PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon signs tender

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Interesting

Steelers signed restricted free agent RT Willie Colon to a one-year, $2.198 million contract.

Colon, 26, has made 34 straight starts at right tackle and will stay there in 2009, barring Pittsburgh unexpectedly finding an immediate blindside replacement for Max Starks with the No. 32 pick. The Steelers could then kick Colon inside and put Starks at right tackle, his natural position.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

Texasteel
03-10-2009, 06:36 PM
If we get Loadholt he will be taking that RT spot in a year or two and Colon will be inside.
Personally, I think Colon would make a hell of a guard.

BKAnthem
03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah he is a superior run blocker and an average pass protector.....the steelers should try to steal Munchak from The Titans....i never liked Zierlein...

NJarhead
03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Do you think if we just started all our drives 1st and 15, the refs would Willie a little slack with the laundry? :noidea: I mean, at least this way we can game plan for it....ya know. :chuckle:

Although, he does recover nicely here:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/2/2/744298/a-season-personified-by-on

lilyoder6
03-10-2009, 07:17 PM
it will be interesting to see what happens.. b/c if they can get a tackle that is uber "yea i said uber" good then we could move colon to rg

truesteelerfan
03-10-2009, 07:39 PM
I know I've read a lot of talk about moving Colon to RG here on this forum....but does anybody know if Tomline & Co have even considered it? It would be nice to see him try it for a bit in preseason, see if its something he really has in him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2009, 07:47 PM
If Loadholt is there with the #64 pick I would like to see them pick him. He could be a solid RT for the Steelers for years to come.

Colon was a college OT that has played RT in the NFL despite not having great height and arm span. I think he would be a great guard and there has always been talk of him playing there, but Faneca, Simmons, Kemo have always been there......not any more.

Fire Haley
03-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Loadholt was a bust at the senior bowl. Slow and sloppy.

4th rd pick at the best.

Kris Farris II?

http://sportingnewstoday-cdn.texterity.com/tcprojects/sportingnewstoday/sportingnewstoday/inbox/58671/imgpages/100/snt20090124_0005_fg.png

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Loadholt showed well at the combine and Scouts inc. now has him rated as the #7 OT in the draft.........a 2nd round projection.

Phil Loadholt/OT/Oklahoma: Loadholt was less than inspiring at the Senior Bowl last month, but pulled it together in Indianapolis. He weighed in at 332 pounds, 11 less than the Senior Bowl. Loadholt's 40 times were not impressive, yet his workout stood out. He looked very athletic and moved exceptionally well on his feet. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/21/scouting.combine/

The Senior Bowl was so.....February. :rolleyes:

devilsdancefloor
03-10-2009, 10:46 PM
If we get Loadholt he will be taking that RT spot in a year or two and Colon will be inside.
Personally, I think Colon would make a hell of a guard.

:iagree:
it would probably cut down on his false starts as well.

Yeah he is a superior run blocker and an average pass protector.....the steelers should try to steal Munchak from The Titans....i never liked Zierlein...

i have been wondering what John Kolb is doing i think eh would be a hell of a OL coach. I think he was strength coach after his playing days. But just hmmmm i think he would bea hell of a Oline coach

Galax Steeler
03-11-2009, 03:34 AM
I don't see why they wouldn't give it a try letting him move to rg.It couldn't hurt nothing.

Texasteel
03-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Loadholt showed well at the combine and Scouts inc. now has him rated as the #7 OT in the draft.........a 2nd round projection.

Phil Loadholt/OT/Oklahoma: Loadholt was less than inspiring at the Senior Bowl last month, but pulled it together in Indianapolis. He weighed in at 332 pounds, 11 less than the Senior Bowl. Loadholt's 40 times were not impressive, yet his workout stood out. He looked very athletic and moved exceptionally well on his feet. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/02/21/scouting.combine/

You have to admire a kid that sees a problem and does something about it, like Loadholt and Beatty did. Unlike what we saw out of a couple other players.

Just between you and me, and everyone else that reads this, I have a feeling that Loadholt has a very good chance of being a Steeler next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2009, 08:13 AM
You have to admire a kid that sees a problem and does something about it, like Loadholt and Beatty did. Unlike what we saw out of a couple other players.

Just between you and me, and everyone else that reads this, I have a feeling that Loadholt has a very good chance of being a Steeler next year.

I'm not so sure.

I still think that Loadholt will not be a good NFL LT, but could be a really good RT for this team that can play LT in a pinch. I would not mind him being a Steeler.

XxKnightxX
03-11-2009, 08:14 AM

Wow Im impressed at Loadholt from what I have just read. Being a former Big Ugly myself I saw the whole Senior Bowl practices involving the Offensive line and to me Loadholt was looking very sloppy besides his massive frame, and it solidified someones reason (dont know who told me), that size isnt everything if you cant move ahem*Max Starks* ahem. But Starks has greatly improved his play and if we Draft Loadholt then this might be his successor.

But Im wondering guys, Imagine Loadholt 6'8, Capizzi 6'9, Starks 6'8, Hartwig 6'4, and Hills 6'6? , all on the same line? WOW guys to hell with the Cowboys overrated line, well plow everyone on the field.

The_WARDen
03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
JOY! Wa-friggin-HOO! Same ole crap...

:banging::banging::banging::banging:

OneForTheToe
03-11-2009, 08:46 AM
But Im wondering guys, Imagine Loadholt 6'8, Capizzi 6'9, Starks 6'8, Hartwig 6'4, and Hills 6'6? , all on the same line? WOW guys to hell with the Cowboys overrated line, well plow everyone on the field.

Reminds me of a scene in Caddy Shack.

Ty Webb: Oh I don't keep score (Judge Smails).

Smails: then how do you measure yourself against other golfers?

Ty Webb: by height

Not sure if height helps us much unless or until some of the guys on you list prove they can play in the NFL, let alone excell.

revefsreleets
03-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Yikes! Did I just see actual game performance attempt to be trumped by....combine performance?

Yet another reason I'm SO happy that this board does not make FO decisions for this team.

Fire Haley
03-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Yeah - so play on the field is second now to fantasy camp?

Riiiiight.

steelreserve
03-11-2009, 11:46 AM

I'm pretty sure height doesn't help you a whole lot in getting leverage. In fact, it probably works against you. Although having longer arms probably makes up for it in certain cases.

But basically, I think a lot of linemen are 6'4", 6'5" or so because at that size, if you're 300 pounds you have the build of a "big guy," whereas if you're 6'0" and 300 pounds, you'd just be incredibly fat. It lets you carry an extra 60-70 pounds or so without falling into the category of unathletically obese.

Texasteel
03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah - so play on the field is second now to fantasy camp?

Riiiiight.

How many of his regular season games did you see?