PDA

View Full Version : McFadden's departure means Gay likely to start for Steelers

mesaSteeler
03-10-2009, 08:59 PM
McFadden's departure means Gay likely to start for Steelers
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2009/wwhi022609.htm
By Mike Wilkening ProFootball Weekly

Updated at 7:10 p.m. EDT Tuesday, March 10

The departure of CB Bryant McFadden to Arizona opens the door for third-year CB William Gay to step into the starting lineup, with dependable veteran Deshea Townsend as insurance.

Gay started four games last season, all when McFadden was out of the lineup with a broken arm. In 16 regular-season games in 2008, Gay notched 41 tackles, defended seven passes and made his first career interception.

McFadden, 27, who was regarded as one of the top players available at his position in free agency, reportedly signed a two-year, $10 million contract with Arizona. McFadden, who has 18 career starts and seven interceptions in four NFL seasons, is expected to start opposite Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in Arizona.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm good with this. I openly questioned Gay's deep speed and ability to stay with WR's on a 9-route. I still think its a problem, but safety help and maybe some speed training in the offseason can help him.

I was a bit concerned with giving him the start as a 3rd year guy. But I am no Gay basher!! :wink:

MasterOfPuppets
03-10-2009, 10:32 PM
like i said in another thread, gay started against , SD,cincy, dallas, and NE ....THE secondary didn't miss a beat against the 7th, 9th, and 13th, ranked pass offenses. :popcorn:

Galax Steeler
03-11-2009, 03:46 AM
I'm good with this. I openly questioned Gay's deep speed and ability to stay with WR's on a 9-route. I still think its a problem, but safety help and maybe some speed training in the offseason can help him.

I was a bit concerned with giving him the start as a 3rd year guy. But I am no Gay basher!! :wink:

I might be stupid here but what does 9-route mean.:noidea:

stlrtruck
03-11-2009, 07:09 AM
And there's a part of me that thinks we just upgraded our secondary.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I might be stupid here but what does 9-route mean.:noidea:

Its just a straight fly pattern. Most WR's learn a basic passing tree of routes and it becomes 2nd nature. Here is an example.

http://www.trinityflag.org/PassingTree.pdf

XxKnightxX
03-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Its just a straight fly pattern. Most WR's learn a basic passing tree of routes and it becomes 2nd nature. Here is an example.

Now if he can cover that Damn 4 route that Mason runs on us all the damn time then I will be extremely happy with him.

4 route- Deep In

lilyoder6
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM

i hope u do know that teams prob have different routes at those numbers,,

for example.. for me a 1 is a fade 2 is 2 yrd comback"yea stupid i know" 3 was a 5 yr out.. 4 was a 2 step slant.. and then so on..

and then those numbers have a total different meaning if u are in the slot position

revefsreleets
03-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm not counting Townsend out. Why? Because every year is the year he gets counted out, and every year he ends up surprising.

Preacher
03-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I'm not counting Townsend out. Why? Because every year is the year he gets counted out, and every year he ends up surprising.

Too true.

I do hope that Gay breaks in this year, mainly because I want a him to get settled into the position early in his career, while we have a strong D Corp.

I also like the idea of Deshea sitting on the bench-- playing the 3rd CB role and helping coach the kid.

aclark99
03-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I am not sold on Gay. I know he performed ok last season filling in for McFadden. However, when McFadden came back there was more consistency in the secondary. Gay is undersized and isn't that great of a tackler. I see big problems forthcoming.

Galax Steeler
03-11-2009, 05:22 PM

Thanks for the info El-Gonzo I just learned something today.:thumbsup:

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
undersized is so overrated wen it comes to cornerbacks i mean look at sheppard and samuel they 5'10 just like gay its a matter of how high they can jump and to me gay jumps high towards the ball he will be just fine and as tackling is concern he kan work on that doin camp!

Preacher
03-11-2009, 05:50 PM
McFadden's departure means Gay likely to start for Steelers
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2009/wwhi022609.htm
By Mike Wilkening ProFootball Weekly

Updated at 7:10 p.m. EDT Tuesday, March 10

The departure of CB Bryant McFadden to Arizona opens the door for third-year CB William Gay to step into the starting lineup, with dependable veteran Deshea Townsend as insurance.

Gay started four games last season, all when McFadden was out of the lineup with a broken arm. In 16 regular-season games in 2008, Gay notched 41 tackles, defended seven passes and made his first career interception.

McFadden, 27, who was regarded as one of the top players available at his position in free agency, reportedly signed a two-year, $10 million contract with Arizona. McFadden, who has 18 career starts and seven interceptions in four NFL seasons, is expected to start opposite Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in Arizona.

In the end, doesn't seem like this article goes into the file of "DUH!"

We had 4 CB's. one of the starters is getting quite old. That means the other two would be seriously challenging him this year. Of those two, one left.

Which leaves one, and he started a number of games last year.

How in the WORLD does this article get written and published? May I have that job?

MasterOfPuppets
03-11-2009, 05:55 PM
I am not sold on Gay. I know he performed ok last season filling in for McFadden. However, when McFadden came back there was more consistency in the secondary. Gay is undersized and isn't that great of a tackler. I see big problems forthcoming.would you care to clarify what was " MORE CONSISTENT " when bmac was in the lineup, compared to gay ? cause i'd sure as hell like to know., because the stats sure as hell don't show it......

SD ....................164 YDS........0 TD'S .......2 INTS
CINCY...............168.................1......... .........1
NE......................189................0...... .............2
DALLAS.............210.................1.......... ........2

2 tds , 7 picks........if anything they played BETTER , when he started.

tony hipchest
03-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I also like the idea of Deshea sitting on the bench-- playing the 3rd CB role and helping coach the kid.the 3rd cb on the steelers (and many other teams) is practically a starter anyways.

many teams (including the steelers) almost use the nickel as their base package to combat the prevalent 3 wr sets and spread offenses. notice how much time timmons was getting? with mcfadden going down last year we definitely need a #4 (gay last year) who can step in and hold his own for 4 games or so.

i wont be suprised to see cb with the 1st pick.

aclark99
03-11-2009, 06:08 PM
when you consider NE & Cincy - it didn't matter who was in the secondary. Cassel & Fitzpatrick just don't cut it. Romo is very erratic however, it was cold & snowy the day they played us. As for SD, that was a great game - if SD had any type of WR we would have been in for a long day. Our front seven had great days also. I beleive Polamalu & Townsend scored the two TD's. Gays INT was at the end of the day. Our corners need serious upgrading.

aclark99
03-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I agree our 1st pick will be very interesting because we have serious needs at OL and CB. Free agency just isn't making us better especially when you only have two visitors since free agency began.

Preacher
03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
the 3rd cb on the steelers (and many other teams) is practically a starter anyways.

many teams (including the steelers) almost use the nickel as their base package to combat the prevalent 3 wr sets and spread offenses. notice how much time timmons was getting? with mcfadden going down last year we definitely need a #4 (gay last year) who can step in and hold his own for 4 games or so.

i wont be suprised to see cb with the 1st pick.

I think it will fall to BPA at given positions actually. Within the position of CB, OL, DL, they will pick BPA, unless it is an absolute reach, or there is an absolute STUD as a LB.

The Duke
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
when you consider NE & Cincy - it didn't matter who was in the secondary. Cassel & Fitzpatrick just don't cut it. Romo is very erratic however, it was cold & snowy the day they played us. As for SD, that was a great game - if SD had any type of WR we would have been in for a long day. Our front seven had great days also. I beleive Polamalu & Townsend scored the two TD's. Gays INT was at the end of the day. Our corners need serious upgrading.

Upgrading? no

Depth? yes

I was honestly never too high on Bmac. The way I see it Gay played just as good and just as much time as he did. Now, I've been a gay fan (no pun intended :chuckle:) since the beginning, but I think he is going to be great.

And your excuse about it being cold and snowy is useless. It's always going to be cold and snowy in pittsburgh anyway

tony hipchest
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I think it will fall to BPA at given positions actually. Within the position of CB, OL, DL, they will pick BPA, unless it is an absolute reach, or there is an absolute STUD as a LB.looking at draft boards and other teams needs it is very probable a CB is the BPA.

plus, in monatery terms, CB's are almost more valuable than LT's (just ask nnamdi).

MasterOfPuppets
03-11-2009, 06:24 PM
ummmmm......the 2 tds is how many the secondary gave up.... and correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't cassell have 2 or 3 straight weeks of 400 yds passing coming into the steeler game ? and i believe NE WAS # 13 in the NFL in passing yds. San Diego was # 7 in passing yards so there goes that arguement....but nice try...:thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2009, 06:32 PM
i hope u do know that teams prob have different routes at those numbers,,

for example.. for me a 1 is a fade 2 is 2 yrd comback"yea stupid i know" 3 was a 5 yr out.. 4 was a 2 step slant.. and then so on..

and then those numbers have a total different meaning if u are in the slot position

Its actually a pretty basic tree that is almost universally used in football. In different systems, guys will use names for the routes...........like most west coast offenses use very similar name terminology.

If you ever hear an analyst like Rod Woodson or Deion Sanders talk about a "nine" or a "five" its just them drawing on a generic term they have used since youth football.

http://flag.nflyouthfootball.com/start_a_league/flag_start_for_coaches92c9/flag_start_for_coaches_playsmain92c9/flag_start_plays292c9.htm

tony hipchest
03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
excellent interview with mcfadden today with tim and pat on sirius. i'll paraphrase-

he was asked who would replace him and he said he honestly dont know, so tim said

"well, we all know about townsend so tell us about gay. is he ready to be a starter in the nfl?"

BM- "oh yeah, definitely. the intangible thing about him is his intelligence. its so rare for a college player to be able to come right in and be able to read the offenses and recognize their trends and be able to anticipate what they are doing".

Tim- "one thing he cant anticipate, and you should know this as well as anyone" is how hard townsend is gonna come in and battle him".

BM- oh yeah. he's been playing in this system his entire career. theres not an offense he hasnt seen, or a route a wr hasnt run. hes seen and faced it all. i call him the grizzled old vet. he's like another coach on the field".

then pat kirwan chimed in with this great anecdote-

PK- hey when you get down there dont walk in with your steelers gear on or swagg.

BM- oh no definitely not.

PK- because when i was with the jets i signed four of those steelers and they would always be wearing their steeler t-shirts and hats.

they love those colors. they love the team, they love coaches, they love what being a steeler is ALL about. its like they dont get it out of their system (laughs). i was like "c'mon guys".

great interview and i wish him all the best. i have even more confidence in gay. i knew he was kinda compared to townsend as far as FBI when he was drafted but his play and teammates backing him has it holding a bit more water.

BehindSteelCurtain
03-12-2009, 08:12 PM
No, Alphonso Smith will fill in for McFadden.

The Duke
03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
oh yeah, definitely. the intangible thing about him is his intelligence. its so rare for a college player to be able to come right in and be able to read the offenses and recognize their trends and be able to anticipate what they are doing".

that's really cool. especially when a (ex)teammate says it about you. There's no doubt in my mind that gay can handle the job. plus having ike on the other side helps him a lot

great interview and i wish him all the best. i have even more confidence in gay. i knew he was kinda compared to townsend as far as FBI when he was drafted but his play and teammates backing him has it holding a bit more water.

definitely. In fact, if gay does win the job like I expect him to, that says a lot about him considering who he had to beat

though Townsend's got me convinced he won't lose that job without a fight. :thumbsup:

No, Alphonso Smith will fill in for McFadden.

If a rookie CB can start for the steelers you might as well put him in the hall of fame. meaning- not gonna happen

CPanther95
03-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I was posting on the Cowboys forum about William Gay and it denied my post until I changed the word "Gay". :chuckle:

I remember reading about a Christian newsletter that had software that went through all news wire articles they were printing and replaced the word "gay" with "homosexual". In a sports article, they reported about Tyson Homosexual, the sprinter. :laughing:

Jackal
03-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I was posting on the Cowboys forum about William Gay and it denied my post until I changed the word "Gay". :chuckle:

I remember reading about a Christian newsletter that had software that went through all news wire articles they were printing and replaced the word "gay" with "homosexual". In a sports article, they reported about Tyson Homosexual, the sprinter. :laughing:

I'm just waiting for the first "Gay Pride" sign to get camera time at Heinz Field next year.