PDA

View Full Version : A. Smith - Don't Let the Door Hit Ya....

Blackvette
03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Packers agreed to terms with S Anthony Smith, formerly of the Steelers.

Terms have not been disclosed. Smith will back up starters Nick Collins and Atari Bigby, both of whom are slated to hit unrestricted free agency after next season. Smith has starter level talent and experience, but he's also been a bit of a headcase.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

BlastFurnace
03-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I hope the kid gets his head on straight and becomes a great safety.

I'm also glad he didn't sign with anyone in the AFC North....especially Baltimore.

devilsdancefloor
03-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Best of luck to him!

KeiselPower99
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Good luck Anthony.

Preacher
03-06-2009, 11:01 PM
I had very high hopes for the kid.

Hopefully, he becomes a story like Harrison. A knucklehead that grows up into a good football player.

fansince'76
03-07-2009, 12:38 AM
Probably for the best for him to get a fresh start elsewhere since he's pretty much been on the shit lists of most Steelers fans since the Patriots game back in December of '07. Best of luck to Anthony.

CargoJon
03-07-2009, 01:01 AM
For some reason when I read the thread title I thought Aaron Smith. yikes....

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Hopefully he does well, he seems like he could be a Polamalu type player, just about 70% as good. His attitude is likely what got him booted, so if he cleans that up he could be a dominate SS in the NFC. Never did get why he was a FS, but clearly LeBeau didn't predict how well Clark would work out (not that anyone could've).

BrandonCarr39
03-07-2009, 01:26 AM
As you guys prolly know, one of your former DCs is coaching their D now-Dom Capers' track record has been outstanding when he has to fix defenses for his new teams. Who knows? He may get alot out of Smith.

I was hoping Wade would made a run for him after he fired Brian Stewart 2 months ago.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Everybody dumps on this kid for his attitude and one game against the Pats when he was a backup playing due to injury.

But, everybody was in this kids corner when he had a couple INT's as a rookie and was slobberknocking TJ Whosyourmama in division games. Give up on the hate. Smith is gonna deliver some hits harder than Ryan Clark has, but he isnt as good in coverage and that is why he is gone to GB. I hope he does well and am confident he will.

Steelman16
03-07-2009, 01:59 AM
Don't we play them this year?

Anyway, I think he'll find himself an opportunity in Green Bay.

OB_Steelers
03-07-2009, 02:54 AM
represent my cuse well young fella

steelreserve
03-07-2009, 06:44 AM
One thing I will always have over this guy is that I have never, EVER played second fiddle to anyone named Atari.

4xSBChamps
03-07-2009, 07:45 AM
Don't we play them this year?

Anyway, I think he'll find himself an opportunity in Green Bay.

Yes, I believe the Stillers will play all 4 teams in the NFC North (Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay & Minnesota) this season ('09), then the NFC South next year:
if-so, and they play the Yucs in Tampa, I have a buddy trying to score me some tix.
:tt02:

stillers4me
03-07-2009, 07:59 AM
I had high hopes for this kid at the beginning. It wasn't the "guarantee" that turned me off......it was the shenanigans at training camp. He was a victim of media spin with the guarantee. (I'll never forget James Harrison getting into Marsha's face when he defended Anthony, though. :chuckle:) And I felt real bad for Anthony when Beliprick slammed him in the post game news conference.

Good luck , Anthony. Grow up and you'll be a thorn in our side for years to come.

steelerdave1969
03-07-2009, 08:14 AM
I have seen alot of bad players come and go through the Steelers, and Anthony Smith was not one of them. Yes, he ran his mouth before one game and got what he had coming to him by Brady@Co. The guy has a lot of talent if someone can just utilize it in the right way and just get him to tone it down a little. I just dont understand how he can sink so low like he did. Was it just the Steelers doing that to him to punish him for one game? I hope not, but I am afraid it is

HometownGal
03-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Good luck kiddo! :drink:

P.S. Get your head on straight, that huge chip off your shoulder and learn when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em, and I have no doubt you'll shine! :thumbsup:

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Dude hit like a ton of bricks....He will be starting before the season is over....Good luck A-jax.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Good luck kiddo! :drink:

P.S. Get your head on straight, that huge chip off your shoulder and learn when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em, and I have no doubt you'll shine! :thumbsup:

I think the kid plays better with that huge chip on his shoulder. I think if he plays SS for the pack.......that chip almost needs to get BIGGER.

stlrz fan
03-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Will he guarantee a win against the Steelers?

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Everybody dumps on this kid for his attitude and one game against the Pats when he was a backup playing due to injury.

I agree with people going nuts on him was a bit extreme. But it's not like those claims are unsubstantiated. When he had a pick his rookie season and started showboating, it was annoying, and there were a few (not that many) other incidents.

I agree though, he was mostly cut because he was a liability at FS in coverage (given the wayTroy plays), not because he ate babies.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I agree with people going nuts on him was a bit extreme. But it's not like those claims are unsubstantiated. When he had a pick his rookie season and started showboating, it was annoying, and there were a few (not that many) other incidents.

I remember that play vividly. LeBeau got in his face pretty quick and Smitty kind of looked like he was not gettin it. I think that was a major point of the disconnect.......the majority of the guys respect LeBeau because of his career as a CB and coach. I dont think Smith held him in that high regard and coach Dad had no reason to reciprocate.

Smith needed to act like he's done it before and respect a guy that should be in the HOF. Its probably a good thing for both sides.

LambertIsGod58
03-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Being that Anthony is a local product, college anyway, Im sad to see him go. I think with some work, he could have been a great addition to our defense and could've eventually been the starter over Clark.

SteelShooter
03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
All I have to say is:

PFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iceman000123
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
+1 to that. Anyone who disrespects Dick Lebeau obviously has problems. Big ones. And to all of you talking about how he didnt have big attitude problems here's a memento for you from '06...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTXH5ZNDwg&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayList&p=344308F4968BC9C2&playnext=1&index=34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-YK5DHhvY&feature=related

That's what I call a middle finger to our organization.

Yup. Got to agree he doesn't have the respect for the team like all of the other team leaders. So have fun with the packers next year packing it in before the season even starts :tt02:

lilyoder6
03-08-2009, 10:52 PM
+1 to that. Anyone who disrespects Dick Lebeau obviously has problems. Big ones. And to all of you talking about how he didnt have big attitude problems here's a memento for you from '06...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTXH5ZNDwg&playnext_from=PL&feature=PlayList&p=344308F4968BC9C2&playnext=1&index=34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-YK5DHhvY&feature=related

That's what I call a middle finger to our organization.

those are horrible reason for cutting someone... PLZ... evry player has celebrated at least once in there career and he was a rookie.. come on

2ndly, that stupid ass so called, " guarantee" is BS... all the man said was that if the team would play like they can they would win...

just about any other player talking about there next opponent,,,,

i rly hope this man shines like a mother effer.. so u all feel stupid

meelanova
03-08-2009, 11:50 PM
So we're definately drafting a safety this year?