PDA

View Full Version : Nobody wants Ray Lewis

devilsdancefloor
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Nobody-wants-Ray-Lewis;_ylt=Arj2GsYzL075zaE.o0sessZDubYF?urn=nfl,14 5486

Nobody wants Ray Lewis
By MJD
With the free agency news beginning to slow down a bit, there's still one big name out there available to anyone willing to shell out the cash. The problem is, though, that no one seems willing to shell out that cash. And thus, Ray Lewis remains unemployed.

The last thing we heard about Ray was that he was mad at the Ravens and vowing to never play for them again. The mad scramble by other teams to swoop in and steal Ray-Ray away from Baltimore has not happened. I've barely heard his name mentioned at all over the last few days.

Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times reports today that other than the Ravens and the three-year, $24 million deal they have on the table, no one's picking up the phone and calling Ray. Tom Curran of NBC Sports says that Ray has found "a decidedly depressed market for his services."

This situation is a perfect case study for how much age matters in free agency. Ray Lewis is an unquestioned first-ballot Hall of Famer, and is coming off a season where he was both a Pro Bowler and an All-Pro. He's in the conversation for the greatest linebacker of all time. And no one's willing to pay him what he wants, because he's 33.

Here was Joe Theismann's advice for Ray, again from the Carroll County Times:

"As a player of Ray's stature, you don't maintain a sense of reality," former NFL quarterback Joe Theismann said Monday in a telephone interview. "There are few places for him to go in the first place, economically. In Ray's situation, you look at some of the numbers that lesser known, less accomplished younger players are getting and you think, 'Why can't I get a piece of that?'

"In Ray's case, the reality is that there aren't a whole lot of options for him. The way you drive up the price is to have a lot of suitors for your talent. That's the only way to get that done is to negotiate with other teams. Truthfully, Ray Lewis has made more money than he can spend in his lifetime." [...]

"It's not just a question of economics," Theismann said. "The numbers get skewed. Players think the numbers are equal to respect. I don't agree with that. I think numbers reflect market value. It's the free enterprise system. Free agency has always leaned toward youth."

Theismann's absolutely right about everything (and as a side note, I wish he'd have been that candid and insightful during his time as a broadcaster on ESPN). Unfortunately for Ray-Ray, there were other good linebackers available in free agency, and they were younger than him. They got paid. Ray hasn't.

It looks like the choice Ray has to make is to either swallow his pride and go back to Baltimore for the most money he can get, or take less money to go somewhere else so he can prove the Ravens wrong, or make whatever other grand point he wants to make.

you know it is bad when even al davis isnt calling!

NEPAsteeler
03-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Aww... poor little thug can't find a team to sign him. What a shame. :noidea:

steelwall
03-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Nobody wants Ray Ray....hmmm ...No suprize here. But in reality if he is not with the Ravens next year, some team out there will sign him.

Nighthawk
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM
he's got a lot of places to go.. Jets, Cowboys, Redskins, Broncos, Patriots.... I'm sure they'll have offers for him soon

Dodt
03-04-2009, 12:46 AM
somebody please sign him , if he doesn't end up with a team he'll be in the booth.

OneForTheToe
03-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Where will Ray-Ray end up ...... you cut the tension with a knife.:coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
03-04-2009, 01:59 AM
the steelers had no problem giving old farrior a new contract.......could teams not want the murder around because of the way he's willing to throw people under the bus when things aren't going so well ? (ie...billick) being a "team leader" doesn't involve questioning the coaches descisions...thats the FO's job.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
03-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Ahhh no one want's Ray Ray :crying01:

Galax Steeler
03-04-2009, 04:58 AM
It go's to show you no one wants a thug on there team.

The Patriot
03-04-2009, 06:48 AM
This might be a great opportunity for him to sit down and rethink his life.

stlrtruck
03-04-2009, 07:59 AM
He's in the conversation for the greatest linebacker of all time. And no one's willing to pay him what he wants, because he's 33.

Here's the problem, this conversation only takes place in Baltimore. I can think of a few LBs that are way up on the list, then there's a huge gap of no names, and then rays name!

HometownGal
03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Awww, poor Stabbit Ray. Looks like the pompus jackass will have to crawl back to Baltimore with his tail between his legs. :crying01:

steelerbackr4life
03-04-2009, 08:07 AM

Wait......... you didnt believe all the feel good pieces featuring Ray Ray put out by the NFL either? According to them he already has.

lilyoder6
03-04-2009, 08:10 AM
ray ray has no interest like he thought... poor baby... just go back to balt and be over-rated

rbryan
03-04-2009, 09:42 AM
If he's waiting for someone to offer more than the 3 year $24 mill the Ratbirds have on the table he's more delusional than I thought. Thats way more than he's worth already. The sense of entitlement that jackasses like him have is amazing.

Ray Ray thinks he's being disrespected..........uh oh.....just a matter of time before he has someone from his posse stab the GM in the Baltimore.

XxKnightxX
03-04-2009, 09:51 AM
The biggest problem I have is how he acts like HE IS THE DEFENSE. Jesus Almighty I can play at his level with Bannan, Ngata, and Gregg clogging up the middle, suggs and Johnson wreaking havoc on the edge, and Bart Scott blowing up the fullback or the Guard, How hard can it be for an average joe to make a tackle right there? A giant potato rolling down the hill can make the tackle.

Jets wont sign because they have Scott
Skins wont sign him because they have Mcintosh and washington

Cowboys have Brooking and hell get blown up by the 3-4 system.

Denver, same hell get blown up on a 3-4 and get injured

Hes a playmaker dont get me wrong, he still has it and he has leadership, but hes gotta get of cloud 9 and realize its either a big paycheck with a lousy season or a small paycheck and the possibility of a super bowl.

Godfather
03-04-2009, 09:54 AM
What do you mean nobody?

Indiana wants him.

revefsreleets
03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
He made the Pro Bowl this year on reputation and stat friendly M&T Bank staiticians.

Dude is done. He'll stick with baltimore and we will have the pleasure of watching his mouth write a bunch of checks his body is no longer capable of actually paying for the next couple years.

rbryan
03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm just glad that its the Ratbirds who get "stuck" with overpaying this blowhard for the next few years. Hopefully murdering Ray will scare the FO enough to bankrupt the cap over there.

lilyoder6
03-04-2009, 11:09 AM
i think it will be funny to see ray ray play for the ravens next yr when he clearly doesn't

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 12:18 PM
RayRay to the Browns?

Pats? still kicking the tires?

Boston radio - about 2 min in...

http://audio.weei.com/m/21944117/what_s_next_for_the_pats.htm

revefsreleets
03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Browns would be a good fit. They need him. It's one team where a washed up has-been can still play a major role.

But what will he do without Rogers in front of him chewing up his blockers? Can Ray Lewis even SHED a block?

It's also a fitting reunion of felons, what with Jamal Lewis' coke conviction (although, to be fair, Rayy Ray did plead his way out the murder rap)

steelerbackr4life
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
LoL I can see the Christmas Cards Now.

Happy Hollah Days From Ray Ray Jamal and da Browns! Since we cant beat Pittsburgh on the field we strive to beat the Bengals in the amount of felons on our roster :rofl:

FredScott
03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Well felon or not this guy can still play football and play it well. He might be 33 but hes still one of the better LB in the league like him or not. Yes I know the guy is profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery as hell but when it comes down to it he leaves it all on the field and would help any club he joins and my guess is it won't be the ravens seeign as they already have lost some key defensive players to FA.

Hapa
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
He's been resigned by the Ravens, I just got the alert on my phone.

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
No surprise there.

He got the swolled head for awhile though.

steelballs
03-05-2009, 09:11 AM

Ray Ray is way too full of himself to ever think he might be the problem. The guy's a hero to the rat faithful and to himself....but that's about it.

Hey Ray, was the posturing you did prior to the FA signing period and subsequent disapproval of the rat offer worth 2 million bucks? I hope so, as that's what it cost you...tool.

HometownGal
03-05-2009, 09:27 AM
I think this thread can be closed, as Stabbit Ray was re-signed by the Rats yesterday.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=34367