PDA

View Full Version : Don Banks CNNSI Mock draft 3.0

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I like a lot of what Banks has here..........but he doesnt have Michael Oher in the 1st round :jawdrop:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/03/12/mock1/index.html?eref=T1

Texasteel
03-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Even if against all logic he makes it to 32, there's would be no way we could pass on him is there. Or do I totally have him overrated.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Even if against all logic he makes it to 32, there's would be no way we could pass on him is there. Or do I totally have him overrated.

No, you dont have him overrated IMO. I think Don Banks is a good writer, but not exactly a guy that evaluates prospects like Kiper, Mayock, Pauline, McShay, etc.

Oher is inconsistent and I thought would be the #4 OT taken before the Andre Smith debacle.......but watching the combine I had to rewind the tape several times just to make sure it was Oher in the drills. The kid is so athletic I thought he moves like an OLB. He might lack in a lot of technique, but a kid with that talent, athletic ability and experience goes in the 1st round..............unless there are pictures with him and livestock out there we done know about. :wink:

Texasteel
03-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Thank you Gonzo, I thought maybe I had completely lost my eye. I know that a few people have attach a couple red flags to Oher, but hell, right now Andre Smith looks like he wrapped in red caution tape and they still have him going in the early-mid 1st round.

MasterOfPuppets
03-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Thank you Gonzo, I thought maybe I had completely lost my eye. I know that a few people have attach a couple red flags to Oher, but hell, right now Andre Smith looks like he wrapped in red caution tape and they still have him going in the early-mid 1st round.yeah thats what i don't get....oher drops an entire rd, for not doing enough reps on the bench, but yet smith only drops out of the top 10 for looking like a pile of dogshit, with zero work ethics, and a shitty attitude....go figure...:doh: .....i'd still attept a backflip if we got oher.......i also noticed there's no wells in his first rd.....but yet a 4-3 team is gonna take a grossley undersized maybin #12 as a DE....:doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Thank you Gonzo, I thought maybe I had completely lost my eye. I know that a few people have attach a couple red flags to Oher, but hell, right now Andre Smith looks like he wrapped in red caution tape and they still have him going in the early-mid 1st round.

You know. Seeing Oher as the season went on and the bowl games and all star games progressed..............I think the kid was reading some of his own press clippings too much and he got complacent.

I think he put it on cruise control. Beatty and Jason Smith went into overdrive and Andre Smith turned the engine off.

SunshineMan21
03-13-2009, 12:26 AM
I doubt Oher drops even to the bottom of the first . . . if he even got into the 20s he would be a candidate for trading up. Not a mauler, but an excellent pass-blocker with great agility and speed--that kid will be a stud.

I would be overjoyed if we got Oher--he's had to overcome a lot in his life and seems like a Steelers type of guy.

The Definiti0n
03-13-2009, 01:42 AM
I agree with the postion but wrong player. Alphonso Smith will be a Steeler

SteelMember
03-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Hey, is that Bubba from "In the Heat of the Night"? :laughing:

Michael Keller
03-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I like a lot of what Banks has here..........but he doesnt have Michael Oher in the 1st round :jawdrop:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/03/12/mock1/index.html?eref=T1

EGJ

Given Bank's draft projection with the first 31 picks who would you select ?

While I understand the value of cornerbacks in general and specfic to the Steeler's need , I am really hoping that they get a QUALITY lineman.

MJK

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-13-2009, 11:04 AM
EGJ

While I understand the value of cornerbacks in general and specfic to the Steeler's need , I am really hoping that they get a QUALITY lineman.

MJK

Honestly, with Banks projection I would easily jump at the blue chip OT prospect in Oher, but I dont think its gonna happen. If William Beatty is there, I take him. He is one of the 6 premier pass protectors capable of playing the demanding LT position in the NFL.

This mock still has Darius Butler, Alphonso Smith, Sean Smith, Mike Mickens, Keenan Lewis and a bunch of other corners left and you could easily get one of them in round 2.

I honestly dont understand the "sky is falling" attitude and needing a CB just because we lose a guy in McFadden, that missed significant playing time due to injury. Yet we still had a top rated pass defense. :noidea: I say that keeping Ben upright and getting younger on the D line is much more important than a CB, WR, OLB.............but those are the sexy picks that fans want.

steelerdave1969
03-14-2009, 08:39 PM

As long as he Is Not our 1st round draft pick, I dont care if he is a Steeler...

SteelMember
03-14-2009, 11:24 PM
This mock still has Darius Butler, Alphonso Smith, Sean Smith, Mike Mickens, Keenan Lewis and a bunch of other corners left and you could easily get one of them in round 2.

I definately agree.

I think CB and WR are two positions that are very deep with quality players into the middle rounds. Pro-bowl players...probably not, but very servicable. Problem is, these are probably the two hardest positions to evaluate and project to the nfl level imo, but I think between Tomlin and LeBeau, they could find a talented player, even in the later rounds, at the CB position.

Galax Steeler
03-15-2009, 08:10 AM

I would like to have him also.

Texasteel
03-15-2009, 08:45 AM

It does look like a pretty deep draft for DBs. There is one name that I have see all over the draft boards, Darcel McBath of Texas Tech. I have seen him predicted in the 2nd round one place and 7th round another, most have him someplace in between.
Now Tech is probably my 3rd favorite team behind Iowa, and LSU, and I know I am not alway real objective, but does anyone else think this kid would help us at FS.

St33lersguy
03-15-2009, 09:54 AM
EGJ

No doubt I would select Oher. The pick would take 2 seconds. If Oher is a vailable at pick #32 & for whatever reason they pass on him I would wonder whether they want their OL to suck. Inexcusable if the Steelers don't take him given the need for a Tackle

SteelMember
03-15-2009, 11:09 AM
It does look like a pretty deep draft for DBs. There is one name that I have see all over the draft boards, Darcel McBath of Texas Tech. I have seen him predicted in the 2nd round one place and 7th round another, most have him someplace in between.
Now Tech is probably my 3rd favorite team behind Iowa, and LSU, and I know I am not alway real objective, but does anyone else think this kid would help us at FS.

I like the guy as a player. I also agree he is all over the board as it pertains to value, but sometimes these late risers/fallers are affected more by their raw numbers before the draft than all the tape they were ever on before they ran a 40 for the entire world to scrutinize. I originally had him as a 4-5 rd. pick. He may be in the 1st rd. by now. :chuckle:

I was listening to one guy of nfl net talk about how so many people put so much value on speed and I agreed with his stance that it's more about balance and body control. Just because you can keep up with a receiver doesn't mean your doing any good breaking up the play.

lilyoder6
03-15-2009, 11:32 AM
i think the reason ppl are worrying bout the cb position is because we did lose b-mac and deshea is 33... and there are several good corners who could come in and play from snap 1

St33lersguy
03-15-2009, 11:37 AM
This was a bad mock draft. Banks talks of Oher as if he is about to be indicted. He was as high as #8 on some mocks. Really can anyone imagine Andy Ried passing up this guy twice? Oher will not make it past Andy Ried's 1st choice

Michael Keller
03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I like that a select few of you guys agree lets skip the CB and go for the better athlete between offensive lineman or even a defensive lineman with a leaning toward OL.

At least I know if we do not pick one of these two positions I won"t be the only one on the ceiling. I can get my sex and drama elsewhere lets fix the trenches, please. .

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2009, 02:26 PM
This was a bad mock draft. Banks talks of Oher as if he is about to be indicted. He was as high as #8 on some mocks. Really can anyone imagine Andy Ried passing up this guy twice? Oher will not make it past Andy Ried's 1st choice

Yeah, but other than the Oher omission, I think a lot of it is pretty good as far as mock drafts go.

The Definiti0n
03-15-2009, 04:03 PM
why is Oher slipping any so many mock drafts?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
why is Oher slipping any so many mock drafts?

IMO, Oher was overhyped because of the book..."The Blind Side" and his feature in it. The kid is extremely nible on his feet and isnt gonna give up a ton of sacks, but he has never been the best run blocker. My first mock in feb I had him going to Chicago at #18 and I think he still goes near there or in the 20's.

Oher sometimes has lapses in his play and isnt powerful in run blocking as he overextends himself. Still, the kid just WOW's me with his footwork and I think he can be coached up to be a great all around OT. Monroe and Jason Smith are just more polished than him and Andre Smith is a better overall blocker.

That is my $0.02. If Detroit takes an OT at #1, I would try and trade Larry Foote and draft picks to move up to #20 and get him in a second.

SteelersTilIDie
03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
oher probably won't make it out of the top 25, or at least he shouldnt, but you never know on draft day anything can happen