PDA

View Full Version : McFadden signs with Cardinals

BlastFurnace
03-08-2009, 04:52 PM
2 years / $10 Million...$5 Million Guaranteed.

That's all it took.

Good luck BMAC.

www.profootballtalk.com

lilyoder6
03-08-2009, 04:56 PM
no effing way.. 2 yrs 10 mill

thats not a "big" contract at ALL

tony hipchest
03-08-2009, 04:58 PM
dammit. i thought us getting him locked up for 5-6 years at 5 mil a year would prove to be a steal (just like it did with ike).

oh well... welcome to fighting for a starting spot "thuggish ruggish gay"

:tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
03-08-2009, 05:10 PM
He must have been tired of being a "Team" Player and wanted to be "the man"

Too bad....no rings for him ever again.

Vincent
03-08-2009, 05:14 PM
That is the stupidest contract I have ever seen. What'd he tell BMac? "Yer just a few years away from your prime. Don't take a long term deal. We'll get the BIG money in 2 years when there's no cap." Rosenhaus should be dipped in @#$%.

ShutDown24
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Oh well. Gay played just as well this season. Good luck Bryant, hope you have a nice remainder to your career.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Considering we spent almost $13million in cap space on Starks, Kemo and Colon this offseason........I really didnt think we had much a chance to keep McFadden.

Oh well. Look at it this way. We lost a future starting CB..........but we kept our O-line together!! :tt02:

stillers4me
03-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Enjoy your ring, Bryant. It's the last one you'll ever see.

And say hi to Whiz and everyone else from the Burgh.

HometownGal
03-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Another one yanked by the Steeler stealer and Pittsburgh West. :jerkit:

Good luck B-Mac and enjoy every facet of that SB ring - I think it's going to be a lonnnnng time before you are wearing another one. :drink:

devilsdancefloor
03-08-2009, 05:29 PM
McFadden, according to a source, agreed to a two-year, $10 million contract that has a simple structure. McFadden will make $5 million in 2009 and $5 million in 2010. The source indicated that the entire salary for 2009 is guaranteed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3962667

wow no signing bonus no nothing 5M per year nothing guaranteed! Well been nice to have ya back Bmac But enjoy the misery inthe desert!!

TasmanianTroy271
03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Come on now, I've heard the Rooney's are cheap, and most of the time they make good decisions, but this one really makes me scratch my head... We could have kept McFadden for real cheap, and bring in a rookie corner if we wanted to. Unless they see something in Gay, Roy Lewis, and Madison that I don't...

Unless McFadden really didn't want to stay here for some reason, lol.

Blackvette
03-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I predict a CB in the 3rd or 4th round of this year's draft.

First 2 rounds should be spent on OL and DL depth...IMHO.

ShutDown24
03-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Come on now, I've heard the Rooney's are cheap, and most of the time they make good decisions, but this one really makes me scratch my head... We could have kept McFadden for real cheap, and bring in a rookie corner if we wanted to. Unless they see something in Gay, Roy Lewis, and Madison that I don't...

Unless McFadden really didn't want to stay here for some reason, lol.

Gay was splitting time with McFadden even once McFadden had returned to the lineup and was completely healthy. Most people didn't even notice, which is the point.

Steel-Bryan
03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Maybe now we can Sign Pacman.

Sike ! :applaudit:

Texasteel
03-08-2009, 05:51 PM
We usually seem to find a way to replace our losses and move forward. We'll do it this time too.

TasmanianTroy271
03-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Gay was splitting time with McFadden even once McFadden had returned to the lineup and was completely healthy. Most people didn't even notice, which is the point.

I don't think that's a reason to get rid of one of the them, especially if one doesn't request starter's money. Unless that's what McFadden did. That's my thing though; I'm looking at this from the perspective that McFadden even wanted to come back.

paw-n-maul-u
03-08-2009, 05:58 PM
WHO CARES.

Here is what Gay did this year in comparison to what that clown did that is now in Arizona:

Had just as many tackles.

Had more solo tackles.

Had only one less pass deflection.

Had only one less interception.

I just don't see the love fest with B.M. that everyone else does.

oh and Gay did this in ONE THIRD OF THE TIME. Sure, some of that is probably due to more targets ... but actually not really. Gay had his nose in one a ton more plays. He is cheaper ... we probably won't miss a beat.

The only thing this means is that corner is probably a priority of Day 1 in the draft. The steelers won't miss a beat, just like always.

What a retard deal anyways. Hall just got 9 a year from the skins. and Bryant can't sniff a penny more than 5 x2 . bahahahaha.

Enjoy you fool. We wasted too high a pick on you ... you couldnt beat out deshea as a second round pick, gay did it in one year as a 5th round pick, and even at the end of year before as a rookie. I honestly feel that he deserves to be laughed at for taking a deal at the price, to switch to such a gay team like that, KNOWING how it must piss us people off. I mean, steelers just beat the cards in a superbowl ... history of superbowl losers ... warner is old ... losing coordinators ... whatever ... good ridance.

The Duke
03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I get it

He'll try to reenter free agency at 29. still a good time to get a big contract. guess his injured season affected the offers a lot

still, good luck bryant. but I honestly think gay will outplay everything you did here

mesaSteeler
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Cards sign ex-Steelers CB McFadden
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/03/08/20090308cardscb.html
by Kent Somers - Mar. 8, 2009 02:27 PM
The Arizona Republic

Former Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden agreed to terms on a two-year, $10 million contract with the Cardinals on Sunday, team officials announced.

McFadden, a four-year veteran, is expected to compete with Rod Hood for a starting job. A former second-round pick out of Florida State, McFadden became a starter for the Steelers last season. He missed six games with a broken forearm.

McFadden's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said the broken arm made it difficult for McFadden to get a longer-term deal.

"I really think he's an $8 million a year player," Rosenhaus said.

Rosenhaus also is the agent for Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin and running back Edgerrin James. Those players' contract situations remain unresolved, creating speculation that Rosenhaus has had difficulty dealing with the Cardinals.

"This contract should put all that speculation to rest," Rosenhaus said. "I know that people think my relationship with the team is strained, but when you have several clients with one team, you're going to have situations come up."

McFadden's first-year salary of $3.75 million is guaranteed, and he receives a $1 million roster bonus and $250,000 workout bonus. The $5 million salary for the second year is not guaranteed.

McFadden is the team's first major free agent acquisition this spring. He bolsters a secondary that showed improvement in the playoffs.

The Cardinals lacked depth at cornerback, however, and Hood struggled at times this season. The loser of the competition between Hood and McFadden likely will become the team's nickel cornerback.

Iron Gut
03-08-2009, 06:28 PM
He signed for no signing bonus!!

Wow.

Rosenhaus used Bmac as a chip to get his other "big money" contracts signed.

Too bad Bmac, will be a cold day in hell when you win a ring in the desert. That said, remember if you blow out your ACL in training camp, the Cards dump your ass for $250,000. That would be almost amusing.

CargoJon
03-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I guess he can enjoy showing off his Super Bowl ring around the new locker room....

Fire Haley
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I would have liked him back too - we have no depth now.

CB is a must on the first day of the draft now.
Hope the new guy doesn't take 4 years to break the starting line-up.

headymessman86
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Pittsburgh West strikes again!
Maybe Tim Lester or Walter Abercrombie can be lured out of retirement to bolster the Cards' running game.

Steelers Since '75
03-08-2009, 07:30 PM
If B-Mac left for that little then it would appear to be a matter of him not wanting to play for the Steelers or the Steelers did not want him anymore... either way this reeks of a player and a team having a strained relationship. I wonder if the Steelers told McFadden he would have to compete with Gay for the spot and McFadden felt he deserved it and shouldn't have to earn it...

Blitzburgh_Fever
03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
The Steelers - building through the draft and low-to-mid free agents.

The Cardinals - building through the Steelers and first day WR picks.

Could an organization be more opposite?

X-Terminator
03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
If B-Mac left for that little then it would appear to be a matter of him not wanting to play for the Steelers or the Steelers did not want him anymore... either way this reeks of a player and a team having a strained relationship. I wonder if the Steelers told McFadden he would have to compete with Gay for the spot and McFadden felt he deserved it and shouldn't have to earn it...

If that's the case, then why take the Cards' deal since he's going to have to compete with Rod Hood for the starting job there? I don't think it's that. I think the reason he left is because the Steelers just didn't feel he was worth what he was asking for, and even if they did, they don't have the cap room. Anyway, good luck to him, but I'm not concerned. William Gay showed that he can do the job, and for 1/6 the salary. It also means that the Steelers definitely will pick a CB on day one of the draft.

BrandonCarr39
03-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I read he visited the Eagles yesterday. Surprised he did, otherwise, he would have been nothing more than the 3rd or 4th corner there.

OTOH-there's been rumors flying of Sheldon Brown getting traded to Zona for Boldin(Brown has been unhappy with his current contract). Looks like those rumors should be officially dead now!

SteelCurtain7
03-08-2009, 08:16 PM
The Cardinals are such wanna-be Steelers, it's pathetic. :rolleyes: Who will they next try to steal from Pittsburgh?

vindrow
03-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Aw well, so long BMac hope you enjoy your time with the Arizona Steelers.

klick81
03-08-2009, 08:42 PM
When is that a__hole piece of shit Whizenhunt gonna stop going after all of our players???

I hope that organization never sees the post-season again.

BehindSteelCurtain
03-08-2009, 08:46 PM
He is gonna have fun as backup.

SteelShooter
03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
If that's the case, then why take the Cards' deal since he's going to have to compete with Rod Hood for the starting job there? I don't think it's that. I think the reason he left is because the Steelers just didn't feel he was worth what he was asking for, and even if they did, they don't have the cap room. Anyway, good luck to him, but I'm not concerned. William Gay showed that he can do the job, and for 1/6 the salary. It also means that the Steelers definitely will pick a CB on day one of the draft.

I agree. There is much more to this than we are hearing. If he was as great as we thought, then the FO would have made an earnest move to keep him.

Just another case of an individual believing he was much better than he really was......then asking for too much and being relegated to a second (third?)-tier franchise.

BlastFurnace
03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
The Steelers offered a 5 year contract with $10 Million guaranteed.

BMAC, apparently, wants to roll the dice again in 2 years.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/arizona-cardinals-sign-bryant-mcfadden/8210/

The puzzling thing in this entire equation is that he could have gotten that contract from probably 10 teams.

fordfan485
03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
When is that a__hole piece of shit Whizenhunt gonna stop going after all of our players???

Probably once every player that was drafted before 2007 is no longer with the steelers.

d2609j
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Will the steelers get a compensatory pick for losing mcfadden?

Curtain_of_Steel
03-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Good, now we can stop talking about this and move on.

Gay played just fine.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Good, now we can stop talking about this and move on.

Gay played just fine.

Yeah, I liked Gay as a young DeShea Townsend, but didnt think he was quite ready to step in and be the starter. At least we know that Townsend is there as veteran insurance. I still think Leigh Bodden is out on the market......you never know if we get him cheap to compete for a job or be the dime back.

iceman000123
03-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Well I did like Mcfadden, however I don't see any harm done to our D by him leaving. It's just like everyone else said william gay is very capable of filling in. Good luck B cept against us

Fearless Vampire Killer
03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I think the Cards are gonna wear black next year... :hatsoff:

Steelman16
03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
:noidea:

Cya B-Mac. We won't miss ya.

lilyoder6
03-08-2009, 09:46 PM
just amazed by this move.. as like evryon else says they would like to stay.. but wanted to get PAID

2 yrs and 10 mill IS NOT getting paid..

Preacher
03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Well, once again we lose a guy, and have a another guy to step seemlessly into his place.

Why lock up 5 mill a year when we have a guy behind him that can do the same job for less money?

BlastFurnace
03-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, once again we lose a guy, and have a another guy to step seemlessly into his place.

Why lock up 5 mill a year when we have a guy behind him that can do the same job for less money?

"The Standard of Expectation Does Not Change"

Havik
03-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm disappointed we lost McFadden, he has a lot of upside. Evidently money was a priority over winning another Super Bowl.

meelanova
03-08-2009, 10:51 PM
peace B-Mac

Dodt
03-08-2009, 10:54 PM
good luck mcfadden.

Sharkissle29
03-08-2009, 11:12 PM
thats all it took?

dont understand why he isnt still a steeler...are we missing something here?

slippy
03-08-2009, 11:41 PM
i will always have a soft spot for bmac for breaking up the manning to wayne pass in the end zone on the final (missed FG) drive in the 2005 playoffs.

Michael Keller
03-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Its the off season & I am still basking in the after glow of the Super Bowl BUT I am getting a little cynical . We are willing to let one of young starting defensive players go and we quickly secure our highly talented offensive line. ??????

Now the pressure is on to obtain Offensive line help, Defensive Line help, and corner back help

I am going back to basking in the glow. I will save my bitching when and if it is necessary.

Galax Steeler
03-09-2009, 03:28 AM
thats all it took?

I don't think we even offerd him a contract but oh well have fun in the sun McFadden.

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 05:01 AM
Yeah, I liked Gay as a young DeShea Townsend, but didnt think he was quite ready to step in and be the starter. At least we know that Townsend is there as veteran insurance. I still think Leigh Bodden is out on the market......you never know if we get him cheap to compete for a job or be the dime back. gay started againts, san diego, cincy, NE, Dallas .......the most passing yards givin up was 210 to dallas, i'd venture to say they didn't miss a beat with gay playing against 3 pass happy teams that were 7th , 9th, and 12th in passing yards.

DACEB
03-09-2009, 05:47 AM
It appears to me that it's obvious B-Mac didn't want to play here. He must've felt slighted somehow, who knows. I would venture to say that whatever his mentality was in making this decision, it shows that with that mentally, he's not on par with THIS TEAM.

I would have loved to see him back. Obviously the Steelers wanted him back, but I'm glad they didn't budge from the contract they offered.

Gay will be fine, and Lewis and Mundy will be added to the fold. It would have been great for depth, but the team won't miss a beat.

BlastFurnace
03-09-2009, 09:31 AM
It appears to me that it's obvious B-Mac didn't want to play here. He must've felt slighted somehow, who knows. I would venture to say that whatever his mentality was in making this decision, it shows that with that mentally, he's not on par with THIS TEAM.

I agree. That seemed to become more and more apparent as time went on. Unlike Kemo, who called the Steelers to see what could be worked out...while practically staring at his proposed Jet's contract, BMAC was in this just for himself.

If you remember, there were stories about his concern over playing with his arm...after it was healed...because he didn't want to hurt his FA chances. That kind of mindset is different than what Tomlin espouses.

Like I said earlier, I won' bad mouth the guy. He did what he felt he needed to do. Best wishes to you BMAC. I hope you're happy.

The Rooney's tried to be fair with him.

XxKnightxX
03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
THIS WAS MY CLUE THAT HE WOULDNT COME BACK, KEEP THE DATE IN MIND.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_557359.html

McFadden wants to make Steelers pay
Buzz up!
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cornerback Bryant McFadden was the Steelers' second-round draft pick in 2005. McFadden is entering the final year of his contract and has retained the one and only Drew Rosenhaus to broker a new deal.
Be afraid Steelers fans, be very afraid.

McFadden's agent change is one of the most important developments facing the Steelers this offseason.

Rosenhaus is a squeaky wheel among NFL agents. He has a track record for bringing attention to himself and securing big money for his clients.

What does McFadden's hiring Rosenhaus have to do with the Steelers? Well, McFadden's signability could impact how the Steelers approach next month's draft.

If the Steelers plan to re-sign McFadden prior to the start of next season, they won't be forced to select a cornerback early in the draft.

If, on the other hand, the Steelers don't plan to re-sign McFadden before the start of next season -- remember, the club traditionally doesn't negotiate in season -- expect them to draft a cornerback relatively early, perhaps on the first day.

Among current Steelers cornerbacks, Ike Taylor, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003, is signed through 2010. Deshea Townsend, the other starting corner, is signed through 2009, when he will be 34.

The other corners include William Gay, a fifth-round pick last year, and Anthony Madison, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

Ricardo Colclough, the team's second-round pick in 2004, was released last season, creating a vacancy at corner.

Changing agents is all well and good, but not even Rosenhaus can make the Steelers budge if the team doesn't believe that McFadden can beat out Townsend, who was a fourth-round pick in 1998.

McFadden was taken in the second round for a reason. The Steelers reward their players financially for their performance. They drafted McFadden believing he would become a starter.

The only players the Steelers pay on potential are their draft picks.

McFadden has appeared in 41 regular-season games with 10 starts. He has five career interceptions, including a 50-yard return for a touchdown against San Francisco last season.

McFadden's biggest problem in 2007 was not staying on the field. He missed three games because of a high ankle sprain, allowing Gay to receive valuable playing time at nickel back.

Hiring a new agent is one way for McFadden to get the new contract he's seeking. The best way is for McFadden to become the Steelers' starting right corner in 2008

SteelersMongol
03-09-2009, 09:38 AM
What was all those hype was all about? Off all the other 30 teams, he wanted 2 play 4 the Cardinals? I'm speechless.

klick81
03-09-2009, 09:47 AM
THIS WAS MY CLUE THAT HE WOULDNT COME BACK, KEEP THE DATE IN MIND.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_557359.html

McFadden wants to make Steelers pay
Buzz up!
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, March 15, 2008

Cornerback Bryant McFadden was the Steelers' second-round draft pick in 2005. McFadden is entering the final year of his contract and has retained the one and only Drew Rosenhaus to broker a new deal.
Be afraid Steelers fans, be very afraid.

McFadden's agent change is one of the most important developments facing the Steelers this offseason.

Rosenhaus is a squeaky wheel among NFL agents. He has a track record for bringing attention to himself and securing big money for his clients.

What does McFadden's hiring Rosenhaus have to do with the Steelers? Well, McFadden's signability could impact how the Steelers approach next month's draft.

If the Steelers plan to re-sign McFadden prior to the start of next season, they won't be forced to select a cornerback early in the draft.

If, on the other hand, the Steelers don't plan to re-sign McFadden before the start of next season -- remember, the club traditionally doesn't negotiate in season -- expect them to draft a cornerback relatively early, perhaps on the first day.

Among current Steelers cornerbacks, Ike Taylor, a fourth-round draft pick in 2003, is signed through 2010. Deshea Townsend, the other starting corner, is signed through 2009, when he will be 34.

The other corners include William Gay, a fifth-round pick last year, and Anthony Madison, who signed with the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 2006.

Ricardo Colclough, the team's second-round pick in 2004, was released last season, creating a vacancy at corner.

Changing agents is all well and good, but not even Rosenhaus can make the Steelers budge if the team doesn't believe that McFadden can beat out Townsend, who was a fourth-round pick in 1998.

McFadden was taken in the second round for a reason. The Steelers reward their players financially for their performance. They drafted McFadden believing he would become a starter.

The only players the Steelers pay on potential are their draft picks.

McFadden has appeared in 41 regular-season games with 10 starts. He has five career interceptions, including a 50-yard return for a touchdown against San Francisco last season.

McFadden's biggest problem in 2007 was not staying on the field. He missed three games because of a high ankle sprain, allowing Gay to receive valuable playing time at nickel back.

Hiring a new agent is one way for McFadden to get the new contract he's seeking. The best way is for McFadden to become the Steelers' starting right corner in 2008

Great memory there...I remember this (now). :wave: BMAC.

Steeldude
03-09-2009, 10:10 AM
BMAC was in this just for himself

just like how he acts on the field.

i am extremely happy he is gone, but the steelers need to add depth to that position. it shouldn't be difficult to replace an average CB with another average one.

the cardinals spend 5 mil a year for an average CB? where is the logic?

CanadianSteel
03-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Well we cannot keep everyone but I wpould have liked to see B-Mac stay, specially considering he was signed on the cheap...
Hopefull in the draft we can move up and get o-line in the 1st round and maybe corner in the 2nd.

I wonder if the Steelers offered a contratc to B-Mac as I thought I read soenmwhere they had. Inetresting if they doid to see the numbers...
:noidea:

Edman
03-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't know what the hoopla is about BMac. Maybe because he's young. I dunno. Mcfadden has done next to nothing during his time here, and was unable to suppplant Townsend.

steelreserve
03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
thats all it took?

Because we wasted about $22 million in cap space by either bidding against ourselves to keep our mediocre starters on the offensive line, or paying dead money to offensive linemen who got cut from the team because they were even worse than the ones we did keep. That's why we couldn't afford $5 million to re-sign McFadden.

I TOLD you this would happen.

BlastFurnace
03-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Because we wasted about $22 million in cap space by either bidding against ourselves to keep our mediocre starters on the offensive line, or paying dead money to offensive linemen who got cut from the team because they were even worse than the ones we did keep. That's why we couldn't afford $5 million to re-sign McFadden.

It wasn't a matter of affording anything with BMAC. If what he was looking for was $10 Million over 2 years and $5 Million guaranteed...there were probably 20 teams that would have given him that if that is what he was truly looking for.

What probably happened, based upon Rosenhaus's assumptions that BMAC is a $8 Million a year player, they overvalued him. When BMAC found out that he wasn't worth what he thought, he started looking at a short term deal where he would hit the open market again before he turned 30 years of age. Teams, other than the Steelers, probably balked at only a 2 year deal.

The Steelers offered him a 5 year deal with $10 Million guaranteed. That's not what he wanted. www.insidepittsburghsports.com

He's gambling that he will unseat Hood at the CB spot opposite of Cromartie. I hope it works out for him so that he can "get paid"...his words, not mine. If the Steelers were willing to give him $10 Million guaranteed...which matched the entire Arizona salary for the duration of the contract, surely they would have matched or exceeded his Arizona offer.

Personally, I would not want a player that does not have the "Band of Brothers" mentality that Tomlin wants. There are better players currently on the Steelers that took less to stay. BMAC didn't want to do that.

It is what it is.

KeiselPower99
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
He isnt even gonna be a starter for the Cards. They had like 40 mill in cap room. Who cares. After he spends a season there and realizes the duplicate isnt as good he will regret it.

Steely McSmash
03-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I concurr that the cap is the main issue here. However I'm also not so sure that BMAC is really worth 5M a year. That would make him the 4th highest paid on the D behind Polamalu, Taylor, and Hampton.

They have to pay Harrison more than BMAC so the money is just not there in 2009. It could probably be there in 3-4 years if he signed long term but He wanted a 2 year deal. Next year the Steelers are in bad shape FA-wise with I think 17-18 guys up.

Better to save the money here. I've heard good things about Roy Lewis. I think the Steelers are pretty good at evaluating the DB prospects. A Smith and Colclough are misfires but they seem to do ok.

We now have roster room for 2 CB and 1 FS. Lewis and Mundy could potentially move onto the 53 man roster.

I think a later round (4-5) CB or FS pick may be a good idea to develop. I guess you could make an arguement for a higher round considering Deshea's contract is up next year.

Proabably a good move to bring in a vet CB (ala Fernando Bryant) for depth if nobody roster-worthy is drafted.

Steeldude
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't know what the hoopla is about BMac. Maybe because he's young. I dunno. Mcfadden has done next to nothing during his time here, and was unable to suppplant Townsend.

exactly. the guy did nothing here to warrant a raise. i am fine with gay taking his place.

truesteelerfan
03-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't know.....exactly how many years do they think Townsend can still play? I loved BMac's ability to hit the receivers hard enough to not forget he was around, kind of like an extra safety...I agree, he had his chances, but I don't remember Townsend ever hitting anyone nearly as hard.

XxKnightxX
03-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't know.....exactly how many years do they think Townsend can still play? I loved BMac's ability to hit the receivers hard enough to not forget he was around, kind of like an extra safety...I agree, he had his chances, but I don't remember Townsend ever hitting anyone nearly as hard.

Let the hitting to be left for the Linebackers and Safeties, this is how Corners earn their buck

mh3FKURFtyo

Bigben87
03-09-2009, 01:15 PM
The Steelers - building through the draft and low-to-mid free agents.

The Cardinals - building through the Steelers and first day WR picks.

Could an organization be more opposite?

It's kinda like the Oakland A's in MLB. They develop some awesome talent...then loose it to free agency once they become too 'good' and expensive to keep. (Giambi, Tejada, McGuire)

BlastFurnace
03-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Townsend rarely gets beat and is much better at jumping routes though.

I wanted to keep BMAC...even at 5 / $25 Million, but let's be honest, he doesn't have that big of a body of work.

I'm not sure if Gay is starting material either. I think we will pick a corner in the 1st or 2nd round this year. Maybe a double dip at CB like we had at LB 2 years ago.

BlastFurnace
03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
It's kinda like the Oakland A's in MLB. They develop some awesome talent...then loose it to free agency once they become too 'good' and expensive to keep. (Giambi, Tejada, McGuire)

LOL...all Roid guys.

Bigben87
03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
LOL...all Roid guys.

Haha...that's true. Then again, that can be said of ANY elite slugger within the past 20-30 years.

BlastFurnace
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Haha...that's true. Then again, that can be said of ANY elite slugger within the past 20-30 years.

Sadly....everyone is in doubt now.

Just wait until they bust a prominant NFL player...and they will some day.

KitsapSteve
03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Come on Drew; What kinda rioids are you smoking.
BMAC was at best 2 mill what we offered him...
We will do just fine...
Show off the Ring BMAC

steelreserve
03-09-2009, 04:24 PM

Hey, and I think I'm good enough at my job to be paid $250,000. And I'm sure that so would my friends, if they stood to benefit from my earning power. Doesn't necessarily mean I actually AM that good, though.

LVSteelersfan
03-09-2009, 04:36 PM
In this market with so many free agents coming up in the next couple years, someone has to go. BMac was not worth what he wanted. We have players that will fill in fine and I am sure we will draft accordingly. We should be ok at almost all of the skill positions (as long as Sweed pans out) so we can concentrate on Oline, Dline and defensive backfield people.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2009, 05:25 PM

That is the problem. Dominique Foxworth is not worth the $7mil he got. Ron Bartell is worth the $7mil that he got. McFadden is probably a guy that has market value of $5.5-6mil a season............but not the $8mil that Drew talked him into believing.

I bet if he stayed with his old agent he might have got a 4-year $25million deal, but because he asked for too much, he got left standing up when the music stopped. There is a difference between wanting more and being too greedy............you lose B-mac.

Preacher
03-09-2009, 06:05 PM

NOTHING happened.... except the fact that when it was all said and Done, B-mac wanted to get big money.

It wasn't there for him. So he signed a two year contract, which means he can negotiate that big deal NEXT OFFSEASON, or go into FA while still in his 20's and 2 years experience starting.

The Steelers simply do NOT play ball that way. No WAY they would have signed him for only 2 years, knowing they would have to renegotiate next summer, or be in the same situation.

I have said it before and I will say it again.

I TRUST THE FO. Thank goodness it is them running the team.

Preacher
03-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Hey, and I think I'm good enough at my job to be paid $250,000. And I'm sure that so would my friends, if they stood to benefit from my earning power. Doesn't necessarily mean I actually AM that good, though.

Hey... I'll take 20 % of your income to represent you at your next interview! :wink02:

Cheppy
03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
2 years 10 mill??. Someone please tell me why the Steelers didn't sign him for that price tag? If it was a 4 year, 24 million dollar deal I'd understand. But this just makes no sense.

Cheppy
03-09-2009, 10:17 PM
NOTHING happened.... except the fact that when it was all said and Done, B-mac wanted to get big money.

2 Years, 10 mill for a mid 20's established corner who's adept at stopping the run & pass & is a capable blitzer is big money? Gimme a break. Makes no sense. The front brass can say that the draft is laden with quality secondary guys but if they signed McFadden they'd be in a better position to address their needs on the offensive & defensive lines. 2 years 10 million:screwy:

scsteeler
03-09-2009, 10:58 PM
B-Mac must have wanted to go somewhere he can be considered THE MAN on the team. Here in Steeler Town B-Mac will be out shined by Troy, Harrison, Woodley and and a few others on the team. Like someone said earlier he may not have wanted to be just a team player.

Hope he made the right move because if it does not work out and he has to come back it will be for far less than he is being paid now.

I wish Arizona would start drafting from college instead of spending all of there time trying the be the Steelers, Hell if Whiz had his way they would transplant the entire team to Arizona.

stlrtruck
03-10-2009, 07:32 AM
I think this had more to do with his Pride more than the money. He put himself out there and very few came knocking with the payday his agent told him he would get. He didn't want to come home with his tail between his legs to roost in a house where he almost alienated himself because he wanted $$$$$

But Pride comes before the Fall. He's another traitor (see Nate Washington) and while I'm thankful for his services over the years he is now the enemy.

Good luck B-Mac, I hope that $10 million a year was worth the opportunity to never sniff another Super Bowl!

fansince'76
03-10-2009, 12:52 PM
2 Years, 10 mill for a mid 20's established corner who's adept at stopping the run & pass & is a capable blitzer is big money? Gimme a break. Makes no sense. The front brass can say that the draft is laden with quality secondary guys but if they signed McFadden they'd be in a better position to address their needs on the offensive & defensive lines. 2 years 10 million:screwy:

IMO, the Steelers didn't reject the amount, they rejected the length of the deal, and from that perspective, it makes perfect sense. McFadden went for the relatively modest short-term deal now taking the gamble he's going to cash in $BIG$ 2 years from now when the deal's up as he'll still be relatively young, and he probably will as he'll stand out much more in the Cards' secondary than he would in ours. Besides, we really lose nothing with Gay in his place from what I've seen from watching them both play and he's cheaper anyway.

steelreserve
03-10-2009, 01:16 PM

If we paid everyone $5 million, we'd be about $140 million over the salary cap. So ou're going to have to let some guys like this go. Thankfully, we've got three good corners that will let us replace him and move on.

However, I'm still kind of pissed that we decided guys like Starks and Kemo were worth spending that kind of money on instead. For their talent level at their position, that's a much worse deal. And they'd be much more easily replaceable. Bad trade-off if you ask me.

Preacher
03-10-2009, 01:29 PM

As HTG said, he is gambling. I was speaking of the big money he will be looking for in his next contract, which he will be looking to negotiate next year. Please, follow the context of the argument.

It wasn't there for him. So he signed a two year contract, which means he can negotiate that big deal NEXT OFFSEASON, or go into FA while still in his 20's and 2 years experience starting.

The Steelers simply do NOT play ball that way. No WAY they would have signed him for only 2 years, knowing they would have to renegotiate next summer, or be in the same situation.

Phoenixus
03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
What'd he tell BMac? "Yer just a few years away from your prime. Don't take a long term deal. We'll get the BIG money in 2 years when there's no cap." Rosenhaus should be dipped in @#$%.

I'm pretty sure, looking at the contract... that was the idea behind it.

CPanther95
03-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Let him go - no way he was worth 3.5 times Harrison's salary. :chuckle:

Stillers33
03-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Well another steeler lost to west pgh, well good luck, didnt we just beat the cardinals? hmm

steel striker
03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Nice knowing you bmac. I find it funny that when everyone who was anyone leaves the burgh is usually never heard of again. I though he was a pretty good player but, now since he signs with the cards he makes me shake my head.

lilyoder6
03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
i guess b-mac did not like the cold weather here in pittsburgh and wanted 2 go somewhere warm

GodofGridiron
03-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Steelers arent and werent doing any two year deals on a young DB. Thats just not business smart. Guys that young with that kinda talent you do 4-5 yr deals, maximize your use out of em then if theres an abatement of productivity you release em at the tail end of that contract.

Hampton- could get a two year deal.
Hines- could get a two year deal.
Keisel-- two year deal.

A young guy goin for his second contract......now way in hell.

B-Mac is tryin to get paid in the future. He knows Pitt wont pay him Nate Clement or Foxworth money........ever. So, he'll try and get an audition with AZ, and hopefully he'll get them to bid against another suitor, say, SF who pays DB's very handsomely and get that mega payday.

Regardless, we were never in the running for this guys services. Dont kid yourself. Sad thing for BMac is that the Cards success hinges on Warner old legs. And like many have alluded to, you may never hear from him again.

But we'll just re-tool and try to defend our title. Its funny how Arizona soooooooooooo much wants to emulate what we are that they target our coaches, players and our style.

Emulation is the sincerest form of ........wantin to be great. I sense desperation in Glendale.

tony hipchest
03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
But we'll just re-tool and try to defend our title. Its funny how Arizona soooooooooooo much wants to emulate what we are that they target our coaches, players and our style.

Emulation is the sincerest form of ........wantin to be great. I sense desperation in Glendale.its a sound business model that delivered almost immediate success.

whats funny is how none of the great belichick clones have been able to do what ken whiz did with one of the sorriest franchises out there (and yes, the cardinals were even sorrier than the jets or browns.)

The_WARDen
03-11-2009, 12:14 PM
its a sound business model that delivered almost immediate success.

whats funny is how none of the great belichick clones have been able to do what ken whiz did with one of the sorriest franchises out there (and yes, the cardinals were even sorrier than the jets or browns.)

yeah, but for every Ken Whiz..you have a Haslett/Gainey/Lebeau.

steelreserve
03-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Yeah, because the clones don't cheat as much, and they don't have the salary cap exemption. Duh.

edit: Also, as soon as Warner retires or has a bad year, Arizona will be right back in the dumper for a decade. Their whole franchise is a house of cards right now. Pun definitely not intended, and I really wish there was a better metaphor, but there's not.

fansince'76
03-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Anybody can luck out for one season - see the Browns' 10-6 season with a very near-miss of the postseason in 2007 with Grimace coaching them. The Cards were simply fortunate that they play in arguably the shittiest division in the league where a 9-7 record is good enough to bring home the division crown more years than not. They caught lightning in a bottle during the playoffs and played above themselves, but that's not the first time that's ever happened either. Can they replicate the same success in '09? My money's against it.

steelreserve
03-11-2009, 03:02 PM
The Cards were simply fortunate that they play in arguably the shittiest division in the league where a 9-7 record is good enough to bring home the division crown more years than not.

In all fairness, someone in that division usually finishes 10-6 or 11-5. Then again, that probably has a lot to do with the fact that they get six easy games a year. I feel bad for the Lions. Put them in that division and they'd have a shot at being a four-win team. Which in that division, would have the fans thinking "playoffs" right until the end.

BlastFurnace
03-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Looks like Leigh Bodden did the same thing that BMAC did.

He turned down a 4 year / $16 Million Dollar deal in February from the Patriots. What he signed was a 1 year / $2.25 Million dollar deal with the agreement that he could not be franchised. He wants to test the market again in an uncapped year.

www.profootballtalk.com