PDA

View Full Version : AJ Smith/Chargers make final Restructure offer to LT

XxKnightxX
03-09-2009, 10:06 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3963743

he San Diego Chargers have presented LaDainian Tomlinson with what they say is their final restructured contract offer in an attempt to hold onto the five-time Pro Bowl running back.

AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The offer is for less money than the $24 million Tomlinson is scheduled to make by 2011. The terms of the restructuring are not known.

Tomlinson has three years remaining on an eight-year contract he signed in 2004 that, at the time, made him the highest-paid running back in NFL history.

Tomlinson, 29, battled injuries to his toe, knee and groin last season and had a career-low 292 rushing attempts and 1,110 yards. He has played his entire eight-year career with the Chargers, but he's been injured at playoff time the last two years.

His current contract, like many in the NFL, was backloaded and the Chargers are looking for salary cap flexibility.

"I feel that I need to make it very clear that I have NO intentions of leaving San Diego," Tomlinson wrote on his Web site in January. "San Diego is where my career started and where I'd like it to end."

NFL.com Video
LaDainian Tomlinson plays despite a groin injury and scores a TD in a 23-17 win vs. the Colts.
Last month, the Chargers placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on speedy running back Darren Sproles, virtually assuring that he will be back for the 2009 season.
Sproles had been scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. The Chargers tendered him a one-year contract offer of approximately $6.62 million, the average of the top five salaried running backs from 2008.

General manager A.J. Smith said in February the team had plans to begin speaking with Sproles' agent, Gary Wichard, about a long-term deal.

At the time, Smith shot down speculation that putting the tag on Sproles spelled the end of Tomlinson's record-setting tenure in San Diego.

"This has nothing to do with LT," Smith said. "Our intention is to pursue LT.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know guys, what do you think? I think hes a goner and goest to the Saints and joins his protege Reggie Bush(whos 75% progress of becoming a bust).

but then again he can join the RB club with us for vet minimum :chuckle:

Or he can go to his Home State and join the Texans

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
it's kinda hard to predict, since they aren't telling what the offer is...i can't see him excepting less than 6 million average a year.LT will try to play the victim card, but if any player is dumb enough to believe they'll see that full amount money on these heavily backloaded contracts, shouldn't be allowed to sign one.

TXSteelerFan
03-09-2009, 11:15 AM
[URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3963743"]
I dont know guys, what do you think? I think hes a goner and goest to the Saints and joins his protege Reggie Bush(whos 75% progress of becoming a bust).

but then again he can join the RB club with us for vet minimum :chuckle:

Or he can go to his Home State and join the Texans

I dont see him going to the texans as they are pertty set on Slaton who is a very young and good looking running back. Unless they sign him for vet minimum but i suspect LT will want to go to a better team if he even thinks about taking that kind of money.

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 11:36 AM
seattle , clevland , cincy , tampa , arizona, ...are about the only teams that i can think of that really don't have a feature back, and might consider a trade for tomlinson. san diego should offer tomlinson and a fourth, to arizona for boldin. tampa has the cap room , to make a trade for him.but there in a position where they could probably draft wells, or moreno.

rbryan
03-09-2009, 01:08 PM
This is why you don't break the bank to sign any RB. As good as LT was, a RB's shelf life isn't long enough for any to warrant that kind of a contract.

It's the same reason why I think you should never waste a #1 draft pick on a RB. An avg RB gets the job done behind a decent OL and the best RB prospects will still fail with a mediocre OL.

XxKnightxX
03-09-2009, 02:03 PM
This is why you don't break the bank to sign any RB. As good as LT was, a RB's shelf life isn't long enough for any to warrant that kind of a contract.

It's the same reason why I think you should never waste a #1 draft pick on a RB. An avg RB gets the job done behind a decent OL and the best RB prospects will still fail with a mediocre OL.

Barry Sanders managed to prove that wrong but then again, Something like him will never be seen again probably.

BrandonCarr39
03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Somehow-I can see him going to the Saints for the simple reason being his old buddy Drew Brees is there, and especially if Deuce McCalister has nothing left in the tank.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Somehow-I can see him going to the Saints for the simple reason being his old buddy Drew Brees is there, and especially if Deuce McCalister has nothing left in the tank.

That is what I thought. Pierre Thomas, LT and Reggie Bush is almost too full of a backfield though. How about the Iggles?? LT, Westbrook and a rookie pick.......wow.

Galax Steeler
03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
In a radio interview with XX 1090 AM, Drew Brees admitted to conversing with former teammate LaDainian Tomlinson about the possibility of LT joining the Saints if the opportunity arises.
"For me, I’m just waiting for the opportunity if he is available to come and snatch him," Brees said. Asked if he told LT that he wanted him as a teammate, Brees replied, "I think that’s pretty obvious, don’t you think?" The National Football Post reported last week that the Saints would have a "high level of interest" if LT becomes available.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=561

ShutDown24
03-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Deuce McCallister was cut from the Saints roster some time ago, if my memory serves correctly.

The_WARDen
03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
That is what I thought. Pierre Thomas, LT and Reggie Bush is almost too full of a backfield though. How about the Iggles?? LT, Westbrook and a rookie pick.......wow.

except that the bEagles throw the ball 80% of the time and LT would be useless in that system.

Preacher
03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
seattle , clevland , cincy , tampa , arizona, ...are about the only teams that i can think of that really don't have a feature back, and might consider a trade for tomlinson. san diego should offer tomlinson and a fourth, to arizona for boldin. tampa has the cap room , to make a trade for him.but there in a position where they could probably draft wells, or moreno.

Hey... when stupid trades are in question . . . Oakland is ALWAYS in the picture.

silver & black
03-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey... when stupid trades are in question . . . Oakland is ALWAYS in the picture.

Normally, I would agree, but since we have McFadden, Bush, and Fargas, I don't see it happening. Personally, I don't think LT has much left.

Galax Steeler
03-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Normally, I would agree, but since we have McFadden, Bush, and Fargas, I don't see it happening. Personally, I don't think LT has much left.

I think L.T still has a few good years ahead of him he was plagued with injuries last year and had to split carries with Sproles.

silver & black
03-10-2009, 06:07 AM
I think L.T still has a few good years ahead of him he was plagued with injuries last year and had to split carries with Sproles.

I'm sure he can play a few more years, but he is not what he used to be. Not only that, I think he's a whiny little @#$%^&. that mopes on the sideline behind his dark face shield, while his team mates play in the big games. I recognize his talent, but I don't think much of his character.

revefsreleets
03-10-2009, 11:16 AM
There are two kinds of teams in this league: Those that pay what players are STILL worth, offering reasonable contracts based on what the team can expect performance-wise over the life of the contract, and teams that reward players for PAST performance. These are the teams that write fat checks for has-beens and never see a proper return on their investment. The Jets and Skins jump right out as two teams that practice the latter. The Steelers learned their lesson ONCE with Chad Scott, and are now solidly the former.

BrandonCarr39
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
There are two kinds of teams in this league: Those that pay what players are STILL worth, offering reasonable contracts based on what the team can expect performance-wise over the life of the contract, and teams that reward players for PAST performance. These are the teams that write fat checks for has-beens and never see a proper return on their investment. The Jets and Skins jump right out as two teams that practice the latter. The Steelers learned their lesson ONCE with Chad Scott, and are now solidly the former.

The Titans used to be one of them too. In the late 90's/early this decade, despite coming up short, it looked like they had built a dynasty for years to come, until they ended up cutting 1/2 of their team b/c of using this philosophy, which lead to a salary cap explosion. I mean they had to cut some VERY key players(i.e. Lorenzo Neal-their bread and butter run game went down the toilet).

BTW-a friend of mine is a big Steelers fan-this was back in '04 when he told me about this-his BIGGEST gripe with Cowher was his loyalty to Chad Scott and Dwayne Washington. He was telling me how Cowher lobbied management heavily to keep these 2 guys, despite their age and high salaries.

BrandonCarr39
03-10-2009, 01:38 PM

It seems to me now that the Chargers have their sights set on Chris Wells in the draft. Some mock drafts have the Eagles taking him, while a few others have the Chargers. Overall, I haven't seen any mock ones where teams picking higher than SD may be taking him.

Overall-seeing here that SD is ready to move on sans LT, it's starting to make sense. The rest of their team is pretty much set, FWIW.

revefsreleets
03-11-2009, 12:02 PM
For all the knocks on Beanie's health, he only missed like 3 games over 3 years.

INSTANT superstar stud NFL RB.

tony hipchest
03-11-2009, 04:28 PM
It seems to me now that the Chargers have their sights set on Chris Wells in the draft. Some mock drafts have the Eagles taking him, while a few others have the Chargers. Overall, I haven't seen any mock ones where teams picking higher than SD may be taking him.

Overall-seeing here that SD is ready to move on sans LT, it's starting to make sense. The rest of their team is pretty much set, FWIW.

in todays 3rd mock, draft kirwan has the texans taking him with the 15th pick, right before the chargers selection.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80f330d5&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

anyways the chargers and lt have reached a re-structure agreement where tomlinson is only guaranteed the $6.7 mil he was due to make this season anyways. gives them an easy out if they need it next year.