PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith to take pay cut

BrandonCarr39
03-10-2009, 01:37 PM
49ers | A. Smith to take pay cut
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:42:40 -0700

Matt Maiocco, of The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports the San Francisco 49ers announced that they have agreed with QB Alex D. Smith on a pay reduction as part of a new two-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. "We have reached an agreement with Alex and his agent to keep him as a member of the San Francisco 49ers," general manager Scot McCloughan said. "Alex expressed a deep interest to remain with the team and that feeling was mutual."

AllD
03-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Pay cut to make the roster. Better than no pay, not to mention you know he isn't starving.

devilsdancefloor
03-10-2009, 03:33 PM
thats a ohhhh i keep my job if i do this move lol (holding clip board)

steelreserve
03-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Dumb move by the 49ers. What, are they hoping for a controversy the first time Hill (or whoever else they select as their "QB of the future") has a rough stretch? They'd be better off just kicking Smith's ass to the curb and moving on.

Even if he can still play -- and he's had several years to show that but has still left serious doubts -- sometimes it's in everyone's best interests if they make a clean break instead of dragging the whole thing out over the course of a number of years.