PDA

View Full Version : Smith edges Dungy for Coach of the Year

Brady12
01-07-2006, 01:44 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/01/07/bc.fbn.coachofyear.ap/index.html

Smith had 24.5 votes
Dungy had 20.5 votes
Belichick had 2 votes (for whatever reason)
Coughlin, Lewis, Holmgren had 1

tony hipchest
01-07-2006, 01:50 PM
more proof of the pats being disrespected.

i think smith was a good option especially the way he rebounded from a poor season with a rookie qb.

how the hell did cowher not win it last year (especially with 2 new co-ordinators)

who won it last year? was it ried?

3 to be 4
01-07-2006, 02:05 PM
im surprised Dick Vermeil didnt win it. he sure campaigned hard enough for it with all the weeping. What a guy!
Cowher should have won it last year. hes a great regular season coach! and last year was amazing.
this year Smith and Lewis for sure, but what about Jack Del Rio?? 12-4! without his starting QB for a good portion. Coughlin yes. But how about Gibbs?

tony hipchest
01-07-2006, 02:19 PM
actually, del rio was slighted. not one vote? thats hard to believe. i think with lewis, coughlin and, holmgren, you could kind of predict and expect this type of season coming along for several years. nothing too impressive just doing what they should be doing.

belichick- hell he shouldve done better, after all he has brady and vinatieri. i actually think his season has been disappointing up to this point (they did have a full roster when they lost to the panthers)

3 to be 4
01-07-2006, 02:29 PM
well, the Panthers ARE pretty good. and it was at Carolina. its true, the first half of the season the injury excuse grew old. only one mainstram Boston media type, Michael Felgder of the Boston Herald, called the coaches and players out on that. But overall, 10-6
after losing Harrison,Light, and Koppen for the year, Bruschi for the first half, Seymour for a significant time, Dillon for a significant time, Faulk for most of the season. its not bad at all. the real test starts tonight. the Belichick votes sound like more of a lifetime achievement thing.

personally, i think Brady was disrespected by not get any votes. haha

tony hipchest
01-07-2006, 02:37 PM
well, the Panthers ARE pretty good. and it was at Carolina. its true, the first half of the season the injury excuse grew old. only one mainstram Boston media type, Michael Felgder of the Boston Herald, called the coaches and players out on that. But overall, 10-6
after losing Harrison,Light, and Koppen for the year, Bruschi for the first half, Seymour for a significant time, Dillon for a significant time, Faulk for most of the season. its not bad at all. the real test starts tonight. the Belichick votes sound like more of a lifetime achievement thing.

personally, i think Brady was disrespected by not get any votes. haha

lol you can bet he feels disrespected

and i look at all the starters the steelers lost last year and cant believe cowher wasnt recognized for fielding a 15-1 team. duce staley, maddox (which was an unknown at the time blessing in disguise or else they go 9-7) c. scott, k. bell, c. hampton, m. smith,

3 to be 4
01-07-2006, 02:42 PM
i agree, Cowher should have indeed won it last year, especially guiding a rookie QB

tony hipchest
01-07-2006, 02:59 PM
i agree, Cowher should have indeed won it last year, especially guiding a rookie QB plus he did pick the right people to replace tim lewis and mike mularkey (atleast lebeau deservedly won assistant coach of the year) and lewis is on several teams radars for a h.c. position, or their just using him to fill the minority interview guidelines but i do think he is a quality coach and it was a gutsy yet bold move for cowher not to stand pat and fire him.

LambertIsGod58
01-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Lovie Smith deserves this award...glad to see the rightful person receive it. My best friend, no one, expected Chicago to be where they are.

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Lovie Smith deserves this award...glad to see the rightful person receive it. My best friend, no one, expected Chicago to be where they are.Could'nt agree with you more. Look what Dungy has in his arsenal compared to Smith.

Brady12
01-07-2006, 03:24 PM
if no one has said it yet, Marty Schottenheimer won last year. I agree with that... They were like 4-12, to 12-4.

tony hipchest
01-07-2006, 03:40 PM
if no one has said it yet, Marty Schottenheimer won last year. I agree with that... They were like 4-12, to 12-4. thats right! i remember disagreeing with it so much i vowed to erase it from my memory.

4-12 to 12-4 = 8 game improvement
6-10 to 15-1 = 9 game improvement

simple math tells me the steelers had a greater improvement from a crappy season.

marty had a pretty healthy team too.

Ambridge
01-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Lovie Smith deserves this award...glad to see the rightful person receive it. My best friend, no one, expected Chicago to be where they are.

My sentiments as well.
Dungy's had consistant success in his career while Lovie brought Chicago out of no where this season.

Prosdo
01-07-2006, 08:05 PM
I agree with Lovie Smith deserving this award. He has turned the team around well with adversity early on.

MichiSteeler
01-07-2006, 09:24 PM
SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW NORV TURNER DIDNT WIN IT!!!!??!?!?!!?! lol:grin: :funny: :toofunny: :grin:

RoethlisBURGHer
01-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I think Smith deserved it more than Dungy.

Everyone was expecting Dungy's team to have a phenominal season,to het HFA throughout the playoffs.Nobody expected anything out of the Bears,especially after Grossman went down in the pre-season.