PDA

View Full Version : Saints to release Mike Karney / FB. Any interest?

CargoJon
03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Saints are set to release Mike Karney. He's basically a road grader FB...but not a huge catch/run threat. Reminds me a lot of Dan Kreider honestly.

Might we have any interest?

SteelersTilIDie
03-05-2009, 07:25 PM
yeah he's a good fullback in the and a good blocker and don't underestimate his receiving/carrying skills

tony hipchest
03-05-2009, 07:30 PM
i think there would be much interest amongst alot of fans.

not sure there will be from the coaches though. gotta think he'd be an upgrade over c. davis although i think w. parker averages more ypr than the gale sayers like reggie bush.

Fire Haley
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
No, we are a finesse passing team now.

5 wide!

steelersfanman92
03-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I think he would be a good pick up if we dont get someone in the draft but he isnt a player that should be signed for much more than 1-2 mil

KeiselPower99
03-05-2009, 07:35 PM
God I hope so. Move McHugh to Te and let Karney block for Willie and Mendy.

CargoJon
03-05-2009, 07:35 PM
I think he would be a good pick up if we dont get someone in the draft but he isnt a player that should be signed for much more than 1-2 mil

Yeah I dont' think he'd be terribly high priced...

Preacher
03-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Aint no way.

If he can't catch out of the backfield, he is a waste of a roster spot. when he comes in, he signals one thing. RUN.

We went two years now without a road-grader fullback. As much as I would like one for the I formation... I also don't want an i formation which telecasts our plays.

CargoJon
03-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Aint no way.

If he can't catch out of the backfield, he is a waste of a roster spot. when he comes in, he signals one thing. RUN.

We went two years now without a road-grader fullback. As much as I would like one for the I formation... I also don't want an i formation which telecasts our plays.

He can catch the ball out of the backfield though. In 2006 he had 3 TD catches in a game against Dallas. He's just not asked to much, it's not his forte.

Preacher
03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
He can catch the ball out of the backfield though. In 2006 he had 3 TD catches in a game against Dallas. He's just not asked to much, it's not his forte.

And that is my point. Think how many times Davis was asked to catch the ball out of the backfield.

The years of the one-dimensional player on this team is over, thank goodness.

tony hipchest
03-05-2009, 11:04 PM
And that is my point. .
actually, i think your point was- ..."if he cant catch the ball out of the backfield".

karney proved himself for atleast a game or 2. c. davis has barely even shown to be able to catch 3 passes in 1 game (let alone score multiple td's).

personally, i think tomlin has a bit of loyalty to davis and his work ethic, but that definitely doesnt diminish what karney could contribute.

its a viable option.

Preacher
03-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Saints are set to release Mike Karney. He's basically a road grader FB...but not a huge catch/run threat. Reminds me a lot of Dan Kreider honestly.

actually, i think your point was- ..."if he cant catch the ball out of the backfield".

karney proved himself for atleast a game or 2. c. davis has barely even shown to be able to catch 3 passes in 1 game (let alone score multiple td's).

personally, i think tomlin has a bit of loyalty to davis and his work ethic, but that definitely doesnt diminish what karney could contribute.

its a viable option.

Actually I am just going by the first quote above. It isn't if he can just "catch the ball" but be a catch-run threat. Since I don't know the guy, I took from this post that the answer to that is probably, no.

The real question is, is he faster than Davis? Because Davis has shown that he CAN catch the ball. In that realm, everyone was upset at him because he couldn't get to the first down marker. SO he has to be able to run faster... and drag a few people wit him....

Hmmm... sounds like a Bettis argument in disguise! :chuckle:

Steelman16
03-05-2009, 11:41 PM
I've never been impressed with Carey Davis, and it's not like Davis does much anyway. What, one catch back to the line of scrimmage per game?

I'd go for Karney in an instant. He's a fantastic blocker. The Saints never needed him to catch much, but I think he has underrated hands for a guy of his build.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2009, 12:15 AM
I also don't want an i formation which telecasts our plays.

I think you mean "telegraph". Do you honestly have an idea how many different play action passes, counters, traps, screens, TE screens, double gives, etc. that you can run out of an I formation??

Before the snap of the ball if FWP is the single setback, or if he is behind a FB.........can you really forecast what the play is gonna be??? My bet is no.

Conversely, have you ever been just running the ball down a defenses throat and told the d lineman that the football is getting run right over his ass from the I formation........and there is nothing he can do about it?? Its actually something an O lineman finds completely satasfying.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2009, 12:17 AM
I dont think we will see Karney. I would actually not be surprised to see the name Ryan Powdrell on the 53-man roster in September.

Preacher
03-06-2009, 12:49 AM
I think you mean "telegraph". Do you honestly have an idea how many different play action passes, counters, traps, screens, TE screens, double gives, etc. that you can run out of an I formation??

Before the snap of the ball if FWP is the single setback, or if he is behind a FB.........can you really forecast what the play is gonna be??? My bet is no.

Conversely, have you ever been just running the ball down a defenses throat and told the d lineman that the football is getting run right over his ass from the I formation........and there is nothing he can do about it?? Its actually something an O lineman finds completely satasfying.

:laughing: oops.

On teh rest of it.. I was talking about running out of an I where we don't have a FB that can catch teh ball. Unless you have two STUD WR's, you'll quickly get the box filled up. If you can pass out of the I, including to the FB and HB, it spreads out the box a bit. takes less in the rush (1 or 2 have to cover the backs out of the backfield).

THAT was waht I was talking about.

When you are able to do that, you then can run up the middle on 7, instead of 9. It makes all teh difference in teh world.

Galax Steeler
03-06-2009, 03:42 AM
I say bring him in for a shot. Who knows he might be what we need around the goal lines.

stlrtruck
03-06-2009, 06:56 AM

I don't think so. With the way McHugh came on at the end of the season. He seems more versatile than Karney. But that's just my two cents and you can keep the change!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2009, 10:08 AM
:laughing: oops.

On teh rest of it.. I was talking about running out of an I where we don't have a FB that can catch teh ball. Unless you have two STUD WR's, you'll quickly get the box filled up. If you can pass out of the I, including to the FB and HB, it spreads out the box a bit. takes less in the rush (1 or 2 have to cover the backs out of the backfield).

THAT was waht I was talking about.

When you are able to do that, you then can run up the middle on 7, instead of 9. It makes all teh difference in teh world.

Preach, even with guys like Tim Lester, Jon Witman, Dan Kreider...you can still run play action to your TE and WR's. You can still run screens to the RB, you can still run counter toss plays, there are a ton of things you can do...........INCLUDING, run power football on short yardage situations.

I too would like a more versatile FB in the mold of John L Williams, William Henderson, Lorenzo Neal, etc. but I dont want a guy like Carey Davis that allegedly is a receiving threat but could not block a 6th grade LB on short yardage. We need a blocker for goal line and short yardage situations and if he can catch out of the backfield, its a bonus.

I would not mind seeing Conredge Collins, Tony Fiametta, Branden Southerland........but we might be fine with Ryan Powdrell next season.

CanadianSteel
03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Davis showed he can catch at the FB position but unfortunately he is like a big pillow after he does.... down to the grouind he goes with a nice soft landing..:doh:

CanadianSteel
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Davis showed he can catch at the FB position but unfortunately he is like a big pillow after he does.... down to the ground he goes with a nice soft landing..:doh:

steelreserve
03-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Honestly? We're already paying more than a million bucks to a guy we hope works out as a FB. I really don't think we're giving McHugh that kind of money to use him as the third-string tight end. I hope he works out, but it's not a guarantee. But if we look for a guy to come in and compete, I'd rather we just see if we can get a FB with a 6th or 7th round pick. For some reason, fullbacks are like kickers and punters; you hardly ever see teams draft one in the early rounds, so it's one of the few positions where you can be pretty sure you're getting a good player that low.

steelreserve
03-06-2009, 11:37 AM

Well, if it's Parker and a FB, you can at least tell there are two extra guys on the field who aren't going to catch a pass, so that kind of narrows down the choices.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I really don't think we're giving McHugh that kind of money to use him as the third-string tight end. .

BA likes to use a lot of 3 TE formations. McHugh is a much better blocker than Spaeth, so I would not consider him a 3rd string TE. He is versatile, a good blocker, and if you saw him play in Detroit...........actually a pretty decent receiver too.

But, McHugh is a bit too tall for a lead blocker. Again, keep an eye out for Ryan Powdrell in training camp. If healthy, he will replace Davis.

steelreserve
03-06-2009, 12:13 PM
BA likes to use a lot of 3 TE formations. McHugh is a much better blocker than Spaeth, so I would not consider him a 3rd string TE. He is versatile, a good blocker, and if you saw him play in Detroit...........actually a pretty decent receiver too.

Yeah .. come to think of it, I had high hopes for Spaeth when we drafted him, but he's really only been OK so far. His best quality is probably that he's a decent receiver for short routes, but he's kind of awkward after he catches the ball and absolutely no threat to break a big play. It's too early to write him off entirely, but I wonder if he doesn't end up being the odd man out.

But, McHugh is a bit too tall for a lead blocker. Again, keep an eye out for Ryan Powdrell in training camp. If healthy, he will replace Davis.

Well, I hope SOMEbody does. I don't really care which. Davis is versatile, but not very good at anything.

KeiselPower99
03-06-2009, 02:07 PM
If we get a FB then I really think Spaeth may see his playin time dwindle with McHugh coming back.

OneForTheToe
03-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Bruce Arians here: How are you all doing? A what kinda Back? A fu....l ...l back? Never hear of one. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2009, 12:24 AM
If we get a FB then I really think Spaeth may see his playin time dwindle with McHugh coming back.

I dont think so. I think that BA will still run a lot of 3 TE sets with a single RB. We might just see a guy like Powdrell in I formation lead blocking and in some play action sets too. But I dont expect to see the FB used more than it was.........maybe just more effectively.

steelreserve
03-07-2009, 05:53 AM
But I dont expect to see the FB used more than it was.........maybe just more effectively.

Well I hope so. All the fullback did this year was stand around being gay. Which, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with as a lifestyle choice if that's what he wants to do. But it does us no good on the football field.

steelerdave1969
03-07-2009, 07:16 AM

I wish the Steelers wether it be through the upcoming draft or during this free agency period that the Steelers would get a True FB for a Blocker, I dont care as much about the recieving part of it as long as the man Can Run Block and Pick Up Blitzes When Needed..

steelerdave1969
03-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Davis showed he can catch at the FB position but unfortunately he is like a big pillow after he does.... down to the ground he goes with a nice soft landing..:doh:

Couldnt have said it better myself :hatsoff: