PDA

View Full Version : Former Steeler Duce Staley ......where are they now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I just read on James Walkers AFC North blog about good ole #22.

Staley is in my line of work as part of the media. He has a sports talk radio show in his home state of South Carolina and is a sideline reporter in the fall for the University of South Carolina football program, which is his alma mater.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth

I wonder if he wears that sweatshirt on the sidelines for his reporter gig. :noidea:

tony hipchest
03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
lol.

yeah, he got this gig for his old school right after he "retired". good to see he's still at it.

his 1st 8 games as a steeler, he really showed he could be "the next bus".

then after the patriots cheap shotted him, jerome came in and showed he was still the one and only "original" bus.

staley flopped but the signing coulda/woulda/shoulda been big.

KeiselPower99
03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Duce was amazing for the beginning of that season and just seemed like he couldnt keep from getting hurt.

MACH1
03-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Yeah, it would of been nice if he coulda stayed healthy. He looked like he was going to be a beast.

pepsyman1
03-10-2009, 12:40 AM
The whole Deuce thing was very frustrating. I think at some point he got on Cowher's bad side, but there was never any explanation of why he wasn't playing. He started one game his last year with us and averaged 5 yards a carry and then he was basically never heard from again. Cowher even mentioned that Deuce was important for the playoffs, but we never heard from him again. He was deactivated for a number of games but never placed on the injury list. Always wondered what happened to him.

Galax Steeler
03-10-2009, 03:24 AM
That is ashamed he didn't work out better then what he did. He showed some good flashes and then he just went down hill with injuries.

tucker6
03-10-2009, 03:57 AM
Duce was amazing for the beginning of that season and just seemed like he couldnt keep from getting hurt.
I live north of Philly, and knew this was going to be a bad signing for just that reason. Duce was always getting nicked up, and I had plenty of Eagle fans laughing at me for this signing. He could have his great game along with the bad game or the no-show game. Any resemblance to any current RB we have??

All-in-all, this was a BAD call by our front office.

SteelMember
03-10-2009, 06:48 AM
He looked great in black and gold...with shades of grey. :chuckle:
Duce, wtf are your hands that cold?

http://site.steelcityauctions.com/ducesweats.jpg

Dino 6 Rings
03-10-2009, 07:16 AM
In one of the highlights of Super Bowl XL I remember seeing Cowher turn to Duce and say "Sorry I didn't get you a carry" and Duce said "That's alright" and Cowher said "Got you a ring though"

In hindsight, it would have been nice to see Duce get one carry in the Super Bowl.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2009, 08:31 AM
I live north of Philly, and knew this was going to be a bad signing for just that reason. Duce was always getting nicked up, and I had plenty of Eagle fans laughing at me for this signing. He could have his great game along with the bad game or the no-show game. Any resemblance to any current RB we have??

All-in-all, this was a BAD call by our front office.

Do you not know the 11th commandment?? THOU SHALT NOT CHALLENGE OUR FRONT OFFICE DECISIONS !!!!! :chuckle:

Remember, they are professionals and know much more about what they are doing compared to a bunch of hacks on this board. Like drafting Fred Gibson instead of Chris Canty :banging:

tucker6
03-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Do you not know the 11th commandment?? THOU SHALT NOT CHALLENGE OUR FRONT OFFICE DECISIONS !!!!! :chuckle:

Remember, they are professionals and know much more about what they are doing compared to a bunch of hacks on this board. Like drafting Fred Gibson instead of Chris Canty :banging:
For the most part, I like how our front office operates. They take things in stride, and draft for stability, which I love. With so many decisions to make, you're bound to have a boo boo or two. Duce was one of those mistakes, IMHO. He was a piece of fine china at the Running of the Bulls in Spain. I know it's a strong word, but he seemed to quit football at some point, and didn't mind standing on the sidelines. I don't blame the FO for that. Stealing a paycheck is on the player.

revefsreleets
03-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Smartassery aside, Duce was a big strong RB, was an excellent blockera nd could catch just about anything out of the backfield...a complete RB. He was never supposed to be an everyday back, and was going to be a nice complimentary committee guy. It was bad luck that he was injured so badly, that's all...

As for what he's doing now, I imagine him somewhere...standing around....in all gray sweats...collecting a huge paycheck....

SCSTILLER
03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Didn't Duce lose his SB ring in a strip club or something like that? Maybe he pawned it to buy more sweat suits. The only thing missing in his sideline attire were leg warmers and a head band.

Phoenixus
03-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Naww some of you guys have it wrong...

Dude Staley was legit. He was a good power runner and was good for the Steelers, but they're right, he kept getting injured. When Willie Parker came in it pretty much ended Duce Staley's time here.

Shame, because his running style really fit the Steelers much closer than Parker's ever did. It's just that Parker is so fast they really can't say no.

stlrz fan
03-11-2009, 03:09 PM
He got his contract and phoned it in. He was talented but injury slowed him down and he was just biding time. As good as he was they weren't going to get their moneys worth out of him.

SteelersMongol
03-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Smartassery aside, Duce was a big strong RB, was an excellent blockera nd could catch just about anything out of the backfield...a complete RB. He was never supposed to be an everyday back, and was going to be a nice complimentary committee guy. It was bad luck that he was injured so badly, that's all...

As for what he's doing now, I imagine him somewhere...standing around....in all gray sweats...collecting a huge paycheck....

Agreed. I liked him very much. It's just sucked the way it ended.

As 4 what he's doing right now, I don't care as long as it's bad stuff that comes as "The Steelers former running back ..." :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I liked Duce too. He played well before the injuries took him down and he was apparently a good guy to have on the team.

I just thought some of you might enjoy the fact that he is a "sideline reporter" as that is how he spent his last couple seasons with the Steelers. Best of luck to Duce, but I'm sure he's doing just fine.

steelerdave1969
03-12-2009, 06:34 PM
I just read on James Walkers AFC North blog about good ole #22.

Staley is in my line of work as part of the media. He has a sports talk radio show in his home state of South Carolina and is a sideline reporter in the fall for the University of South Carolina football program, which is his alma mater.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth

I wonder if he wears that sweatshirt on the sidelines for his reporter gig. :noidea:

To be honest with ya, I dont care where the guy is... he was such a waste of $$$ for the Steelers for Wayyyyy Toooooo Longggggg

BlastFurnace
03-12-2009, 06:51 PM
I thought a good career for him was a catalog model for Academy.