PDA

View Full Version : Illegals might get stimulus jobs

SCSTILLER
03-09-2009, 09:50 AM
As posted in USA today, I had a hunch this was going to happen.

LOS ANGELES Tens of thousands of jobs created by the economic stimulus law could end up filled by illegal immigrants, particularly in big states such as California where undocumented workers are heavily represented in construction, experts on both sides of the issue say.
Studies by two conservative think tanks estimate immigrants in the United States illegally could take 300,000 construction jobs, or 15% of the 2 million jobs that new taxpayer-financed projects are predicted to create.

They fault Congress for failing to require that employers certify legal immigration status of workers before hiring by using a Department of Homeland Security program called E-Verify. The program allows employers to check the validity of Social Security numbers provided by new hires. It is available to employers on a voluntary basis.

"They could have deterred this, but they chose not to," said Steven Camarota, director of research for the Center for Immigration Studies.

He said a federal requirement that employers use E-Verify would have reduced, if not eliminated, the hiring of immigrants in this country illegally.

An advocacy group for immigrants, illegal and legal, did not disagree with the 300,000 estimate. Camarota says the estimate is based on data from the U.S. Census Bureau's Current Population Survey and other independent findings that 15% of all construction workers in the USA are either illegal immigrants or lack the status of legal immigrant authorized to work.

But Jorge-Mario Cabrera, director of education for the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, said it is impossible to predict with certainty because it is unknown how many jobless immigrant construction workers may leave the U.S., frustrated by the economic recession, before the new spending produces jobs.

He questioned the Center for Immigration Studies' motives.

"Those are fear tactics. 'The immigrants are here to take your job,' " Cabrera said. "I think that we really should be focusing on economic progress for all."

The center is a Washington policy organization that, its website says, "seeks fewer immigrants but a warmer welcome for those admitted." Cabrera says his group believes unauthorized immigrants working in this country contribute to the economy.

A similar hiring estimate was produced in a report in February by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank. Senior research fellow Robert Rector wrote, "Without specific mechanisms to ensure that workers are U.S. citizens or legal immigrants authorized to work, it is likely that 15% of these workers, or 300,000, would be illegal immigrants."

The version of the stimulus bill passed by the House of Representatives included a provision requiring employers to check immigration status with the E-Verify system before hiring. The Senate did not include such a provision, and it was not in the version sent to President Obama. The Obama administration has delayed until at least May 21 a Bush administration executive order requiring federal contractors to use the E-Verify system in hiring. It had been scheduled to take effect in January. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce filed suit seeking to block the requirement, joined by the Associated Builders and Contractors and other business organizations.

The business groups and immigrant advocacy groups argue that the E-Verify database is riddled with errors that could result in millions of workers being wrongly identified as not authorized for work. They say requiring its use before hiring would impose a cost burden on employers and open them to lawsuits.

Camarota said illegal immigrants working in construction are concentrated in California, Arizona and Texas along the border with Mexico, as well as Florida, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina and Georgia.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/employment/2009-03-08-immigrant-jobs_N.htm

And alot of the money the illegal immigrants receive for the work will go back to their families in other countries, not back into our economy

GBMelBlount
03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
They fault Congress for failing to require that employers certify legal immigration status of workers before hiring by using a Department of Homeland Security program called E-Verify. The program allows employers to check the validity of Social Security numbers provided by new hires. It is available to employers on a voluntary basis.

"They could have deterred this, but they chose not to," said Steven Camarota, director of research for the Center for Immigration Studies.

He said a federal requirement that employers use E-Verify would have reduced, if not eliminated, the hiring of immigrants in this country illegally.

These immigrants are here ILLEGALLY and are taking jobs away from Americans just as corporations that move overseas or go out of business due to strangling taxes. This will certainly shore up the liberal base once they are given citizenship and can vote. I love America, just not the unethical stench that emanates from our government.

KeiselPower99
03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Ill post a video later of someone from Obamas cabinet saying that the jobs created shouldnt go to WHITE construction workers.

revefsreleets
03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
If you really think about it, doesn't this make about as much sense as anything else the current government is doing to "help us"?

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 12:02 PM
15% of all construction workers in the USA are either illegal immigrants or lack the status of legal immigrant authorized to work. i would say thats a conservative estimate...:coffee:

steelreserve
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
I think problems like this are mostly the fault of various government officials, from federal all the way down to local, who simply refuse to get off their asses and enforce the immigration laws because they'll be denounced as "insensitive" or "racist" by some small but vocal band of morons that supports minorities. You'd be amazed at some of the crap that goes on out here in California where the local officials almost view it as a badge of honor to undermine immigration policy.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but San Francisco declares itself a "sanctuary city" for illegal immigrants, and they actually go so far as to take illegal immigrants that have been arrested for a crime and spend thousands of dollars apiece to whisk them off to private prison camps at an undisclosed location so the federal immigration authorities can't come find them to deport them. At least, they used to do that until a few of the illegals escaped while they were awaiting trial and murdered someone.

So anyway, there's a whole collapsed system in place that's allowing this to happen -- in this case, it's not just Omgbama. Although that doesn't really make it right to throw a lot of money at them knowing full well what's going to happen.

Dino 6 Rings
03-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Not a surprise, next the illegal immigrant workers will form unions. And then be allowed to legally vote.

SCSTILLER
03-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I think problems like this are mostly the fault of various government officials, from federal all the way down to local, who simply refuse to get off their asses and enforce the immigration laws because they'll be denounced as "insensitive" or "racist" by some small but vocal band of morons that supports minorities. You'd be amazed at some of the crap that goes on out here in California where the local officials almost view it as a badge of honor to undermine immigration policy.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but San Francisco declares itself a "sanctuary city" for illegal immigrants, and they actually go so far as to take illegal immigrants

I know what you mean! North Charleston, SC was declared a sanctuary city, not sure if that still holds true. But what is really sad about the illegals here, is that the Border Patrol School is in Charleston, SC. I can go to several gas stations and see 50-100 of illegals hanging out waiting to get picked up for work. Why can't the Border Patrol School have a little on the job training incorporated into their curriculum.

Rumors have already begun to surface down here that the illegal population will profit the most from the construction/infrastructure jobs that SC is supposed to get from the *AHEM* stimulus bill. Anytime you see a side walk being poured, a bridge worked on, etc. you don't see many "Americans" working at the project.

steelreserve
03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I know what you mean! North Charleston, SC was declared a sanctuary city, not sure if that still holds true. But what is really sad about the illegals here, is that the Border Patrol School is in Charleston, SC. I can go to several gas stations and see 50-100 of illegals hanging out waiting to get picked up for work. Why can't the Border Patrol School have a little on the job training incorporated into their curriculum.

Rumors have already begun to surface down here that the illegal population will profit the most from the construction/infrastructure jobs that SC is supposed to get from the *AHEM* stimulus bill. Anytime you see a side walk being poured, a bridge worked on, etc. you don't see many "Americans" working at the project.

Yeah, if you wanted to actually catch these people, it's not too difficult to figure out where to go. That kind of thing is so blatant here that I have no doubt any law enforcement officer with half a brain could be rounding up 10 or 20 people on immigration violations in any given day. They just ... don't, because it would be unpopular and wouldn't fit in with our state's spirit of liberalism and sensitivity and political correctness.

klick81
03-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Anytime you see a side walk being poured, a bridge worked on, etc. you don't see many "Americans" working at the project.

So how do you figure out which ones are "real" Americans? Have you taken the time to ask for their legal documents? Or do you just figure that because they look Mexican, then they must be Mexican nationals? Just wonderin...

KeiselPower99
03-09-2009, 05:52 PM
A few years ago they voted to update the 3 high schools here in Parkersburg. On a weekend there was construction work goin on AFTER the workers went home. When one of the workers came into the pizza joint I was working and this was brought up to him he flipped out and 3 days later a hotel full of em was busted. They government was paying the union to let them work. My father in law works at a sawmill here and the guys who stacked the lumber after it was cut were ALL moved to other postions so that 7 MEXICANS could do that job and get paid 3 dollars from the Co. and 10 from the Government. Mind you the Americans was only getting paid 8 an hr.

MasterOfPuppets
03-09-2009, 06:06 PM
i hope this article isn't seen by our ......."neighbors" ...i can picture about 10,000,000 of em running for the border now.....:doh:

MACH1
03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
A few years ago they voted to update the 3 high schools here in Parkersburg. On a weekend there was construction work goin on AFTER the workers went home. When one of the workers came into the pizza joint I was working and this was brought up to him he flipped out and 3 days later a hotel full of em was busted. They government was paying the union to let them work. My father in law works at a sawmill here and the guys who stacked the lumber after it was cut were ALL moved to other postions so that 7 MEXICANS could do that job and get paid 3 dollars from the Co. and 10 from the Government. Mind you the Americans was only getting paid 8 an hr.

Yep, I used to work for a place that did that crap, cept it was with Laotians, Bosnians and Croatians. They learned one thing real quick though. Never ever, ever put Bosnians and Croatians in the same shop together in large numbers unless you want a small war breaking out. :laughing:

Hammer Of The GODS
03-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I could go on for days about this issue. But I'm too tired. Besides anyone with a properly functioning brain knows how fuct up the immagration problem in this country is. This is where the following smiley sums it all up perfectly..........

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I could go on for days about this issue. But I'm too tired. Besides anyone with a properly functioning brain knows how fuct up the immagration problem in this country is. This is where the following smiley sums it all up perfectly..........

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Some of these wouldn't go awry!

:rocket::ak47::bringit::wantsome::dualies::m16: :m16::dualies::wantsome::bringit::ak47::rocket:

X-Terminator
03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
This is just wrong on so many levels...

Dino 6 Rings
03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
This kind of goes along with this thread...

Home Depot at standoff with laborers who swarm customers in bid for work

In recent years, the Hispanic day laborers have become as much a part of the scenery at The Home Depot west of Lake Worth as the fence and hedges, and as more lose full-time jobs in construction or landscaping, their numbers seem to have grown.

The Home Depot is not pleased. Blaming the job seekers for causing accidents and driving away customers, the world's largest home improvement retailer has been working to discourage them from rushing vehicles in the driveways and trespassing in the parking lot.

But the need for work keeps pushing the men forward, and the result has been an entrenched standoff.

Garcia, an undocumented Guatemalan national who had a regular job in construction until being laid off late last year, said he and the others only want to work and have no other way to find steady pay.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/03/08/a1a_homedepot_0309.html?imw=Y

KeiselPower99
03-10-2009, 12:08 PM

In recent years, the Hispanic day laborers have become as much a part of the scenery at The Home Depot west of Lake Worth as the fence and hedges, and as more lose full-time jobs in construction or landscaping, their numbers seem to have grown.

The Home Depot is not pleased. Blaming the job seekers for causing accidents and driving away customers, the world's largest home improvement retailer has been working to discourage them from rushing vehicles in the driveways and trespassing in the parking lot.

But the need for work keeps pushing the men forward, and the result has been an entrenched standoff.

Garcia, an undocumented Guatemalan national who had a regular job in construction until being laid off late last year, said he and the others only want to work and have no other way to find steady pay.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/03/08/a1a_homedepot_0309.html?imw=Y

He could always go back to his homeland and find work. Ever think of that one Juan???

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2009, 12:56 PM

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2009/03/08/a1a_homedepot_0309.html?imw=Ysounds like a freakin good place for the INS to show up AND DO THIER JOB !!!

SteelCityMom
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I have no problem with immigrants coming to America to find work or start businesses at all...but become a citizen first dammit and pay your taxes like the rest of us. Bush was way to soft on this and Obama will most likely be as soft if not more soft on the issue.

I find it appalling that the government can't take care of something so simple as either removing illegals or forcing them to become citizens and pay back taxes. It's been a problem for far too long.

steelreserve
03-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I find it appalling that the government can't take care of something so simple as either removing illegals or forcing them to become citizens and pay back taxes. It's been a problem for far too long.

Yeah ... it doesn't really send the right message, either, if you can just ignore the law so blatantly and nobody does anything about it.

Muppet13
03-10-2009, 03:46 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

HometownGal
03-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Who didn't see this coming? :rolleyes:

With the way things are going, we Americans are going to be the minority in our own country. :shake02:

Michael Keller
03-10-2009, 03:58 PM

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but San Francisco declares itself a "sanctuary city" for illegal immigrants, and they actually go so far as to take illegal immigrants that have been arrested for a crime and spend thousands of dollars apiece to whisk them off to private prison camps at an undisclosed location so the federal immigration authorities can't come find them to deport them. At least, they used to do that until a few of the illegals escaped while they were awaiting trial and murdered someone.

So anyway, there's a whole collapsed system in place that's allowing this to happen -- in this case, it's not just Omgbama. Although that doesn't really make it right to throw a lot of money at them knowing full well what's going to happen.

The "Sanctuary City, San Francisco, represented by the CARE TAKER OF ALL, the illustrious Speaker of the House, one Nancy Pillosi , the Cheshire Cat Lady.

This leadership will now build a solid constituency through the borders and from the streets. Ladies and gentlemen this is the Quiet Civil War being fought without a gun being shot.

THUS FAR!!!!!

Dino 6 Rings
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Pretty sure they are firing shots in that Civil War on our Southern Border.