PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Report: Martin Nance has potential to take over No. 3 receiver slot

mesaSteeler
03-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Steeler Report: Martin Nance has potential to take over No. 3 receiver slot
March 4, 8:37 AM Add a Comment

Matt Pawlikowski
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d4-Steeler-Report-Martin-Nance-has-potential-to-take-over-No-3-reciever-slot

Mike Prusita of the Tribune-Review had an interesting column about the departure of Nate Washington on Tuesday.

In it, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians gave Prusita some insight as to what will happen with the No. 3 slot.

"It'll be Limas, Martin Nance and whoever we draft, one of those cats," Arians said. "Limas has the ability to do it. He just has to continue to grow and be consistent. Hes shown the ability to get behind people and that was the No. 1 thing Nate gave us, the ability to stretch coverage."

The Sweed thing is no big secret, nor is getting a player in the draft. But Martin Nance raised an eyebrow. Just who is Martin Nance?

For starters, he played with Ben Roethlisberger at Miami where the two connected for 90 receptions, 1,498 yards and 11 touchdowns when he was a sophomore. His junior year got off to a great start with 25 receptions for 337 yards in four games. But the fifth game of the year he sustained a knee injury.

Nance bounced back in 2005 and had 81 receptions for 1,107 yards and 14 touchdowns. Impressive stats, but he proved to be unimpressive when it came time for the combine. Like Washington early in his career, he had trouble holding onto the ball there and ran just a 4.58.

So Nance was bypassed in the draft and signed by the Buffalo Bills as an undrafted free agent. He was waived, and then signed with the Minnesota Vikings.

During his rookie season, he only saw action in the final game against the St. Louis Rams, where he recorded 4 receptions for 33 yards. He was released and picked up by the Steelers on Sept. 9, when they released Micah Rucker from the practice squad. He would remain there all season.

One of the biggest downsides to Nance, was the fact he had trouble learning the Minnesota playbook. He finally grasped the offense last year in the pre season according to a story by the AP.

If given the opportunity to jell again with Roethlisberger, who knows what could happen? One scout has told the Examiner that he has very good-straight-line speed, can make plays vertically and in one -on -one situations wins the battle most of the time.

Perhaps Minnesota coach Brad Childress gives a better take on what the Steelers may have in Nance.

"He's a tall target, so the quarterbacks don't have any trouble finding him," Childress said. "He's got kind of sneaky speed. He's a long-stride guy and he can chew up some ground pretty quick on you."

HometownGal
03-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Well - let's see what this kid's got. Since Ben is very familiar with him, that could be a tremendous asset - IF the kid can knuckle down and learn the playbook.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I have always believed that the WR is one of the least important positions on the field............especially the #3 or #4 WR.

I think we can easily find 4 guys to dress on gameday between Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker, Nance and some rookies.

KeiselPower99
03-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Ben and him torched the MAC and I wouldnt be suprised if they didnt regain that magic if they played together. Remember he will be in the Preseason games with Dixon and the other 2 qbs. Put him with Ben and see what he has.

BlastFurnace
03-05-2009, 10:52 AM
It's not like we haven't been down this road before with developing undrafted talent.

Lets see what you have Nance. Our coaching staff has proven it's an open competition.

revefsreleets
03-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Wait a second....does that mean we signed Martin Nance?

That's really something. Ben's favorite college target is now a Steeler...that's good news.

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Wait a second....does that mean we signed Martin Nance?

That's really something. Ben's favorite college target is now a Steeler...that's good news.according to wilkpedia, he's been on the roster since september.....:noidea:

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed Nance to their practice squad on September 10, 2008. After finishing the season on their practice squad, he was re-signed on February 18, 2009.

revefsreleets
03-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Huh? How did this go unnoticed.

I actually thought we would DRAFT Nance (until I found out that his injury was worse than originally thought). Hope he can still ball...dude tore it up with Ben at Miami.

MasterOfPuppets
03-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Huh? How did this go unnoticed.

I actually thought we would DRAFT Nance (until I found out that his injury was worse than originally thought). Hope he can still ball...dude tore it up with Ben at Miami.
yeah the definitely snuck one by me...i thought dallas baker was on the PS all year....:doh:

Fire Haley
03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
"It'll be Limas, Martin Nance and whoever we draft, one of those cats," Arians said.

So we are definitely drafting a WR.

devilsdancefloor
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Lets hope it isnt the first round that we draft a WR.:doh:

steelerdave1969
03-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I think with the Steelers losing Nate Washington we will have to get another WR in the mid rounds atleast unless some big name falls to them that they cant pass up. I remember back when the Steelers signed Nance and wondered if he would get on the active roster, but as far as I know he didnt.

The Definiti0n
03-05-2009, 03:19 PM
wow another undrafted gem i.e. james harrison and willie parker

Galax Steeler
03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
wow another undrafted gem i.e. james harrison and willie parker

Lets hope he turns into a gem.:tt03:

CanadianSteel
03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Hopefully the WR we draft has some kick return ability as well..... kill 2 birds

paw-n-maul-u
03-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Nance has talent, before the combine I saw a slew of mock drafts that had him going somewhere on early day 2.

Chemistry is also underrated ... I'm sure ben and him have a pretty good rapport together and if sweed can't step it up, some real competition nippin at the heels will do them both well

paw-n-maul-u
03-05-2009, 06:35 PM
I would love to see heyward bay or percy harvin ... Harvin would immediatley upgrade our punt/kick return game.

No more davenport 22 yard line starts ... or garry russel TOPS 33 yard line starts.

Pair harvin and a ST's coach that can actually teach how to set up some blocks and make a wall and we could have a sweet return game.

Not to mention an absolute burner in the slot and in the open field ... get him 10 touches a game, mostly on special teams, and he could be a huge asset if you use him right.

don't get me wrong, i definitely want an OL or D-lineman ... but they are talking about having something like 15 total O and D linemen alone going in the first round. picking at one of those positions might be a huge reach.

the CB's stunk at the combine and the only two worth a sniff in the first round are davis and jenkins, probably both long gone.

LB? ... ehh, nah.

WR. obviously. and why not percy harvin or heyward bey? ... extend ward another couple years or so to finish out his career and pass on his legacy while coachin up the young guys. I wouldn't love the pick. But I sure would be excited about it.

right there with taht pick you don't have to worry about QB, WR, TE, or RB really for the next three or four years.

it seems with our FA moves that we have given ourselves enough flexibility to take BPA given that we could just enter next year with the same O-line (with only room to improve mind you)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Nance has talent, before the combine I saw a slew of mock drafts that had him going somewhere on early day 2.

Chemistry is also underrated ... I'm sure ben and him have a pretty good rapport together and if sweed can't step it up, some real competition nippin at the heels will do them both well

Yeah, I think a lot of boards had him pegged around 3rd or 4th round as he was a big target, playmaker, but ran something like a 4.6 40 yard dash. He hasnt shown anything yet, but I believe has been coming off an injury.

He will be competing with Dallas Baker and a rookie for the #4 job most likely.

Texasteel
03-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Man off season sucks. We are talking about whether a player that may compete for the #4 WR spot will make the team or not. :yawn:

Give It To Abercrombie
03-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I would love to see heyward bay or percy harvin ... Harvin would immediatley upgrade our punt/kick return game.

I've been reading reports that Percy Harvin is the biggest douchebag in the draft. His own teammates think he's a dick. Never met the guy, so I can't say but if that stuffs accurate you can cross him off the list, we won't even look.

siss
03-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I think him and Ben were room mates in college too.