PDA

View Full Version : Joey Galloway...

TampaSteelerFan
03-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Galloway will be in Pittsburgh for a visit with the Steelers on Monday. Anyone think he would be a good replacement for the Nate Washington spot for a year at least? He's pretty old but still fast as hell...

NJarhead
03-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Galloway will be in Pittsburgh for a visit with the Steelers on Monday. Anyone think he would be a good replacement for the Nate Washington spot for a year at least? He's pretty old but still fast as hell...

REALLY?

He's definitely slippery, even as an older guy.

tony hipchest
03-06-2009, 06:58 PM
he put up numbers that blew away nate just 2 seasons ago. last year he had 13 catches. if he's healthy he is an upgrade that probably comes cheaper than nates old contract and is worth a look-see.

i would like holt better but this could be good.

HometownGal
03-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Nope - not as a replacement for Nate, but maybe as a fill-in until Sweed and whoever the Steelers might draft this season come into their own (which I believe Sweed could very well do this season). Though he's been with a less than stellar team over the past couple of seasons (TB), I think Joey has slowed down some and is now a bit more injury prone than he was earlier in his career. If he'll sign a short term contract for vet minimum, why not?

The Duke
03-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Nope - not as a replacement for Nate, but maybe as a fill-in until Sweed and whoever the Steelers might draft this season come into their own

exactly

he'll work for awhile, if he's healthy. thing is, he was pretty banged up last season

we'll see. obviously the rooney's see something in him

steelreserve
03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
If we can get him for roughly the same amount we paid Nate last year ... I'd be glad to see this happen. With the exception of last year with the injury, it seems like he's had some of the best seasons of his pro career in the past few years. If he can do that again, he'd be a bargain.

GeneralRobinson
03-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Where is this being reported? The only news on Galloway is that New England and Buffalo have interviewed him.

Sharkissle29
03-06-2009, 07:56 PM
can't say im too excited about this, he is too old...

Nighthawk
03-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't want him, he'll bring us nothing except for good insurance

TampaSteelerFan
03-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Where is this being reported? The only news on Galloway is that New England and Buffalo have interviewed him.

I heard it from a buddy of mine who works for the Bucs and is tight with Galloway...that he definitely has a visit set up with the Steelers for this Monday. My buddy called to tell me this today because he knows I'm a Steeler fan and would be interested to know about it...so trust me its credible! It just hasn't been widely reported yet.

Personally I think he would be a good 1-yr fit for the Steelers, he is a deep ball threat just like Nate was, only Joey has better hands and is faster!

jasonhightower
03-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I want to see the Holt or Harrison door close before opening this one.

BlastFurnace
03-06-2009, 08:34 PM
What Joey still has is speed. What we lost with Nate was the deep threat because of his speed.

I wouldn't mind Joey being signed for 1 year. But, if Sweed can't cut it as a #3 this year, it will be a huge disappointment.

The guy that has me intrigued going into camp at WR is Martin Nance.

ShutDown24
03-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Galloway would make an excellent Steeler in my opinion.

BlastFurnace
03-06-2009, 08:41 PM
We tried to get him many years earlier from Seattle. We offered them our #1 for Galloway, but Jerry Jones offered two #1's for him.

austinfrench76
03-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Could me another Mwelde Moore type signing. He's older but could have some impact if needed.

steelwall
03-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I was waiting for his name to come up. Would be a decent insurance policy while we develope younger talent.

devilsdancefloor
03-06-2009, 09:10 PM
i think he would be a good steeler at vet minimum:wink02:

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
03-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I wud rather see a link first!

slashsteel
03-06-2009, 09:37 PM
I call bullshit. If Galloway was going to visit it would be linked to some story, it isn't like it is top secret. lol

Galax Steeler
03-06-2009, 10:35 PM
I call bullshit. If Galloway was going to visit it would be linked to some story, it isn't like it is top secret. lol

:thmbup:

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
03-06-2009, 10:37 PM
LIke I Said I wud Rather See A LInk This Shud Been Reported Sumwere!

KeiselPower99
03-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I guess we will find out Monday.

Justano
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM
cool id also rather get holt lol

BlastFurnace
03-06-2009, 10:48 PM

I can think of times where someone came in and it was never announced. Happens every year. That's nothing new for the Steelers.

jjpro11
03-07-2009, 12:19 AM
if its true then i certainly wouldnt mind.. the organization obviously knows which players to sign in free agency.

BrandonCarr39
03-07-2009, 01:28 AM

He played here in Dallas from '00 to '03...he was pretty injury-prone back then.

Who knows though-if he's only the #3/#4 situational guy, not only he'll stay healthy, but also will be very effective as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2009, 01:31 AM
IF he is coming for a visit, he would be great for vet minimum to play the #3 or #4 WR. Galloway is a true pro and a guy that works as hard as anybody.

That is one vet I would not mind seeing at the right price. All he would do is catch 3 balls a game, so injury history not a concern.

tony hipchest
03-07-2009, 01:56 AM
He played here in Dallas from '00 to '03...he was pretty injury-prone back then.

Who knows though-if he's only the #3/#4 situational guy, not only he'll stay healthy, but also will be very effective as well.

FALSE-

the cowboys traded for an injured player who missed most of his first season but started 46 of 47 games after that.

they then let him go to the bucs where he blew away his numbers put up in dallas in 3 of his 45 years.

his numbers simply show that he has had injuries and is not injury prone.

http://www.nfl.com/players/joeygalloway/profile?id=GAL752888

he is old, but what he did between 05-07 cannot be ignored.

steelreserve
03-07-2009, 06:50 AM
:link:!

You know, I was looking through the smilies yesterday trying to find the jerkoff one :jerkit: and saw the smilie-pumping-a-link-sign and wondered why I'd never seen it in actual use before. What a coincidence that it happened on the very next day.

Also, penis. :jerkit::jerkit::jerkit:

Galax Steeler
03-07-2009, 06:55 AM
If this is true then why not bring him in if he is cheap enough but I would like to see a link.

Texasteel
03-07-2009, 06:55 AM
We wouldn't be getting a young Galloway, but won't be paying for one either. I think Joey can still play a little, besides I wouldn't mind having him here to work with Sweed. He and Ward might be able to build a pretty good receiver.

steelerdave1969
03-07-2009, 08:09 AM
You know, I was looking through the smilies yesterday trying to find the jerkoff one :jerkit: and saw the smilie-pumping-a-link-sign and wondered why I'd never seen it in actual use before. What a coincidence that it happened on the very next day.

Also, penis. :jerkit::jerkit::jerkit:

Too much time on your hands bud... :chuckle:

I wouldnt mind the Steelers bringin him in and getting a look at him and see what the guy has left...

Stan Smith
03-07-2009, 08:30 AM
Think he's too old and would cost too much...

The Duke
03-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Think he's too old and would cost too much...

NO ONE is going to give him a big contract at this points. Joey knows, his agent knows it

he is likely brought in for vet minimum....oops :chuckle:

Havik
03-07-2009, 11:03 AM
I was a big fan of Joey Galloway when he played at OSU. I'd bring him in for the vet minimum. The Steelers would get depth at WR, and Galloway would get to play for the best franchise in the NFL and possibly win another ring.

MasterOfPuppets
03-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Looks like a patriot kinda guy to me.....old and cheap

Veteran WR Joey Galloway visits Patriots
Email|Link|Comments (57) Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff March 4, 2009 11:30 PM

The Patriots have one of the strongest 1-2 wide receiver combinations in the NFL with Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

But whos No. 3?

The Patriots explored one possibility on a Wednesday free-agent visit at Gillette Stadium veteran Joey Galloway.

The 37-year-old Galloway has traditionally been regarded for his speed and high yards-per-catch average. Over his 14 seasons with Seattle (1995-99), Dallas (2000-2003) and Tampa Bay (2004-2008), hes averaged 15.5 yards per reception.

Last year, he appeared in nine games, with just four starts, and was limited to 13 catches for 138 yards.

The Patriots' depth at receiver took a hit when Jabar Gaffney -- the No. 3 option in 2008 -- signed with the Broncos.

Fire Haley
03-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Pats took a look and turned him away, what's that tell you?

He's 37 and the deep speed is gone.

Next.

MasterOfPuppets
03-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Pats took a look and turned him away, what's that tell you?

He's 37 and the deep speed is gone.

Next.

i think it BS anyway....theres not 1 source on the net that mentions him and the steelers in the same article,....except here..:doh:

Fire Haley
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Here's a better choice, Derrick Mason.

Derrick Mason's demands may end his run with Baltimore Ravens

At 35 years-old, Baltimore Ravens receiver, Derrick Mason, wants a contract extension. And if he is denied one, he says he’ll ask for his release.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2962-Baltimore-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d6-Derrick-Masons-demands-may-end-his-run-with-Baltimore-Ravens

MasterOfPuppets
03-07-2009, 12:37 PM

At 35 years-old, Baltimore Ravens receiver, Derrick Mason, wants a contract extension. And if he is denied one, he says hell ask for his release.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2962-Baltimore-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d6-Derrick-Masons-demands-may-end-his-run-with-Baltimore-Ravenshe'll get it. mason IS bmores passing game...they'd be screwed without him.

Fordy
03-07-2009, 12:47 PM
IF he is coming for a visit, he would be great for vet minimum to play the #3 or #4 WR. Galloway is a true pro and a guy that works as hard as anybody.

That is one vet I would not mind seeing at the right price. All he would do is catch 3 balls a game, so injury history not a concern.

Sounds like he could be a Courtney Hawkins type. Veteran with good hands. Pretty dependable but nothing spectacular. I wouldnt mind him as the 4th WR and 3RD if Limas cant get it done.

TampaSteelerFan
03-07-2009, 01:29 PM
The source is just as good as any link (a friend of Joey's who works for the Bucs and talks to Joey all the time)....all you haters will believe me by Monday! Besides, why the hell would I make up a story about Joey Galloway of all people making a free agent visit? I'd like to think I have better things to do then that.

:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Sounds like he could be a Courtney Hawkins type. Veteran with good hands. Pretty dependable but nothing spectacular. I wouldnt mind him as the 4th WR and 3RD if Limas cant get it done.

Yeah, kind of Courtney Hawkins........only a guy that had 4.3 speed and was a bona fide deep threat. He still can move well and I bet he is faster than Hines Ward by a long shot.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
03-07-2009, 03:41 PM
I Will have to see it to believe come monday tampa steeler fan!

HughC
03-07-2009, 08:42 PM
The thing with Joey Galloway is that aside from the positives - forget his age, he still has blazing speed, and very good hands - he's rather one dimensional. He's not a very good downfield blocker, so having him on the field is like telling the defense "hey, we're going to pass the ball!" As far as agreeing to play for the vet minimum, the fact that he visited and left two other teams without a contract tells me he is looking to make more than that. The only questions remaining are how much more, and is he worth it?

Galax Steeler
03-08-2009, 08:12 AM

At 35 years-old, Baltimore Ravens receiver, Derrick Mason, wants a contract extension. And if he is denied one, he says hell ask for his release.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2962-Baltimore-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d6-Derrick-Masons-demands-may-end-his-run-with-Baltimore-Ravens

I would rather have him but it ain't going to happen.

Steely McSmash
03-08-2009, 11:38 AM
According to Galloway's wikipedia page he's from Bellaire, OH which is on I-70 just past the WV panhandle. only 1.5 hrs from Pittsburgh. Maybe he's like to finish up close to home, be near family etc?

He may be shopping teams to see how much playing time he's get from them. Not sure that the Patsies really have a need for him as a speed guy. They maybe need a really good route runner to complement Moss and Welker.

Vincent
03-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Joey is, as they say in the business, ode. If they go after ode people, I'd prefer Holt as well.

MDSteel15
03-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Personally I think he would be a good 1-yr fit for the Steelers, he is a deep ball threat just like Nate was, only Joey has better hands and is faster!

Totally agree with this... :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
03-09-2009, 04:32 AM
I guess we will see today if this thread holds true.

Steelers & I
03-09-2009, 06:18 AM
According to Galloway's wikipedia page he's from Bellaire, OH which is on I-70 just past the WV panhandle. only 1.5 hrs from Pittsburgh. Maybe he's like to finish up close to home, be near family etc?

He may be shopping teams to see how much playing time he's get from them. Not sure that the Patsies really have a need for him as a speed guy. They maybe need a really good route runner to complement Moss and Welker.

That's exactly what I was thinking Steely. That along with the fact that Galloway and several other former OSU Buckeye players spend a lot of their off-season time in Columbus, Ohio, a short 3 hour drive from Pittsburgh.

I don't know what Galloway has left but I would rather see him on the Steelers sideline as opposed to Dallas Baker or ????. Hell I can't even name the Steelers 5th string WR????

I believe that the information is legit. If the Steelers want Galloway, then they're probably going to get him.

Steelers & I
03-09-2009, 06:21 AM
The source is just as good as any link (a friend of Joey's who works for the Bucs and talks to Joey all the time)....all you haters will believe me by Monday! Besides, why the hell would I make up a story about Joey Galloway of all people making a free agent visit? I'd like to think I have better things to do then that.

:thumbsup:

I for one believe you Tampa. It just makes TOO MUCH SENSE! :drink:
This potential signing actually crossed my mind 2 weeks ago and it sounded feasible to me.

BlastFurnace
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Gary Dulac was just on the radio and confirmed that Joey is probably coming in for a visit.

Looks like our inside source had it right.

iceman000123
03-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Gary Dulac was just on the radio and confirmed that Joey is probably coming in for a visit.

Looks like our inside source had it right.

Which means we might be picking him up. I don't necessarily see any harm done by bringing him in for at least one year to see what he still has to offer. We won't pay that much for him so we might as well give him a chance. That just depends on how interested we are in him.
:coffee:

BlastFurnace
03-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd take him in a heartbeat. The guy can still play.

iceman000123
03-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I'd take him in a heartbeat. The guy can still play.

Thats what I believe to. He might be old but guess what.. Hines Ward is old and look at what he did last year. So put so and so together and
:tt:

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Thats what I believe to. He might be old but guess what.. Hines Ward is old and look at what he did last year. So put so and so together and
:tt:dude....hines ward is far from 38 !!! :laughing:

jjpro11
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up TS.

Joey Galloway-WR- Buccaneers Mar. 9 - 11:03 am et

Free agent WR Joey Galloway is visiting the Steelers on Monday.
This is surprising. It looks like the team is having second thoughts about handing Limas Sweed the deep-threat, third receiver role left vacant by Nate Washington's departure. Of course, it doesn't mean much until a move is made.
Source: P

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Bucs released WR Joey Galloway.
Galloway, 37, fell off the game-day roster last year after battling injuries all offseason and losing his starting job to Antonio Bryant. His release was inevitable and saves Tampa Bay a little bit of cap room.

Like Marvin Harrison, Galloway is going to struggle to find a job. His body is probably breaking down and he has little experience outside a West Coast offense.

Year Team G Rec Yds

2005 TB 16 83 1287
2006 TB 16 62 1057
2007 TB 15 57 1014
2008 TB 9 13 138

Free agent Joey Galloway told Sirius NFL Radio Wednesday that he "absolutely" intends to play football in 2009.

"I feel great," he said. "I’ve started working out, preparing myself. I’m looking forward to the new challenge." It's hard to say what Galloway has left because he hardly played last season, but we're guessing it's not much.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=260

Maybe 2008 was a fluke and he has something left - we'll find out shortly.

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Wide receiver Joey Galloway to visit Steelers
Buzz up!
By The Tribune-Review Monday, March 9, 2009

Wide receiver Joey Galloway, an unrestricted free agent, is meeting with the Steelers today at their South Side facility.

The 14th-year veteran played sparingly for the Buccaneers last season and caught 13 passes for 138 yards in nine games. Galloway, 37, has over 10,000 career receiving yards.

The Steelers have a need at wide receiver with the loss of Nate Washington, who signed with the Titans last season.

Galloway is the first free agent to visit the Steelers.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_615175.html

never doubted ya for a minute bro...:thumbsup: ........this is for all you haters..:moon:...........................:nervous:

KeiselPower99
03-09-2009, 12:40 PM
WOOHOO a free agent visit!!!!!!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I'd howl if we signed him and he became the punt returner too. :rofl: The guy can return kicks, but the thought of having a 37 year old kick returner is just fantastic.

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Since I don't follow the Bucs I had no idea how much their fans liked him.

Joey Galloway Appreciation Thread

Galloway was our MVP on offense for about 3 seasons. Without him, we would have had nothing on offense.

Unfortunately, Galloway got an undeserved bad rap by stupid, fickle fans because he couldn't dominate games by himself.

Good luck Joey, you're all class.

http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=172155

alittlejazzbird
03-09-2009, 01:20 PM
On the one hand, if we could get him for vet minimum and he's as good as what's out there on the free agent market, maybe. But a 37-year old WR missing 7 games due to injury last year would concern me a lot if I were Kevin Colbert.

On the other hand, he had a 1,000-yard season in 2007, which isn't too shabby for someone getting up there in years.

From what I've read, he was popular with fans in Tampa and he seems to fit the Steeler profile of a high-character guy.

Coach Tomlin has a soft spot for guys he's worked with in the past, and it makes me wonder if this visit is part genuine interest and part courtesy to Joey. The Pats and the Bills passed on him -- of course, the Bills were aiming MUCH higher, as we now know :wink02: -- so it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

MaidenIndiana
03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
There is no downside to this potential move. Yeah he's 37, but if we sign him it will be for the minimum. It's not like we're going to base the offense around him. He still has the speed to give us a deep threat. And as was stated earlier, him and Ward working with Sweed can only benefit us in the long run. I say go for it.

tony hipchest
03-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Galloway, 37, fell off the game-day roster last year after battling injuries all offseason and losing his starting job to Antonio Bryant. His release was inevitable and saves Tampa Bay a little bit of cap room. Like Marvin Harrison, Galloway is going to struggle to find a job. His body is probably breaking down and he has little experience outside a West Coast offense.Source: St. Petersburg Times

:huh: what about when he was catching bombs from warren moon up in seattle?

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 01:32 PM
There is no downside to this potential move. Yeah he's 37, but if we sign him it will be for the minimum. It's not like we're going to base the offense around him. He still has the speed to give us a deep threat. And as was stated earlier, him and Ward working with Sweed can only benefit us in the long run. I say go for it. there most certainly is a downside......the downside is taking up a roster spot, that could be used for a young player with upside. galloway is a stopgap....the key word is STOP...as in stop trying to find a future starter.

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
WOOHOO a free agent visit!!!!!!!!

I think that pretty much says it all.

MaidenIndiana
03-09-2009, 01:37 PM
there most certainly is a downside......the downside is taking up a roster spot, that could be used for a young player with upside. galloway is a stopgap....the key word is STOP...as in stop trying to find a future starter.

Taking up a roster spot that will more than likely be used by rookie or second year player who might have potential vs. using that spot for proven veteren. For one year I say do it

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Taking up a roster spot that will more than likely be used by rookie or second year player who might have potential vs. using that spot for proven veteren. For one year I say do it and that way of thinking is why they've been stuck paying max starks over 15 million the last 2 years. :doh:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-09-2009, 03:03 PM
i live in the tampa area, so i've watched galloway for a few seasons here...

IF he is healthy, and he came for a discounted price, he would be an absolute STEAL - the kind of player the steelers grab in free agency that is talented and cost effective.

the previous 3 seasons he put up outstanding numbers, playing with mediocre qb's. if arians wants to run the 3 wide set, trust me, galloway could put up terrific numbers if his health allows him.

he has better hands than nate...runs better routes...has great speed. this excites me, but i'll believe it when i see it.

he has also visited new england and buffalo, yet didn't sign. at the time buffalo was desperate for a receiver (before T.O.) and new england makes smart decisions. wonder why neither of those 2 teams nabbed him?

health and money are the issues...

TampaSteelerFan
03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_615175.html

never doubted ya for a minute bro...:thumbsup: ........this is for all you haters..:moon:...........................:nervous:

Thanks man! I never imagined me posting about Galloway's visit a few days in advance would cause such a stir! :drink:

Galax Steeler
03-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I say lets sign him for the min. it couldn't hurt.

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Only if we get a huge Super Bowl Champions discount.

Harrison92
03-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Galloway is still in good shape so I think he would be an asset.

jjpro11
03-09-2009, 04:25 PM
there most certainly is a downside......the downside is taking up a roster spot, that could be used for a young player with upside. galloway is a stopgap....the key word is STOP...as in stop trying to find a future starter.

while i normally agree with that approach, this situation would be the exception. we have a super bowl winning roster right now.. if you can immediately improve that team at the expense of a prospect, then you do it... the window of opportunity closes just as fast as it opens. we are not building a team, the team is already built. i think it would be great if we got him because sweed is still a huge question mark and we are in a position to win now more so than later.

HughC
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Congratulations on the scoop. I'll admit I was sceptical, but willing to wait a day and see. I do believe there are several folks that owe you an apology.

In regards to all the "sign him for the vet minimum" talk, I think we're being a bit unrealistic. A player at his age is just as likely to be looking for one last payday. Obviously Galloway, or any player, would prefer to play for a team that has a legitimate chance of winning the title. With all else being equal, most will choose the team expected to contend over one that is not. But I think we're being a bit delusional in our beliefs that so many are willing to take the physical pounding that an NFL player endures and accept hundreds of thousands, or even millions of fewer dollars in exchange for the opportunity (with no guarantee) of going to the Super Bowl.

TampaSteelerFan
03-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Congratulations on the scoop. I'll admit I was sceptical, but willing to wait a day and see. I do believe there are several folks that owe you an apology..

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt at least... I wish some others had at least waited till today to see if I was right before calling BS...And those people know who they are! :chuckle:

Preacher
03-09-2009, 05:12 PM
:huh: what about when he was catching bombs from warren moon up in seattle?

Yep.

He was quite impressive back then.

Heck, I remember one time when he was on the ST's, Seattle punted the ball. THe camera followed the ball in the air. As it panned down to see the opposing team receiving the ball. . .

It was Joey Galloway standing there as if HE was the punt receiver. Arms down, relaxed. Just getting ready to catch it.

Wow he was fast back in the day.

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Congratulations on the scoop. I'll admit I was sceptical, but willing to wait a day and see. I do believe there are several folks that owe you an apology.

In regards to all the "sign him for the vet minimum" talk, I think we're being a bit unrealistic. A player at his age is just as likely to be looking for one last payday. Obviously Galloway, or any player, would prefer to play for a team that has a legitimate chance of winning the title. With all else being equal, most will choose the team expected to contend over one that is not. But I think we're being a bit delusional in our beliefs that so many are willing to take the physical pounding that an NFL player endures and accept hundreds of thousands, or even millions of fewer dollars in exchange for the opportunity (with no guarantee) of going to the Super Bowl.
well here's what we know...he visited buffalo, who doesn't appear to be a threat as a contender, soooo i doubt he has a sb ring in mind...he left with no deal. he visits new england, who loves to recycle old players, because they're cheap....again no deal. to me this suggest he may be asking for a bit too much coin. if a ring was part of his agenda, then i doubt he'd have visited buffalo, and probably would've jumped on THE CHEATER'S OFFER. of course thats assumming there were offers. maybe the teams questioned his health.

tony hipchest
03-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Yep.

He was quite impressive back then.

Heck, I remember one time when he was on the ST's, Seattle punted the ball. THe camera followed the ball in the air. As it panned down to see the opposing team receiving the ball. . .

.remember the sun. or mon. night game where he caught like 4 td's and about 200 yds from moon? they were fun to watch. very few threw a prettier ball than warren and galloway was perfect for his skills.

like MOP, im still scratching my head why he isnt a patriot. maybe he just told them he wants to visit with the steelers first and he'd get back with them. maybe he decided he just doesnt wanna work with a bunch of dicks.

anyways if we can get him for less than we paid nate and hes able to run, its an upgrade, and shaves off the cap.

a good solid move like when we signed terrence mathis for 1 year (his experience probably makes him more valuable as a possible back up for any of the x-y-z positions, as opposed to sweeeeed).

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2009, 06:32 PM
well here's what we know...he visited buffalo, who doesn't appear to be a threat as a contender, soooo i doubt he has a sb ring in mind...he left with no deal. he visits new england, who loves to recycle old players, because they're cheap....again no deal. to me this suggest he may be asking for a bit too much coin. if a ring was part of his agenda, then i doubt he'd have visited buffalo, and probably would've jumped on THE CHEATER'S OFFER. of course thats assumming there were offers. maybe the teams questioned his health.

Yeah, what did the Titans sign 36 year old Eric Moulds for back in 2007?? I bet it wasnt much. Not always a big market on old veteran WR's that dont wanna retire. $1.5 million for Galloway seems about right.

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
maybe he decided he just doesnt wanna work with a bunch of dicks.
. :doh: could it be that obvious ?

mesaSteeler
03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Adding Galloway would make sense
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/2009/03/adding-galloway-would-make-sense.html

When wide receiver Joey Galloway was released a couple of weeks ago by the Tampa Bay Bucs, I have to admit, I didn't see how the Steelers could be interested in a 37-year-old receiver who played in just nine games last season.

But with the Steelers bringing him in for a visit Monday, I began thinking about why they would be interested and it started to make sense.

First, Galloway won't be looking for any kind of long-term deal or big money. Those days are long past him.

The Bellaire, Ohio, native, would also get a chance to come back to his hometown area - it's located just across the Ohio River from Wheeling, W. Va. to finish off what has been a solid career while keeping the Steelers from relying solely on Limas Sweed as their No. 3.

Then there is the facat that as a former Ohio State star, he carries instant credibility with Santonio Holmes and could help further Holmes' maturation into a No. 1 receiver.

And finally, he also wouldn't challenge Hines Ward's "leader of the wideouts" role that he has given himself. The leader as he is affectionately called by the media likes to run the show with the receivers. Galloway won't challenge that.

In retrospect, after thinking about all of those things, this is a visit I should have seen coming.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 1:41 PM

mesaSteeler
03-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Steeler report:Steelers host wide receiver Joey Galloway
March 9, 4:22 PM Add a Comment
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d9-Steeler-reportSteelers-host--wide-receiver-Joey-Galloway

Pittsburgh - The Steelers hosted a first free-agent on Monday, and it wasn't a cornerback.

Instead, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Joey Galloway visited team headquarters and is being looked at as a potential replacement for Nate Washington, who signed with the Titans last week.

Galloway, 37, visited the Buffalo Bills and also the New England Patriots, who are also in need of a No. 3 wide-out. Although in his late 30's, he still has good speed and is a potential deep threat every time he is on the field.

If the Steelers like what they see, they may have an edge over the Pats in signing the 14 year veteran. That's because there may be comfort zone. Head coach Mike Tomlin, was the Buccaneers secondary coach.

Galloway is a former 1995 No. 1 draft choice of the Seattle Seahawks, but only played in nine games last year for the Bucs because he had a foot injury. He had 13 catches for 138 yards and no touchdowns.

However, in 2007 he played in 15 games making 57 receptions for 1,014 yards and six touchdowns.He was also named a Pro Bowl alternate.

He is also just the second player to have three seasons of 1,000 yards with two different teams he did it in 1995 and 1997-98 with Seattle, and has averaged a touchdown every 8.9 receptions throughout his 14-year career.

Season Team Recept. Yards Avg Long TD
1995 Seattle 67 1039 15.5 59 7
1996 Seattle 57 987 17.3 65 7
1997 Seattle 72 1049 14.6 53 12
1998 Seattle 65 1047 16.1 81 10
1999 Seattle 22 335 15.2 48 1
2000 Dallas 4 62 15.5 22 1
2001 Dallas 52 699 13.4 47 3
2002 Dallas 61 908 14.9 80 6
2003 Dallas 34 672 19.8 64 2
2004 Buccaneers 33 416 12.6 36 5
2005 Buccaneers 83 1287 15.5 80 10
2006 Buccaneers 62 1057 17.0 64 7
2007 Buccaneers 57 1014 17.8 69 6
2008 Buccaneers 13 138 10.6 22 0
Totals 682 10710 15.7 81 77

Source of stats: Tampa Bay Buccaneers

GBMelBlount
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Galloway, 37, visited the Buffalo Bills and also the New England Patriots, who are also in need of a No. 3 wide-out. Although in his late 30's, he still has good speed and is a potential deep threat every time he is on the field.

He could be a good fit if the price is right.

PisnNapalm
03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Hmm..... So Sweed isn't gonna be up to speed? Is that what we're being told?

Sharkissle29
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM
i thought we already had a galloway thread? :noidea:

oh well

i for one like the different threads, i get lost when threads get too long, it makes it hard to find info.

GBMelBlount
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
i thought we already had a galloway thread? :noidea:

oh well

I read that thread on my old internet. I'm reading this on my new comcast internet. So their totally different imo......but apparently the Mods still have the same old internet. :chuckle:

Sharkissle29
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
i for one like the different threads, i get lost when threads get too long, it makes it hard to find info.

but my opinion doesnt matter...

lilyoder6
03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
i been gone too long.. i have no idea whats going on

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm guessing no news is bad news.

The pigeon has flown the coop, I say again, the pigeon has flown the coop.

rick723
03-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Joey is, as they say in the business, ode. If they go after ode people, I'd prefer Holt as well.

Do you mean old?:banging:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Is it true he still runs a 4.3

nort10
03-10-2009, 10:15 AM
http://news.steelers.com/article/103885/

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Galloway visits Steelers, could be No. 3 receiver

Tuesday, March 10, 2009
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Joey Galloway is the first free agent the Steelers have entertained since free agency began Feb. 27, and he won't be the last.

Galloway, 37, visited the Steelers offices yesterday as the team began its search to find replacements for departed free agents, and more are expected to follow tomorrow.

After losing No. 3 receiver Nate Washington to the Tennessee Titans in free agency, the Steelers are looking at Galloway as insurance because they don't have any experienced wide receivers behind starters Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes.

A former No. 1 draft choice of the Seattle Seahawks in 1995, Galloway played five seasons in Tampa Bay, two of which while Mike Tomlin was the Buccaneers' secondary coach. Galloway has had six 1,000-yard receiving seasons in his 14-year NFL career, including three in a row from 2005-07 with the Buccaneers.

However, he was limited to 13 catches, 138 yards and no touchdowns in nine games last season because of a foot injury.

That, and his age -- Galloway will be 38 in November -- will likely limit his ability to get something other than a one-year contract for the veteran minimum. Galloway visited two other teams last week -- the New England Patriots and Buffalo Bills -- after being released by the Buccaneers as part of a salary-cap purge.

The Steelers are hoping to persuade him he can be part of an opportunity to make another run at a Super Bowl championship. But they are convinced Galloway, who has been clocked at 4.3 in the 40-yard dash, still has the speed to be a viable part of their offense.

revefsreleets
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
If nothing else, a guy like this will help challenge Sweed, Nance, Baker and whoever else is in the running. Worst thing that can happen is the guy can still ball and wins the spot...

IamTheSteelGod
03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Sign sign sign! he fast as... and a top rate WR.

revefsreleets
03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
You can never have enough high quality Buckeye WR's on your team:applaudit:

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Go BUCKEYES!!

Edman
03-10-2009, 12:52 PM
It's not like JG is going to be borught in to take over the WR core. I just want a capable role player that can be relied on. Like Mewelde Moore.

4xSBChamps
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Galloway visits Steelers, could be No. 3 receiver

The Steelers are hoping to persuade him he can be part of an opportunity to make another run at a Super Bowl championship. But they are convinced Galloway, who has been clocked at 4.3 in the 40-yard dash, still has the speed to be a viable part of their offense.

I heard a sports/talk show out-of Tampa this AM, and something was said that the Steelers were 'impressed with Galloway's speed at yesterday's work-out' :
that was the tail-end of that discussion, and I haven't heard anything-else lately.

:noidea:

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Joey Galloway-WR- Buccaneers Mar. 10

The Steelers are reportedly "convinced" that free agent Joey Galloway can still run well enough to be a useful receiver.

Pittsburgh is only expected to offer a one-year deal for the veteran minimum, but Galloway won't get much more anywhere else. Galloway has already visited the Patriots. New England would give him a better chance to start.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

Dino 6 Rings
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Galloway to Replace Washington

That could actually be an improvement. I like the idea of that even though I want Holt.

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Holmes
Ward
Galloway
Holt
Sweed

I can dream.

5 WIDE!!!

mcmac
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
If he want's a ring he better sign here.

AllD
03-10-2009, 02:58 PM
X________________________________ Joey Galloway

WeegiesWarriors
03-10-2009, 03:28 PM
I remember him at Bellaire in HS. A man among boys. Would be nice to see him come full circle and finish it out a few miles from the field it started on.

Petesburgh66
03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Joey Galloway-WR- Buccaneers Mar. 10

The Steelers are reportedly "convinced" that free agent Joey Galloway can still run well enough to be a useful receiver.

Pittsburgh is only expected to offer a one-year deal for the veteran minimum, but Galloway won't get much more anywhere else. Galloway has already visited the Patriots. New England would give him a better chance to start.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/pla...aspx?sport=NFL

* would give a better chance for Joey to start? What assclown at rotoworl wrote this? Moss and Welker are 1 and 2 on the * WR depth charts. Hence, Joey would be the third WR on the *, just like if he signs with the Steelers.

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Pats offense plays the 3 WR set.

lilyoder6
03-10-2009, 04:01 PM
i think a chance to get back to the SB would be nice

The Duke
03-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Pats offense plays the 3 WR set.

Nate was on the field almost all the time, so I'd say the steelers kinda play the 3 WR set too

difference is, on the pats he'd get more targets

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Nate was on the field almost all the time, so I'd say the steelers kinda play the 3 WR set too

Steelers base offense is 2WR and Heath.

Of course, since we are a finesse passing team now I'd favor more 5 WIDE!! sets.

Offense wins SBs.

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2009, 05:38 PM

Of course, since we are a finesse passing team now I'd favor more 5 WIDE!! sets.

Offense wins SBs.
maybe when they used to have a fullback, now its 2 TE'S or 3 WR'S

Preacher
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Offense wins SBs.

Sure did this year.

Thank goodness we finally had an offense that could put it together when needed. If not, the cards offense, would have won it after 3 and a 1/2 quarters of superb defensive play.

Yes, it is true, now a days, offense DOES win superbowls.

Dino 6 Rings
03-10-2009, 05:47 PM
If he wants to be on a winning team, he should come to Pittsburgh.

Bottom Line. The Steelers are number 1 in my signature. Best Team Ever!

Galax Steeler
03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
If he wants to be on a winning team, he should come to Pittsburgh.

Bottom Line. The Steelers are number 1 in my signature. Best Team Ever!

I second that.:drink:

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Yes, it is true, now a days, offense DOES win superbowls.

I should amend that....Big Ben wins SB's.

That's why we need to protect our $100M QB.

Imagine how much better he can be.

OL
OL
OL

The_WARDen
03-11-2009, 09:35 AM
I should amend that....Big Ben wins SB's.

That's why we need to protect our $100M QB.

Imagine how much better he can be.

OL
OL
OL

Hey the OL won a SB...what's wrong with it??!!

<back to my koolaid>

Fire Haley
03-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Hey the OL won a SB...what's wrong with it??!!

Run Ben Run?

How long can he keep that up?

iceman000123
03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Run Ben Run?

Hopefully he won't have to for much longer

lilyoder6
03-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Run Ben Run?

well brett favre moved pretty well in the pocket last yr at 37ish

we just need 2 go 5 wide evry play and throw screens... lol... and he will never be touched

Fire Haley
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM
So where is he? Did Galloway leave without signing?

I demand answers.

steelcityboyz
03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
So where is he? Did Galloway leave without signing?

I demand answers.Yeah. Anyone hear anything?

BlastFurnace
03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Yeah. Anyone hear anything?

This is the only word I have heard about the Steelers dealings with Galloway

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

They are being patient. Meaning, they are either different in Years or $$$$ and they are keeping their options open.

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 03:40 AM
So much for that....

The Steelers did not extend a contract offer to free agent Joey Galloway following Monday's visit.

Galloway did say he's open to joining the Steelers, but he may be holding out for more than the veteran's minimum. Limas Sweed remains Pittsburgh's third receiver for the time being, although competition could still be added.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09071/955045-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Galax Steeler
03-12-2009, 04:56 AM
So much for that....

The Steelers did not extend a contract offer to free agent Joey Galloway following Monday's visit.

Galloway did say he's open to joining the Steelers, but he may be holding out for more than the veteran's minimum. Limas Sweed remains Pittsburgh's third receiver for the time being, although competition could still be added.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09071/955045-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

I am not reall crazy about paying him more then vet min. We need to try and save some money somewhere.

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Well there's only thing left to do - go get Holt or Boldin.

Save our pennies.

lilyoder6
03-12-2009, 10:53 AM
who else is there willing to sign joey... and i'm guessing if there are teams, they won't be offering that much more than the steelers

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 10:57 AM
He's holding out for more money - that's pretty obvious if the Pats and Bills turned him away too.

He could be there awhile. Maybe by June he'll swallow his ego.

XxKnightxX
03-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I say Screw it and take a shot on sweed and extend Heaths and Harrisons contract.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
i'll trust mr. rooney, colbert and tomlin on this...the steeler way is working pretty well...

the economy will work in the favor of ownership pretty soon because teams are going to be leery of paying out money that may not be coming in as revenue. guys like galloway might just find no market for their services and be willing to come to a winner for a little less money. just depends on what they want out of football - money or success?

Preacher
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
i'll trust mr. rooney, colbert and tomlin on this...the steeler way is working pretty well...

the economy will work in the favor of ownership pretty soon because teams are going to be leery of paying out money that may not be coming in as revenue. guys like galloway might just find no market for their services and be willing to come to a winner for a little less money. just depends on what they want out of football - money or success?

I can understand wanting fair-market value for your skills. However, at some point, these guys have to understand that fair-market value diminishes with age in this job.

He's made enough money. Either he wants to play for the love of the game now, or he is going to retire. No team is going to give him a big contract. . . unless the Raiders are looking for a WR.

Jackal
03-12-2009, 10:39 PM
I say Screw it and take a shot on sweed and extend Heaths and Harrisons contract.

I concur. I think Sweed's going to do just fine and we need to focus on our other weapons.

CPanther95
03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
He's probably still making money from his Cowboys contract.

Galax Steeler
03-13-2009, 04:35 AM
I concur. I think Sweed's going to do just fine

That is they key word you think, What if Sweed don't do good then who will step up to the plate.

steelwall
03-13-2009, 04:56 AM
That is they key word you think, What if Sweed don't do good then who will step up to the plate.

You're absolutly right. And I believe Tomlin has stated before, he don't care who you are, you must win your spot. We absolutly need a viable guy to challenge Sweed for the #3 spot.

Steelers & I
03-13-2009, 06:39 AM

And it seems as if no one is considering the injury factor. What if Ward, Holmes, or Sweed were injured next season. Who in the hell will fill in? We need Galloway for sure.

xfl2001fan
03-13-2009, 07:11 AM
I am not reading through 140 posts to figure out what's been said.

If the price is cheap, he'll help open things up just a little bit more for Ward/Holmes...and could provide more vet presence for the young Sweed on how to play the game.

I think that, ultimately, it's going to come down to one of two things for Galloway..

Does he want to be paid big money...or play for a contender. Because, at the end of the day, those are the only two options he'll have.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-13-2009, 09:01 AM
there is no need to worry...this is the offseason, and if we're going to worry about whether or not an oft-injured, 38 year old wide receiver signs or not then we've got problems.

patience...i really believe that sweed is going to be fine.

anyone recall how we believed plaxico was a tragic mistake during his rookie season (the spike against jacksonsville on his first catch...oops!).

i think sweed was behind due to his wrist injury and i think he was pressing, wanting to show everyone he belonged here. i think he's a good kid who will learn from his mistakes and be just fine.

the steelers will find another wide receiver. they're going to be just fine...

BlastFurnace
03-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Galloway is now a Patriot

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/14/galloway-signs-with-patriots/

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
03-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Got Dang The pats gon give us some comp loook who all they have on offense and they got bodden as a cornerback now!

The Definiti0n
03-14-2009, 04:35 PM
both guys we targeted Carr and Galloway get signed to our biggest rivals in the same day lol

tony hipchest
03-14-2009, 05:32 PM
of course this means galloway is gonna prove to be a hell of a solid signing for really cheap and probably contribute 750 yds and 6-8 td's.

:dang:

it also goes to show that when it comes to veterans going to a team to die on the cheap, the patriots is the #1 landing spot.

The Duke
03-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Taylor, Galloway, Bodden

interesting signings. this and with brady back they should win that division easily

of course, it's all talk at this point

cowboykilla
03-14-2009, 07:09 PM
It;s worth a try.

lilyoder6
03-14-2009, 08:07 PM
they are sure re-loading there offense for me brady.. but even with the new signings for the secondary they front 7 minus mayo is still old as shit...

and if teams are going to use the wildcat formation more often the pats front seven could be at a disadvantage

St33lersguy
03-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Now who the hel will the Steelers bring over if they bring over anybody? This upcoming draft better be good and better actually address needs

steel striker
03-15-2009, 09:52 AM
We will be fine remember last year not many people gave us a chance with our schedule and, poor play of the oline early on in the season. Have some faith man!

lilyoder6
03-15-2009, 11:36 AM
no shit.. and there are still a lot of players left in FA.. that we could pick up if need be

Edman
03-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Patriots are loading up to outscore teams this year, because their Defense sucks.

SteelersTilIDie
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
he just signed with the patriots so cross him off the list

steelreserve
03-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Taylor, Galloway, Bodden

interesting signings. this and with brady back they should win that division easily

of course, it's all talk at this point

Fricking Patriots. See, that's how you go out and actually sign free agents who can help you in the offseason. And in the meantime, what do we do? We blow all our money on Starks and Kemo, which is about as productive as slamming your dick in a door. Say what you want about the Patriots, but we ought to be taking notes, because we got absolutely abused in free agency this year.

Having said that, I hope they all break their necks and al-Qaeda blows up their stadium.

OneForTheToe
03-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Fricking Patriots. See, that's how you go out and actually sign free agents who can help you in the offseason. And in the meantime, what do we do? We blow all our money on Starks and Kemo, which is about as productive as slamming your dick in a door. Say what you want about the Patriots, but we ought to be taking notes, because we got absolutely abused in free agency this year.

Having said that, I hope they all break their necks and al-Qaeda blows up their stadium.

IDK steelreserve, I'll take the two Super Bowls over the last 4 years over being the "best organization" in free agency any day. The Pats can remain the fantasy darlings of the NFL for all I care. None of that changes the fact that with the D they had last season they aren't winning crap. While I do agree we overpayed for Starks, we are hardly have as many needs as a team as the Pats do - whose D was over the hill two years ago.

steelreserve
03-16-2009, 01:43 PM
IDK steelreserve, I'll take the two Super Bowls over the last 4 years over being the "best organization" in free agency any day. The Pats can remain the fantasy darlings of the NFL for all I care. None of that changes the fact that with the D they had last season they aren't winning crap. While I do agree we overpayed for Starks, we are hardly have as many needs as a team as the Pats do - whose D was over the hill two years ago.

Oh, I wouldn't trade places with them as a franchise, no way. And over the long run, we make mostly right moves with contracts, free agency, etc.

However, this year, we shot ourselves in the foot. We spent a lot of money and actually made the team worse. We might have a generally sound approach to free agency over the long term, and we went into the offseason with a better team than them too. But this was one of the years when we did poorly with personnel management and the good years have to average it out. Because I cannot stress enough that we absolutely got our asses handed to us.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-16-2009, 02:45 PM
good for galloway...

once the season starts this will be a long-forgotten memory.