PDA

View Full Version : Bungals sign Wide Out

steelerbackr4life
03-04-2009, 03:48 PM
A day after losing wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, the Cincinnati Bengals replaced him by reaching an agreement in principle with former New York Jets wide receiver Laveranues Coles.

NFL.com Video

Jets WR Laveranues Coles re-adjusts to a pass for a go-ahead TD catch vs. the Chiefs.
Coles agreed in principle to a four-year, $28 million deal, according to a source. Both sides still have to work on the language of the contract and the guarantees, but the money figures were acceptable to Coles.

For Coles, it was a victory. He turned down a $6 million guaranteed salary from the Jets. To obtain his freedom, Coles voided the final year of his Jets contract and became a free agent.

The Buffalo Bills were his first visit, but talks with the Bengals heated up over the weekend with the possibility of Houshmandzadeh leaving for the Seattle Seahawks. Coles visited the Bengals earlier this week but left without a contract.

The 31-year-old Colts caught 631 passes during his nine-year career with the Jets. He had 8,095 yards and 44 touchdown receptions during his career in New York.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

NJarhead
03-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Really??? Coles could have done better team-wise.

steelreserve
03-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Really??? Coles could have done better team-wise.

I think everyone involved in this deal could've done better in some respect.

Ahh well, that's the Bengals for you.

Preacher
03-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I wonder how he is going to feel being lit up twice a year by our DB's?

lilyoder6
03-04-2009, 04:16 PM
i guessing he didn't want to stay in division and see the jets or anyone twice a yr anymore..

WitchKing701
03-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Mr. Coles, meet Mr. Clark.

Crushzilla
03-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Welcome to Thunder Dome.

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I would have welcomed Coles as Nate's replacement.

But not for that price.

devilsdancefloor
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
poor guy doesnt know what he got himself into

ShutDown24
03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Coles...? What is with the Bengals infatuation with has-beens? Cedric Benson and now Coles...?

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 05:40 PM
"Name" FA's appease the fans.

Somebody's gotta fill the seats.

CantStop85
03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Woohoo...now just sign John Kuhn and Super Bowl here we come! :flap:

Coles...? What is with the Bengals infatuation with has-beens? Cedric Benson and now Coles...?

I don't see how Cedric Benson could be considered a has-been...he's 26 years old and just had his highest career rushing total last season.

And Coles may be getting older, but he's both cheaper and younger than TJ. If he can put up 70 catches, 850 yards, and 7 TD's like he did last season, he could be a fine #2. Now if we could just ship off Chad and sign a center I'd be happy. :wink02:

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 06:42 PM
We have Cincy fans around here?

Just get a Steelers jersey and join the winners.

You know you want to.

NEPAsteeler
03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
They can sign whoever they want. They'll still be the Bungles that we've all come to love and enjoy :flap: :chuckle: :sofunny:

Fire Haley
03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Only if Carson's magically regrown elbow guts don't pop.

Who is their back-up?

CantStop85
03-04-2009, 10:26 PM
With Fitzpatrick gone.......his evil spawn brother. Oh man if he has to play it's gonna be so good :tt:

Actually, it looks like it will be J.T. O'Sullivan:
Bengals expected to sign former 49ers QB O’Sullivan

Quarterback signings heated up Wednesday and it is likely to continue Thursday. The Bengals are expected to reach agreement with former 49ers starting quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan, who would take the place of Ryan Fitzpatrick, who signed with Buffalo.

It also would mark the second straight day Cincinnati has found a free-agent replacement for another player it lost.

After former Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh signed with Seattle, Cincinnati lured in Laveraneus Coles (as an aside, can the Bengals find a wideout whose name is easy to spell?) Now O’Sullivan could be next.

MasterOfPuppets
03-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Woohoo...now just sign John Kuhn and Super Bowl here we come! :flap:

I don't see how Cedric Benson could be considered a has-been...he's 26 years old : your absolutely correct.....he's much more of a NEVER been.......:flap:

ShutDown24
03-04-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't see how Cedric Benson could be considered a has-been...he's 26 years old and just had his highest career rushing total last season.

His best years (College) are behind him. Even at only 26 years old; Has-been.

As for being satisfied with Coles... Well, you are a Bengals fan so, hey, I guess that could get you excited :chuckle:

tony hipchest
03-04-2009, 11:10 PM

:danceshout:

STEELtownHAVOX
03-05-2009, 07:00 AM
At least the Bengals finally brought in a guy with good character.

HometownGal
03-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I would have welcomed Coles as Nate's replacement.

But not for that price.

Me too, but as you said, not at that price.

Coles is a good receiver with some nice speed but obviously has the brain power and common sense of a cob of corn by signing with the bottom feeders of the AFCN.

stlrtruck
03-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Me too, but as you said, not at that price.

Coles is a good receiver with some nice speed but obviously has the brain power and common sense of a cob of corn by signing with the bottom feeders of the AFCN.

Come on it's almost every NFL Players dream to be a saviour to the bottom feeders. Unfortunately for Coles, he forgot that it was the AFCN where the Steelers reign supreme and the only saviour in this division is Tomlin, Ben, Hines, Troy, Silverback, Woodley, et al. (I hope I used that properly).

Good luck coles and remember Ryan Clark wears #25!!!

Godfather
03-05-2009, 09:40 AM

My condolences. He was the backup to Aaron Brooks. AARON BROOKS.

Isn't Coles the guy who got kicked out of Florida State for paying $12 for $400 worth of Dillard's merchandise?? Perfect fit for Cincy :rofl:

revefsreleets
03-05-2009, 10:30 AM
So Coles signed with the Bungles, huh?

This was a lateral move on it's best day, but probably a step down.

How long before Coles starts getting coked up and starts shooting up strip joints at 3 AM? It is "The Bengal Way"...

Stlrs4Life
03-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Good signing by the Bungles. I thought he would sign with the Bills.

Galax Steeler
03-06-2009, 03:58 AM
At least the Bengals finally brought in a guy with good character.

Yea but that character will tarnish playing for the bungholes.

steelerdave1969
03-06-2009, 05:22 AM
Mr.Coles had all the right ingredients last season with Brett Favre to have a huge season and he didnt, good luck in Cincinnati is all I got to say. He has a pretty good QB throwing him the ball if he is healthy and I know that he has the talent to have some great numbers there the next few years, but again.. good luck to the Coles family..