PDA

View Full Version : Carolina releases CB Ken Lucas

Fire Haley
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Jump!

Panthers released CB Ken Lucas.

Carolina began the day with $24,042 in cap space. The move saves $2.4M, so GM Marty Hurney can now sign his rookie class. Lucas was nearly traded two weeks ago, so clearly the 30-year-old is going to have a market.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=547

Vincent
03-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Damaged goods

http://www.fantasyphenoms.com/userfiles/image/Steve%20Smith%20Angry.jpg

Smith rearranged :kick: his face a few times. But Steve's getting better now, each and every day, in every way. :hug:

aclark99
03-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Anyone think that this guy would be of any help in our secondary? He was just released today by Carolina. Has anyone heard anything on Chris Carr or Joey Galloway. It is way to quiet on the South Side these days.

XxKnightxX
03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
FAAAGGHHHED ABOUT IT !!!!

Nah man hes not coming to us, the guy has a heavy market and hes most likely going to ask for starter money, probably like 3 to 4 mil a year so theres no discussion in him.

Fire Haley
03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
The Cards burned them all pretty good.

I'll take my chances in the draft.

XxKnightxX
03-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Damaged goods

http://www.fantasyphenoms.com/userfiles/image/Steve%20Smith%20Angry.jpg

Smith rearranged :kick: his face a few times. But Steve's getting better now, each and every day, in every way. :hug:

lol, I can just imagine how he felt after that punch, For his size Smith must pack a hell of a punch.

aclark99
03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
There are some players out there that just want to win a Super Bowl. He might just be one of those players. He is getting older and might just want that shot at a World Championship.

tony hipchest
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
the market has fallen out of the bottom for cb's.

all of the ones signed in the past few days are taking small deals for a year so they can audition, prove their worth, and hit the market again next year.

if we wanted, we could probably get him for a year and $2.5-3 mil.

aclark99
03-11-2009, 05:38 PM
when a player gets released that we are in need of why not see what true black & gold fans think.

calsteeler
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Why do people here believe we have no money to spend in free agency ? John Clayton reported that Pittsburgh was more than 26 million under the cap at seasons end. Of course this was before the stupid move of giving that Fat nobody Starkes the Franchise Tag, which now means after he signed it, and he would have been a idiot if he didn't, a 1 year ALL Guaranteed deal of 8 million dollars. If we would have just let him go, and let M.Smith go, those two combined 2008 salaries added up to over 13 1/2 million dollars. Hell we easily could have signed OT's like Jordan Gross, or the carey kid of Miami.

But even with the Starkes signing, we still have plenty of loot to spend. It's just that the Rooney's are always cheap. Gee, haven't you all figured this out yet

fansince'76
03-11-2009, 06:11 PM
But even with the Starkes signing, we still have plenty of loot to spend. It's just that the Rooney's are always cheap. Gee, haven't you all figured this out yet

You're right - they should really adopt the Daniel Snyder approach to free agency. The Redskins have been so much more successful lately after all. :coffee:

The Duke
03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Why do people here believe we have no money to spend in free agency ? John Clayton reported that Pittsburgh was more than 26 million under the cap at seasons end. Of course this was before the stupid move of giving that Fat nobody Starkes the Franchise Tag, which now means after he signed it, and he would have been a idiot if he didn't, a 1 year ALL Guaranteed deal of 8 million dollars. If we would have just let him go, and let M.Smith go, those two combined 2008 salaries added up to over 13 1/2 million dollars. Hell we easily could have signed OT's like Jordan Gross, or the carey kid of Miami.

Yep, we're definitely in the offseason :coffee:

I'd take a "cheap" owner (nevermind that huge contract he gave his qb :rolleyes:) over any other in the league

XxKnightxX
03-11-2009, 06:40 PM

yeah ok lets get rid of 2 offensive linemen WHEN GROSS AND CAREY WERENT EVEN A FREE AGENTS and not have a god damn sould fill our LT spot:rofl::toofunny:

i love how everyone Bashed the Starks signing last year and how wasteful it was, well he did start most of the season and played in the SB right, same things go for the moves that WE DONT make in the offseason.

We DRAFT, then we Develop, and we sign low key guys.

http://super-genius.org/images/flamed.jpg

Preacher
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Yep, we're definitely in the offseason :coffee:

I'd take a "cheap" owner (nevermind that huge contract he gave his qb :rolleyes:) over any other in the league

Yeah.. but cheap never wins anything does it?

:chuckle:

X-Terminator
03-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Yeah...damn those Rooneys! How dare they not overpay for players and wallow in perpetual mediocrity year after year? They're so damn cheap, all they've done is win the SB 2 out of the last 4 years! You call that successful? They're horrible, and should have sold the team to Druckenmiller! :coffee:

I swear to God, they friggin grow on trees...

fansince'76
03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah...damn those Rooneys! How dare they not overpay for players and wallow in perpetual mediocrity year after year? They're so damn cheap, all they've done is win the SB 2 out of the last 4 years! You call that successful? They're horrible, and should have sold the team to Druckenmiller! :coffee:

Yeah! And the Steelers let Faneca and Porter go because those damn tightwad Rooneys were too cheap to (over)pay them, and all we've done since is win a Super Bowl while the Jets and Dolphins haven't won a playoff game between them! Our ownership sucks ass! :coffee:

BlastFurnace
03-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Bum. No thanks.

calsteeler
03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Guys, I think you're getting the wrong impression of my post. Okay maybe calling the steelers " Cheap " was mean-spirted, and I'm sorry for that. But how about " Thriftful " ? Look, as far as the poster referencing the Redskins and Snyder, that's a ridiculous example. Yes he goes way out there. But Sntder is a stupid shopper. I mean take Haynesworth. The Skins have been in the top-5 best NFL defenses the past 8 years. So why go all-out and get a defensive player like Haynesworth who if anything will only alienate your current defensive players who may feel you're dissing them by this huge signing.

As for not spending on needs we clearly need to upgrade, like O-Line, and now a DB, suggesting a lower-level player like Lucas is not a bad idea, and certainly would not be a bad signing either fans. I mean the poster who mentioned Snyder, and the Skins, and said how have they done, all the while patting himself on the back. Well dude, what about the constant spending the Patriots do ? You wanna compare their recent sucess to ours ? Or what about us ? When it was very, very clear after Hartings retired, and we signed Sean Mahan to play Center, we Immediately went out and signed another free agent Center in hartwig cause even RAY CHARLES could see Mahan was a waste of space.

I never suggested we should foolishly spend money, or that Dan Rooney should. And I do believe it was the right thing to do to let past players like Randal-El, and even Faneca go cause they either were getting too much in the way of money..( El )..
or were highly overrated as a player..( Faneca )..
and past their prime. But, what was so god awful of the Mcfadden deal ? Look, I like Mcfadden, but he also had some Issues with health, and with his hands. But Lucas is a proven performer. If he can be had at about, or maybe even a little less then what Mcfadden got, how is that not an upgrade for us ?

How can anybody state that a rookie DB would be better, even if we got Jenkins from Ohio State it would be a stupid statement to say he would be better than Lucas. Maybe the rookie does well, but maybe he is also another deon Figures....that name mean anything to you guys here :-)

The Rooney's are NOT Cheap. That was a bad wording from me. But, in this season where the Cap rises a ton, and we have alot of money to spend, even after any sort of new deals we give Harrison, or Miller, or anyone else. To just wait, and then go after strictly 3rd & 4th level players IS well....Conservative :-)

lilyoder6
03-11-2009, 08:31 PM
but but... faneca went to the PRO_BOWL..... we didn't have anyone of the off side... :(

fansince'76
03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I mean the poster who mentioned Snyder, and the Skins, and said how have they done, all the while patting himself on the back. Well dude, what about the constant spending the Patriots do ? You wanna compare their recent sucess to ours ?

Sure, "dude." Since the Pats made the up-until-then-very-uncharasteristic-for-them splurges via trade/FA for Moss, Welker and Adalius Thomas heading into the 2007 season, we have won one Super Bowl while they haven't won jack. Over the last 4 years, we have won 2 Super Bowls and they haven't won jack. It's 2009, not 2004 anymore. You also realize that they have let guys like Branch, Givens, Vinatieri and Samuel all walk since the last time they won a Super Bowl, since Kraft was too "conservative" to pony up the necessary cash to keep them too, right?

Next. :coffee:

devilsdancefloor
03-11-2009, 09:14 PM
If they are so damn cheap why are they always close (at times to damn) to the max on salary cap? They beleive in those who they know in organization and why not they know them! Mr Rooney is a hands on guy he knows his players and their families unlike other owners i would guess.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Hell we easily could have signed OT's like Jordan Gross, or the carey kid of Miami.

Both Gross and Carey signed deals with their teams before the start of FREE AGENCY. Therefore it was IMPOSSIBLE for the Steelers to sign either one of them.

Big difference between having the money to buy something and it actually being available to buy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 01:01 PM
the market has fallen out of the bottom for cb's.

all of the ones signed in the past few days are taking small deals for a year so they can audition, prove their worth, and hit the market again next year.

if we wanted, we could probably get him for a year and $2.5-3 mil.

Yeah, I would not mind if the Steelers worked out Ken Lucas. Could probably still get him for what you say or less and he is 3 years younger than DeShea Townsend, so veteran insurance with still a few seasons left in him.

lilyoder6
03-12-2009, 01:39 PM
who wouldn't want 2 sign a 1 yr deal with the defending champs who could re-peat.. lol

but i could see a couple teams interested in him...

ricksteelers55
03-13-2009, 02:47 AM
The Rooney's arent cheap,they are always tight with the cap,if you want to know who is cheap...Tampa's Glazer....

Vincent
03-14-2009, 10:23 AM
It's just that the Rooney's are always cheap. Gee, haven't you all figured this out yet

The Rooneys are frugal (characterized by or reflecting economy in the use of resources). There's a difference.

St33lersguy
03-14-2009, 12:57 PM
The Steelers could use him, the problem is they don't want to bring in starters, all they have ever done each offseason is build through the draft & sign low key role players & backups.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-14-2009, 02:37 PM
The Steelers could use him, the problem is they don't want to bring in starters, all they have ever done each offseason is build through the draft & sign low key role players & backups.

That is true. I keep looking at Mike Goff formerly of the chargers and wonder how cheap of a contract he will come in for?? There is a legit guard that might sign a 2 year contract in hopes of a Super Bowl.

Goff at RG would be better than Stapleton, but I still like the idea of trying to sign Kevin Schaffer instead.

SteelersTilIDie
03-15-2009, 04:12 PM
i would love to have him but he will command lots of $ and we aren't willing to overpay for anyone

lilyoder6
03-15-2009, 04:22 PM
of course he would be a nice addition.. but i think the FO have a lot of confidence in gay on being the new starter

SunshineMan21
03-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Lucas is a solid CB . . . he would definitely help us out, but he's no spring chicken and our FO doesn't make a habit out of signing veteran free agents. Maybe give him a Hartwig-like deal as an insurance policy?

Thing is, Lucas is a solid enough player that plenty of teams (especially New England) could use him as a starter--someone would offer him more money and more PT than us.

St33lersguy
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
i would love to have him but he will command lots of $ and we aren't willing to overpay for anyone

Same here. Of course the Steelers wouldn't "overpay" Jerry Rice in his prime

lilyoder6
03-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Same here. Of course the Steelers wouldn't "overpay" Jerry Rice in his prime

shit i would.. even if jerry was past his "prime" he would prob be a better slot wr than most in the game today...