PDA

View Full Version : Obama backs teacher merit pay/urges education reform

tony hipchest
03-10-2009, 04:01 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-03-10-obama-teachers_N.htm?csp=34

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama on Tuesday embraced a new approach to education that would reward good teachers, remove limits on charter schools and lengthen both the school day and the school year.
These proposals, which constitute the heart of Obama's vision of 21st century education reform, were sure to generate loud criticism, particularly from teachers' union.

Educators oppose charter schools because they divert tax dollars away from traditional public schools. Merit-based systems for teachers have been anathema to the teachers' unions, a powerful force in Obama's Democratic Party, for many years.

Obama acknowledged that some of his proposals would be unpopular with both parties.

"Too many supporters of my party have resisted the idea of rewarding excellence in teaching with extra pay, even though we know it can make a difference in the classroom," he said, delivering the first major education speech of his presidency before a meeting of the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. "Too many in the Republican Party have opposed new investments in early education, despite compelling evidence of its importance."

But he argued that a far-reaching overhaul of the nation's education system is an economic imperative that can't wait despite the urgency of the financial crisis and other matters.

"Despite resources that are unmatched anywhere in the world, we have let our grades slip, our schools crumble, our teacher quality fall short, and other nations outpace us," he said. "The relative decline of American education is untenable for our economy, unsustainable for our democracy, and unacceptable for our children. We cannot afford to let it continue. What is at stake is nothing less than the American dream."
The ideas Obama promoted were nearly all elements of his presidential campaign platform last year. He only barely mentioned the reauthorization of the Bush-era No Child Left Behind Act, which introduced sweeping reforms that schools are struggling to meet without the funding to match. Obama said his administration would "later this year" ensure that schools get the funding they need and that the money is conditioned on results.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-03-10-obamaeducation_N.htm?csp=34

WASHINGTON — President Obama outlined an ambitious education agenda on Tuesday that included the suggestion that states and local schools consider longer days and academic years.
"The challenges of a new century demand more time in the classroom," Obama told the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in a speech with sweeping goals but few specifics.

The goals include improved early childhood education programs, higher standards in elementary and high schools, better teacher pay and recruitment, and expanded college aid programs.

Obama tied education reform to addressing the economic crisis, saying a better educated workforce will enhance the nation's long-term prosperity.

"Education is no longer just a pathway to opportunity and success, it is a prerequisite," Obama said.

In a 40-minute address, Obama outlined five general areas of education reform, including many proposals he made during his presidential campaign:

•Early childhood education. Obama pledged new "early learning challenge grants" to states for programs to help infants prepare for kindergarten, citing research that such programs can lead to better math and reading scores later on.

The recently signed stimulus bill includes $5 billion in new funds for Head Start and Early Head Start, Obama said. Overall, the $787 billion stimulus package includes $41 billion in total grants to local school districts.

•K-12 improvements.

Obama called for "world class standards" in math and science, as well as "21st Century skills" such as "problem-solving and critical thinking, entrepreneurship and creativity."

There should also be less differences between the 50 states when it comes to "benchmarks for academic success," Obama said. He said 4th grade readers in Mississippi are scoring nearly 70 points lower than students in Wyoming, yet both sets of students are getting the same grade.

Higher standards are the goal of the No Child Left Behind Act, the Bush administration's signature education initiative. Obama did not call for amending the No Child Left Behind law, but wants it to "live up to its name by ensuring not only that teachers and principals get the funding they need, but that the money is tied to results."

•Recruiting and keeping better teachers.

Obama again advocated merit pay for teachers, a proposal opposed by allies in the teachers unions and the Democratic Party. He also said states and school districts should take steps "to move bad teachers out of the classroom."

Citing some of the opposition, Obama said education has been hurt over the years by the "stale" political debates in Washington. He urged Democrats to support merit pay and said Republican should acknowledge a bigger government role in helping schools.

•Promoting innovation and excellence.

The idea would be to include more charter schools, another idea opposed by many Democrats. Obama called on states to lift caps on the number of charter schools, but also to shut down those that aren't working.

Obama also discussed his idea for a longer school calendar, noting that U.S. children spend a month less in school than their South Korean counterparts. "That is no way to prepare them for a 21st Century economy," he said.

The United States also needs to address an "epidemic" of rising drop-out rates, Obama said.

•Higher education.

Obama proposed increases in Pell grants, pegging them to annual inflation rates. He also cited a $2.5 billion program to help college students "persist and graduate," saying a college degree has never been more important than it is now.

devilsdancefloor
03-10-2009, 04:05 PM
First off i LOVE teachers..:hug::hug:

they should be paid on how good of a job they do, if they can not teach then they should find another job or find out why they are not getting there messag across.

and we need to cut way back on the admin side of schools and maybe hirer a few more teachers or pay the good ones. :thumbsup::noidea::tt03:

HometownGal
03-10-2009, 04:40 PM
While I think it is great that Obama wants to reward teachers who display excellence and integrity, as they well should be rewarded, in light of that debacle of a stimulus package he just approved and signed which will put our children and grandchildrens' financial futures and stability in jeopardy, I find this statement just a wee bit hypocritical:

What is at stake is nothing less than the American dream."

Go figure. :noidea:

Muppet13
03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
While I think it is great that Obama wants to reward teachers who display excellence and integrity, as they well should be rewarded, in light of that debacle of a stimulus package he just approved and signed which will put our children and grandchildrens' financial futures and stability in jeopardy, I find this statement just a wee bit hypocritical:

Go figure. :noidea:

I agree. One thing I hope he doesn't do though is make the school day longer with all his "education reforms".:banging:

AllD
03-10-2009, 04:49 PM
He is moving towards the middle with this plan.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I agree our eductation system is a disaster. I think teachers should be graded just like their students are. I went through highschool and had some awful teachers, and now in college have the same problem. Our math department has something like a 85% drop rate in lower level math courses.

Crushzilla
03-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I was actually on the fence for a while before the election.

(As a recently certified teacher) Obama's education plan broke the deadlock.

stlrtruck
03-11-2009, 07:32 AM
I appreciate the teachers today. They definitely have a lot more struggles than teachers did back in the day I was in school.

Back then they could send you to the principal's office for a whoopin'. Now, you can't look at a child wrong or their parents want to sue you.

But I hope Obama does something about these standardized tests that are in place and allows the teachers to teach real, relevant, and reliable programs and not some pre-determined studies just so the kids can pass a test and move on without really gaining knowledge.

To all the teachers, you are also among the heroes of this country!

Dino 6 Rings
03-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Now if he ends tenure so bad teachers can be fired and allows for School Vouchers, to create competition in the public schooling system, I may actually give B.O. a thumbs up on this issue.

Godfather
03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Now if he ends tenure so bad teachers can be fired and allows for School Vouchers, to create competition in the public schooling system, I may actually give B.O. a thumbs up on this issue.

I'm not sure ending tenure is a good idea. You could end up with a new school board firing qualified teachers and replacing them with campaign contributors and relatives.

Teachers can be fired for cause.

Godfather
03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Let me correct that....what I described might happen but it's an extreme case.

Something you might see more often is a teacher gets fired for not passing the star athlete even though he deserves an F.

I know a teacher in Monroe from a different message board, and he was under pressure to give a school board member's kid an inflated grade even though the kid didn't do the work that was required. He was tenured so they couldn't touch him...without tenure he would have been fired.

He ended up getting a job somewhere else because he was sick of the politics.

revefsreleets
03-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Here's my major problem with all this:

The Democrats are not taking the economic crisis seriously. NOTHING ELSE should be on their table right now. There should be an emergency session without end where everyone works every day until the economy shifts.

There shouldn't be ANY legislation set forth or discussed that doesn't have either the fiscal crisis or national security involvement. No Gitmo. No teachers. No mileage tax. No Barbie bannings etc, etc...No nothing unrealted to those two matters.

What we are seeing is a Democratic party who floated a crappy and half-assed plan based on this being a mild recession that ends soon (it isn't and it won't be) and a GOP that has basically offered nothing other than saying that the Dems plan is crappy and half-assed.

These jackasses need to get to work and fix this problem and stop paying attention to problems that won't matter if our economy completely collapses anyway...

Dino 6 Rings
03-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Here's my major problem with all this:

and a GOP that has basically offered nothing other than saying that the Dems plan is crappy and half-assed.

These jackasses need to get to work and fix this problem and stop paying attention to problems that won't matter if our economy completely collapses anyway...

actully the GOP did offer a counter plan

http://republicanwhip.house.gov/blog/2009/02/cantor-op-ed-how-to-boost-the-economy.html

revefsreleets
03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
actully the GOP did offer a counter plan

http://republicanwhip.house.gov/blog/2009/02/cantor-op-ed-how-to-boost-the-economy.html

No chance Obama could back this...too "Supply Side" and his party would lynch him for yet again being Bush II.