PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible that Sweed was drafted to potentially replace Holmes?

BlastFurnace
03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Before you jump down my throat, hear me out on this one. I agree that Holmes is now our best deep threat, play maker, etc...but...

We have a lot of folks to resign in the next 2 years.

Holmes, Super Bowl hero or not, has been in trouble in the recent past and could pose a threat if given a lot of $$$$.

Hines still has 3 or 4 good years left as a #2 and will probably be easer to resign.

I realize that Holmes won't be free until after the 2010 season, but the Steelers will probably try to extend him next year...about the same time they are trying to extend other very important parts of their roster.

This is a huge year for Sweed and the Steelers to see what they have in him with potentially far reaching ramifications.

steelreserve
03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Could've been. If Holmes demands $12 million a year for his contract extension, then have fun on the Raiders, and that's who Sweed will replace. If not, he'll replace Hines once he gets too old.

Of course, all this is assuming Sweed doesn't turn out to suck. Or that he doesn't become too good and start demanding the $12 million himself.

Yeah, I guess wide receiver is one of those positions where you have to keep drafting people every couple of years.

atlsteelers
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Or was drafted to replace Ward whos contract expires after next season.

fordfan485
03-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Or it could have been he was the best player available at that spot in the draft, and after the 07 season, nate had a drop filled year and we had just cut cedric "wife beater" wilson and need a capable 3rd WR

Carolina Steelers
03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I been also thinking about this. I think Ward will sign for a few more years to retire a Steeler, but Ward and other players are a dying breed. If Holmes has a great season this year comin up The Steelers will offer a reasonable contract but I could easily see him jump ship for more money. I like what Holmes did in the Post Season with out him there would be no 6 Championships but, his antics need to be toned down. I dont mind players having a good time but I hope this post season doesnt go to his head he still got a lot to prove.

LukesDad88
03-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Or it could have been he was the best player available at that spot in the draft, and after the 07 season, nate had a drop filled year and we had just cut cedric "wife beater" wilson and need a capable 3rd WR

Ding! Give the man a Cigar! BPA has been our modus operandus for a while now, unless we have an aching need and there's a prospect for that position available, even if we have to trade up for. In recent years, I think we've had three targeted draft picks: Ben, Troy, and Miller.

So, unless there's somebody that knocks your socks off in the draft and you can get them, then go with BPA, and use free agency to fill the gaps.

Kvnfaber
03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
There is no way that replacing Holmes was the motivation behind drafting Sweed. They simply drafted him because of his potential and athleticism packed into that big body. I'm sure all the talk about a big WR in the off-season didn't hurt either.

I think the front office is always thinking future, however in this case, they were just looking for a playmaker with size, period. If there is even discussion about Sweed being on Holmes' level then I think we all will be rejoicing.

As for Holmes, you are a hero to Steeler Nation, just stay out of trouble!

BlastFurnace
03-04-2009, 04:32 PM
When guys like Laverneous Coles get 4 years for $28 Million, you wonder what on earth Holmes will want when we open up negotiations after next season. One solid 75/1300 season would knock him above what Coles got. I'm not sure the Steelers would do that.

scsteeler
03-04-2009, 04:34 PM

I am inclined to go with this assessment. Sweed was the best player out there and getting a quality Wide Receiver is always a plus and the Steelers have a knack for having starters in waiting in which I think helps this team stay so competitive every year.

Sweed should be much better this year especially catching the ball when he is wide open.

Nate had some of the same issues that Sweed has his rookie season and look at how he finally improved. Look at the Quality receivers that start or have started for other teams that were groomed by the Steelers. Of course some turn out to be like Burris.

WitchKing701
03-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Depth at receiver is a must in the NFL, what with age and injuries taking their annual toll. I don't think the Steelers will see WR as a need in this year's draft. They may pick up a receiver they like in the later rounds, but I'd frankly be surprised if they weren't looking at OL and DL in the first couple of rounds.

I've seen some mock drafts suggesting we need to pick a safety in the early rounds as well, because Clark will demand big money when his contract is up (I think next year). That could be so as well.

I think the FO is in a good position. Other than some competitive/depth needs at OL, they can look to what they need after '09/'10 season in terms of drafting for expected departures now rather than waiting.

LukesDad88
03-04-2009, 05:12 PM
When guys like Laverneous Coles get 4 years for $28 Million, you wonder what on earth Holmes will want when we open up negotiations after next season. One solid 75/1300 season would knock him above what Coles got. I'm not sure the Steelers would do that.

Well, let's see. Coles caught alot more balls, for a few more yards, and more touchdowns. Still, they were pretty close, stat wise. I'd think a similar contract would be in order, if it was this season. Let's not worry about Homes until next year, when he'll still have another year on his contract and another year to see how he progresses.

lilyoder6
03-04-2009, 05:15 PM
lets wait and see what he can do next season.. like some said he jumped out in the post-season.. lets see how he can cry that over

Preacher
03-04-2009, 05:17 PM
I think, like many others, he was drafted to 1, give Ben a big target that he wanted. 2. To eventually step up into the number 2 or 3 role.

When he dropped to the second round, he was too good to pass up.

BlastFurnace
03-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Let's not worry about Homes until next year, when he'll still have another year on his contract and another year to see how he progresses.

Wasn't that the same attitude we took with BMAC and Harrison? Look where that got us.

BlastFurnace
03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I dont understand, we've hardly taken a step back yet.

I'm not talking about the team taking a step back. Obviously, that hasn't happened. I'm just thinking about the $$$$'s that we would have saved on two guys we knew could play...if we had extended them earlier.

LukesDad88
03-04-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm not talking about the team taking a step back. Obviously, that hasn't happened. I'm just thinking about the $$$$'s that we would have saved on two guys we knew could play...if we had extended them earlier.

Yeah, they should have done it last year... Oh, wait a minute, they had to lock down Ben, as well as pick up Moore, Hartwig, etc...

A big part of Harrison's success has been the system he plays in. Yes, he's athletic and strong, but do you feel he would have been nearly as dominant on another team. Somebody may offer him 9-10 million a year to leave Pittsburgh. If so, that's too bad, but I'm confident that we can find somebody else to fill in that position at 95% the level as Harrisin for a third the money. Instead of being the #1 defense, we may be the 2nd or 3rd. I can live with that.

As far as B-Mac goes, he's made the rounds, but the offers don't seem to be rolling in. The only one I know of for sure is Pittsburgh's 5 year offer... Let's wait and see.

BlastFurnace
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah, they should have done it last year... Oh, wait a minute, they had to lock down Ben, as well as pick up Moore, Hartwig, etc...

A big part of Harrison's success has been the system he plays in. Yes, he's athletic and strong, but do you feel he would have been nearly as dominant on another team. Somebody may offer him 9-10 million a year to leave Pittsburgh. If so, that's too bad, but I'm confident that we can find somebody else to fill in that position at 95% the level as Harrisin for a third the money. Instead of being the #1 defense, we may be the 2nd or 3rd. I can live with that.

As far as B-Mac goes, he's made the rounds, but the offers don't seem to be rolling in. The only one I know of for sure is Pittsburgh's 5 year offer... Let's wait and see.

Moore and Hartwig were found on the bargain rack. Even if we had only extended BMAC last offseason, they were two guys we still could have brought in.

Yes, I do believe Harrison would be a star in any other defense running a 3-4. I have no doubt that me might leave, but to say that we could find someone to play at 95% of the level James has...when, since Lloyd retired, we haven't had anyone play that position even close to what James did last season is a huge stretch. Harrison is better than Joey Porter ever was...and it's not even close. If we take Harrison out of this defense, it will suffer a lot.

You're right about BMAC. I thought he would have been scooped up by now, but I wonder if Rosenhaus went for too much with him and it left him looking for what is left.

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 06:18 PM
No.

Next question.

gosteeler
03-05-2009, 06:27 AM
he was drafted to replace hines ward, hines is getting old and he will demand to much money and they will let him leave like every other veteran player

revefsreleets
03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I actually think Ward may retire next year. We'll see though...

BehindSteelCurtain
03-05-2009, 10:28 PM
I think when Ward's contract is up, I think he retires.

revefsreleets
03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
I mean he'll be in his mid-30's, with nothing left to prove. He's by all accounts a pretty sharp guy. He can probably step into the booth if he so deemed. Why hang out and watch it slip away, move to some scrub team just for a few more sheckles and tarnish his image?

lilyoder6
03-06-2009, 10:44 AM
then then the steelers could sign ward as an assistant wr coach.. :o

MasterOfPuppets
03-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I mean he'll be in his mid-30's, with nothing left to prove. He's by all accounts a pretty sharp guy. He can probably step into the booth if he so deemed. Why hang out and watch it slip away, move to some scrub team just for a few more sheckles and tarnish his image?i'm sure he's got the hall of fame in mind. the only people who think he's a lock "as is", are steeler homers. i think he needs 2 or 3 more solid seasons ( 1000 yds +), to even get nominated.

RJC
03-06-2009, 11:03 AM
People have romanticized Santonio Holmes so much since the Super Bowl. It's quite funny actually. Listen, the guy had a great post season. He made a ton of plays, and had a huge Super Bowl, but when you compare that run to his collective body of work and overall, it's just average. To me his the Steelers version of when the Pats had Deion Branch. He's a good WR, capable of making plays, but by no means a game breaker. He a very good WR, and I think when he goes into free agency he'll be allowed to test it where someone will overpay him big time, the same exact way the Seahawks did Branch...

MasterOfPuppets
03-06-2009, 07:05 PM
People have romanticized Santonio Holmes so much since the Super Bowl. It's quite funny actually. Listen, the guy had a great post season. He made a ton of plays, and had a huge Super Bowl, but when you compare that run to his collective body of work and overall, it's just average. To me his the Steelers version of when the Pats had Deion Branch. He's a good WR, capable of making plays, but by no means a game breaker. He a very good WR, and I think when he goes into free agency he'll be allowed to test it where someone will overpay him big time, the same exact way the Seahawks did Branch...well we got 1 more year to find out...... the problem is, if he has a huge year, considering all the other contracts pending, he'll most likely get the big checks from another team just like burress did. :doh: