PDA

View Full Version : With the 32nd Pick of the 2009 NFL Draft....

The Definiti0n
03-10-2009, 09:42 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers Select Alphonso Smith Corner Back from Wake Forest.

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
sean smith maybe.....:popcorn:

Steely McSmash
03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
William Beatty would be the best IMO.

Texasteel
03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
sean smith maybe.....:popcorn:

I agree MOP, Smith would be the one DB that would interest me at that point, unless one of the big names slide.

Steeldude
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
IMO, alphonso smith is a late 2nd/3rd round pick. he is short, not fast and not overly quick. i feel he would be a reach in the 1st.

the report on sean smith is he likes to talk trash and is profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery. he certainly has the physical attributes(6' 4"/214), but i don't know about having another anthony smith type mouth on the team.

SaskSteeler
03-10-2009, 05:05 PM
while i also dont want another anthony smith... he could also turn out to be more like a joey porter, a guy with a lot of talent who brings a swagger to our team and is able to back up his words with his play

BehindSteelCurtain
03-10-2009, 06:27 PM
To be honest with you, I think the Steelers will trade up like they have in recent years.

Texasteel
03-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Joe Green was in town recently. He made the statement that he didn't thing that Jason Phillips injury would hurt his draft status very much if any.
Anyone thing we may go ILB early on day 2?

lilyoder6
03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
IMO, alphonso smith is a late 2nd/3rd round pick. he is short, not fast and not overly quick. i feel he would be a reach in the 1st.

the report on sean smith is he likes to talk trash and is profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery. he certainly has the physical attributes(6' 4"/214), but i don't know about having another anthony smith type mouth on the team.

who cares if he talks trash... at least u know he ain't no bitch.. lol
it's part of the game and evry player does it even tho they might not shout it at the public

ShutDown24
03-10-2009, 07:34 PM
No one. They'll move up or down in my opinion. In the ideal situation up, but if that doesn't present itself I say we trade down.

St33lersguy
03-10-2009, 08:29 PM
What about the cream of the crop of the interior line like Unger, Mack, Duke

Texasteel
03-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Still don't care for Unger much, I see him as a pure zone blocker. I thought he got pushed around badly at the Senior Bowl. How ever there is still a bunch of very good interior linemen in this draft, Mack, Wood, Robinson, Urbid, Green, Vasquez ( my favorite) and a couple others. Plus we could draft a RT and move Colon inside.

steelerdave1969
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM

Cant say that I agree with your selection of DB's there, but anything can happen I guess

steelerdave1969
03-10-2009, 09:55 PM

I like Max Unger myself and wouldnt mind at all seeing him in black n gold. Alex Mack might be the best available Center for sure, but Unger can fill in in several different positions until they figure out where to use him for certain, which in my mind would have to be Guard. Duke Robinson is worth the Steelers using serious consideration of selecting in the 1st round in my mind.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Unger is good at several positions, but not great at any 1 position.

I watched Unger get beat up by Mika Kane of Cal, Fili Moala of USC and a variety of players from Ok St. this season, most notably Derek Burton Jr. from OSU. None of those guys is Shawn Rogers, Ty Warren, Haloti Ngata. So why take a guy that is weak as a center in the hope he can be an OK guard for the Steelers??

I'd pass on Unger all day if I was the Steelers. Alex Mack, Duke Robinson, Eric Wood, Kraig Urbik, Louis Vasquez, Trevor Canfield, are all better fits on the interior line than Unger.

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Joe Green was in town recently. He made the statement that he didn't thing that Jason Phillips injury would hurt his draft status very much if any.
Anyone thing we may go ILB early on day 2?
i'd like to maybe see brinkly or mckillop in the 4th or 5th.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM

I second that wish!!! :tt02:

devilsdancefloor
03-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Cornelius Lewis OT Tennessee State 64 332 what about this guy?

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Cornelius Lewis OT Tennessee State 64 332 what about this guy?willie colon clone ...probably be a better guard....:noidea:

SteelMember
03-11-2009, 09:05 AM

I'd go with Darius Butler or DJ Moore before Smith. :noidea:

Texasteel
03-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Thats pretty much what I've been thinking. I still say Brinkley looked huge at the combine. Not fat, just huge.

This guy would look great in Black and Gold.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Thats pretty much what I've been thinking. I still say Brinkley looked huge at the combine. Not fat, just huge.

This guy would look great in Black and Gold.

6'2" 252 lbs is what Brinkley weighed in at. He posted some good speed numbers too.

Jamie Dukes said he reminded him a lot of a guy he played with ............Jesse Tuggle. I like that for an ILB prospect to replace Farrior in a couple years.

Texasteel
03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
6'2" 252 lbs is what Brinkley weighed in at. He posted some good speed numbers too.

Yea, I read that, but when I saw him line up for the 40 I thought he looked like a DE in with the LBs. Don't take this as a man crush, but the guy is built to be a steeler LBer.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Yea, I read that, but when I saw him line up for the 40 I thought he looked like a DE in with the LBs. Don't take this as a man crush, but the guy is built to be a steeler LBer.

I know. Your man crush is on Mack, Gilbert, Beatty, Loadholt or Vasquez. :chuckle:

triphahn
03-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Tyson Jackson?

The Definiti0n
03-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Tyson Jackson?

He is my second choice.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Tyson Jackson?

He Scares be big time!!! He didnt impress me at all against Alabama. Against Ole Miss, he was matched up on their TE most of the game and was handfighting the guy and never got upfield on him. In their Bowl game, he didn't stand out either. Marlon Favorite and Ricky Jean Francois looked more impressive from LSU.

When a guy that is touted as the best DE in the draft can be handled by the Ole Miss TE single handedly in pass protection and in off tackle running plays.........it makes me think he isnt worth a 1st round pick. Jackson may end up being the next Richard Seymour.......but I have him slated to be the next Courtney Brown. :noidea:

I hope somebody takes Jackson before we do.

Texasteel
03-21-2009, 05:19 PM
He Scares be big time!!! He didnt impress me at all against Alabama. Against Ole Miss, he was matched up on their TE most of the game and was handfighting the guy and never got upfield on him. In their Bowl game, he didn't stand out either. Marlon Favorite and Ricky Jean Francois looked more impressive from LSU.

When a guy that is touted as the best DE in the draft can be handled by the Ole Miss TE single handedly in pass protection and in off tackle running plays.........it makes me think he isnt worth a 1st round pick. Jackson may end up being the next Richard Seymour.......but I have him slated to be the next Courtney Brown. :noidea:

I hope somebody takes Jackson before we do.

You and I talked about Jackson many times, and you know that I was a big Jackson fan at the beginning of the year. How ever I have to agree that his play has steadily gone down hill all year. I think he may still have the talent, but no heart.

SteelersTilIDie
03-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Sean Smith, CB Utah

triphahn
03-21-2009, 06:08 PM
With the contingent at Ohio including defensive coordinator you have to think they were looking at Jenkins or Laurinitis. Don't think they would trade up so Laurinitis may be being considered

St33lersguy
03-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I guess Alex Mack, I would love to see him as a Steeler. Of course if there is a steal at pick #32 they will probably go that direction

Dylan
03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
duke robinson...would love to see him in black n gold

The Lakelander
03-24-2009, 10:36 AM
No one. They'll move up or down in my opinion. In the ideal situation up, but if that doesn't present itself I say we trade down.

I don't recall any time in the past the Steelers actually moved down in the draft? Can anyone verify?

Also, ours is a team that relies heavily on the draft ... we are not agressive in free agency, so getting NFL caliber players is all about the draft.

That said ... if anything, I think we will trade up in the draft to fill a need. And it won't be a CB! We can get a decent CB in Round 3. We will trade up to get a key cog in the O-Line or to get a DE that can play in LeBeau's system ... and Tyson Jackson is that guy. He'd have one year (minimally) behind Aaron Smith to groom and he has the requisite size, speed, strength to eventually replace Aaron Smith. Guys like this are rare finds in the NFL draft and this guy is a serious prospect.

revefsreleets
03-24-2009, 11:57 AM
With the contingent at Ohio including defensive coordinator you have to think they were looking at Jenkins or Laurinitis. Don't think they would trade up so Laurinitis may be being considered

They could just as easily be looking at Boone, or Freeman, or Washington, maybe even Robiskie. IMO Jenkins and Laurinaitis will be long gone by 32.

I still think it's possible they package a RB and try to move up. Not sure who they have targetted though...

SunshineMan21
03-24-2009, 10:24 PM
I actually think Laurinaitis will be there at 32, although Jenkins will be gone. There are tons of good LB in this year's draft class (Curry, Cushing, Maulaugua, Brown, a bunch of other guys . . .) and Laurinaitis didn't perform particularly well at the combine.

I would love to see Laurinaitis in Pittsburgh . . . then maybe we'll have to start playing a 2-5 front. :) I'm not really put off by his slow combine numbers--they guy can straight-up play.

The Definiti0n
03-25-2009, 03:35 AM
I actually think Laurinaitis will be there at 32, although Jenkins will be gone. There are tons of good LB in this year's draft class (Curry, Cushing, Maulaugua, Brown, a bunch of other guys . . .) and Laurinaitis didn't perform particularly well at the combine.

I would love to see Laurinaitis in Pittsburgh . . . then maybe we'll have to start playing a 2-5 front. :) I'm not really put off by his slow combine numbers--they guy can straight-up play.

If they are looking a Laurinaitis then maybe they feel Timmons isnt the answer at middle linebacker

revefsreleets
03-25-2009, 12:32 PM

Only a few GM's would actually look at his combine as being more imporatnt than his 4 year highlight film tearing it up against top-tier D1A competition. If he lasts past 20 I'll eat my hat...

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Only a few GM's would actually look at his combine as being more imporatnt than his 4 year highlight film tearing it up against top-tier D1A competition. If he lasts past 20 I'll eat my hat...

With or without sauce??? I think there is a very good chance that he goes past 20. Lots of other talented kids on the board and many GM's will see him as Paul Pozluzny,but have Andy Katzenmoyer in the back of their mind. My personal thought is that he goes to Atlanta.

revefsreleets
03-26-2009, 08:17 AM
His intangibles will win them over. He's a student of the game, a born leader, and can do it all (watch him drop back into coverage...not many college LBers can do it at all, let alone as adeptly as him).

It's a red herring to think that his 40 time is going to really keep GM's away from him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I liked this assessment of him before the combine. He was ranked as the #21 overall prospect in this article.

James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State 6-3 240 lbs,
Laurinaitis is by no means an impact player on the defensive side of the ball rather a steady, three down linebacker. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/19/big-board/index.html

revefsreleets
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Part of the reason I NEVER do mock drafts is I'm uncomfortable picking players I'm not 100% familiar with, and, let's face it, there are only a few Phil Steele's in this world.

Even Kiper is guessing based on hype and highlight reels on 80% of these guys.

The last mock I remember doing I left Vince Young out of the 1st round, and everyone bashed me for either forgetting or being stupid. But I knew from watching the kid play a lot that he relied far too much on athletics and just wasn't NFL QB material MENTALLY. Scoring a 6 on the wonderlic certainly didn't help his (lost) cause.

And now the kid is a bust.

I'm not Nostradamus, but I've watched every Buckeye football game for as long as I can remember, so I feel pretty comfortable picking the kids who should make it and those that won't. I'm telling you, barring a freak injury, Lil Animal and Malcolm Jenkins are iron clad steel pipe locks to both be studs in the NFL.

triphahn
03-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't recall any time in the past the Steelers actually moved down in the draft? Can anyone verify?

Also, ours is a team that relies heavily on the draft ... we are not agressive in free agency, so getting NFL caliber players is all about the draft.

That said ... if anything, I think we will trade up in the draft to fill a need. And it won't be a CB! We can get a decent CB in Round 3. We will trade up to get a key cog in the O-Line or to get a DE that can play in LeBeau's system ... and Tyson Jackson is that guy. He'd have one year (minimally) behind Aaron Smith to groom and he has the requisite size, speed, strength to eventually replace Aaron Smith. Guys like this are rare finds in the NFL draft and this guy is a serious prospect.

I'd love to see the steelers draft him but not at the cost of taking themselves out of contention for a solid pick on the OL.