PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Davis signs Steeler tender

mesaSteeler
03-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Breaking News: Davis signs Steeler tender
March 7, 9:26 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m3d7-Breaking-News-Davis-signs-Steeler-tender

PITTSBURGH - Sources have informed the Examiner that Carey Davis, has signed his one year tender to remain the with the Steelers.

Davis originally signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers on January 3, 2007, and beat out incumbent Dan Kreider for the starting spot on opening day. Last year, he had 12 rushes for 35 yards and caught five passes for 27 yards.

It is reported that Davis signed a one year exclusive rights free agent contract valued at $460,000.00. Davis

The Duke
03-08-2009, 11:37 AM
:cheer:

Last year, he had 12 rushes for 35 yards and caught five passes for 27 yards.

maybe he doubles his numbers this year....

:banging:

stillers4me
03-08-2009, 11:42 AM
So let Davis and Gay battle it out in training camp. Nothing wrong with that.

Galax Steeler
03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
So let Davis and Gay battle it out in training camp. Nothing wrong with that.

Am I a missing something here or do we have someone in the backfield named Gay.:chuckle:

stillers4me
03-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Am I a missing something here or do we have someone in the backfield named Gay.:chuckle:

My bad. I'm thinking of another thread. :chuckle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/thud.gif

fansince'76
03-08-2009, 11:51 AM
:cheer:

maybe he doubles his numbers this year....

I have to admit this signing has me scratching my head as well.... :huh:

Preacher
03-08-2009, 12:17 PM
I find it constantly amazing how this FO continues to fail its fans by doing what the FO thinks is best instead of straw-polling its fans (General statement concerning the entire offseason, not directed at anyone specifically here).

:chuckle:

Steelerfreak58
03-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Davis helped the team get into and win a Super Bowl. Why fiddle with the chemistry? His numbers were low because he got very few chances to do a whole hell of a lot. Davis is a FULL BACK not our feature back. He has very specific job duties and from what I have seen did them enough to warrant getting a deal at least for the next year.

What exactly do you want from a fullback? 100 yards a game? LOL:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I have to admit this signing has me scratching my head as well.... :huh:

76, you have to ask yourself who is a better FB that they have on the team currently?? Ryan Powdrell??? That is why they tendered him the offer and what was Carey Davis gonna do...........test the market to see if somebody was gonna try and sign him away? :rofl:

I'm surprised Davis didnt get a speeding ticket on his way over to the building to sign that tender. If he didnt, then he would be moving furniture with Retofsky.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 12:56 PM

-I want a FB to lead block and turn his defender in the hole to allow the RB to gain yardage........Davis cant do that. See him get blown up by Chargers, Patriots and Colts LB's all day last season.

-I want a FB to be able to open a hole on short yardage and goal line situations for the RB..............Davis cant do that either.

-I want a FB to be able to pick up a blitzer and protect the QB. Davis is poor at this too. Both Moore and Parker are better blockers.

-I want a FB to be able to catch a play action pass in the flat, turn upfield and bowl over tacklers for a decent 7 yard gain. Davis cant do that either because at 225lbs, he is outweighed by all NFL LB's.

I WANT A REAL NFL CALIBER FB.........CAREY DAVIS IS NOT THAT. He probably will be cut in August and beat out by Ryan Powdrell, Dez Sherrod or a rookie free agent.

Fire Haley
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Woo-hoo!

No FB's will be drafted.

OL
CB
OL
OL
DL

stillers4me
03-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, look at it as a sign that He Who Shall Not Be Named is willing to use a fullback.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
I also want a FB to at least make some special teams tackles and block on the wedge.

Davis is not one of the better tacklers on ST, but at least he lead blocks for Russell if he doesnt receive the kickoff. One year tender........camp cut hopefully.

lilyoder6
03-08-2009, 02:31 PM
b/c evrything carey davis did this yr was horrible.. b/c he was so horrible that he got on the field and played...

the fb u want is no where to be seen.. those days ARE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the joke bout rotefsky.. is not nice., i know him and his fiance and they are good ppl and he was just trying to make money to be supportive

lilyoder6
03-08-2009, 02:36 PM
and at a 1 yr contract for 460,000... not bad who did contribute last yr

LVSteelersfan
03-08-2009, 02:40 PM
First thing I don't agree with this offseason. Gary Russell would be a better fullback than this Davis joker. I just don't get what the Steelers see in him. I honestly hope he doesn't make the team in training camp because he is a waste of a roster spot.

SteelersinCA
03-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Great a guy with poor hands and the inability to pick up 1 yd on 3rd down in the playoffs, awesome!

DoubleSh0t
03-08-2009, 03:10 PM
the fb u want is no where to be seen.. those days ARE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing - the guys who probably could play fullback won't because the pay just isn't there for them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 04:21 PM
b/c evrything carey davis did this yr was horrible.. b/c he was so horrible that he got on the field and played...

and the joke bout rotefsky.. is not nice., i know him and his fiance and they are good ppl and he was just trying to make money to be supportive

First, the days of a FB being able to block and receive a pass out of the backfield are not over. Petyton Hillis, Darian Barnes, Terrelle Smith, Heath Evans, Tony Richardson, John Karney, Lorenzo Neal, Leonard Weaver.......all did those kinds of things for NFL teams as a FB.

Second, I am sorry if I offended you with Retofsky. (I assume if you know him you know how to spell his name :rolleyes:) The truth is the guy was moving for a living until Warren got hurt and he's a great success story. I said nothing to the contrary.

Maybe I was wrong and Carey Davis is no good of a mover either because he is too small........maybe he would be driving instructor instead. He could teach people how to not hit anybody else, since he has experience at that.

The Duke
03-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Maybe I was wrong and Carey Davis is no good of a mover either because he is too small........maybe he would be driving instructor instead. He could teach people how to not hit anybody else, since he has experience at that.

:rofl:

maybe keep him as a blocking dummy. I'm sure he'd be able to take some hits :hunch:

lilyoder6
03-08-2009, 05:21 PM
not exactyl... 1 of my good friends is russian i am have no effing clue how to spell his name...

the only fb u mention that was productive at all last yr was richardson... but still these fb's are not the same as b4

lilyoder6
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Dont forget Lorenzo Neal. That Baltimore run game didnt dominate us, but it gave me fits :pin:

i don't think he did that much rly.. shit i didn't even see him on the field that much... i saw mcclain more than anything

Dino 6 Rings
03-08-2009, 06:21 PM
Question folks, is Moore under contract for next season already?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Question folks, is Moore under contract for next season already?

Yup. He signed a 3 year deal last season. He's here for 2 more seasons at least.

GeneralRobinson
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM

I want a fullback whom the defense has to at least respect as a possible ball carrier. I know, that's like soooooooooo 30 years ago.:chuckle:

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey, your not a doofus for wanting another Rocky Bleier on the team. that would be awesome :wink:

Bleier was undoubtedly one-of-a-kind. Not that Swanny and guys like Mean Joe Greene aren't unique, but I really don't think there will be anyone in the league that recovers from what Rocky dd and be at his size and still be able to plow over someone, especially the way fullbacks are used nowadays. I know you know this, but hey, no reason not to give Rocky some props :tt03:

I want, as El-Gonzo has said, a FB that comes in and can be multi-dimensional. I don't want a fat guy that is too big to be pushed out of the way (though that'd be an improvement over Davis), I want a guy who can clear out a LBer, have decentish hands, and gives it his all. I want Dan Kreider of ~6 years ago + hands.

And yes, those fullbacks exist. The I-formation is all about threat-of-force from both the run and pass. We have the run game, TEs, and receivers to really give the defense fits, only thing we lack is a legitimate fullback to make the I shine again. But we all know Arians doesn't much care for a traditional FB.

SteelShooter
03-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Bleier was undoubtedly one-of-a-kind. Not that Swanny and guys like Mean Joe Greene aren't unique, but I really don't think there will be anyone in the league that recovers from what Rocky dd and be at his size and still be able to plow over someone, especially the way fullbacks are used nowadays. I know you know this, but hey, no reason not to give Rocky some props :tt03:

I want, as El-Gonzo has said, a FB that comes in and can be multi-dimensional. I don't want a fat guy that is too big to be pushed out of the way (though that'd be an improvement over Davis), I want a guy who can clear out a LBer, have decentish hands, and gives it his all. I want Dan Kreider of ~6 years ago + hands.

And yes, those fullbacks exist. The I-formation is all about threat-of-force from both the run and pass. We have the run game, TEs, and receivers to really give the defense fits, only thing we lack is a legitimate fullback to make the I shine again. But we all know Arians doesn't much care for a traditional FB.

Yup!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I want Dan Kreider of ~6 years ago + hands.

And yes, those fullbacks exist.
This is what I want too.

I dont need a guy that is just a blocker.....but I want a guy that is at least better of a lead blocker than our #3 TE and can catch the football. Tony Richardson, William Henderson, Lorenzo Neal type guys. There are a few of them in this draft and some you can sign as a FA that will upgrade that position.

Steelman16
03-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Nooooooo! Why didn't his pen run out of ink right before he picked it up? :banging:

Davis was just an extra body IMO. Heck, put MeMo at fullback, at least he can catch out of the flat and turn it up field for a gain.

I hope McHugh or whoever else we pick up wins the job.

KeiselPower99
03-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Nooooooo! Why didn't his pen run out of ink right before he picked it up? :banging:

Davis was just an extra body IMO. Heck, put MeMo at fullback, at least he can catch out of the flat and turn it up field for a gain.

I hope McHugh or whoever else we pick up wins the job.

He probably stopped at Wal Mart and picked up a pack of pens. I want a real FB blocking for us next year.

Galax Steeler
03-09-2009, 04:41 AM
I guess we will see what the front office is thinking maybe it is just competition in trainning camp.

DACEB
03-09-2009, 06:57 AM
He still comes extremely cheap for a third year starter. At the very least camp competition, at the most continuity going into '09. And he is absolutely an above average special teamer.

Steeldude
03-09-2009, 09:50 AM
why? davis has shown nothing. he isn't difficult to bring down, his field awareness is below average as is his blocking. why is arians so enamored with this guy? he is a backup FB and now they re-sign him?

XxKnightxX
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
If you ask me guys, hes either a camp body who might get cut if he doesnt impress, or they will sign him as a Special teamer, and hes a hell of a special team player because he can block in returns and hit hard during kickoffs. Not very happy with it but well see, this isnt your final roster remember that.

steelreserve
03-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Great a guy with poor hands and the inability to pick up 1 yd on 3rd down in the playoffs, awesome!

And I thought our starting halfback already had the market cornered on both of those things. I guess we just can't get enough of obvious shortcomings in the backfield.

Tell me again why we're still wasting our time with this turd?

The_WARDen
03-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Davis helped the team get into and win a Super Bowl. Why fiddle with the chemistry? His numbers were low because he got very few chances to do a whole hell of a lot. Davis is a FULL BACK not our feature back. He has very specific job duties and from what I have seen did them enough to warrant getting a deal at least for the next year.

I hate this logic... going by this logic, they should keep Berger as their punter then right? He "helped" win a a SB.

:noidea:

lilyoder6
03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I hate this logic... going by this logic, they should keep Berger as their punter then right? He "helped" win a a SB.

:noidea:

i would like the idea of mitch staying.. (he always bought me food :applaudit:)
but it won't happen b/c we do have dan

rich4eagle
03-09-2009, 07:09 PM
I find it constantly amazing how this FO continues to fail its fans by doing what the FO thinks is best instead of straw-polling its fans (General statement concerning the entire offseason, not directed at anyone specifically here).

:chuckle:

Asking the fans for anything is mostly really stupid........now here in Pittsburgh where the fans are the smartest in the nfl ASKING THEM WOULD NOT BE STUPID.......... just dumb

Let the Steelers MGT do what they do best

Just win baby just win..........nuff said:tt03:

Stlrs4Life
03-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Rats, oh well. Didn't expect any other team to call him anyways.

The_WARDen
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
i would like the idea of mitch staying.. (he always bought me food :applaudit:)
but it won't happen b/c we do have dan

but but..Dan didn't help them win a SB!

I'm confused..

lilyoder6
03-10-2009, 04:03 PM
but dan was there for morale support