PDA

View Full Version : Clinton gives Lavrov reset button with wrong Russian word

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton greeted Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Geneva Friday with a special present: a reset button inside a gift box with a ribbon.

It was the material expression of the symbolic gesture Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. made to Moscow in a speech in Munich last month, which was meant to mark a fresh start to U.S.-Russian relations under the Obama administration.

Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Lavrov pressed the button together at the beginning of their first meeting, and he said he would put in on his desk.

"I would like to present you with a little gift that represents what President Obama, Vice President Biden and I have been saying," Mrs. Clinton said. "We want to reset our relationship, and so we will do it together."

In addition to the red button on a black-and-yellow base, the State Department had written "reset" in English and what it thought was its Russian equivalent.

"We worked hard to get the right Russian word. Do you think we got it?" Mrs. Clinton asked Mr. Lavrov.

"You got it wrong," he said, adding that the word he was looking at meant "overcharge," though "overload" may be more precise.

"We won't let you do that to us," Mrs. Clinton replied, with everyone in the room laughing.
http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/kralev-diplomacy/2009/Mar/06/clinton-gives-lavrov-reset-button-with-wrong-russi/

Oops. :toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
:banging:

Amateur Hour.

I mean, what? No one in the entire White House can translate Russian? yeah, that fills me with loads of confidence.

NJarhead
03-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Amateur Hour.

I mean, what? No one in the entire White House can translate Russian? yeah, that fills me with loads of confidence.

Embarrassing.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-06-2009, 05:02 PM

Amateur Hour.

You think of all languages we would have a translator for it would be Russian. No military translator, no ambassador, nothing?

MACH1
03-06-2009, 05:23 PM
They got the buttons mixed up, the Overcharge button was meant for us.

NJarhead
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
You think of all languages we would have a translator for it would be Russian. No military translator, no ambassador, nothing?

Maybe the White House should have borrowed NASA's copy of Rosetta Stone. :chuckle:

NJarhead
03-06-2009, 05:26 PM
...or perhaps thumbed through this:

http://s3.tinypic.com/66epmc.jpg

:laughing:

MACH1
03-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Here ya go...

http://giovanniworld.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/biden_brain.jpg

:chuckle:

steelreserve
03-06-2009, 05:36 PM
On the bright side, at least it didn't say "You Homo" or anything like that.

NJarhead
03-06-2009, 05:40 PM
On the bright side, at least it didn't say "You Homo" or anything like that.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

True!

"Russian women are hookers" lol. That would have been much worse.

steelreserve
03-06-2009, 05:46 PM
"Russian women are hookers" lol. That would have been much worse.

Actually, they might take that as a compliment. At least if Borat is to be believed.

NJarhead
03-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Actually, they might take that as a compliment. At least if Borat is to be believed.

:laughing:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Too bad Borat was supposed to be from Kazakstan. :noidea:

steelreserve
03-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Too bad Borat was supposed to be from Kazakstan. :noidea:

So? Same thing. They all talk with funny accents in that part of the world. And have top-quality prostitutes.

steelwall
03-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Man that's just crazy.... You guys are cracking me up though...lol

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
http://xb5.xanga.com/b2dc7a5429632184787534/z141665321.jpg

http://leatherneckm31.typepad.com/leatherneckm31/images/2007/12/01/obama_borat_parody.jpg

SteelersMongol
03-06-2009, 08:40 PM

Amateur Hour.

Exactly. Just to think of all the languages...? :doh:

stlrtruck
03-09-2009, 06:52 AM
They got the buttons mixed up, the Overcharge button was meant for us.

Does that mean we get to "Reset" the Presidency?

Preacher
03-09-2009, 04:07 PM
I am surprised no one has spoken to the deeper and much scarier issue here.

Russia blocked the war in Iraq, double dealing in the Oil for Food scandal.

Then Russia invades a sovereign nation ONLY because they are talking about being a part of NATO.

They had a leader in Putin that moved the country half-way back to a dictatorship. Their people still need GOVERNMENT APPROVAL to move from one state to another.

Press freedom has been greatly eroded. . .

and yet, Obama wants to overlook all that and "reset" our relationship with Russia?

Great.

It really is amateur hour. And honestly, it is exactly what America deserves for being dumb enough to believe the guy.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
I would argue that Putin is still in charge in Russia...