QB Kurt Warner to a two-year deal.

steelreserve
03-04-2009, 02:43 PM
No surprise here

Cardinals | Warner re-signed for two years
Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:44:43 -0800

ESPNews reports the Arizona Cardinals have re-signed QB Kurt Warner to a two-year deal.

Like I said, mercenary, and the visit to the Niners did its job of extracting an extra couple million from Arizona.

ShutDown24
03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80f11d07&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

JPPT1974
03-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Well he just now, signed a two-year $23M deal.
Those two years, will be his last.

JEFF4i
03-04-2009, 04:23 PM
WHat a d-bag. Honestly, paid in the top 5 QBs?

That'd be super...if he was a top 5 QB.

steelreserve
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
WHat a d-bag. Honestly, paid in the top 5 QBs?

That'd be super...if he was a top 5 QB.

I know. From what I hear in the media, Tom Brady is the top 5 QBs all by himself. With maybe Peyton Manning sneaking in there for the #4 or #5 spot.

JEFF4i
03-04-2009, 08:07 PM
I know. From what I hear in the media, Tom Brady is the top 5 QBs all by himself. With maybe Peyton Manning sneaking in there for the #4 or #5 spot.

:laughing::rofl::laughing:

stlrtruck
03-05-2009, 07:22 AM
What kills me is that through this entire process he talked about being a cardinal all along but instead of signing the contract upfront he snubbed them and rubbed their nose in it (yeah not the Kurt that the media portrayed leading up, during, and after the Super Bowl), only to come back with a different offer?

I have lost some respect for Kurt, he pulled the wool over my eyes. He said it wasn't about the money but it was.

HometownGal
03-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Before you laugh about the prospect of the 49ers being in the SB, how many of you had the Cardinals penciled in the big game at this time last year?

I didn't at this time last season, but by Week #6 when XT and I were discussing Super Bowl prospects, I had the Cards in there and he laughed at me. :chuckle:

Smart move by the Cards at least short-term. Kurt tends to be injury prone so now they'd best get to work on getting a reliable back-up for him in case he goes down during the season.