PDA

View Full Version : Frank Summers-UNLV (jr Bus)

steel-EERS
03-06-2009, 08:16 PM
seems the steelers worked him out on the side at his pro day, 5-10, 240ish and 4.55 forty, might be worth a flyer in 4th or fifth

devilsdancefloor
03-06-2009, 08:32 PM
that would be awesome if he could turn out to be a bus, but honestly he might be built like jerome and have the speed of jerome, but sadly RB's like jerome only come along every once in a while he was special IMHO.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
03-06-2009, 09:41 PM
look at his highlights on youbtube this guy is a monster he cud be the big back we need he reminds me of leron the fb of the ravens!

OX1947
03-06-2009, 11:40 PM
We have a tank already, his name is Rashard Mendenhall. Now if Frank the tank wants to play full back AND do the short yardage, hell yes.....

Galax Steeler
03-07-2009, 06:06 AM
They may be preparing for Parkers departure in 2010. I guess I will get bashed for this but if they draft a back like Bettis and we have Mendenhall and Moore where does Parker fit in.

GeneralRobinson
03-07-2009, 06:29 AM
look at his highlights on youbtube this guy is a monster he cud be the big back we need he reminds me of leron the fb of the ravens!

The fact that he has some pass catching ability gives him a step up on Parker. Can he block is the question?

Steely McSmash
03-07-2009, 09:01 AM
The fact that he has some pass catching ability gives him a step up on Parker. Can he block is the question?

Pass catching is what I noticed most on the youtube highlights I saw. Almost all the plays on the reel were passes and shots of him making some kind of two handed money gesture.

Not impressed by what I saw. Looked like average runs against low quality competition. anyone have a suggestion for higlight reel?

One of the things that made Bettis special was his feet. Hard to say from this. What's the kid's bowling score anyway?

Steeldude
03-08-2009, 06:07 AM
http://media.lasvegassun.com/media/img/photos/2009/03/05/DSC01405_t652.JPG?

he has a powerful build with thick legs.

here are his pro-day stats...

height - 5' 9"

weight - 240

40 - 4.55

vertical - 34.5 inches

broad jump - 9' 5"

bench - 30

one thing i haven't heard about is his attitude/personality. is he a trouble maker? does he stay in shape? is he a team player?

mendenhall hasn't proven he is a power back....yet. he didn't look the part in pre-season or the short time he had in the regular season. the good thing about summers is he can play FB and also catch. drafting summers could mean parker gets traded.

note: who is the other person in the photo above? he is wearing waht appears to be a steelers' shirt. is he part of the coaching staff? i'm too lazy to look up photos for the entire steelers coaching staff.

Galax Steeler
03-08-2009, 08:17 AM

height - 5' 9"

weight - 240

40 - 4.55

vertical - 34.5 inches

broad jump - 9' 5"

bench - 30

one thing i haven't heard about is his attitude/personality. is he a trouble maker? does he stay in shape? is he a team player?

mendenhall hasn't proven he is a power back....yet. he didn't look the part in pre-season or the short time he had in the regular season. the good thing about summers is he can play FB and also catch. drafting summers could mean parker gets traded.

note: who is the other person in the photo above? he is wearing waht appears to be a steelers' shirt. is he part of the coaching staff? i'm too lazy to look up photos for the entire steelers coaching staff.

That dude looks like a beast, as for the guy in the background he does look like a steeler guy.

steelerdave1969
03-08-2009, 10:19 AM
If the Steelers draft a guy like it Does Not Mean The End of Willie Parker, why would it? If your not a fan of Willie, then just say it and quit beating around the bush. I think that Willie could get alot more yards if he would keep his head up and eyes looking for holes, but the guy is our starter until Mendenhall is ready in my opinion and that may be next season, but for now he is our starter. Mendenhall never showed me much in his rookie season, but that doesnt mean that he wont come back stronger than ever. He had to have learned something from watching every game last season either from home or on tape with the team during the week.
I am so tired of hearing everyone bash on Willie, if you dont like him that is fine, but I like the guy and appreciate what he has done for his team the last 4 years

KeiselPower99
03-08-2009, 10:25 AM

height - 5' 9"

weight - 240

40 - 4.55

vertical - 34.5 inches

broad jump - 9' 5"

bench - 30

Since he is a RB I would say that is our RB coach Kirby Wilson.

Steeldude
03-08-2009, 10:42 AM
If the Steelers draft a guy like it Does Not Mean The End of Willie Parker, why would it? If your not a fan of Willie, then just say it

it's called reasoning. i have defended parker on here many times, but i am not blind to seeing alternatives. i am a fan of the team, not a single player. parker could be used as trade bait to move up in the draft. if trading parker and a draft pick can land us a blue chip OT, then i say go for it. the steelers will be fine without parker. also, i am not against trading mendehall either.

the steelers have a younger RB in the waiting. whether or not mendenhall is good or not, remains to be seen. IMO, i don't think he will be that big of a deal, but you never know :smile: he does have speed and good size. if they are going to commit to mendenhall, then they better do it soon.

I am so tired of hearing everyone bash on Willie

and not a single person in this thread bashed parker. are you his brother or something? :smile:

back to summers, i really don't now much about him. as i stated earlier, i am interested in knowing his personality. if he has a good head on his shoulders then i think he is worth looking at. a big back who can catch and play HB and FB is a good thing to have.

mendenhall
moore
russell
mchugh
summers...

...that's not a bad RB roster

Steeldude
03-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Since he is a RB I would say that is our RB coach Kirby Wilson.

yep, i agree

http://www.pasadena.edu/images/NewsEvents/News/2593_Image.jpg

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/75386966.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193550E821156FDE612B90FCD075433D21C 284831B75F48EF45

steel-EERS
03-08-2009, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ev5xHCX9I&feature=related

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Maybe Summers could be a FB and short yardage back. Kind of a replacement for Carey Davis. Here is some info on him and his workout.

The Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers sent two scouts and running backs coach Kirby Wilson, who worked personally with Summers on some drills.

Pittsburgh could use a short-yardage back, and Wilson said Summers looks like the type of player who can move the line of scrimmage.

"The guys that I've talked to -- the other running back coaches -- have all said he might be one of the more difficult guys to tackle that they've seen on film this year," Wilson said.

He was most surprised by Summers' catching ability.

"He really is rare," Wilson said. "You don't see that out of a big man much."
Players who aren't invited to the combine aren't likely to get drafted, but Summers hopes to be the exception.

"I can come in and take up three positions on one roster spot," Summers said. "I think it's huge. I can play fullback, I can play tailback, obviously special teams. I'm sure I could play defense if they needed me there, too."

The Steelers were the only club to send more than one representative
http://www.lvrj.com/sports/40836637.html

Steeldude
03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
good find, el-gonzo

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
good find, el-gonzo
No problem. :hatsoff:

Are you becoming a fan?? The whole article is a good one. I like the idea of a big guy that can catch and run a 4.55, who is willing to play RB, FB, special teams or even defense if needed. Might be a steal of a FB in the 7th round or later.

Coolest thing would be if he comes to camp in a old muscle car he likes to call "the red dragon". :rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Upset after not being invited to the NFL scouting combine last month, Frank Summers used the snub as motivation during UNLV's pro day workout before 13 teams Thursday.

Weighing in at 230 pounds, the former Rebels running back ran the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds, faster than four backs invited to the Indianapolis combine.

Summers, known as "The Tank," also benched-pressed 225 pounds 30 times, tying Syracuse's Tony Fiametta for the top combine total among halfbacks and fullbacks.

Summers' 341/2-inch vertical leap was a bit off the pace.

"That was my goal, to out-do the guys who went to the combine," Summers said. "I was able to see their numbers. I think I put myself in that category of the best of the best."

He began making positive impressions before pro day, however.

During the week leading up to the Texas vs. The Nation all-star game Jan. 31 at El Paso, Summer practiced well enough to earn a starting spot. On game day he caught four passes for 54 yards, including a 19-yard touchdown, and carried once for 3 yards.

Summers also put to rest any questions about the right knee he injured in the season finale. He rushed for 740 yards last season and 928 the year before, and he had a combined 20 touchdowns rushing and receiving.

The Duke
03-08-2009, 06:20 PM
"I can come in and take up three positions on one roster spot," Summers said. "I think it's huge. I can play fullback, I can play tailback, obviously special teams. I'm sure I could play defense if they needed me there, too."

I love players like this. team first

davis does this too....though he sucks at it unfortunately

he could be the answer for short yardage, but honestly I think we'd be good with russell there if the oline got some push up the middle

Still, summers sounds like he'd be a great addition. another UDFA that works out maybe....

devilsdancefloor
03-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Maybe Summers could be a FB and short yardage back. Kind of a replacement for Carey Davis. Here is some info on him and his workout.

The Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers sent two scouts and running backs coach Kirby Wilson, who worked personally with Summers on some drills.

Pittsburgh could use a short-yardage back, and Wilson said Summers looks like the type of player who can move the line of scrimmage.

"The guys that I've talked to -- the other running back coaches -- have all said he might be one of the more difficult guys to tackle that they've seen on film this year," Wilson said.

He was most surprised by Summers' catching ability.

"He really is rare," Wilson said. "You don't see that out of a big man much."
Players who aren't invited to the combine aren't likely to get drafted, but Summers hopes to be the exception.

"I can come in and take up three positions on one roster spot," Summers said. "I think it's huge. I can play fullback, I can play tailback, obviously special teams. I'm sure I could play defense if they needed me there, too."The Steelers were the only club to send more than one representative

that does sound like he would be a nice addition! No EGO to deal with!!

Texasteel
03-08-2009, 09:51 PM
that does sound like he would be a nice addition! No EGO to deal with!!

He certainly does sound interesting, doesn't he.

KeiselPower99
03-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Frank the Tank!!!!!!

Sharkissle29
03-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I love players like this. team first

davis does this too....though he sucks at it unfortunately

he could be the answer for short yardage, but honestly I think we'd be good with russell there if the oline got some push up the middle

Still, summers sounds like he'd be a great addition. another UDFA that works out maybe....

i dont really understand the hate on davis...hes a pretty damn good special teamer, i think ppl fail to realize

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 11:26 PM
i dont really understand the hate on davis...hes a pretty damn good special teamer, i think ppl fail to realize

Is Carey Davis even our top 4 or 5 special team guy?

I would say that Fox, Madison, Bailey, Gay are much better ST cover guys. So he blends in with Andre Frazier, Ty Carter and other OK special teamers. Again, he is expendible and easily upgradable as a FB. I would love to see Summers instead of Davis.

The Duke
03-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Is Carey Davis even our top 4 or 5 special team guy?

I would say that Fox, Madison, Bailey, Gay are much better ST cover guys. So he blends in with Andre Frazier, Ty Carter and other OK special teamers. Again, he is expendible and easily upgradable as a FB. I would love to see Summers instead of Davis.

I think people remember a few big hits davis has given on special teams. don't remember exactly when but in a playoff game he had a pretty good hit. have to check it out later

He's just not consistent like madison, fox....

I vote for upgradable

Galax Steeler
03-09-2009, 03:59 AM
I vote for upgradable

I would say Frank The Tank would be an instant upgrade from Davis.

Steeldude
03-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Are you becoming a fan

i'm always a fan of huge backs who can move faster than their size should allow.

I would love to see Summers instead of Davis

it's not like he could be any worse.

Pi Kapp Steeler
03-09-2009, 10:28 AM
I like him :thumbsup: definitely a steeler kind of player!

triphahn
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
Watched this guy play against ASU he's a beast. Definately a steelers prototype. A big bruising back like we all like to see.

Steeldude
03-20-2009, 01:26 PM
judging by this video interview, he sounds like a humble and good kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okb5nm1TK-0

he isn't co-cky nor does he have that thug attitude.

here is another short interview with summers. the interview starts at the 01:46 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz2iGgUrQpI

and one more interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYNNbhSzrPA

i think the steelers should draft this guy. i don't think he is going to be available in the last round.

Steely McSmash
03-21-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/06/summers-steals-show-unlv-pro-day/

Another article about the pro-day

Unrelated but funny:

... Former defensive tackle Jacob Hales was forced to watch with a heavy boot around his left ankle. He said a pair of tendons in his ankle were torn towards the end of the 2007 season and required surgery. However, he suffered from an infection following the operation, and now has an IV inside of his left biceps at all times, which he hooks into a machine daily to feed antibiotics into his chest. He had doctors reports with him showing that he is close to a full recovery,

Foot in a cast and with and IV in his arm. Sounds like full recovery any minute:chuckle:

unlvrebelx
03-25-2009, 05:52 PM
To those wanting to know about Frank's demeanor, attitude, etc...

...he's just a good guy, hard working, and definitely not a guy that divides the locker room.....he was a team player 100% at UNLV. His lack of carries last season was mind-boggling considering his production...but you never heard Frank complain about it. He always played special teams because he wanted to, not because he had to (btw...you all need to this youtube clip of him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ev5xHCX9I ....that's him in both clips from his HS days), and he was always the best interview on the team. Played with passion and desire every game, EVERY PRACTICE. I'd love to see him on a Steelers team that cherishes the blue-collar player like Summers.

...and not to bring race into this, BUT....Summers is half Samoan (hence his athleticism despite his size)....so you know he'll get along with a few players, including fellow Samoan Polamalu.

Steely McSmash
03-26-2009, 11:22 AM
...and not to bring race into this, BUT....Summers is half Samoan (hence his athleticism despite his size)....so you know he'll get along with a few players, including fellow Samoan Polamalu.

nobody knows this -- don't be ridiculous.

revefsreleets
03-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Is he going to be there in the 5th?

If we draft ANOTHER RB I still see us dangling Parker as bait. We are just loaded to the gills with RB's right now.

Steely McSmash
03-26-2009, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=revefsreleets;583618]Is he going to be there in the 5th?
[QUOTE]

He's projected as 7th / UDFA from what I've seen. He's from UNLV! No Combine invite either.

revefsreleets
03-27-2009, 11:40 AM
7th works...My main concern with guys like this is that we use supplemental picks for them. Minimizes the risk involved...

unlvrebelx
03-27-2009, 02:29 PM
7th works...My main concern with guys like this is that we use supplemental picks for them. Minimizes the risk involved...

FWIW...he went to UNLV because it was the only school offering him as a tailback.

He redshirted a year at Cal as a fullback....after 2 years in Juco, he had offers on the table from nearly every Pac 10 school to play FB.....his final two schools were USC to play FB, or UNLV to play RB.

We only got him because we let him play RB......USC doesn't sign jucos, but they did offer Frank and had a scholarship waiting there for him. He's got a lot of talent......he may be a UNLV caliber RB (hey, Ickey Woods is a UNLV alum), but he's a USC caliber FB.

bullmastiff
04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Frank Summers is an absolute stud. The Rebels run a spread option offense that doesnt play to his strengths. The offensive coordinator Todd Berry was a bit to pass happy and never utilized Frank to his best ability.

For what it is worth at his pro-day he outperformed a number of backs that were invited to the combine. 30 reps of 225 for a TB is awesome.

His strengths would be his ability/willingness to block, he is a punishing runner and finishes all his runs with low pad level. He is an agressive runner and will initiate contact. One of his best skills is his ability to catch the ball. He isnt a great route runner but he is dangerous on swing passes, and wheel routes. His weakness' would probably be a lack of elite speed and he isnt all that shifty. He doesnt make a lot of guys miss. Instead he looks to initiate contact and run through and over defenders.

In terms of his attitude he is a 'team' first guy. Was willing to play special teams/kick coverage despite being the starting TB for the Rebels. He had offers from Cal to play FB but wanted to be a TB. Sat out a year in JC and came to UNLV.

He is like Bettis in stature and a bit similiar in running style. He has very quick feet for a big guy.

He would be a great 2nd day grab for the Steelers. I enjoyed watching this guy play the last year two years. Would love to see the Steelers use a pick on him day to in the 5th or 6th round.

Steely McSmash
04-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Frank is that you? good luck guy!

baronvonheil
04-13-2009, 02:03 PM
The Steelers seem to have an interest in Summers, watching him it's not hard to see why. His body type and running style definitely are Bettis like. I think he'll be a great special teams player at least, and may end up making an impact as a short yardage and goal line back.