PDA

View Full Version : Joe Jurevicius as a Steeler?

SunshineMan21
03-12-2009, 12:51 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3972010

I've always liked him . . . high character guy and a solid possession receiver. Basically a possession version of Galloway. He never really fit in with the Browns, and we could probably get him cheap.

ChronoCross
03-12-2009, 01:14 AM
This is a guy who is so inconsistent in his career he belongs with the browns... but yet again this is the off season so its the lets pick up this bumb player thread.

paw-n-maul-u
03-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Ok chrono? what do you expect him to come in and be a #1?

sometimes the people that lash out at posters are way more retarded than the ones that start threads.

yes little chrono, it IS the offseason ... so WTF else IS there to talk about.

obviously jerevicious would an extra camp body and some competition for our #3 and #4, so what is the big deal about making a post?

no one expects him to be anything more. maybe you are the bum who only gets excited about "lets get albert haynesworth" threads. cut the guy some slack, sure posts like this are annoying, but they always get the most responses and generate good discussion.

check the galloway and chris carr thread. also, i'm sure there is someone on here who thinks that bringing in a vet. wide receiver on the cheap (like Joe J) is a good idea.

.... ummm ... maybe even the steelers brass, considering they DID bring in a vet WR, (galloway), for a looksey ... some people have such huge 1000 post egos on here it makes me sick.

Galax Steeler
03-12-2009, 03:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3972010

I've always liked him . . . high character guy and a solid possession receiver. Basically a possession version of Galloway. He never really fit in with the Browns, and we could probably get him cheap.

The only thing that concerns me is what they said at espn the injury plagued Jurevicous.I know that Galloway had some injuries also but I think we need to try to pick someone up that is not going to be riding the pine.

ShutDown24
03-12-2009, 04:04 AM
I don't see the Steelers having any interest in him... But wasn't this topic already started on another thread earlier today?

FredScott
03-12-2009, 04:39 AM
Yea this guy is a solid #3 or 4 receiver when he's healthy but liek already mentioned this has been a huge problem for him and to be honest I just don't want to see him in the berg.

stillers4me
03-12-2009, 06:19 AM

sometimes the people that lash out at posters are way more retarded than the ones that start threads.

obviously jerevicious would an extra camp body and some competition for our #3 and #4, so what is the big deal about making a post?

no one expects him to be anything more. maybe you are the bum who only gets excited about "lets get albert haynesworth" threads. cut the guy some slack, sure posts like this are annoying, but they always get the most responses and generate good discussion.

check the galloway and chris carr thread. also, i'm sure there is someone on here who thinks that bringing in a vet. wide receiver on the cheap (like Joe J) is a good idea.

.... ummm ... maybe even the steelers brass, considering they DID bring in a vet WR, (galloway), for a looksey ... some people have such huge 1000 post egos on here it makes me sick.

Wow.

HometownGal
03-12-2009, 06:26 AM

Someone forgot to eat their Cheerios this morning.

Was that long winded diatribe REALLY necessary? :banging:

EDIT: I left this thread in the Steelers forum, although there is another JJ thread started in the NFL forum, because this thread is more along the lines of whether or not the Steelers should give him a try and the other thread is announcing that the Browns have released him.

steelballs
03-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Man...you can tell it's the off-season.

BlastFurnace
03-12-2009, 06:59 AM
No.

Steeldude
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
the problem i see with joe jurevicius is injuries.

Indo
03-12-2009, 09:38 AM
No.

Not just 'No", but....Hell no

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 09:43 AM
NO!!!!!!

He's had 7 operations on his knees in the last year. He's expected to retire.

Didn't we just have this conversation?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=578070&posted=1#post578070

lilyoder6
03-12-2009, 10:01 AM
i wouldn't of minded of getting joe b4 he went to the browns.. by then he was still staph free and was productive

klick81
03-12-2009, 10:06 AM
http://www.blinkster.de/animals/yet_another_animal_dir/hay_guys_whats_going_on.jpg

:sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM
the problem i see with joe jurevicius is injuries.

Yeah, but old veteran players with a history of injuries that are free agents are in fashion on this board. Maybe we should look at Orlando Pace, Marvel Smith, Jon Runyan, ............ah, never mind.

BlastFurnace
03-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Yeah, but old veteran players with a history of injuries that are free agents are in fashion on this board. Maybe we should look at Orlando Pace, Marvel Smith, Jon Runyan, ............ah, never mind.

LOL...I agree. We are the Super Bowl Champions...not Animal Rescue.

billybob
03-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all of the "lashing out" , but i believe we have more pressing concerns than that. If he is looking for a job , and we consider him qualified , for the amount we want to pay, why not. I think he was always a wanna be "Steeler" anyway.
Like i said though , we have more urgent needs,than to argue about some trivial position , that we already have "in case "coverage.
Our team is pretty deep with players just itching to have a shot at the big-time.
If we want to bring in some guys to add spice to the pusuit, then why not.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all of the "lashing out" , but i believe we have more pressing concerns than that. If he is looking for a job , and we consider him qualified , for the amount we want to pay, why not. I think he was always a wanna be "Steeler" anyway..

Always happy to oblige with some lashing out... :hatsoff: As for Joe as a "wanna be Steeler".......I dont think so. The guy was a Browns fan!!

Joe Jurevicius was convinced he could come back next season and help his hometown Cleveland Browns. They weren't so sure.

Jurevicius, a die-hard Cleveland fan who attended Browns games as a kid, was released by the club Wednesday http://dailyme.com/story/2009031100003422/

Curtain_of_Steel
03-12-2009, 12:22 PM
if we are signing a vet wr, it nees to be at the minimum. I think sweed will step it up.
He a big time learning curb in the SB and came back with a nice catch and nuclear hit on the ravens.
I think we need someone to definately push the kid in training camp, but ultimtaely I want him to be the #3 guy.

If our Oline can learn to block for 2 seconds, having some sets of 4 wideouts and the TE option would not be a bad thing.

steelreserve
03-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Hmm .. weren't you one of the people who thought re-signing Smith was a good idea?

I wouldn't mind signing Smith though to a smaller contract where he ends up a backup to a stud rookie LT at the end of the 2009 season. This way we have a stud rookie with the same skillset at Starks sitting there to take over if Smith gets hurt, and if Smith doesn't get hurt then the rookie gets to learn from one of the better LT's in football (IMHO) when he's healthy.

That is a great idea!! :thumbsup: and one I think that is most likely to happen.

Steelers might get a shot at drafting either Eben Britton or William Beatty and having them (or Tony Hills) eventually succeed Smith at LT. That would leave Smith, Hills, Colon or another later pick to eventually play RT.

Don't mean to point fingers, because hell, I still think that was a better idea than throwing all that money at Starks. It's just that in certain cases, an old beat-up veteran might offer you a better option, or at least some flexibility. Jurevicius definitely isn't one of those cases, but the situation at LT may have been.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Hmm .. weren't you one of the people who thought re-signing Smith was a good idea?

Don't mean to point fingers, because hell, I still think that was a better idea than throwing all that money at Starks. It's just that in certain cases, an old beat-up veteran might offer you a better option, or at least some flexibility. Jurevicius definitely isn't one of those cases, but the situation at LT may have been.

Yes, I was in favor of NOT giving Starks $8million and instead spending much less on a veteran like Marvel Smith(if healthy), Tra Thomas, or Jon St. Clair. Any of those guys on a 3 year deal that we can cut after 2 while we draft and train a suitable replacement like Britton or Beatty would be a better long term solution, IMO.

My point with this thread is the majority likes to complain about the health of a guy like Smith when they dont know what a "disc-ectomy" or P.L.I.F. is.........but then jump on the bandwagon of "sign Orlando Pace", "sign Jurevicus". In the case of a #3 or #4 WR , I think it is so unnecessary.

billybob
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I must haven the wrong thread..........sorry!!!!!!

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
EDIT: I left this thread in the Steelers forum, although there is another JJ thread started in the NFL forum, because this thread is more along the lines of whether or not the Steelers should give him a try and the other thread is announcing that the Browns have released him.

So we can start every cut FA player thread with...

Torry Holt...as a Steeler?
Ken Lucas...as a Steeler?
Orlando Pace...as a Steeler?
Boldin...as a Steeler?

...and it sticks?:flap:

wootawnee
03-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I miss Nate..................................:noidea:

billybob
03-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Sure sounds close anyway.

lilyoder6
03-12-2009, 01:31 PM
My point with this thread is the majority likes to complain about the health of a guy like Smith when they dont know what a "disc-ectomy" or P.L.I.F. is.........but then jump on the bandwagon of "sign Orlando Pace", "sign Jurevicus". In the case of a #3 or #4 WR , I think it is so unnecessary.

who cares who starts what thread... it's the offseason and what else is there to talk about???

and for ur comment about ppl not knowing what a disc-ectomy is or a p.l.i.f is.. that is why there is google.. not evryone is going to know what evrything is..

thats y U, me and evryone else likes to have a google taskbar in hand to search... unless if u have firefox or u use ask. jeeves..

OneForTheToe
03-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Boldin...as a Steeler?

I think we should have just one sticky thread entitled: Would ********** look good in B&G for the Vet minimum?

It would have 20,000 replies by now.:chuckle:

fansince'76
03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/M03.gif

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 01:42 PM
who cares who starts what thread... it's the offseason and what else is there to talk about???

and for ur comment about ppl not knowing what a disc-ectomy is or a p.l.i.f is.. that is why there is google.. not evryone is going to know what evrything is..

thats y U, me and evryone else likes to have a google taskbar in hand to search... unless if u have firefox or u use ask. jeeves..

Thanks for chiming in and completely getting things out of context skippy. :thumbsup:

I was responding to steelreserve about my comments regarding M. Smith and its consistency with comments about other veterans with a history of injury. I never said I cared who started what thread. I just care when some people jump to conclusions without having experience or knowledge about some things.

But, thanks for adding your 2 cents about google, firefox, askjeeves .......what, no love for Wikipedia??

devilsdancefloor
03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I think we should have just one sticky thread entitled: Would ********** look good in B&G for the Vet minimum?

It would have 20,000 replies by now.:chuckle:

you mean like this thread?

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=33691

SunshineMan21
03-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm not advocating signing Jurevicious to a big deal . . . obviously, that would be idiotic. But I think bringing in either he or Galloway on a 1-year, low-money deal could be a good risk.

This isn't the same as Marvel Smith at all--if Smith wasn't going to make much next year I'm sure the FO would've kept him.

steelreserve
03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Yes, I was in favor of NOT giving Starks $8million and instead spending much less on a veteran like Marvel Smith(if healthy), Tra Thomas, or Jon St. Clair. Any of those guys on a 3 year deal that we can cut after 2 while we draft and train a suitable replacement like Britton or Beatty would be a better long term solution, IMO.

Well, I think you're pretty much right about all of that. Didn't mean to give you an unnecessarily hard time.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not well-versed in which injuries (other than the obvious) are going to be the lingering kind that make a guy a permanent liability, but in the case of Starks/LT, I don't really care whether it was Smith, Runyan, Thomas, Pace or whoever, as long as we could spend less money and be reasonably sure they would hold up for a year or two. That's a legitimate help. But my comments on that will usually stop at "IF we get him for cheap" and "IF we think he can last a season." I honestly don't know which guys can or can't.

At #3 wide receiver, I agree, why the hell would we need any drama, especially when we already have the guy we're hoping can step in. So pretty much what you said.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not advocating signing Jurevicious to a big deal . . . obviously, that would be idiotic. But I think bringing in either he or Galloway on a 1-year, low-money deal could be a good risk.

This isn't the same as Marvel Smith at all--if Smith wasn't going to make much next year I'm sure the FO would've kept him.

I agree that the prospects of signing Marvel Smith(or another vet like Thomas or St.Clair) to keep the LT spot warm for a season or 2 was not the same as looking for veteran insurance and a #4 WR.

I just think there are a lot of other options at WR on the market than 34 year old Joe. The #3 or #4 WR is such a minor position of importance that it can be filled by dozens of guys for cheap. The challenge is finding the best fit.

Fire Haley
03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
If he can still walk, that is....

Jurevicius, 34, left no doubt that he intends to play one more year and leave the game on his terms.

"I know there is still plenty of good football left in me, so please don't throw any dog biscuits my way when I return to Cleveland Stadium," he said.

Jurevicius missed all of last season after a staph infection set in following a routine knee procedure in January. Complications required a total of seven surgical procedures, ravaging the knee. But after the last one, which he had done by the famed Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., Jurevicius was heartened that he would be able to play another season."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plai...l=2&thispage=3

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Well, I think you're pretty much right about all of that. Didn't mean to give you an unnecessarily hard time.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not well-versed in which injuries (other than the obvious) are going to be the lingering kind that make a guy a permanent liability, but in the case of Starks/LT, I don't really care whether it was Smith, Runyan, Thomas, Pace or whoever, as long as we could spend less money and be reasonably sure they would hold up for a year or two. That's a legitimate help. But my comments on that will usually stop at "IF we get him for cheap" and "IF we think he can last a season." I honestly don't know which guys can or can't.

At #3 wide receiver, I agree, why the hell would we need any drama, especially when we already have the guy we're hoping can step in. So pretty much what you said.

I didnt think you were giving me a hard time. I respect your opinions and arguements for the most part. (we wont get into FWP :chuckle:)

The Smith back injury was just the process of taking out some intervertebral disc fragments.......the back equivalent to "cleaning up a knee", but only the Steelers and Marvels doctors know what his post operative condition was. It seemed pretty realistic that he could come back from it as it wasnt a spinal fusion. That is why I included him in the veteran OT discussion.

Galloway, Mike Furrey, heck.....I'd probably rather take a look at Bobby Engram instead of Joe J who still apparantly isnt recovered from his staph and knee problems.

jjpro11
03-12-2009, 02:37 PM
we need a guy with speed, not a possession receiver. we already have hines to play that role as the go-to possession type guy and miller is as sure-handed as anyone. holmes can catch from anywhere and sweed is a wildcard. we need a burner that will stretch the field for us. thats why i would rather have galloway or a younger speedster, not a guy with 7 surgeries in a year. he will probably end up retiring.

BigBen403
03-12-2009, 02:43 PM
I could see him fitting the steelers system, making him another option for Ben on 3rd down conversions. He would be hitting people down field on other plays, would bring something to the WR's. Plus he's good guy too, I know cause I went to highschool with him. Anyway, would be interesting.

revefsreleets
03-12-2009, 04:39 PM
we need a guy with speed, not a possession receiver. we already have hines to play that role as the go-to possession type guy and miller is as sure-handed as anyone. holmes can catch from anywhere and sweed is a wildcard. we need a burner that will stretch the field for us. thats why i would rather have galloway or a younger speedster, not a guy with 7 surgeries in a year. he will probably end up retiring.

I disagree...EVERY team needs a possession receiver. The whole point of a possession receiver is a guy that makes catches so you continue to possess the ball. How many passes have we seen guys DROP on 3rd and___?

I say bring him in and see what he can do. What can it hurt? The guy said he'd play for cheap, and if he's done, well he's done, and no bread off our table...

HometownGal
03-12-2009, 05:44 PM

Boldin...as a Steeler?

Quit yer yammering. :pin: :wink02:

It's the offseason - what can I tell ya? :noidea::chuckle:

steelerdave1969
03-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I think the Steelers have their man as the 3 or 4 WR on the team in Limas Sweed. I would be very suprised if the Steelers brought Joe in.. thanks, but no thanks in my opinion.

Stlrs4Life
03-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Haven't liked him since he left PSU. He was good at TB.

billybob
03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Guess we will come to know soon enough , whether he is a fit or not. No harm in just looking , right?

Galax Steeler
03-13-2009, 03:41 AM
It ain't gonna happen.

steelwall
03-13-2009, 03:54 AM
I would rather have Galloway if it came down to it. Infact, I realy respect JJ for what he's done 'in the past' but I wouldnt be happy with that sign unless it was off the heels of a true #3WR pick up. I see bringing in someone that will compete with Sweed for the #3 spot and it will be up to him to win the job in training camp.

Bright side...hey we could have it worse...there's still alot of teams out there looking for that #1 guy.

iceman000123
03-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I'd rather have Joey then Joe. I mean both of them have had injury problems but I like our chances with Joey more then Joe since Joey has had some amazing seasons before this previous season. Of course I highly doubt we'll even consider picking up Joe
:tt03:

Fire Haley
03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer

Boldin...as a Steeler?

...and it sticks?

Quit yer yammering. :pin: :wink02:

Oh you just watch - the cat's outta the bag now. :hug:

clevestinks
03-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Joe is a better fit than Joey, in my opinion! Joe is a big target, with sure hands. If his knee is solid then he would be a great 5 o 4 wr.

Joey is 37, and was more known for his speed. At 37, how much is left. He is small, and his hads are just above average! Speed was his game, a few years ago!