PDA

View Full Version : ex-Steelers DC Haslett named HC of UFL Orlando

KeiselPower99
03-10-2009, 08:33 PM
On Wednesday March 11 Jim Haslett,Dennis Green,Ted Cottrell and Jim Fasell will be introduced in San Fransico as the head coaches of the first 4 UFL franchises. Haslett in Orlando,Cottrell in New York, Green in San Fransico and Fassell in Vegas.

Dino 6 Rings
03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
From what I heard today on the Jeremy Green Podcast, this league will be a true developmental league for guys that need to work on their skills.

The way it'll work is, after the NFL teams make their final cuts in August, the UFL will pick up most of those cut players to fill the 4 team rosters. Then they will have about a 7 week season, that ends in December, and the players will only have the one season contract, so that when the UFL Season is over, the players will be free to be picked up by the NFL teams in December.

Meaning, if a team in the NFL has an injury they need to fill up for the playoff run, some guy who's been in football shape all season, playing in the UFL could be a potential option.

As long as they keep the league as this, a Developmental League that isn't trying to take out or take on the NFL, I think this thing could have legs.

KeiselPower99
03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
That is the plan for this season. In 2010 they plan on signing players from the NFL and hold a college draft. Im not to keen on all that.

xfl2001fan
03-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I think they are banking (some) on the NFL and NFLPA not getting things worked out. If something like that happens in 2011, then you'll see this upstart developmental league suddenly become a potential contender.

From a business standpoint, it's almost win-win for the UFL. If the NFL survives, they still act as a developmental league. If the NFL goes into a strike type scenario, a lot of these players suddenly have jobs. Yes, it's at significantly reduced pay...but little pay is still better than no pay. The league becomes more popular and will have the potential to expand.

It's almost a way of forcing the NFL owners hands in the negotiations...becuase the players have their "out".

St33lersguy
03-14-2009, 01:01 PM
This is just another minor league that will dissolve in a few years

steelerdave1969
03-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Good luck to coach Hasslet and the league, but it is running at the wrong time of the year for sure, so it will not last long.

Godfather
03-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I wonder if he'll sign Aaron Brooks and refuse to bench him :sofunny:

lilyoder6
03-15-2009, 09:03 PM
so basically it will be something like nfl europe but during the actual NFL season...

so it will be like the minor league of the nfl.. so when teams need someone they could have say a call up like in baseball