PDA

View Full Version : Jarron Gilbert

truesteelerfan
03-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Interesting Prospect I hadn't considered before for our draft position considering how popular OL players could be. This is from NFL.COM....Sounds like an athlete according to the player description....Anybody seen the video it talks about? Pretty impressive

32. Steelers Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State Jarron Gilbert
A 3-4, five-technique player is on the Steelers' shopping list, and at 6-foot-5, 288 pounds and with 4.8 speed, Gilbert has all the measurables. Look him up on YouTube, and watch him jump out of a swimmimg pool in three feet of water straight onto the deck without using his hands to push off.

Sharkissle29
03-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing he would play OLB for us? Replacing Harrison after this coming season?

steelreserve
03-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Sounds tempting, except boy, does San Jose State suck.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Gilbert would replace Keisel in 2010. The guy is a DE and some regard him as the 2nd best 3-4 DE next to Tyson Jackson. (personally I think he is better than Jackson)

Jarron Gilbert/DL/San Jose State: Gilbert measured 6-feet-5, 288 pounds then ran his 40s in swift times of 4.8-seconds. He looked very athletic in drills and displayed the skills necessary to be used as a defensive tackle or two-gap end. Gilbert also completed 28 reps on the bench press. It's not a mind-boggling total but rather impressive when one considers Gilbert's arms measure just a fraction under 37 inches.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/23/monday.risers.sliders/index.html

truesteelerfan
03-04-2009, 01:35 PM
link to youtube vid.......anybody else wanna try this and see how easy it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

OneForTheToe
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I always hate to grade players ability by weight, but I have to wonder if at a "college" 6-5 288 he might need a bit more than one year to work into the starting line-up.( I say college 6-5 288 because, even with the workout programs in colleges these days, usually your average NFL player is still better conditioned and stronger at what his position requires than his college counterpart with similar physical attributes) I know Keisel is only listed at 6-5 and 285, but I think that was his weight when he was playing special teams. I'm thinking that Brett is closer to the mid 290's these days. No matter how good you are at beating the offensive linemen in front of you, if you can't hold the point aginst a double team .......... Brett also has the luxury of playing on a line with both"Big Snack" and Aaron Smith. Gilbert might not have two linemates who must draw double teams to be blocked.

Of course, if Gilbert can play, I'd be fine with him taking a few years to work into the starting line-up. I wonder when the last time the Steelers went for a defensive end (not NT) in the first (or even the second) round(s)? Most of the time our defensive ends are guys other teams have passed on. Smith was a 4th rounder and Keisel a 7th rounder - both of whom you'd have to say exceeded expectaions.

GeneralRobinson
03-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Interesting Prospect I hadn't considered before for our draft position considering how popular OL players could be. This is from NFL.COM....Sounds like an athlete according to the player description....Anybody seen the video it talks about? Pretty impressive

32. Steelers Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State Jarron Gilbert
A 3-4, five-technique player is on the Steelers' shopping list, and at 6-foot-5, 288 pounds and with 4.8 speed, Gilbert has all the measurables. Look him up on YouTube, and watch him jump out of a swimmimg pool in three feet of water straight onto the deck without using his hands to push off.

Aren't the DEs in our system more 3 and 4 technique players?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Gilbert is this years small school player that moved up boards, very much like Kendall Langford of Hampton did last year (Miami Dolphins pick). Steve Mariucci said that he coached Gilberts father in college.

Langford was 6'5", 287lbs and benched 24 reps with a 31 inch vertical and a 4.97 -40

Gilbert was 6'5", 288.bs and benched 28 reps, with a 35.5 inch vertical and a 4.8-40.

Gilbert would be a guy that can play a 2-gap DE like Keisel, but is much faster and more explosive to chase down plays and rush the passer. I would not mind him at all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Aren't the DEs in our system more 3 and 4 technique players?

Not sure if you are joking or not..........but a "3-technique" is what the NFL refers to DT's in a 4-3 defense. The "5-technique" is what they refer to a DE in a 3-4(like Smith or Keisel)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 02:24 PM
he proved to be arguably the most dominant presence at the East-West Shrine Game. The question for scouts now isn't whether Gilbert can play, but at which position to utilize his unique combination of size and athletic ability.

The son of former New Orleans Saints' offensive tackle Daren Gilbert, Jarron has incredible athleticism for his size and could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jarron-gilbert?id=79559

OneForTheToe
03-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't be so sure that Keisel is the player on the d'line not resigned to an extention. I know he is over 30, but he didn't play much early in his career and could probably be extended without much haggling. I'm not neccessarily advocating such, but I could see the Steelers at least considering keeping Keisel and letting "Big Snack" go when his contract expires. Obviously, as a NT with less than a stellar reputation for "letting himself go" during the off season, Casey could lose his effectiveness with litte advanced warning. He also will cost more money to extend. I bring this up here, because if the Steelers are think along those lines they need to consider a young NT pretty soon as well. Of course, whether they extend Brett otr not we could use some youth at DE.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 03:22 PM
True that Keisel is in his 8th season while Aaron Smith is in his 11th and Hampton his 9th season. Both Hampton and Keisel's deals are up in 2010, while Smith is signed to 2011.

It makes sense that if the Steelers want to tag Harrison and spend the money there next season, they may have to let Keisel go in free agency. OR they may choose to extend Keisel and release Smith. Either way, they need to get some youth on the D line to get ready for some turnover. I think a NT can be had in later rounds that can rotate in with Hampton and extend his career. Myron Pryor, Antonio Dixon or Maybe Terrance Taylor come to mind.

GeneralRobinson
03-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Not sure if you are joking or not..........but a "3-technique" is what the NFL refers to DT's in a 4-3 defense. The "5-technique" is what they refer to a DE in a 3-4(like Smith or Keisel)

No I was not joking. I thought that a 5-technique player in our 3-4 scheme, being on the outside shoulder of the tackle, would be our outside linebacker as opposed to a 4-3 DE, and our DE would be playing more inside. Sorry for the confusion.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
No I was not joking. I thought that a 5-technique player in our 3-4 scheme, being on the outside shoulder of the tackle, would be our outside linebacker as opposed to a 4-3 DE, and our DE would be playing more inside. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem. Its just something the NFL draft pundits like to throw around. I just prefer calling guys what they play (3-4 DE)

BehindSteelCurtain
03-05-2009, 12:38 AM
What round is he expected to go? If he's not supposed to be drafted in 4th or 5th why not take someone that is supposed to go in the 1st round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2009, 01:17 AM
What round is he expected to go? If he's not supposed to be drafted in 4th or 5th why not take someone that is supposed to go in the 1st round.

Most had him as a 2nd round prospect in the top 50 players available in the draft. He had a great combine. He will go high in the 2nd if not sooner.

47 Jarron Gilbert DT San Jose State 6-6 280 lbs
Gilbert was unranked by scouting services at the start of the season. He's a dominant lineman with the athleticism to be a tackle or a two-gap end.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/20/big-board2/index.html

mulldog24
03-06-2009, 08:39 AM
If there are no OT worth taking at 32 then I would love to get this guy. We need DL as much as we do OL.

steelerdave1969
03-07-2009, 08:34 AM
The Steelers need to add some depth and youth to their d-line and maybe this guy could be the one to add..

Texasteel
03-07-2009, 09:09 AM
He looks good. The real problem facing the Steelers is the large amount of teams switching to the 3-4 will drive the draft position and price of 3-4 type players way up. It is going to be hard to find another Big Snack easily or cheaply. Sure wish we had shot at Raji this year.

Take a look at Sammie Lee Hill, out of Stillman.
6'4" / 325 lb.
Probably a 4th pick
One possibility.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Take a look at Sammie Lee Hill, out of Stillman.
6'4" / 325 lb.
Probably a 4th pick
One possibility.

Couple of late Round DE's to look at:

Zach Potter, DE, Nebraska
6'6 287
16 tackles for loss..5.5 sacks 7 BB, 1 forced fumble
Developmental prospect that may be picked up in the 5-7 Rounds. Give him a year in an NFL weight room and he could be a draft steal.

Pannel Egboh, DE, Stanford
6'5 280
Played hurt his senior year, so may fly under peoples radar...his junior year he had 13.5 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries. Also a 5-7 round prospect

Texasteel
03-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Egboh does still interest me greatly. Wasn't he injured earlier this years

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Egboh does still interest me greatly. Wasn't he injured earlier this years

Yea...tried to play through a shoulder injury ... it seriously affected his stats...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Hey, did Corey Wooten from Northwestern declare or is he staying at school? Another DE prospect that might fit in the 3-4.

Texasteel
03-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey, did Corey Wooten from Northwestern declare or is he staying at school? Another DE prospect that might fit in the 3-4.

I didn't see him on the list I have.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-07-2009, 11:24 AM

I believe he stayed at school.

Aussie_steeler
03-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Small school prospect whose workouts are getting attention.

Everette Pedescleaux Northern Iowa

Northern Iowa defensive linemen Everette Pedescleaux, who's really been running well in workouts at almost 6' 6" and 308 pounds, has set up pre-draft visits with five N.F.L. teams, so far, including the Giants, Titans and Cardinals.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Here is a link to a nice video of Gilbert being interviewed ........before the combine.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-574/D-lineman-Gilbert-makes-a--reverse--splash.html

paw-n-maul-u
03-14-2009, 06:17 AM
I'm liking this guy more and more. I was hoping awhile back that we could snag him in the second if he dropped a bit and a trade was within reach.

seems now that he might even go before 32 ... any number of teams could take a guy like gilbert ... pats cowboys dolphins ravens chargers broncos all are toying with a 3-4ish D

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Anybody like the idea of getting Jarron Gilbert at 32?

taztroy43
04-06-2009, 03:40 AM
I wouldn't mind it @ all!.....i think they are gunna go defense in the first round......a defensive end or cornerback.....i think they can pick up o line in the 3 to 7 for depth.....in the first two rounds they might go defense, a defensive end or cb.....if there isn't any good linemen worthy of the 32nd pick of the draft.....defensive guys to consider for the first round: de jarron gilbert or cb sean smith/darius butler.......for the second: fili moala and an OT to consider Phil Loadholt.....we'll see what happens come draft day....hopefully they get a player that is going to better our already great team!!!!!!......

triphahn
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Anybody like the idea of getting Jarron Gilbert at 32?

I like the idea of getting him just not in the first round.

Texasteel
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I would take him at 32 before I would take one of the CBs that will probably be there.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I think he would be the #1 DE if he would have went to a bigger school. IMO he is the best DE.

The Definiti0n
04-11-2009, 11:38 AM
any hear that some teams are considering moving Gilbert to the offensive side of the ball?

Texasteel
04-11-2009, 06:03 PM
any hear that some teams are considering moving Gilbert to the offensive side of the ball?

As a what, TE?

The Definiti0n
04-12-2009, 07:04 AM
As a what, TE?
As a LT or RT. I was watching NFL Network and they were talking about him moving to the offensive side of the ball. Im looking for a link

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2009, 11:32 AM
As a LT or RT. I was watching NFL Network and they were talking about him moving to the offensive side of the ball. Im looking for a link

Yeah, I saw that too. Charley Casserly basically said that back in the day teams would be patient in doing this, but nowadays you invest so much money in a higher pick that you want to see dividends. He basically said the smart thing to do is pick the player as he is ..........a D lineman.

The only red flag is that if teams dont think he as the temperment to be nasty on every down as a DT and instead is better suited to play OT with his long arms, quick feet and size.........he might not pan out. Interviews must be raising questions. I say he drops to a round 2-3 guy.

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I would take him at 32 before I would take one of the CBs that will probably be there.

i agree withe u tex. i thikn that Gilbert would be more of an asset then any CB hanging around at that point in the first round.

Steely McSmash
04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I think he would be the #1 DE if he would have went to a bigger school. IMO he is the best DE.

Either 1st round or confimed third round talent. The big question is how he'd bring it against better competition. How well would Tyson Jackson or these other BCS school 1st round guys tear it up at San Jose State?

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Either 1st round or confimed third round talent. The big question is how he'd bring it against better competition. How well would Tyson Jackson or these other BCS school 1st round guys tear it up at San Jose State?

True. but i tend to have a preference for the diamond in the ruff kinda guy. They seem to have a chip on their shoulder and play like that through out their career. Example: James Harrison, Willie Parker, you might even put Ben in that category.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-12-2009, 11:42 PM
True. but i tend to have a preference for the diamond in the ruff kinda guy. They seem to have a chip on their shoulder and play like that through out their career. Example: James Harrison, Willie Parker, you might even put Ben in that category.

That's a good point.

Pi Kapp Steeler
04-12-2009, 11:55 PM
That's a good point.

Im with you Behindthesteelcurtain about Gilbert being the best DE in this draft. At least 3-4 DE im saying.

The Definiti0n
04-15-2009, 01:27 AM
6-5-288. Wow this dude would beef up our line while added some youth. I can only imagine the many ways Lebeau would use him.

mulldog24
04-18-2009, 09:36 AM
You can go to draftguys.com and see the kid in action!!!!!:popcorn:Dude can bull-rush as well as move down the line!!! I think he has really long arms also.:tt02:

The Definiti0n
04-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Im starting to hope he is our pick

taztroy43
04-21-2009, 01:18 AM
As much as I would love for the steelers to draft him....i dont think its gunna happen with the 32nd pick....i think that they'll end up getting an O-line men before addressing a DL...look @ their past draft....they always go for DL usually in day 2....so idk....lets see what happens.....